RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < ... 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2008,23:06   

There's a saying my Father-in-law uses.

When they finally put that woman in the ground the stone will read, "Here lies the truth, because it never came out of her".

Gotta love those old time expressions.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2008,23:08   

Let this be a lesson to you, children: Do NOT question "authority"!

Especially religious authority?

--------------
Help! Marxist literary critics are following me!

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2008,23:15   

Right. Because science never rewards revolutionary ideas.

You wonder sometimes how creationists have the brains to feed themselves, or drive around in cars.

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2008,23:22   

Except that she thinks creationism is a revolutionary idea.

--------------
Help! Marxist literary critics are following me!

jupiter

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,00:03   

Quote (blipey @ Feb. 12 2008,22:30)
The pictures gone because, uh...well, it seems that Mr. DNA was embarrassed by Ftk's usage of his pic.  That stretches things too far to be comprehensible.  Nicely reworked, Ftk.

Wait, didn't y'all just go through this a few pages ago, with FTK ganking somebody's copyrighted photo of a kippered herring reciting a sestina? Y'all were, "Yo, just ask! Creative Commons!" and she was all, "Tee-hee! You meanies! I meant to do that except I didn't know any better! Now I do and I won't anymore! Hee-tee!"

Maybe I dreamed it. I tend to have really boring dreams.

Anyway, she is pretty humorless, isn't she? But it's not her fault, really. All she wanted was an edit button, just one edit button, and y'all wouldn't give it to her.*

*I'll just leave this teed up for whoever wants it.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,03:10   

If you search for the word "Darwin" on FTK's blog there are approx 37 instances.

Seems to me if ID was science there would be no need to mention Darwin. Why not just talk in a positive way about ID rather then a negative way about Darwin?

FTK, is it the case that there is nothing positive to say about ID and ID research and that's why you mention "Darwin" 37 times?

Why not lay of "Darwinism" for a few weeks FTK and only report the positive progression that ID is making?

Any chance of a blog story about ID? Or proof for ID? Or evidence for any non-materialistic phenomenon?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,05:38   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Feb. 12 2008,21:13)
Kenneth Miller (from above):

Yes, the explosive diversification of life on this planet was an unpredictable process. But so were the rise of Western civilization, the collapse of the Roman Empire, and the winning number in last night's lottery. We do not regard the indeterminate nature of any of these events in human history as antithetical to the existence of a Creator; why should we regard similar events in natural history any differently? There is, I would submit, no reason at all. If we can view the contingent events in the families that produced our individual lives as consistent with a Creator, then certainly we can do the same for the chain of circumstances that produced our species.

Here I think Kenneth Miller, for whom I have great admiration, has taken a subtly wrong turn. He is correct in stating that events in natural history are no more antithetical to the existence of a creator than the other indeterminate events he cites above. However, as I've stated above, natural history bodes ill for many more specific theological assertions regarding the nature of human beings relative to any such creator: e.g., we are made in God's image, we have souls that set us apart ontologically from other creatures, the nature of the universe generally embodies a moral code that takes note of us, etc. In my opinion, these things can't be true, if the essentials of evolutionary theory are true. And without those assertions a distant creator doesn't get much work done in the realm of the human existential predicament.

I'm repeating myself, without getting much of a rise out of anyone. But there it is.

Bill,

I know it wasn't me you were seeking to get a rise out of, but the reason you didn't is twofold:

1) You expressed what you wrote beautifully

2) I erm, well, hahaha, you know, agree wholeheartedly with you on that issue.

I particularly agree with:

I think thoughtful religious persons who understand and accept the real implications of evolutionary theory and the natural history of life on this planet cannot but experience a severe challenge to their faith. And it is my opinion that pro-science advocates who are making comforting sounds regarding the compatibility of many levels of traditional religious assertion and science, particularly evolutionary science, are mistaken. There is severe conflict there, and that accounts for many elements of the culture wars.

But as before, it is my belief that it is the natural world itself, and our indisputable place in it, that presents this challenge.

There is a huge swathe of specific theologies that are completely at odds with the reliable, repeatable, independant observation of the natural universe. Does this prevent one from believing in a deity/is this at odds with belief in a deity? Not entirely, no. However it is at odds, and it prevents one having a consistent belief in certain specific deities as described in certain specific theologies.

