RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Ingo

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 10 2009,22:37   

Quote (N.Wells @ Oct. 09 2009,08:58)
A lot of the award was probably for being Not-Bush, but even so, Obama has already earned it. ... He led the charge to pull America back from being a bullying and torturing nation with no regard for human rights or the rule of law.

This is not really the topic of this thread, but reality-checking is always an issue on this forum: http://www.zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/22527  You will have to enter this URL twice to get beyond the fundraiser page.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,01:22   

Quote (sparc @ Oct. 10 2009,19:19)
10 October 2009
The 4,000
Barry Arrington

This is UD’s 4,000th post.  Congrats and a hardy well done and thank you to all of our posters!
Osteonectin rightly asks which posts they are counting exactly
Including those that had been 404ed?
BTW, if my counting is correct this is the 5328th response at ATBC (I guess without those that had to be moved to the bathroom wall).

Shouldn't that be "Congrats and a hardly well done"?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,06:23   

before they get deleted:  
delmot
10/11/2009
5:31 am

I think these threads are embarrassing and insulting. Not to atheists, most of whom I’m pretty sure are secure and confident in their knowledge of morality, but to christians, who apparently cannot figure themselves what is right and wrong but need to be told by an authority figure; and who also apparently cannot figure out how to use the internet discover what some non-religious theories of morality might be. Hint: wikipedia is pretty good at that kind of thing.

and:  
delmot
10/11/2009
5:33 am

Genuine question: what would you do if God asked you to sacrifice your firstborn child?

that, I suspect, is one of those questions you are not allowed to ask.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,07:45   

Quote (BillB @ Oct. 11 2009,07:23)
before they get deleted:  
delmot
10/11/2009

I think these threads are embarrassing and insulting. Not to atheists, most of whom I’m pretty sure are secure and confident in their knowledge of morality, but to christians, who apparently cannot figure themselves what is right and wrong but need to be told by an authority figure; and who also apparently cannot figure out how to use the internet discover what some non-religious theories of morality might be. Hint: wikipedia is pretty good at that kind of thing.

and:  
delmot
10/11/2009

Genuine question: what would you do if God asked you to sacrifice your firstborn child?

Easy, delete the question and ban the questioner!

Just wait for Barrogant to come back from church, and see.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,07:56   

Quote (JohnW @ Oct. 11 2009,01:22)
Quote (sparc @ Oct. 10 2009,19:19)
10 October 2009
The 4,000
Barry Arrington

This is UD’s 4,000th post.  Congrats and a hardy well done and thank you to all of our posters!
Osteonectin rightly asks which posts they are counting exactly  
Including those that had been 404ed?
BTW, if my counting is correct this is the 5328th response at ATBC (I guess without those that had to be moved to the bathroom wall).

Shouldn't that be "Congrats and a hardly well done"?

"Ward rats and the Tardly Dell one"? Wha the.. Dave Scot is back?

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,10:15   

Quote (Amadan @ Oct. 10 2009,14:42)
... and their hømies.

Congrats!

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,10:48   

Atom: Sounds almost like a Splay Tree in computer science, where you push frequently accessed nodes on a tree towards one section of the tree, for easy subsequent access. The reasoning is that if you access something once, you’re likely to access it again.

Atom is close to a revelation about evolution.

Atom: Amazing Design. Natural Selection can carve a design like this yet can’t make a shorter recurrent laryngeal nerve in mammals? Something is amiss in that whole scenario.

So close. The cognitive dissonance is there. So close.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,11:11   

Quote (khan @ Oct. 11 2009,10:15)

Quote (Amadan @ Oct. 10 2009,14:42)
... and their hømies.

Congrats!

I must make clear that I understand - indeed, sympathise to an extent with - the opinion of those who consider that the word "hømies" may be insufficient in itself to justify this prestigious award.

In humility, I accept it in anticipation of snark yet to be delivered over the coming four years* week.

