RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (23) < ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 >   
  Topic: AF Dave Has More Questions About Apes, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,05:58   

Quote (sir_toejam @ May 20 2006,16:53)
If Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski, the remorseless killer of hundreds, was an athiest, it's odd that he sent his kids to Catholic school.

you're setting yourself up for an obvious creo answer.

should I?  of course :p

Obviously the reason that the Iceman sent his kids to Catholic school was so that they wouldn't turn out to be evil murdering atheists like himself.  It's just further proof that atheism causes mass murder.

duhhhh ;)

sorry, i just had to.

Or maybe Dave can revert to the standard "Catholics aren't really Christians" argument?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,07:49   

Where we differ is in the evolutionist idea that everything shares one common ancestor

We tell the creationists that this one ancestor is what they should call the "kind kind!" That God guy wouldn't have to be too smart to see that that's the easiest way to make "kinds!" :p

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,09:59   

Eric ... you seem to misunderstand the Creationist position

The MOMENT i read this, my first thought was...

Dave will now regale us with an exactly WRONG version of standard creationism.

which he promptly did.

at least he's consistent.

Dave-

you still don't get it.

We don't care if you disagree with us, it's WHY you disagree that is so ridiculous.

It's your presupposition that what you use in favor of your "arguments" actually constitutes evidence.

It doesn't.

as i said before, all it constitutes is projection.

Doesn't it puzzle you in the slightest that everybody here keeps asking you to provide evidence for your position, when I'm sure it seems obvious to you that you already have?

are you capable of analyzing yourself in the slightest bit?

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,18:01   

Quote (afdave @ May 21 2006,06:27)
You are correct that there are mountains of evidence that there was just one original "Ape kind" and one original "Dog kind" and one original "Cat kind" and one original "Human kind" and so on.

Just one? How did it breed? Asexually?

Was there also one original "Rabbit kind"? Or is Rabbit kind just part of rodent kind?
http://darrennaish.blogspot.com/2006....ts.html

Is there just one Kangaroo kind or are the Kangaroos part of  marsupial kind?

Is there a Penguin Kind?

Is there a dog kind, do wolves belong to it? Do bears belong to it?

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,18:45   

No. No. No. Dave, you completely misunderstand what common descent with modification means (which, of course, means you completely disregarded my admonition that you carefully read the Theobald article, because if you had carefully read it, there's no way you could possibly have misconstrued it so thoroughly).

Quote (afdave @ May 21 2006,06:27)
Eric ... you seem to misunderstand the Creationist position (it's OK, sometimes I misunderstand your position as well) ... I actually have no problem at all with "Common Descent with Modification" and I have said so here several times.  You are correct that there are mountains of evidence that there was just one original "Ape kind" and one original "Dog kind" and one original "Cat kind" and one original "Human kind" and so on.

No, there's no such evidence whatsoever of any such thing. What the evidence really shows (which you would know if you'd understood a fraction of what Theobald was saying) is that all life on earth can be traced back to one or a small number of very simple, unicellular or less, organisms. There's no ape "kind," or cat "kind" or human "kind." None of those "kinds" of organisms even existed until extremely recently (within the last few tens of millions of years, or slightly more than one percent of the age of the earth). For 75% of the time the earth has existed, there wasn't anything more complicated than a bacterium. If you could actually understand that the earth is six orders of magnitude older than your Bible tells you it is, you'd be wondering what God was doing with all that time while the earth was inhabited by nothing more complicated than a bacterium. What was he waiting for? Sweeps week?

In fact, if you really didn't have a problem with common descent with modification, there's no way you could believe in an earth 6,000 years old, because that's not remotely enough time for even your kinds to have diversified as much as you think they have.

And it is quite true that all the hundreds of variations within these kinds we see today are the result of Common Descent with Modification--modification meaning random mutation and controlled random mixing during reproduction.