This is easily exemplified by the classic creationist dilemma. A good friend, and former colleague, of mine is a de facto  creationist. She has a strong christian faith, and whilst a scientist herself, (of no mean accomplishment I must add) she would be the first to admit that outside of her field (synthetic chemistry) she hasn't investigated the relevant science at all. We were discussing this once and she said to me "I believe in god, the bible is the word of god, and the information in the bible is true. If one bit of it is wrong, all of it could be wrong and this would be the end of my faith", or words to that effect.

As I mention above, this position is one she maintained in quite deliberate ignorance of the relevant science and philosophy, she didn't want to investigate it or think about it too deeply. We can perhaps speculate about the reasons for that. My reply was that she was on a hiding to nothing. The specific theological position she had decided to occupy brought her into conflict, with her faith potentially forfeit, with not only the best science but the best philosophical and theological (yes, yes I know) thought of the last few centuries. She'd set herself up for a fall. I successfully (and politely and gently, shock horror) convinced her that her belief in a deity was not predicated on a specific "literal" reading of the bible, her faith could be maintained without adhering to a naive "literalist" interpretation. How I did this is by appealling not to her understanding of science but to the aspects of other theological positions that are more compatible with science etc.

Granted these are perhaps but a step in a long road to a rational perspective, BUT I don't think that's a necessary thing. While not religious in the overt sense that would be understood by most Americans (CofE/UKian christianity is a far more woolly and "polite" affair than it's USAian cousin more often than not) this lady's faith was of profound importance to her. Not in a happy clappy church every Sunday sanctimonious sense, but in a deeply personal, private sense. The thing that allowed her to have a more informed faith was the fact that she realised she had set herself up for a fall, like I said, with her loss of faith as the potential consequence. She changed her theological perspective because she realised she was advocating a perversely naive theology, one that would ultimately cause her to lose that which was precious to her.

So we arrived at a point where we obviously disagreed about a huge number of things (virgin birth, divinity of Jesus, supernatural miracles etc etc) BUT her theological perspective had been sufficiently changed that she could at least rationally confront aspects of the world around her without fear that her profound faith was a potential casualty of that confrontation. Maybe FTK and her theological ilk would argue I'd somehow harmed my friend by destroying her faith, and admittedly I feared that this dogmatic route was one my friend might take. I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't. The thing these chumps are missing, were they to argue thus, is that her faith is very much intact, all she has discarded is the naive and erroneous doctrines of a specific theology. She's also now a keen reader of theology, philosophy and different branches of science. One suggestion she particularly liked was that one could think that there are two revelations, the first of nature, the second of scripture. We know the second has been adulterated by humans, the first is direct access to the creator...if you believe such things.

The militant atheist in me might see this as a failure, she is still a person who has specific faith in certain supernatural events and advocates a good deal of anti-reason, but even though I am confessedly a militant atheist of the most brutal kind, I can't help but see our discussions, and their result, as a massive success. We might disagree about the irrational, anti-reason elements of her faith BUT I am more than content to let that disagreement stand because her faith is now at least partially informed by the world around her, NOT completely by some specific doctrinaire theological ideology that she really hadn't thought through. I think that's the best we can hope for in general.

Sure I think that the natural world will present her with more challenges to her faith (not merely her theology), and sure I think that the careful and reason-based examination of the natural world is antithetical to that faith in an epistemological sense. We don't, perhaps sadly, live in some rationalist utopian idyll. Whilst I might prefer that people realised the limitations of faith in toto I'll cheerfully settle for people realising the limitations of specific theologies and abandoning those in favour of more reason-centred ones. Shades of grey, not black and white.

So perhaps I've nipped off at one of my usual large tangents, perhaps not. The problem I have is I agree with you. A decent understanding of the best evidence and data we have regarding the natural world is entirely at odds with the things you mention (souls, god's image, universal anthropocentirc moral code imprinted on the universe etc) to name just a few. However these, while certainly deemed articles of faith for some theological stances, are the merely trappings of specific theologies, it is possible to formulate other theological positions that are not in contradiction to the available data. I think that is an important point we can make in our combatting of certain theological stances. It's (at least initially) not necessary to abandon faith whole cloth, it is only necessary to abandon certain theological positions that may be held by faith.

