RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,09:28   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 01 2006,13:51)
Based on the written component of my driving test, MY IQ is 187.

Plus, girls, boys and sheep all find me *very* attractive. I'm just mentioning this because ,erm, I'm a millionaire.

Do women beg you to father their childen, like they do with DaveScot?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,09:38   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 01 2006,14:28)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 01 2006,13:51)
Based on the written component of my driving test, MY IQ is 187.

Plus, girls, boys and sheep all find me *very* attractive. I'm just mentioning this because ,erm, I'm a millionaire.

Do women beg you to father their childen, like they do with DaveScot?

They fawn and posture to receive my seed. They know good genes when they see them. They are designed, not RM + NS jeans. RM + NS Jeans are K-Mark or maybe target. Mine are Versace Designer Jeans. Oh shit, I just named the designer.

Do you know that I live in a submarine like captain Nemo? Except mine also converts into an aircraft carrier so I can fly my stealth fighter that’s the best in the world that I designed 60 years ago. AND Michael Dell sends me a Christmas card.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

tsig

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,13:40   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Aug. 31 2006,18:39)
so, it seems that the general agreement is that alcohol is required to deaden the nerves before one can successfully navigate a complete thread on UD?

would that be the consesus opinion?

yes!! budwieser draft is my choice

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,13:51   

O-kay. Got a couple shots in me. (Burnett's Vanilla Vodka, in case anyone cares) Let's see if it can handle some full frontal tard:

For us strict creationists, ID could be used as a wedge to overcome Darwin and evangelize people. But that’s clearly not the intent of IDs
Comment by faithandshadow — September 1, 2006 @ 12:21 pm

Ungh!

(slowly picks self off floor)

I'm okay...I'm okay... need another shot or two...

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,14:01   

All right. You talked me into it.
*pops beer*

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,15:02   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Sep. 01 2006,19:01)
All right. You talked me into it.
*pops beer*

UD reminds me of a quote by Mencken I couldn't find so I'll just paraphrase it here: reading Uncommon Descent reminds me of watching a variety show being put on by the residents of a home for the retarded.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

tsig

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,15:49   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 01 2006,18:51)
O-kay. Got a couple shots in me. (Burnett's Vanilla Vodka, in case anyone cares) Let's see if it can handle some full frontal tard:

For us strict creationists, ID could be used as a wedge to overcome Darwin and evangelize people. But that’s clearly not the intent of IDs
Comment by faithandshadow — September 1, 2006 @ 12:21 pm

Ungh!

(slowly picks self off floor)

I'm okay...I'm okay... need another shot or two...

That's really an original idea.

They should run with it but watch out for wedgies. DOVER

jref psycho ninja

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,17:26   

Quote (ScaryFacts @ Aug. 31 2006,11:34)
Cordova quoting Jerry Coyne at UD:

if truth be told, evolution hasn’t yielded many practical or commercial benefits

Neither has heliocentrism.  (shrug)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,19:57   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Sep. 01 2006,22:26)
Quote (ScaryFacts @ Aug. 31 2006,11:34)
Cordova quoting Jerry Coyne at UD:

if truth be told, evolution hasn’t yielded many practical or commercial benefits

Neither has heliocentrism.  (shrug)

No, but it has had a very detrimental effect on the ultra-giant chariot wheel industry.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,20:03   

Quote (dhogaza @ Sep. 01 2006,13:38)
PaV starts a new thread ...

the more I read and keep up with experimental evidence, the more I question the existence of Natural Selection.

These boys don't get out in the real world much, do they?
Here's the thread...

They can't even read the article they cite.  No one pointed out that PaV gets it totally wrong.

Bob
P.S. I've just searched Origin of Species for hidden messages, and found out that it says "Bill Dembski is a credulous fool".  I guess this proves that I'm right to worship Darwin.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,20:43   

Forget the booze. You need a crapload of mescalin for this one:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1538#comment-58014

think states of matter have very little relevance to how chemistry works.

Maths is applied mind, physics is applied maths, chemistry is applied physics, biology is applied chemistry. We are biological beings who now posess mind. It seems to have gone the full circle.

Comment by idnet.com.au — September 1, 2006 @ 6:28 pm

Like, woooooooaaaaaah, toooooootaaaaaallly, Dude.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,21:03   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 01 2006,20:43)

Maths is applied mind, physics is applied maths, chemistry is applied physics, biology is applied chemistry. We are biological beings who now posess mind. It seems to have gone the full circle.

I was tempted to comment on the thread, but it best left to stand on its own "merits".

PS Rich,

I doubt I have time to write a thread topic at UDOJ. You seem to spend time there. Would you be interested?

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,21:17   

Geology ...he left out geology ...what has he got against rocks in his head?

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2006,23:24   

Dodgingcars:
I believe that the Bible is God-inspired, inerrant, and true (in it’s original languages).

What does that even mean?  Surely, he can't be including English?  And if not, on what authority does he speak?  I'm sure he has studied, what?  Arameic?  Hebrew?  Greek?  If he isn't fluent in these languages, what is the basis of his faith?  Yes, a trick question.  I'd love to ask him--if I weren't banned.