Not hundreds, Dave. Millions. Millions. You're making the same mistake all creationists make; they think the bulk of the organisms on this planet are the ones they can see. You know, bunnies, kittens, blue jays, that sort of thing. Go to the tree of life home page, Dave.

Where we differ is in the evolutionist idea that everything shares one common ancestor, with my most interest in this regard being on the Ape/Human question.

And this is why you're a babe lost in the woods, Dave. This is where Creationism (whether of the Young Earth or the Old Earth or some subspecies of the Intelligent Design variety) get it completely wrong.
The evidence that all life on earth is descended from one or a small number of common ancestors, at least several billions of years ago, is what there's a mountain of evidence for. If you'd read Theobald closely, you'd get that. It's pretty clear you barely glanced at it.

We also disagree that random mutation and natural selection can produce anything like an eye where there was no eye before, or a flagellum, or what have you.  No one has been successful in showing how new features like this could have evolved by random mutation.

Dave, it's been shown dozens of times. In many cases we know exactly which mutations in exactly which locations resulted in exactly which changes. The fact that no one has actually witnessed it happen (even those Old Testament guys with their weirdly prolonged lifespans didn't live nearly long enough to see evolution happen) doesn't change that fact.

The changes are extremely minor changes.  This is because the information content required to make something as complex as a flagellum is so large (greater than 500 bits), that chance is ruled out.  And nothing simpler can be formed as a precursor, because it only would get selected for if it is complete and working.

Dave, if you'd even the most cursory reading anywhere other than at AiG, you'd see that this argument (irreducible complexity) has been completely blown out of the water. Behe couldn't make the argument stand, and Dembski couldn't make it stand. The argument has taken so many torpedoes below the waterline it looks more like Swiss cheese than an argument. I can't believe you would think you could come to a website inhabited by people who have read all the refutations of this argument and think you'd convince anyone.

So Dave, go back to Theobald, read it again, and see if you can figure out where you went off the rails. And then, after you've got that under your belt, let's try to come up with some evidence why the world is only 6,000 years old. Or, just admit that you cannot produce any. I've been waiting long enough.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,19:20   

Is there a Penguin Kind?

that brings to mind an old addage an ornithologist once told me that's kind of a running joke with them:

there's only 4 kinds of birds:

hawks 'n eagles (any raptor or related)
little brown birds (sparrows and the like)
dickie birds (humming birds and the like? - not quite sure i remember exactly)
ducks 'n stuff (any bird that ever goes near water)

penguins would come under the "ducks 'n stuff" category.

;)

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,21:40   

This is because the information content required to make something as complex as a flagellum is so large (greater than 500 bits), that chance is ruled out.
Dave could you please explain to me how you calculate the information content required to make the flagellum. Thanks.

Was there also one original "Rabbit kind"? Or is Rabbit kind just part of rodent kind?

Is there just one Kangaroo kind or are the Kangaroos part of  marsupial kind?

Is there a Penguin Kind?

Is there a dog kind, do wolves belong to it? Do bears belong to it?
My friend you have just discovered the exciting field of Baraminology!

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,00:42   

Doesn't it puzzle you in the slightest that everybody here keeps asking you to provide evidence for your position, when I'm sure it seems obvious to you that you already have?

Uh ... no, it doesn't puzzle me.  I did enough reading about the mindset of evolutionists before coming here that I was well prepared for what I would encounter.

We also disagree that random mutation and natural selection can produce anything like an eye where there was no eye before, or a flagellum, or what have you.  No one has been successful in showing how new features like this could have evolved by random mutation.

Dave, it's been shown dozens of times. In many cases we know exactly which mutations in exactly which locations resulted in exactly which changes.

Yes, of course ... you're talking about those wonderful 'Alice in Wonderland' descriptions of how the immune system evolved and such.  Have you ever read those?  If you did, you would see they are complete and total speculation of the highest order.

The changes are extremely minor changes.  This is because the information content required to make something as complex as a flagellum is so large (greater than 500 bits), that chance is ruled out.  And nothing simpler can be formed as a precursor, because it only would get selected for if it is complete and working.

