RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (202) < ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave's UPDATED Creator God Hypothesis, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,12:06   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,12:14)

Just out of curiousity, what would you consider a successful refutation?
Something that makes me go 'Hmmm ... really?  I never noticed that glaring error before.  OK, you're right'

Not good enough, Bubba.  What are the characteristics of something that makes you say "Hmm"? Because all this discussion around the Fenton Hill zircons has had at least a half-dozen "Hmm" moments for me. So, I'm kinda wondering what hurdles have to be jumped to get your attention. So, you are going to have to answer the question with more precision.

You may not be on a crusade personally.  But the NCSE is and I think they run this forum, do they not?]

Well, I suppose I should note that the NCSE particular area of interest is public science education and not the entirety of the curricullum.  I can't say I've seen them take a position on the teaching of history, or comparative religion.

They apparently think that 'Separation of Church and State' is in the constitution and they think that 'no establishment of religion' means no mention of a Creator or God in public settings.

The Establishment Clause prohibits the endorsement of a particular religion/diety in public settings by a government entity.  And the mention of a particular diety to the exclusion of other dieties is a de facto endorsement. That is why a manger scene alone on the public square is a no-no, but a manger seen accompanied by a creche and other such seasonal symbols is (umm) kosher. And that is where your creationist brethren get into trouble.  Completely aside from a lack of good supporting science, creationism is a concept mostly associated with a limited set of conservative, Christian sects.  The fact that people who adhere to different belief systems, including many Christians, might not buy into your viewpoint and stand for good science to be taught in science class just doesn't occur to you, does it?

And, anticipating your next knee jerk, I define good science as science that is characterized by sound, controlled methodology, has been independently verified hundreds (if not thousands or more) times and has withstood broad scrutiny by the scientific community.  And a couple of zircons of a indeterminate geological history does not good science make.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,12:14   

That's the interesting thing: ICR has to rely on claims of miraculous ( but unexplained ) "accelerated decay" that "explains" EVERYTHING that we know in geology as false. Dave BUYS this hook line and sinker, like the catfish on a mouthfull of chicken guts that I compared him to.

It's amazing that his standards for evidence are so low for his "view" and yet he wants absolute perfection from all the non-yec christian geologists that disagree with him and hold quite comfortably to a 4.5 BYA Earth . And he still has to invoke "miracles" to keep his view. Amazing

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,12:43   

Oh, come on.  And you guys call ME the conspiracy theorist?  So you guys think Humphreys is just out there padding his pockets with Creo propaganda?

You've been watching too much Benny Hinn.

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,12:57   

Oh, come on.  And you guys call ME the conspiracy theorist?  So you guys think Humphreys is just out there padding his pockets with Creo propaganda?

Nope, just like with others of his ilk, I think that the extra cash is just a bonus. Sure, he might be sincere about his YEC views.

But his willingness to lie to you, AFDave, suggests otherwise. He knows he is running a con. You bought his books, didn't you, Dave?

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,12:58   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,17:43)

You've been watching too much Benny Hinn.

There's no conspiracy, Dave. There's an unwillingness to see what is there, in preference for seeing what one wants to see.

Just as you fervently wish for an earth 6,000 years old so you can hold to your belief that the Bible is inerrant, Humpreys wishes for an earth 6,000 years old so he can hold to his belief that the Bible is inerrant. That doesn't mean you and he are co-conspirators. It means that you both want the same thing.

Both you and Humphreys are ignoring and/or dismissing valid criticisms of his work, which indicate that he has simply not controlled for less fantastic explanations for his anomalous results. The fact that you are both driven to ignore those explanations by the same aims does not mean you're members of a conspiracy.

It does mean that you're both wrong, though.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,13:10   

You said here that you were told...explicitly...that his books would cover He isotope ratios. Odd that it didn't happen. At some level, Humphreys firmly believes what he promotes. At another level, he feels he has to B_S to support that which he believes in so deeply.

This is "cognitive dissonance."

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,13:23   

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,13:42   

Steve-

well, you can't just quantitatively evaluate "crazy", there's a big qualitative aspect of it too.

IOW, there's lots of different kinds of crazy.

a sociopath and a schizophrenic don't have much in common, regardless of the degree of affliction.

Not being a psychologist, I haven't a good idea how to classify AFD's current affliction, but I'd bet serious money that cognitive dissonance plays a causative role.