However, this sows the seeds of theistic faith's own destruction, I think it at least leads logically to deism or some kind of theistic agnosticism, if not a lack of belief in the supernatural all together. I agree that we are highly mistaken if we try to claim that certain traditional theologies have nothing to fear from any aspect of science or rational enquiry, specifically evolutionary biology in this instance. I'd also go further and say that in the cases where people DO shift their theological perspective to be more congruent with the products of reasoned enquiry (and the process of reasoned enquiry itself) they can end up occupying a philsophical position in all ways indistinguishable from a completely rational one. This is where people become de facto atheists, their claims of faith are so malleable on the basis of the evidence that they are not really claimed by faith at all.

Didn't Dennett once describe the scientific method as a kind of philsophical universal acid? It eats away a cherished notions unsupported by the data. Perhaps what FTK and others fear is that once they apply that universal acid to one thing....

Perhaps they simply deliberately don't understand the relevant issues at all and have constructed some naive , hypocritical relativism in order to defend their naive theology.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,06:16   

Quote (Louis @ Feb. 13 2008,06:38)
Didn't Dennett once describe the scientific method as a kind of philsophical universal acid? It eats away a cherished notions unsupported by the data. Perhaps what FTK and others fear is that once they apply that universal acid to one thing....

Perhaps they simply deliberately don't understand the relevant issues at all and have constructed some naive , hypocritical relativism in order to defend their naive theology.

Louis

Dennett's "universal acid" was selectionist causation, a notion found in Darwin's Dangerous Idea that is directly relevant to the point Louis and I have made:

"Did you ever hear of universal acid? This fantasy used to amuse me and some of my school boy friends...Universal acid is a liquid so corrosive that it will eat through anything! The problem is: what do you keep it in? It dissolves glass bottles and stainless-steel canisters as readily as paper bags. What would happen if you somehow came upon or created a dollop of universal acid? Would the whole planet eventually be destroyed? What would it leave in its wake? After everything had been transformed by its encounter with universal acid, what would the world look like? Little did I realize that in a few years I would encounter an idea - Darwin's idea - bearing an unmistakable likeness to universal acid: it eats through just about every traditional concept, and leave in its wake a revolutionized world-view, with most of the old landmarks still recognizable, but transformed in fundamental ways.

"Darwin's idea had been born as an answer to questions in biology, but it threatened to leak out, offering answers - welcome or not - to questions in cosmology (going in one direction ) and psychology (going in the other direction). If redesign could be a mindless, algorithmic process of evolution, why couldn't that whole process itself be the product of evolution, and so forth, all the way down? And if mindless evolution could account for the breathtakingly clever artifacts of the biosphere, how could the products of our own "real" minds be exempt from an evolutionary explanation? Darwin's idea thus also threatened to spread all the way up, dissolving the illusion of our own authorship, our own divine spark of creativity and understanding.

"Much of the controversy and anxiety that has enveloped Darwin's idea ever since can be understood as a series of failed campaigns in the struggle to contain Darwin's idea within some acceptably "safe" and merely partial revolution" (p. 63).

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,06:19   

Quote (Chayanov @ Feb. 12 2008,23:02)
In other news, Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

War is Peace!

Love is Hate!

ID is Religion!

Soylent Green is people!

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,06:31   

Louis

You're an appeaser.  neville chamberlain of the church burning ebola boys, fer shore fer shore.

just kidding.  good story.

ok maybe a little bit.

good old religion wars.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,06:42   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Feb. 13 2008,12:16)
Dennett's "universal acid" was selectionist causation...

Bugger! Thanks for correcting me, I haven't read Darwin's Dangerous Idea in years and must have become confuserisated. Mibad.

{unhappily mumbles comment about becoming senile at 33} ;-)

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,06:45   

And on the subject of ideas I like, this is a doozy of a description for something we're all familiar with:

Fractal Wrongness

Nice! A two word phrase that sums up a complicated phenomenon so perfectly that understanding is immediate upon seeing it written down. Le mot juste, n'est ce pas?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,07:03   

What an excellent concept - here's the quote from the link:

Fractal Wrongness:

The state of being wrong at every conceivable scale of resolution. That is, from a distance, a fractally wrong person's worldview is incorrect; and furthermore, if you zoom in on any small part of that person's worldview, that part is just as wrong as the whole worldview.

Debating with a person who is fractally wrong leads to infinite regress, as every refutation you make of that person's opinions will lead to a rejoinder, full of half-truths, leaps of logic, and outright lies, that requires just as much refutation to debunk as the first one. It is as impossible to convince a fractally wrong person of anything as it is to walk around the edge of the Mandelbrot set in finite time.