Dave, if you'd even the most cursory reading anywhere other than at AiG, you'd see that this argument (irreducible complexity) has been completely blown out of the water.
Yes, I've read all those articles that 'blow the arguments out of the water' at T.O.  They are quite lame.  

The most credible sounding one I've read yet is Dr. Max's article which is being discussed on this thread, but as it turns out, after much debating all around the mulberry bush, we are finally back to the following statement by Jeannot which proves my point and destroys Dr. Max's argument completely.  I'm going to put this in lights so that no one will miss it.

Jeannot said ...
For the last time, you can't consider the loss of function alone as a valid evidence for common descent, because hundreds of mutations can break a gene.
</b>

One more time for emphasis ...

[b]For the last time, you can't consider the loss of function alone as a valid evidence for common descent, because hundreds of mutations can break a gene.

Remember, this whole thing started because Renier said ... "I used to be a YEC, but the broken Vitamin C gene in primates caused me to abandon the YEC position."

OK.  What did Dr. Max say?  He said that an error in the GULO gene was copied from  the common ancestor of apes and humans to both humans and apes.  He compared this to a copyright case and said that this basically proves common descent of apes and humans.

Now Jeannot just said that "you can't consider the loss of function alone as a valid evidence for common descent, because hundreds of mutations can break a gene," telling me that neither Dr. Max nor anyone else knows which mutation broke the gene in humans or which mutation broke the gene in apes.  Dr. Max was saying that his argument was that the 'error was identical,' but his argument was really just that 'apes and humans both have broken GULO.'  OK.  So they both have broken GULO.  Big deal.  It could have broken independently, just as it did in guinea pigs.  What does this have to do with Dr. Max's copyright case?  Absolutely nothing.  And you cannot consider the loss of function alone as a valid evidence for common descent anyway, according to Jeannot.

So we see that whereas Faid complains all the time about AIG lying, the truth of the matter is that it is Talk Origins that is lying.  You guys have been taken in by many slick arguments ...

I have a cure for you ... www.dissentfromdarwin.org ... hundreds of good scientists are jumping ship ... you can too!

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

Renier

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,01:09   

Afdave, the VitC thing was "the last straw on the camel's back" for me. If you think it was the ONLY thing that caused me to think that the YEC position is full of cr_ap, then think again. It is not just the VitC gene that is broken and shared, is it? Have you read anything of Viral DNA (pseudo) that is shared? We don't even mention the working genes that are shared.

Jeannot is right of course. ONE broken gene is not enough evidence. But, that's not all the evidence we have, is it? You appear to be distorting Jeannot's position a bit there lad. You also fail to see the relation between the human/ape GULO and the one in Guinea Pigs.

Talk Origins that is lying

Step by step, in good argument format, please support this statement of yours.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,01:09   

Dave, primates don’t share just one error in GULO. They share many errors; and each one could have broken the gene. They all lack, for instance the same exons. Since mutations appear one at a time, one mutation broke the gene (we don’t know witch one I think), and others freely accumulated after that. Some occurred in the common ancestor of all primates, some occurred only in hominideae (human and chimp) for instance.
Thus, primates don’t share all these mutations. What is particularly sticking is that the primates that share more errors are precisely the ones that were already known to be the closest, i.e. chimps and humans. Then comes others apes and monkeys, who share fewer errors with humans and chimps, as predicted by previous phylogenies.

Man, how many times have we explained this?
???

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,01:34   

Step by step, in good argument format, please support this statement of yours. [that T.O. is lying]
I will be quite happy to do so the moment that Faid and others give me their step by step argument that AIG is lying, because they made their assertion first.  On the other hand, if they feel this is too much trouble, if they will retract their statement, I will also retract mine.

In any case, I have a feeling that you will continue to use T.O. despite what I say about it, and I feel sure I will keep using AIG despite what you say ... so what does it really matter?