Some lovely O'Leary stuff on the thread, too.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,05:05   

This afternoon I was thinking about this post, and the thought struck me that the case of bacteria developing resistance to anti-biotics (which, according to Darwinists, would probably be the ‘classic’ argument for NS) has a certain force to it.

But as I thought about it some more, I began to re-analyze it applying to this case the little I know about bacteria’s reaction to anti-biotics. Bacteria respond to anti-biotics with what’s called the “SOS” response; the individual bacteria–in what appears to be a completely ‘pre-programmed’ reaction–repair their DNA strands by randomly adding nucleotides to the locations where the anti-biotics have caused their DNA to be spliced. It’s a last ditch effort for survival, and hence the “SOS” label.

But, again, let’s first note that while randomness is a component of this repair mechanism, the mechanism itself appears to be completely pre-determined.

Having noted the pre-determined nature of the repair mechanism, the question we’re left asking is, what role does NS play in this, if any at all?

When you think about what’s happening here, you see that you it’s a case of bacteria being lethally damaged by an environmental agent and the bacteria having to, in some way, respond to this lethal intervention. So it begins its SOS patch job. The bottome-line is that the bacteria’s patch job either works or it doesn’t work. It’s as simple as that. If the combination of nucleotides ‘randomly’ selected now allow the bacteria to avoid the kind of strand breakdown that the anti-biotic normally causes, then the bacteria survives. And, if it doesn’t work, it dies.

Let’s notice–and I think this is significant–that nowhere is there “competition” between the bacteria themselves. The surviving bacteria don’t survive because they can take up more nutrient than the other bacteria, nor because it has found a way to move around faster, nor because it’s found a way to reproduce faster. The bacteria ’survive’ simply because, in a pre-packaged, pre-prgrammed ‘random search’ fashion, it has found a two or three nucleotide combination that protects it, to some extent, from the lethal mechanisms of the anti-biotic. Thus, the bacteria are “competing” directly against the anti-biotic, and NOT against each other. Therefore, we can’t talk about “selection” taking place since there is either “survival”, or “no-survival”. So, in what way can we say that we’re dealing with “natural selection”? What appears is not “natural selection”, but “natural survival”. For me, this all brings back to mind the fact that NS is nothing more than a tautology: Natural Selection=’survival of the fittest’. So, who are the ‘fit’? The ones that ’survive’. And, who ’survives’? The ‘fittest’.

This is the ‘classic’ case of NS, and it seems as though no “selection” is taking place at all; just survival.

Comment by PaV — September 1, 2006 @ 7:53 pm

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,05:35   

Quote (Alan Fox @ Sep. 02 2006,02:03)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 01 2006,20:43)

I was tempted to comment on the thread, but it best left to stand on its own "merits".

PS Rich,

I doubt I have time to write a thread topic at UDOJ. You seem to spend time there. Would you be interested?

Sure, but it'll have to be after the weekend - I'm at a wedding.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,08:03   

Perhaps it's off topic, but if anyone out there wants a REAL stare-into-the-sun-if-the-sun-were-made-of-stupid experience, this one puts UD to shame. I know some of you out there already know about it, but in case you're not check it out. Not for the faint of heart.

A sample, tho there were millions more I could have picked:

"Marijuana is the Gateway Drug.

And Darwin is the Gateway Science.

First it's evolution. Then comes plate tectonics and the Big-Bang. Then comes Athiesm. Then comes self-loathing and misanthropy, which leads to elitism and superiority complexes. The resulting social ostracization leads to homoeroticism and other perversions. The insatiable demand for money to fund extravagances coupled with the sloth that accompanies the welfare check creates a visceral hatred of capitalism. Finally, the abuser is no longer able to feel for his country and multiculturalism takes over. The transformation is complete.

I've seen it happen again and again."

Logos, talk.origins [Comments (51)] [2006-Jul-23]

--------------

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,09:42   

This afternoon I was thinking about this post, and the thought struck me that the case of bacteria developing resistance to anti-biotics (which, according to Darwinists, would probably be the ‘classic’ argument for NS) has a certain force to it.

Indeed.  

But as I thought about it some more, I began to re-analyze it applying to this case the little I know about bacteria’s reaction to anti-biotics.

That'll be not a lot then.  

Bacteria respond to anti-biotics with what’s called the “SOS” response; the individual bacteria–in what appears to be a completely ‘pre-programmed’ reaction–repair their DNA strands by randomly adding nucleotides to the locations where the anti-biotics have caused their DNA to be spliced.

ARGH!
ANyone know any antibiotics that attack DNA?  How do they get in there to do it?

But, again, let’s first note that while randomness is a component of this repair mechanism, the mechanism itself appears to be completely pre-determined.

You mean it evolved beforehand?

Having noted the pre-determined nature of the repair mechanism, the question we’re left asking is, what role does NS play in this, if any at all?

How did the supposed mecahnism arise in the first place?

I could go on, but the stupidity is painful.

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,11:46   

Following Arden's link led me to quotes from this site.

Here's a sample statement from a thread debating Young Earth vs. Old Earth:
Please explain how if all planets originated from a big bang, why several of them and their moons seem to be flipped upside down on their axis, or at odd angles in their spin. Shouldn't they all be spinning the same direction?