* @#&&&!! teleprompter

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,12:40   

Quote (didymos @ Oct. 11 2009,05:35)
Someone's been fiddling with the PA system again:

steve_h has been redacted:        

steve_h

10/10/2009

5:53 pm

Editors: The thrust of this comment: “People who disagree with me are the type of people who fly airplanes into buildings.” The comment and the commenter have been deleted from this site.

(Copied to the bans thread)

I didn't save my remark (but from memory)

I don’t find that those who oppose homosexuality can be put in the same camp as those who fly airplanes into buildings

I think that if you divided humanity into two camps, one which opposes homosexuality and one that does not, the people that fly airplanes into buildings will be in the first one

What I did not say was that anyone who disagrees with me is the type of person that flies planes into buildings.

ETA:  And what's the point of deleting a comment if you then tell everyone what it was  (unless you knew your new "thrusty" version was rather different)?  It's not as if he cleaned up the language or anything.

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,13:14   

WmaD
On another note, my harsh moderation policies have been considerably reined in at UD given the new management, but I have no problem banning you from this thread and I still have enough clout here to get you banned period. So keep it civil or head for the exit. –WmAD

(my unbolding, for emphasis)

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,13:21   

Quote (BillB @ Oct. 11 2009,04:23)
before they get deleted:    
delmot
10/11/2009

and:    
delmot
10/11/2009

vjtorley answers:

delmot (#190)

If I heard a voice from the sky ordering me to sacrifice my firstborn child, I’d assume it was either a demon or an alien, and ignore it.

WTF?  Those are the first two things that spring to mind?  How 'bout "Oh shit...I'm hallucinating."

Tribune7 says "People who disagree with me are the type of people who would kill their children if a voice told them to."  Also, Tribune7 is a tard:

delmont — Genuine question: what would you do if God asked you to sacrifice your firstborn child?
Interesting question. The entire basis of Christianity is that God sacrificed His firstborn for you and accepting that is all that’s need to be right with Him and that any additional sacrifice on your part would be a rejection of His sacrifice.
Obedience, of course, is required but that obedience includes refraining from infanticide.
Now what if some spiritual force asked YOU to sacrifice YOUR first born? Assuming you are an atheist, you would initially ignore it. But suppose its persistence was such that it couldn’t be? What would give you the strength to stand up to it?
Your pride? LOL. Your love? Isn’t that just a chemical reaction created by evolution to perpetuate the species? Surely, such a material thing could be set aside for some expedient end, right?
Frankly, the only thing you could count on ultimately in such a circumstance was faith in the goodness of God.

OK, I'm confused: what's the "expedient end" here?  Typically, voices handing out kill orders tend to not go away without medication, so obeying gets you nothing but a lot of police attention and, well, your kid is dead.  Why would an atheist even entertain the idea of obeying what they'd surely view as a symptom of mental illness?  

Cabal is a not a complete tard:

delmot,

Maybe a relevant question, but I am afraid it reverts to a question of theology; HOW do God make himself known to people, how do we know God is standing before us? A talking lamb? (Re. talking serpent.)
Which leads to the age-old question: Biblical literalism, or not? AFAIK, that haven’t yet been settled beyond reasonable doubt. Who is willing to stand up and say “I know, I represent ultimate authority.”
I have firm opinions on such matters but I am not in a position to tell anyone what is right or wrong. I believe that in the end, we are all left to our own conscience, maturity, understanding, wisdom et cetera. No book can substitute for that. Why not just ask your God?
Condemning other people is easy, but what about “Thou shalt not steal”? Should I let my children starve to death if the only option was to steal food?
Frankly, and I guess that means I will no longer be with you either, I don’t think the Polanski question as it was posed was a suitable subject for this blog. What about some ID related subject instead?

Brent is a complete tard. Who should be closely monitored in the future:

delmot,
“Genuine question: what would you do if God asked you to sacrifice your firstborn child?”