Man, how many times have we explained this?
You've explained the 'apes and humans are similar' argument many times, and I have also many times argued that 'apes and humans are similar' argues just as easily for Common Design as it does for Common Descent.  'Apes and Humans are similar' is all well and good, but it is not deterministic between the two views.

Renier, if you stick with me long enough, I will be systematically dismantling all the basic underpinnings of evolution and establishing the credibility of the YEC position.  

I have dismantled Dr. Max's argument, and I will continue to dismantle many more.

Young Earth Creationism is the only view which not only is consistent with all the evidence from many disciplines, but also the only view which answers mankind's biggest questions in life.

My hope for you and for all the good people here is that you will come to a knowledge of the truth ... and that it will transform your life as it has mine.

--------------

Renier

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,01:51   

Renier, if you stick with me long enough, I will be systematically dismantling all the basic underpinnings of evolution and establishing the credibility of the YEC position.

*Snort*, just like you have been promising some evidence. So far, you seem like a dishonest liar that has been trashed in the face of logic. I know you don't see it this way Afdave, and won't take my word for it. You are however, not doing the cause of your "God" any good so far. Take my word for it... These people are not stupid, and have VALID REASONS to think the way they do. I have seen more honesty in the science camp than in the ID camp. So, why could/can I see it and not you? Tell my why Davey boy.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,02:24   

You've explained the 'apes and humans are similar' argument many times, and I have also many times argued that 'apes and humans are similar' argues just as easily for Common Design as it does for Common Descent.
Here we go again. Over and over, we have explained how common descent explains the particular similarities we're talking about, and for the nth time afdave tells us that common design could explain it just as easily. And, I predict, for the (n+1)th time, he will not get around to giving us that "easy" explanation.

I have dismantled Dr. Max's argument, and I will continue to dismantle many more.
We're talking, here, either serious Andy Kaufman style comedy, or seriously delusional thinking.

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Paul Flocken

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,02:31   

Serious question Dave,
Did you actually retire from the Air Force or did you resign your commission sooner than that?

--------------
"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.  Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."-John F. Kennedy

Renier

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,02:38   

He REALLY believes this.... any votes vor hopeless?

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,03:16   

You still seem to be missing the point, there are many mutations in the chimp and human sequences that are identical, and not just point mutations. If you are arguing that the genes could have broken independently in both you don't seem to have much of an understanding of biology. I haven't read Dr Max's argument but if you think you have refuted the claim that the GULO gene does not support common descent you are sadly mistaken.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,04:00   

afdave,

Reality check: You have "dismantled" jack squat- except your last shreds of credibility.
Your previous post was an amazing dislay of your inability (or should I say unwillingness?) to even begin to understand anything we patiently (well, for the most part) tried to explain you in all these pages.
Also, this part

Dr. Max was saying that his argument was that the 'error was identical,' but his argument was really just that 'apes and humans both have broken GULO
Which shows that you seem to know darnn well what we're talking about, but still refuse to admit it and choose to distort it, demonstrates clearly how hopeless a debate with you is. So, I'll let others who may be more patient explain to you, for the umpteenth time, why it's not which mutation broke the gene, but the remarkable simillarities in the accumulated mutations in the broken part between humans and primates that matter- not that you'll understand it this time, of course.

I will be quite happy to do so the moment that Faid and others give me their step by step argument that AIG is lying, because they made their assertion first.
Dave, I have done just that. I don't even remember how many times I explained to you, in simple English (as far as I could), why arguing against something that is common textbook knowledge in genetics ("head to head" fusions) shows that the person is either carelessly making stuff up, or simply distorting them, which both qualify as a lie in my book. But, since you're so eager to protect your apologetic friends, I'll give you this: I'll say that this guy is either a liar, or a total ignoramus in genetics and, at the same time, an arrogant jerk who thinks he can argue about something he knows absolutely nothing about by simply pulling "arguments" out of his ####. Take your pick.