True, true, I'm not really giving like a DSM-IV-authoritative diagnosis here, but I think my scale example conveys some info.

as to whether Dave is actually dangerous or not, that would be entirely relative, and we don't have enough information to judge one way or the other.
One reason I think he's probably harmless is, most fundies are, and he hasn't really said much about abortion, which is where christian fundies tend to get really dangerous. I'm sure he doesn't like abortion, but he doesn't seem to be out of control on the subject.

However, based on what he's posted and how his mind apparently processes logic, I'd say he could at the very least be considered a significant negative influence in an instructional setting.

You wouldn't hire him as a teacher, now, would ya?

Oh, I wouldn't hire him for anything. Not only would I not be able to trust his decision-making, he might drive away good people with his arrogant insanity.

Marcus Evenstar

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,18:10   

I don't have anything to add to this thread as I am only married to a scientist and have no advanced degrees of my own (but I do read a lot of her books). However, I would like to thank the smart folks who have been replying to AFDave.

Your studied replies to his blithering have introduced me to subjects that I'd never considered, sending me off to obscure web-sites to read about language development, invertebrates, number theory, the history of science, etc. I've been learning some keen ways to present a complex thoughts along with new methods of sarcasm. My only regret is an increasingly long list of thick books that I must read....

BTW, on another list, I've found a totally humorless AF vet who regularly posts paranoid conspiracy and the occasional legal threat foused against a long-defunct gaming club. Just what does the AF do to people?

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,18:40   

Hi AFDave,

I know you’re a busy man, what with you being retired and spending all that time reading up on literal Bible scientific evidence, but you seem to be having problems with your memory.  You keep forgetting to provide evidence to back up the claims you make.  For example, you said this

but there is much evidence that there was as much as 100X more C-12 in the pre-Deluge atmosphere.

It’s been four days now and you’ve been politely asked multiple times, but we still haven’t seen your evidence for this claim.  We don’t need a detailed explanation, just a reference to the scientific paper or peer-reviewed journal you got this from will be sufficient.  I know you're here every day writing many one-liners; just tack the data on to one of those many posts.

Also, when asked what you would consider a successful refutation of one of your claims, you replied

Something that makes me go 'Hmmm ... really?  I never noticed that glaring error before.  OK, you're right'

Well, you claimed that radiocarbon dating was faulty based on incorrect assumptions about decay rates and C12 concentrations. You were then show how dates from C14/C12 decay rates are precisely calibrated by at least six different, completely independent methods (denrochronology, ice core samples from glaciers, ocean sediment core samples, varve core samples from freshwater lakes, speleothems, coral samples) and are accurate to within a few percent for dates back to 60,000 YBP.  You were provided the actual data, including the calibration curves themselves that all overlap almost exactly.

Now I’m sure you can C&P some ICR or AIG argument as to why each individual calibration curve method is wrong, but you were asked your explanation as to why the independent curves all agree with one another.  If you see six independent sets of data that you say are all screwed up, then how do you explain that all six are screwed up but screwed up in precisely the same way as to give precisely matching results over the whole date range?

If you can’t explain it, shouldn’t that make you reconsider your original claim?  Why shouldn’t you be going “Hmmm ... really?  I never noticed that glaring error before.  OK, you're right” ?

Here’s a great chance to show all the Christian lurkers that you don’t back down from a challenge, or be big enough to admit that you are wrong.  

Thanks in advance for not forgetting again to answer these questions.

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,20:42   

Quote (Marcus Evenstar @ June 14 2006,23:10)
BTW, on another list, I've found a totally humorless AF vet who regularly posts paranoid conspiracy and the occasional legal threat foused against a long-defunct gaming club. Just what does the AF do to people?

Hey Marcus it's not the AF (or any other branch) that is at fault. You can find crabby curmudgeons from all branchs of the service and from the civilian world too.

I honestly think the US Military is one of the best examples of a meritocracy that can be found (till you get near the top, the higher you go it seems the more the Peter Principle kick in).

The reason I keep picking on Dave is because his service record shows he wasn't able to play the game as well as he'd have us believe.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,20:56   

but there is much evidence that there was as much as 100X more C-12 in the pre-Deluge atmosphere.

I've been trying to figure out what Dave means by this cryptic sentence. I asked him earlier if he meant that the "pre-flood" atmosphere was ~6% C02, but he never answered. Maybe he means that the ratio of Carbon-12 to Carbon-14 was a hundred times higher back then, but that doesn't make much sense either, because the current ratio is about one hundred trillion to one. Does he mean the ratio was ten quadrillion to one back then? Does it mean he thinks all carbon-derived dates are off by a factor of 100? So wooden artifacts found in the pyramids are actually from the 20th century?