He did, and I have. I sacrificed my first and second child to Him. All Christians are obligated to sacrifice everything to the Lord. Nothing is otherwise safe in our own care.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,14:54   

Cross-posted, because I know you'll all want to express your shock and delight...
Quote (deadman_932 @ Oct. 08 2009,12:23)
"Gods ipod" banninated in that same thread here

Gods iPod subsequently unbanninated.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,16:13   

Fixed that for you, Brent:
I sacrificed my first and second child to Him. All Christians are obligated to sacrifice everything to the Lord. Nothing is otherwise safe in our own care.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,16:22   

In a comment in the Gordonian mode (complete with idiosyncratic bolding, numbered points and sub-points, and notes), Vjtorley wraps up with:  

I really do believe that Einstein is no greater, better, more valuable or more important than a so-called “cretin” or “moron.” I suspect that Darwinists do not share this belief. As far as I can tell, they are intellectual snobs. They appear to regard intellectually impaired people (at least, some of them) as morally inferior and less valuable. Come on, ‘fess up. You do, don’t you, Darwinists?
So criticize me if you like, Mr. Nakashima, but don’t saw off the ethical branch you’re sitting on.

No, Vj, I don't.  Well, unless they're a UD regular, like, for instance, you.  Asshole.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,16:35   

Quote (keiths @ Oct. 11 2009,16:13)
Fixed that for you, Brent:
I sacrificed my first and second child to Him. All Christians are obligated to sacrifice everything to the Lord. Nothing is otherwise safe in our own care.

I assume Brent is a literalist. No metaphors allowed?

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,17:43   

Quote (didymos @ Oct. 11 2009,17:22)
In a comment in the Gordonian mode (complete with idiosyncratic bolding, numbered points and sub-points, and notes), Vjtorley wraps up with:  

I really do believe that Einstein is no greater, better, more valuable or more important than a so-called “cretin” or “moron.” I suspect that Darwinists do not share this belief. As far as I can tell, they are intellectual snobs. They appear to regard intellectually impaired people (at least, some of them) as morally inferior and less valuable. Come on, ‘fess up. You do, don’t you, Darwinists?
So criticize me if you like, Mr. Nakashima, but don’t saw off the ethical branch you’re sitting on.

No, Vj, I don't.  Well, unless they're a UD regular, like, for instance, you.  Asshole.

Nakashima may have found one of those points on which the normally calm VJT goes off the rails.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,17:54   

Is Robert Deyes one of us?  I mean seriously, celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle, a author of vaguely scientific but absolutely fictional works as an antidote to Darwin?  Pretty clever....

Short of that, I feel almost sad-these guys really think they're going to have an aha! moment where they discover their proverbial lost island and upset all of modern biology.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,18:09   

They appear to regard intellectually impaired people (at least, some of them) as morally inferior and less valuable. Come on, ?fess up. You do, don?t you, Darwinists?

Well, I don't know about "Darwinists", whover they are, but when it comes to scientific matters doesn't "intellectually impaired" sort of imply less reliable than average in matters involving intellect?

Henry

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,18:59   

He did, and I have. I sacrificed my first and second child to Him. All Christians are obligated to sacrifice everything to the Lord. Nothing is otherwise safe in our own care.

My sock is dead, so one of the survivors of the Great Bannination please ask Brentfag over there why it's not okay to make your own decisions concerning your children, but it is okay to make a decision to give all your potential future decisions up to god?

You have to make a personal, selfish value judgment somewhere.  Fucktards.  I swear, they all have their heads so far up each others' asses every single one of them is chewing on the same piece of gum.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan
please Logout under Meta in the sidebar.

‘‘I was like ‘Oh my God! It’s Jesus on a banana!’’  - Lisa Swinton, Jesus-eating pagan

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,19:45   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Oct. 11 2009,14:54)
Cross-posted, because I know you'll all want to express your shock and delight...

Quote (deadman_932 @ Oct. 08 2009,12:23)
"Gods ipod" banninated in that same thread here

Gods iPod subsequently unbanninated.

They don't call that "resurrected"  at UD?