Now, feel free to explain your assertions...

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,04:13   

Imagine that about half the Portuguese vocabulary were identical to French, and half identical to Spanish. IF that were the case, would you have any reason to suspect that they shared a common origin, or could it be "just as easily explained" that the Portuguese independently just happened to pick the same words for the same things? After all, if the French picked a combination of phonemes to represent a particular thing, that shows that it can happen once, and there's no reason the same thing wouldn't happen in Portugal, too. And if it could happen once, there's no reason to doubt it would happen for half of the thousands of words that constitute the basic vocabulary. Anyone see anything wrong with this logic?

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,04:33   

So, I'll let others who may be more patient explain to you...
Yeah, well. Count me out. I'll wait to see a glimmer of understanding, or willingness to understand, before spending any more time trying to explain to afdavy high school biology - or anything else that challenges his Sunday School world.  

But on the AiG gaffe about chromosome fusion: Lying? Lying-for-Jesus? Self-deception? Self-deception coupled with the mandate to spread the gospel? I don't see much point in trying to draw distinctions between these possible explanations. BUT here's an argument that is so clearly wrong that even afdavy has come to recognize it. Surely the error has been brought to AiG's attention - if not by dozens of AiG readers, at least by afdave - right? Is the essay still posted on their website? Has the error been acknowledged and corrected? If not, what are we to make of that?

--------------

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,04:44   

Quote (Russell @ May 22 2006,09:13)
Anyone see anything wrong with this logic?

Nope, nothing at all.  I used it myself to try to claim the $500 in the "Prove Evolution" thread

Quote (Incorygible @ May 19 2006,09:02)
Are we allowed to use the same "arguments" and "logic" to establish the complete and utter independence of the Portuguese and French languages as you use in the apes/humans thread?

After all, while French and Portuguese share many, many letter combinations, I can show you that the word "idiot", common to both languages, is also common to German and English. Since no one in his right mind would argue that these languages are related to French and Portuguese, it is obvious that any and all shared letter combinations (and word meanings, grammar, etc.) could arise independently in each language, and there is absolutely no reason to infer common descent ("common design" theory is just as good!;).

When do I get my money?

I assume the cheque is in the mail.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,04:56   

Quote (Russell @ May 22 2006,09:13)
Imagine that about half the Portuguese vocabulary were identical to French, and half identical to Spanish. IF that were the case, would you have any reason to suspect that they shared a common origin, or could it be "just as easily explained" that the Portuguese independently just happened to pick the same words for the same things? After all, if the French picked a combination of phonemes to represent a particular thing, that shows that it can happen once, and there's no reason the same thing wouldn't happen in Portugal, too. And if it could happen once, there's no reason to doubt it would happen for half of the thousands of words that constitute the basic vocabulary. Anyone see anything wrong with this logic?

Beautiful.

Half-a-Dave, please help me out here. you seem to think you have won some contest or argument or something. I missed that part. Could you point it out to me?

And, on the portuguese and french thing,
I took your bet (modified the wager). As far as I know, we haven't begun to debate yet.

It bothers me that you are claiming victory before I have been able to muster a counter-argument. Also, I guess I should let you state your case first. I trust that you would
elaborate on your burgundian theory.

It sounds like you are pretty sure of yourself. I, am not so sure of myself. I fear I might have taken your challenge too hastily. Ah well, I took you for a fool and now I will have to back that up.

I could start a new thread for just that if you want. Maybe on my blog or yours.

It is troubling to me though that you are claiming victory when neither of us have offered any detailed evidence yet.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,05:24   

And, I predict, for the (n+1)th time, he will not get around to giving us that "easy" explanation.

OK, Russell, for the (n+1)th time ... 95% similarity between apes and humans supports common design in the same way as it does in house building or car building, for example.  A Ford Aerostar is 95% (?) similiar to a Ford Fiesta (do they still make those?) and this is because they have a common designer.  You see?  Again, this is not rocket science and does not require a PhD (or even a biology degree).