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,21:39   

So wooden artifacts found in the pyramids are actually from the 20th century?

That certainly makes me go, "Hmmm.  I never saw that glaring hole..."

It also upsets me a little since I'm going to have to return all those antiques I bought. :angry:

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,22:27   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,17:43)
...you guys think Humphreys is just out there padding his pockets with Creo propaganda?

Based on the AiG page where they were asking for money for their research, yes. It seemed a bit high for the low quality you seem to be presenting.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,06:27   

Incorygible...  
By the way, Dave, when you mentioned "abstract thinking ability" as an "immeasurable", "non-biological" argument against common ancestry of chimps, humans and gorillas, that paper I cited for ya (with the abstract) on May 24 must've slipped your mind, eh?
OK.  So you agree it's measurable?  Then let's measure it.  I propose a test to quantify all the non-biological differences among humans, chimps and gorillas.  What do you think this test will show?

It will show that humans are far different than the apes, and it will show the apes are quite similar.

Incorygible...  
Oh really now?  So now you CAN explain "ape type" vs. "human type" via molecular biology?  Didn't you just fall back to "non-biological" comparisons?  Vindicated, indeed.
That's tough because they are so close.  What I was referring to was Michael Denton's information about the discoveries in molecular biology vindicating the pre-Darwin typological perception of nature.  Have you never read "Evolution:  A Theory in Crisis" ??  Molecular biology proved conclusively that nothing is "ancestral" to anything else as evolutionists would have liked for it to.

Deadman...  
Dave, I gave you the citations. It is not up to me to spoon-feed you. Quartz, Pyrite and Titanite studies all show that the hardness of a material does not in fact offset pressure in relation to He diffusion. Helium passes through pyrite easily UNDER pressure/temps comparable to the ranges given in the Fenton Hill samples.
You keep making irrelevant statements about the hardness issue.  Look what you just said ...

"Helium passes through pyrite easily UNDER pressure/temps comparable to the ranges given in the Fenton Hill samples."

Of course it does.  No one said that it didn't.  I'm going to say this one more time, then move on because Eric is tired of this topic. :-)

HUMPHREYS COMPARES THE HARDNESS OF VARIOUS MINERALS ONLY TO SHOW THAT PRESSURE HAS LITTLE EFFECT ON DIFFUSIVITIES OF OTHER HARD MATERIALS.

He makes no statements about the COMPARATIVE diffusivities of different materials, which is what you keep bringing up.  This is completely irrelevant.

Deadman...  
Remember your claim that my ancestors "devolved" and lost written languages? The last time you attempted to mess with that, you showed you didn't even know the bible.
Do what?  How did I show I didn't know the Bible?  As for your ancestors, I do believe they 'devolved' because there is overwhelming evidence that ALL mankind and ALL civilization originated within the last 6000 years in Mesopotamia (not Africa).  The original civilization had all the marks of civilization--agriculture, metallurgy, music, writing, science, etc. VERY early--archaeology says at least by 5500ya, probably 6000ya.  Since all mankind is descended from this original civilization, your ancestors are as well.  How did they get to N. America?  A guess, but probably via the Bering Strait which would have been a land bridge sometime close to the Ice Age, whcih occurred soon after the Flood.

Rilke...  
This is utter nonsense; the separation of church and state simply means that the government cannot make mention of any specific religious belief in such a fashion as to endorse it.  Tell me, Dave - do you really want schools to teach your children religion?  Do you really want the federal government to be in the business of chosing which faith is correct?

We're a representative democracy; it could happen that we vote in a government of Muslims.  Are you quite sure that you want the government in the religion business?

This is about non-discrimination and religious freedom, Dave.  It's about removing (in cases such as the 'ten-commandments' instance) pre-existing bias on the part of the Goverment in favor of one, particular religion.

Or would you rather we simply burn everyone you consider a heretic at the stake?  This country was founded on the idea of religious freedom - why do you wish to remove that freedom?

Quite false interpretation, thus they are 'religious crusaders' with an agenda to promote.  Are you with them?
Wow, Rilke.  Didn't know you could do anything but 'troll.'  I'm impressed.  You apparently don't understand the issue of separation of church and state.  You need to read 'The Myth of Separation' by David Barton.  Here is an article from him, but you should read his book.  David Barton's works are some of the best documented you will ever find.  He is one of the few academics that I know of that almost exclusively uses the higher legal standard for documenting his quotes.  Most academics use a lesser standard than this.  Here is what he says ...