Now THAT is DUMB!

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,12:55   

Anyone know any antibiotics that attack DNA?  How do they get in there to do it?
Most antibiotics either block protein synthesis by binding to ribosomes, block cell wall syntheisis or block enzymes involved in DNA replication, so they do get into cells, but they don't "splice DNA" as far as I am aware, although someone with better knowledge in this area might correct me. DNA intercalaotrs that damage DNA are used for a variety of purposes such as to attack tumours because if the DNA is sufficiently damaged the cell goes into apoptosis. Maybe he is confusing the two.

You mean it evolved beforehand?
This is why I think it all goes back to the origin of life in the end.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,16:34   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 02 2006,13:03)
[quote]
"Marijuana is the Gateway Drug.

And Darwin is the Gateway Science.

First it's evolution. Then comes plate tectonics and the Big-Bang. Then comes Athiesm. Then comes self-loathing and misanthropy, which leads to elitism and superiority complexes. The resulting social ostracization leads to homoeroticism and other perversions. The insatiable demand for money to fund extravagances coupled with the sloth that accompanies the welfare check creates a visceral hatred of capitalism. Finally, the abuser is no longer able to feel for his country and multiculturalism takes over. The transformation is complete.

I've seen it happen again and again."

But ID ain't about religion.  No siree Bob.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,18:13   

This may vanish soon: apparently Dense O'Leary thinks that Dawkin's view of "The Selfish Gene" ...means humans will be "selfish" and uncooperative, non-altruistic. She points to a guy giving part of his liver to help a sick infant as evidence against Dawkins, even though Dawkins explains his position in the opening chapter and cites multiple examples of human altruism. See here at UD , where the Dense runneth over.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,18:13   

Then comes plate tectonics

I particularly love that.  Hopefully stated by someone who lives on the San Andreas fault.   Right on top :)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,18:20   

Oh, Deadman, that's so great.

#

Denyse, clearly, you don’t know how science works. Don’t you know that altruism is EXACLY what evolution would predict?

Comment by Mats — September 2, 2006 @ 5:46 pm
#

One of Dawkins’ main points at the end of the book is that humans, although influenced by our genes are not controlled by them so we are able to act selflessly.

Comment by Chris Hyland — September 2, 2006 @ 6:13 pm
#

“One of Dawkins’ main points at the end of the book is that humans, although influenced by our genes are not controlled by them so we are able to act selflessly.”

Comment by Chris Hyland — September 2, 2006 @ 6:13 pm

How do we know that in writing his book, Dawkins’ selfish genes are not lulling the rest of us into altruism so that our genes pass on self-destructive behavior which leads to our extinction while his selfish genes survive to reproduce?

Comment by russ — September 2, 2006 @ 7:51 pm
#

Denyse, do you actually believed that Dawkins title refers to genes that make humans selfish?

Comment by Houdin — September 2, 2006 @ 8:16 pm
#

Ah, yet another example of a boneheaded post due to the rabid antiDarwinism of the IDer.

Comment by MikeFNQ — September 2, 2006 @ 9:22 pm

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,18:25   

Hah, "MikeFNQ" nailed it squarely on the pointy little head of Dense.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,19:21   

Then before you know it, it leads to dancing!

--------------

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,21:21   

I captured this exchange for posterity before it gets deleted.

Never having actually read the book, Churchlady is so brain damaged she thinks The Selfish Gene is about how there is a specific gene that causes selfish behavior in humans. :O

Then in the finest UD Tard tradition, she deletes all the posts that inform her of her ignorance based boner. :angry:

4. can’t help but laugh at the editor’s desperate need to remove posts that hold Ms O’Leary up to the ridicule she deserved.

Comment by MikeFNQ — September 3, 2006 @ 1:01 am

5. From moderator Denyse: I removed a bunch of posts here from Dawkins fans who are so absolutely sure of their position that they cannot be bothered to spell it out, but merely attacked the blog post. I am sure those posters will not want for a hearing among the Thumbsmen. (One caution post got caught up in it; sorry about that.)

Comment by O'Leary — September 3, 2006 @ 1:04 am

Ms O’Leary

6. If you ARE the editor doing the deletions then I was wrong. You are dishonest rather than just boneheaded.

Comment by MikeFNQ — September 3, 2006 @ 1:05 am

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!  Why, soitantly!   :p

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

mcc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2006,22:26   

So what is the deal with comments on UD these days, anyway? Stuff is displayed by default, stuff is hidden by default, everything you post is hidden until your account is blessed, what?

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 03 2006,04:44   

"Now, Miss O'leary...I know that a highly religious conservative woman like yourself doesn't want to be called 'Ms.'...
Miss O'Leary--WHO could have led such a fine journalist as yourself to attack a man's writings and not check the source material first? Who, who, who?....Could it be...SATAN?!?!?!

--------------

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 03 2006,05:03   

What's all this I hear about selfish jeans??

Why, those evil Darwinists should be ashamed, keeping those fine durable britches all to themselves!

...what?

...huh?

Oh.... never mind!

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]