Serious question Dave,
Did you actually retire from the Air Force or did you resign your commission sooner than that?
Went on reserve status when I got out in 1996, then resigned my commission this year.

"This is a revolution dammit, we're going to have to offend somebody!"-John Adams

A great example of a great Christian "tough guy" !!

You guys just can't get used to the fact that you lost the Portuguese thing, can you ...

I haven't read Dr Max's argument but if you think you have refuted the claim that the GULO gene does not support common descent you are sadly mistaken.
You haven't even read the article and yet you disagree with me when I say I have refuted it?

Whoa!   ... well, I was warned about this kind of stuff ...

why it's not which mutation broke the gene, but the remarkable simillarities in the accumulated mutations in the broken part between humans and primates that matter-
You guys cannot get your story straight.  You say it's the similarities in the broken part, Jeannot says "you can't consider the loss of function alone as a valid evidence for common descent, because hundreds of mutations can break a gene."

Come on guys. Face it.  Apes and humans have some striking similarities, I agree.  Apes and humans both have what appears to be a broken GULO gene.  So what?  This does not prove Common Descent.

I'll give you this: I'll say that this guy is either a liar, or a total ignoramus in genetics and, at the same time, an arrogant jerk who thinks he can argue about something he knows absolutely nothing about by simply pulling "arguments" out of his ####. Take your pick.
 Great.  And I'll back off my "liar" claim for the T.O folks.  I will content myself to think they are just ignorant.

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,05:32   

You guys just can't get used to the fact that you lost the Portuguese thing, can you ...

John Adams was a deist too. You are so stupid I'm beginning to think it's a miracle.

I haven't even begun to debate the portuguese thing yet. Are you taking my bet? Have you, in fact, shot your whole wad to prove that it is a mix of french and spanish? I can only assume that you have only given the briefest outline.

But, 1/2-a-Dave,
Duh. You are an idiot.

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,05:33   

You haven't even read the article and yet you disagree with me when I say I have refuted it?

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I said you haven't refuted the claim that the gene supports common descent. For you to be correct I would have had to have said "I haven't read Dr Max's argument but if you think you have refuted his argument/article you are sadly mistaken." whereas I actually said "I haven't read Dr Max's argument but if you think you have refuted the claim that the GULO gene does not support common descent you are sadly mistaken." Do you see the subtle but important difference.

You guys cannot get your story straight.  You say it's the similarities in the broken part, Jeannot says "you can't consider the loss of function alone as a valid evidence for common descent, because hundreds of mutations can break a gene."
The point is that the genes have broken in exactly the same way and share the same mutations. You can't just consider the loss of function as evidence, you have to consider both the loss of function and the resulting mutations.

This is because the information content required to make something as complex as a flagellum is so large (greater than 500 bits), that chance is ruled out.
Could you please tell me how this is calculated thanks.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,05:43   

OK, Russell, for the (n+1)th time ... 95% similarity between apes and humans supports common design in the same way as it does in house building or car building, for example.  A Ford Aerostar is 95% (?) similiar to a Ford Fiesta (do they still make those?) and this is because they have a common designer.
Nope. You've dodged the question again. But at least you acknowledged that there was a question. Perhaps that's progress.

The question is not just "why is there similarity?" The question is "why is the pattern of similarities organized just like a phylogeny? Presumably your common designer designed guinea pigs, rats, monkeys and humans, right? Why is there a nested hierarchy of similarities in DNA sequence?

Shall we go for (n+2)?

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,05:45   

Quote (BWE @ May 22 2006,10:32)

John Adams was a deist too. You are so stupid I'm beginning to think it's a miracle.

I haven't even begun to debate the portuguese thing yet. Are you taking my bet? Have you, in fact, shot your whole wad to prove that it is a mix of french and spanish? I can only assume that you have only given the briefest outline.

But, 1/2-a-Dave,
Duh. You are an idiot.