If you ever get embroiled in a discussion with a fractally wrong person on the Internet — in mailing lists, newsgroups, or website forums — your best bet is to say your piece once and ignore any replies, thus saving yourself time.

We've all seen, and argued with, these people. (Salvador comes first to mind, but there have been quite a few others.)  In fact, I'll confess that in at times I've been perversely and somewhat obsessively attracted to such arguments.  In my partial defense, I think my goal was to try to push the wrongness to more and more specific levels in order to see where the core issues were, and to hone the specificity of my own arguments.  But at times I've just been fascinated, in a train wreck sort of way, to watch the contortions the fractally wrong person will go through to avoid any admission of error or any change of mind.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,07:20   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Feb. 13 2008,12:31)
Louis

You're an appeaser.  neville chamberlain of the church burning ebola boys, fer shore fer shore.

just kidding.  good story.

ok maybe a little bit.

good old religion wars.

I know you iz making an funneh, but I'll riff on this idea anyways 'coz I finks itz important and all that:

Like Skeptic failed to realise in the interminable thread of multiple misunderstandings, simply because there exists an epistemological conflict, or because one mechanism of acquiring knowledge is antithetical to another (claimed, failed) mechanism, or because ugly fact slays beautiful hypothesis, or whatever, it doesn't follow that antipathy is the logical consequence, or even desirable/desired. Some people seem to think that acknowledging the fact that reason is antithetical to faith (epistemologically), or even just that certain products of reason are at odds with certain theological ideas, immediately marks one as desring conflict, antipathy and all the assorted nonsense that accompanies it.

This is an accusation that sceptics, atheists, rationalists etc etc encounter very frequently. It is, IMO (and I Am Not A Psychologist), due to the intimate link people make between their ideas and their person. We define ourselves to some extent by our ideas. Some people act as if the disproof/refutation of a cherished idea is somehow a slur or criticism of them as people. (I call it the reverse ad hominem but only because I haven't thought up a better name for it yet) The ability to simply be wrong is rare, we are taught from an early age that being in error is somehow "bad". It's an awfully hard thing to overcome.

It's like I've said before, there really is no them and us, there is only us. To take an old example, how many serious scientists were fooled by Uri Gellar? Quite a few IIRC! Why? a) Because scientists are used to dealing with Mother Nature and while she is a cunning, wily and highly demure bitch who only lets you peel up her skirt occasionally and after much effort, she is at least honest and consistent. If you can peek up her skirt one way, you can get anyone to peek up her skirt that self same way. Gellar is a con artist, fundamentally dishonest, his intent is to decieve, that's the purpose of the act. Scientists are habitually unused to dishonest phenomena for the reason mentioned above, b) Because scientists are human too! Shock horror! We sceptics/atheists/rationalists/whatever are prone to exactly the same foibles as our credulous cousins. It is perhaps a matter of degree, there must be a spectrum of gullibility etc by virtue of the vagaries of simple biology, but that does not negate the simple fact that we can, and do, make those identical mistakes. We must never forget this, lest become that which we are striving to change.

This is not some mealy mouthed expression of relativist appeasement, it is merely an attempt at humility of a sort! I think the one controversial topic, as I've said before, is the issue of tactics: Chamberlain or Churchill (or perhaps in my case, Genghis Khan). Personally I think appeasing people is a huge cock up. If we're going to go down into the trenches and wrestle in the mud with creationists and the like then whilst we don't have to fight dirty, we at least have to fight hard. To mix at least 4 metaphors and aphorisms! However, like I said above, real life contains very little black and white, there is a huge degree of shades of grey, and to be honest, I'm willing to admit that a) slightly lighter grey is all our attempts at Enlightenment are likely to acheive (the reality of our primate nature prevents all else, at least right now), and b) I'm actually quite happy with a sufficiently light grey that involves more people waking up to a few simple and acheivable intellectual goals. As even the most "rabid" "militant" atheists like Dawkins and PZ would cheerfully agree.

Recognition of what is likely to be acheived and a certain pragmatism are not appeasement. Like Bill said, I think those people who pretend that certain findings of science, and even the scientific method, are not antithetical to certain tradition theologies, i.e appeasement, are making a huge error. They are prostituting the science AND the religion for the sake of a quiet life. I happen to think that's intellectual cowardice, and believe me, I'm being very polite about that! Granted, there is a place for the gradual and gentle approach, honeying the medicine is by no means a bad idea (see above), but appeasement is not honeying the medicine, it's homeopathy. At best!