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,21:14   

He was banned for our sins.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,21:27   

Quote (RDK @ Oct. 11 2009,19:59)

My sock is dead, so one of the survivors of the Great Bannination please ask Brentfag over there why it's not okay to make your own decisions concerning your children, but it is okay to make a decision to give all your potential future decisions up to god?

You have to make a personal, selfish value judgment somewhere.  Fucktards.  I swear, they all have their heads so far up each others' asses every single one of them is chewing on the same piece of gum.

lost another one?

i mean, since Are Dee Kay?

lololololol  

the funniest thing about that is it took those fools a while to catch on.  i think, until you brought it up yourself.  

UD is a circle jerk for retarded soul diddlers.  thank their gods for them, i laugh my ass off just reading this thread and that's before i go slumming over there.  christ i wish one of them was my neighbor or something, i know a bunch of stupid people but i want a dumb sonofabitch like that in my posse.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,22:23   

Hey, check it:  DaveTard is over at the Thumb.  He's in classic form:

1. Making errors, being corrected, failing to notice while thinking he's scored a direct hit.
2. Being a hypocrite.
3. Making grandiose allusions to his tenure at Dell.
4. Taking shots at Dense.
5. Odd combinations of insults and sneering with quasi-genial digressions into his personal history.
6.  Annoying people.

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,22:49   

Heh. I know it's petty, but I couldn't help poking at him.

--------------

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,22:56   

[quote=Erasmus, FCD,Oct. 11 2009,21:27][/quote]
lost another one?

lololololol  

the funniest thing about that is it took those fools a while to catch on.  i think, until you brought it up yourself.

Yes, sadly enough my most recent sock was killed in the fetus stage.  I had nought but made a paltry 2 or 3 posts (all of which were moderated) with it, cleverly pretending to be an ID proponent (ingenious, I know), but apparently Clivebaby saw through my ruse.  I'm guessing the username "Squilliam Dembski" might have tipped him off, but who knows exactly how the mind of our Clive works.

R.I.P. Squilliam, Dembski's retarded 2nd cousin.

Shame on you.  That's like knowingly giving a dog laxatives, sitting back, and laughing as you watch it shit all over itself.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan
please Logout under Meta in the sidebar.

‘‘I was like ‘Oh my God! It’s Jesus on a banana!’’  - Lisa Swinton, Jesus-eating pagan

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,23:06   

Quote (RDK @ Oct. 11 2009,22:56)
[quote=Erasmus, FCD,Oct. 11 2009,21:27][/quote]

lost another one?

lololololol  

Yes, sadly enough my most recent sock was killed in the fetus stage.  I had nought but made a paltry 2 or 3 posts (all of which were moderated) with it, cleverly pretending to be an ID proponent (ingenious, I know), but apparently Clivebaby saw through my ruse.  I'm guessing the username "Squilliam Dembski" might have tipped him off, but who knows exactly how the mind of our Clive works.

R.I.P. Squilliam, Dembski's retarded 2nd cousin.

Shame on you.  That's like knowingly giving a dog laxatives, sitting back, and laughing as you watch it shit all over itself.

Poor "Harry Barrington" never made it either.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2009,23:39   

Quote (RDK @ Oct. 11 2009,22:56)

Yep, I feel just terrible.

ETA: Of course, I'd never do such a thing to a dog. I like dogs.

--------------

bfish

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 12 2009,01:41   

Quote (RDK @ Oct. 11 2009,16:59)
My sock is dead, so one of the survivors of the Great Bannination please ask Brentfag over there

Is that name really necessary?

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 12 2009,07:01   

Quote (didymos @ Oct. 11 2009,23:23)
Hey, check it:  DaveTard is over at the Thumb....Making grandiose allusions to his tenure at Dell

But did he go to high school with John Kwok?  No.  Pffft.

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 12 2009,11:34   

ID experiment number 28735-632c

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-337116

Oh, wait:

An Intelligent Design Thought Experiment

emphais mine.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]