You know, the funny thing is, if Dave had just backed down 3 days ago and said something like "Oh, whoops, my mistake, I guess Portuguese isn't really a mix of French and Spanish. It just sounds like French. Okay, I guess you guys are right", then this whole discussion would have evaporated and we would have held a slightly higher opinion of Dave's intellectual integrity.

But hey, if that happened, we wouldn't be talking about Dave then, now would we?

I think it's gotten to the point where Dave now thinks that if he admits a mistake on ANYTHING that his Christian arguments are all threatened. So he has to dig in his heels on every silly boneheaded mistake he makes, making his position MUCH worse in the process. So he has to declare all linguists and geologists and biologists 'irrelevant', and he certainly will never admit that the Founding Fathers weren't all a bunch of Fundies like him.

Sigh.

Oh, BTW, Dave? Being honest does not make one a wimp, whatever the Air Force and your pastor told you.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,05:50   

I haven't read Dr Max's argument but if you think you have refuted the claim that the GULO gene does not support common descent you are sadly mistaken.

And we have firsthand knowledge of this kind of dishonesty and puffed up claims to moral and intellectual superiority.  Despite the mistaken double negative ("refute" + "does not support"), it is clear to anyone with a modicum of literacy that Chris Hyland's claim is completely independent of the Max article.

Come on guys. Face it.  Apes and humans have some striking similarities, I agree.  Apes and humans both have what appears to be a broken GULO gene.  So what?  This does not prove Common Descent.

Given the effort put into repeatedly correcting you on what evidence is at issue here (especially regarding the broken GULO gene), you are now either too dense or too dishonest to debate any further.  Please feel free to claim glorious victory over the army of strawmen you erected on our behalf -- the sheer might of your lack of comprehension and disassembly was indeed quite overwhelming.  Well done.

I'll now join the ranks of those too exasperated with your idiocy and disingenuity (which you'll no doubt interperet as the "strength" of your position) to take you at face value as someone capable of rational discourse.  You have demonstrated unequivocally that you are not.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,05:51   

It's giving me a bit of entertainment though.
On the "necessary education" thread someone names Leonides posted this:
Leonides Posted: May 22 2006,07:27

Hi there.
I'm a lurker of several months and have been fascinated by the ongoing 'argument'. I jump in at this point since my background is Psychology, (I have a degree from UCL my Masters in Applied Forensic Psychology temporarily on hold due to real life intruding).

>What if we actually do get somewhere in convincing a creobot that their thinking processes themselves are disfunctional?

The problem here is that the thought processes actually are dysfunctional. There is no real way to alter the thought processes through a medium like this. It would probably require intensive deprogramming like you would try on Cult members.

If someone is open to evidence and so on then they can be persuaded. A lot of these people aren't (and in some cases don't want to be). I often feel that looking at the creobot responses, it's like severe anterograde amnesia that is specifically tailored to remove any evidence that is contrary to their world view. They may read and process responses then ten minutes later it's gone, which is why you find the same idiots re-posting on T.O. about Haeckel charts, the gaps in the fossil record and the rest of the PRATTs, despite being given refutations, links to Journals or the fallacies in their logic being shown up. Continuing the anterograde amnesia theme, I think some sort of 'Memento' style tattooing system might be useful, so they can think ''Haeckel', oh, look, on my forearm, um Haeckel, ah can't use that one.'

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,05:59   

Despite the mistaken double negative ("refute" + "does not support")
Oops, well you wouldn't think I'd be able to speak English what with me coming from England would you?

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,06:01   

Ed Brayton makes a similar (and as always, excellent observation):
There are some people who are so ridiculous that it would be impossible to invent them if they didn't actually exist. Larry Fafarman is one of them. A psychologist would have a field day with someone so utterly convinced of his own importance that he prefers to make a fool of himself for attention rather than risk non-existence.
 What difference, really, is there between Dave and Larry?  Has anybody noticed one?

685 replies since May 08 2006,03:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (23) < ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]