I rather like that analogy so I'll leave it there.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,08:06   

Quote (Chayanov @ Feb. 12 2008,23:22)
Except that she thinks creationism is a revolutionary idea.

Yeah, creationism is revolutionary.  Sun revolving around the earth.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,09:14   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Feb. 13 2008,08:03)
What an excellent concept - here's the quote from the link:

Fractal Wrongness:

The state of being wrong at every conceivable scale of resolution. That is, from a distance, a fractally wrong person's worldview is incorrect; and furthermore, if you zoom in on any small part of that person's worldview, that part is just as wrong as the whole worldview.

Debating with a person who is fractally wrong leads to infinite regress, as every refutation you make of that person's opinions will lead to a rejoinder, full of half-truths, leaps of logic, and outright lies, that requires just as much refutation to debunk as the first one. It is as impossible to convince a fractally wrong person of anything as it is to walk around the edge of the Mandelbrot set in finite time.

If you ever get embroiled in a discussion with a fractally wrong person on the Internet — in mailing lists, newsgroups, or website forums — your best bet is to say your piece once and ignore any replies, thus saving yourself time.

We've all seen, and argued with, these people. (Salvador comes first to mind, but there have been quite a few others.)  In fact, I'll confess that in at times I've been perversely and somewhat obsessively attracted to such arguments.  In my partial defense, I think my goal was to try to push the wrongness to more and more specific levels in order to see where the core issues were, and to hone the specificity of my own arguments.  But at times I've just been fascinated, in a train wreck sort of way, to watch the contortions the fractally wrong person will go through to avoid any admission of error or any change of mind.

This metaphor yields one additional dividend: as I indicated earlier in this thread, astoundingly complex fractals arise from simple generating functions/natural processes. Upon encountering fractal wrongness we should look for an analogous simple - or even simpleminded - generating function that turns out self-similar error at every scale. The turbulence that arises when "God said it, I believe it, that settles it" encounters reality might be it.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,09:47   

HEY LOUIS -

Ftk has quoted your comments from the bathroom wall extensively at her blog. Naturally, she omitted your closing caveat:

P.S. WARNING TO CERTAIN PEOPLE (NOT R. BILL. I'm looking at YOU FTK): The above post may contain an attempt at humour. Tongue may have been applied to cheek and salt may have to be pinched. Some of the sentiments are serious however. Caution: May involve thinking.

This in an article entitled "Misleading articles...frustrating." She closes with,
I do so abhor these type of articles primarily due to the fact that the author has set out to deem "creationists" as dishonest, deceptive, and guilty of distorting facts.

Gotta love it.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,10:19   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Feb. 13 2008,15:47)
HEY LOUIS -

Ftk has quoted your comments from the bathroom wall extensively at her blog. Naturally, she omitted your closing caveat:

P.S. WARNING TO CERTAIN PEOPLE (NOT R. BILL. I'm looking at YOU FTK): The above post may contain an attempt at humour. Tongue may have been applied to cheek and salt may have to be pinched. Some of the sentiments are serious however. Caution: May involve thinking.

This in an article entitled "Misleading articles...frustrating." She closes with,
I do so abhor these type of articles primarily due to the fact that the author has set out to deem "creationists" as dishonest, deceptive, and guilty of distorting facts.

Gotta love it.

LOL really? I'm, erm, honoured....is that the right word?

I really can't even be bothered to go there and correct her, she'll think, and post, what she likes, regardless of the facts. It's an obvious attention seek. I wonder if she links the original post? I have to say that this is a cracking example of her behaving dishonestly yet again. One more to add to the pile, eh?

Way to go FTK! Such honesty you display!

{golf clap}

Tell me, when did lying for Jesus become ok? Wasn't there some commandment about bearing false witness? Oy vey, such a "christian" you are!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,10:40   

Louis - re:  Earlier Post.

Thanks, I have saved your earlier post as Chapter 1.

I will need @ 12 - 15 more chapters for my Publisher.

Can I has USA rights?

But srlsly = Excellent, I have saved it, and I will of course use proper attribution* if I quote anything, although, I may paraphrase, and put in my own words, and then your chance to make history crumbles faster than a IDers explanation.

This is perfect for an on-going discussion I am having with several Creos at another venue.

added in edit:

* You don't mid being referred to as Lord Haw-Haw right?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,10:54   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Feb. 13 2008,10:47)

Quote (F'ingTheKids @ whenever)

It is entirely unnecessary to "set out to deem 'creationists' as dishonest, deceptive, and guilty of distorting facts". [What's up with the scare quotes in the original?]

Creationists do a fine job of demonstrating their dishonesty, deception, and distortion of facts all by themselves.  Others just point it out.

ETA: Note how quotes around the word Creationists were entirely unnecessary as well.

ETAA: Although I should have used them in the edit.

Edited by Lou FCD on Feb. 13 2008,11:56

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,10:56   

FtK attempts to justify her transgressions thusly  
Shoot, I could have used much worse...there's plenty here to work with.  Maybe I should go back and pull some quotes about Jesus whacking off...or perhaps the cartoon that Dave's son drew for a parody site would have been a lovely example.

This place is a oasis of religion bashing, darwin loving, and atheism=evolution examples.

It shouldn't have to be pointed out to her, but apparently she has forgotten a few things.

1) This is the peanut gallery, after the bar closes. Attempts to paint AtBC as a "science forum" are misleading and pathetic. There are real science forums, FtK, but this isn't one of them. Maybe you can check out this post, at a real science blog, where you can learn to improve your cognition with optimal caffeine ingestion.

2) Dragging my son's posting on another site into this discussion, as if he and I are the same person, and as if this site is where he posted anything, is also misleading and pathetic.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,11:03   

well hell darling, i was afraid that you never noticed.

now that you have done brunged it up (I think this is the way y'all say over there in the dust bowl), do tell?

did he or did he not?

do note that if he did not, he was very likely the only adult male E-V-A-R to pass through adolescence without punching the monk.  Add to that he was (as your mythology demands) celibate, and you have one seriously repressed dude.  i bet you couldn't sleep within ten feet of him at night because of all the man-na falling about.

makes you wonder if you can really call that 'fully human', eh, luv?

Damn.  I forgot to you that he can be fully human and fully god at the same time, while also fully neither.  Your world is great!

ETA:  source of tard.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,11:42   

I considered adding the PS of Louis's post, but decided against it because it's complete BS

NO. THIS IS VERY WRONG.

1. YOU ARE NOT TELEPATHIC (FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME)
2. DO NOT QUOTE MINE - IT CHANGES THE INTENT, WHICH IS LYING, WHICH BREAKS 9TH COMMANDMENT (8TH IF YOU'RE ROMAN CATHOLIC OR LUTHERAN). IF YOU HOLD THESE COMMANDMENTS AS MEANINGFUL, HONOUR THEM.
3. LET THE READER DECIDE IF THERE IS ANY MALFEASANCE. DO NOT DECIDE FOR THEM, OR YOU'RE SPINNING.

I AM SO VERY DISSAPOINTED IN YOU, FTK.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,11:46   

[Ported from some toilet somewhere and combined into one post]

[sarcasm] I'm glad you know what I think better than I do FTK. [/sarcasm]

The disclaimer was, and is, designed to convey the humourous nature of that comment. Hell, a person with moderate reading abilties would have worked out that the way the whole thing was phrased gave the fact that it was intended as humour away. I stuck the disclaimer in for the hard of thinking (i.e. people just like you). If my disclaimer is bullshit, and isn't sincere, then why not include it? You can always point out that the disclaimer is, in your opinion, bullshit, and link to all those other evil things I say and do as supporting evidence.

But instead of doing that what you have done is snip the part of the post that proves beyond reasonable doubt that I was making a serious point using deliberate hyperbole and humour in order to convey what you WANT me to be saying rather than what I AM saying.

Some people might think that's dishonest.

And just so you can whine on about how nasty I am (and all of us evil people at AtBC are) you've helpfully snipped an important part of the message out so your readers don't have to be burdened with the horror of having to consider the simple fact that someone might not be saying what you think they are saying (and report them as saying). FTK, you're a total joke! Do you really think you're fooling anyone?

I was right about this being an attention seeking mission wasn't I? This was fastest response from you I've ever got!

I can't imagine the levels of cognitive dissonance you have to exhibit to make your actions appear honest to yourself. What a lying little charlatan you are FTK. But Jesus loves you, right? So it's all ok. LOL what a hypocrite!

Oh and whilst you're at it FTK, I reckon you should explain to the masses what I think about christianity. I'd be amused to see if you could even get one part of it right. Remember sweetie, mockery is not always intended seriously.

I would comfortably bet a bottle of spirits of the winners choice, to be shipped to their door, on the simple premise that you cannot in any way accurately describe either my view of religion as a whole or specifically christianity. Wanna take me up on the bet?

Wassamatta? Chicken?

Louis

P.S. I'm an atheist on a daily basis, just FYI. ;-)

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,11:52   

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 13 2008,16:40)
Louis - re:  Earlier Post.

Thanks, I have saved your earlier post as Chapter 1.

I will need @ 12 - 15 more chapters for my Publisher.

Can I has USA rights?

But srlsly = Excellent, I have saved it, and I will of course use proper attribution* if I quote anything, although, I may paraphrase, and put in my own words, and then your chance to make history crumbles faster than a IDers explanation.

This is perfect for an on-going discussion I am having with several Creos at another venue.

added in edit:

* You don't mid being referred to as Lord Haw-Haw right?

I shall get right on those chapters , Sir.

You can has USA rights, I is generous (and very very unlikely to get that poorly phrased stuff published without serious editttttorialisation).

Lord Haw-Haw will be fine, although I prefer to be cited under my real name: The Right Honourable Charles Fortesque St John Capel Edward Montgomery Farquarharson Bumbandit III, MP KCVO BSc SSc DISCO BINGOWASHISNAMEOH.

Thankyew.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,11:56   

Quote (Louis @ Feb. 13 2008,11:35)
But Jesus loves you, right? So it's all ok.

Doubt it. FTK is the least christian christian I've ever encountered.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,11:57   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 13 2008,11:56)
Quote (Louis @ Feb. 13 2008,11:35)
But Jesus loves you, right? So it's all ok.

Doubt it. FTK is the least christian christian I've ever encountered.

One one hand perhaps God meant the 10 commandments. Another  theory is he didn't. Teach both.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,12:02   

Quote (Louis @ Feb. 13 2008,11:46)
Remember sweetie, mockery is not always intended seriously.

Do you mean to imply that the British understand not just language, but also humor? This is evolutionarily impossible. Humor is irreducibly complex, and God hates the British, so you all sit around drinking tea and shitty beer all day instead of talking. QED.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,12:08   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Feb. 13 2008,16:56)
[SNIP]

1) This is the peanut gallery, after the bar closes. Attempts to paint AtBC as a "science forum" are misleading and pathetic. There are real science forums, FtK, but this isn't one of them.

[SNIP]*

Albatrossity...or can only your special friends refer to you as PNA ;-)

This is one of the things I find so inexplicably hilarious about FTK that it makes me squirm in my seat emitting delighted little bursts of gleeful laughter. Yes there are people who are scientists here, but this isn't where we do science, or even discuss it that extensively or profoundly. This is, at least for me, where many come for a laugh and a joke. I'm happy to discuss science here, as I am anywhere, but I have to be honest, especially when creationists turn up, the subject seems to get little play. The potential exists, but FTK seems to think that we've forgotten that she refused EVERY SINGLE offer of a scientific discussion we offered her. Also, repeatedly correcting basic science errors for the terminally benighted becomes rapidly annoying.

Sorry if FTK doesn't like that. As she's all about the science I wonder what topic she'd like to discuss. Didn't she have some questions for me about abiogenesis or the evolution of natural products? I'm willing to play if she is, I wonder what her excuse for not doing so will be this time. Is this where she came in? And around and around we go!

Anyway, as a related issue, if FTK gets to refer to you as Professor Nauseating Arrogance, shouldn't we get to refer to her by her title, i.e. Housewife Appearing Remarkably Pompous, Ignorant and Invidious? Conveniently it has the acronym HARPII, which at least one pronounciation of seems remarkably aposite. ;-)

Louis

* See FTK, this is how it's done.

--------------
Bye.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2008,12:08   

FtK, you have a long list to get through.  You can start with the dishonesty about Genie Scott.  She told me she thinks that it is rather charming that the comment you cite is according to rabid antievolutionists and science deniers (that would be you) is the most you can dig up on her.

But, as long as we are pointing out that your critics do recognize you are in the dungeon (took you long enough to figure that out, sweetie), I know you are here and I am anxiously (bated breath) awaiting your pronouncement upon the greatest mystery of our time, did Our Lard and Savior beat his meat, or not.

--------------

10202 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < ... 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]