Thomas Jefferson had no intention of allowing the government to limit, restrict, regulate, or interfere with public religious practices. He believed, along with the other Founders, that the First Amendment had been enacted only to prevent the federal establishment of a national denomination-a fact he made clear in a letter to fellow-signer of the Declaration of Independence Benjamin Rush:

[T]he clause of the Constitution which, while it secured the freedom of the press, covered also the freedom of religion, had given to the clergy a very favorite hope of obtaining an establishment of a particular form of Christianity through the United States; and as every sect believes its own form the true one, every one perhaps hoped for his own, but especially the Episcopalians and Congregationalists. The returning good sense of our country threatens abortion to their hopes and they believe that any portion of power confided to me will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly. 8

Jefferson had committed himself as President to pursuing the purpose of the First Amendment: preventing the “establishment of a particular form of Christianity” by the Episcopalians, Congregationalists, or any other denomination.

Jefferson believed that God, not government, was the Author and Source of our rights and that the government, therefore, was to be prevented from interference with those rights. Very simply, the “fence” of the Webster letter and the “wall” of the Danbury letter were not to limit religious activities in public; rather they were to limit the power of the government to prohibit or interfere with those expressions. http://www.wallbuilders.com/resources/search/detail.php?ResourceID=9

In contrast to the intent of Jefferson and the intent of early courts, the NCSE is seeking to eliminate all reference to God in public school science classes.  The ACLU is similarly trying to eliminate all reference to God in public school PERIOD.

This is un-American and naive.  The USA was founded as a Christian nation in the sense that the laws and practices were founded upon the general principles of Christianity without favoring a particular sect of Christianity.

Improv...  
I'm saying you shouldn't get your geological information from CreationWiki.
Turns out in the case of geology, it was better info than EvoWiki.  EvoWiki had to modify their uniformitarian theory to match observation, which translated into 'neo-catastrophism' and 'episodicity', which is better, but it still isn't right.  One of these days, geologists will understand what Creationists have understood all along--there was a Global Flood.

Deadman...  
Now, even if you say " well, it wasn't done on *ZIRCONS*...uh. really, Dave?

How do you explain this: Hurley, PM, 1952. Alpha ionization damage as a cause of low helium ratios. Trans. Am. Geophys. Union, 33: 174-183. ?

Now, even if Humphreys now claims he was "unaware" of this...he WAS aware of it years ago. Henke told him to do the ratio studies years ago. He never did...and never will...why?

You got CONNED again, AFDave...this time by Russ Humphreys himself!!!!!!!!!!!
Humphreys didn't say that.  He said "it wasn't the usual practice among helium/zircon researchers then."  Meaning people like Farley.  Was Farley routinely doing this at the time?   I bet not.

You have just pre-disposed youself to believe that Humphreys is a liar ... (he has to be ... how can anyone be so stupid as to be a Creo!!;) ... so you cannot conceive of the possibility that maybe the guy really didn't think of ratio testing because Farley was not doing it at the time.

By the way, don't think they conned me by telling me this test was in the book when in fact it was not.  I already covered this.  I told you that it was MY assumption that the guy that told me it was in the book was a tech assistant.  Turns out he is not.  He's an admin guy.  When he said 'YES', he was just saying 'Yes, all testing results are in the book.'  He didn't have a clue about ratio tests or any other tests.  He's an admin guy.

And your propensity to see a con-man behind every tree is quite obvious.  I think it clouds your thinking and goes a long way to explaining why you have been conned into believing the whole giant Fairy Tale of Evolution.

The only one being conned here is yourself ... by you!

Ichthyic...  
In case you had forgotten, early on Dave was shown how AIG lied to him about aspects of the GULO controversy, he at the time admitted that they were wrong.... and within two days had completely reversed himself.
AIG never lied and I never reversed myself.  Carl Wieland made a mistake.  What in the world are you talking about?

Improvius...  
So what, in your mind, Dave, would possibly make you think that the nuclear decay rate would be less reliable than the diffusion rate?  Because it seems to me that if you're rejecting the presumption of uniformity, diffusion rates would be meaningless.  For bonus points, try to answer this without quoting something.
Good question.  Simple answer.  No quoting required. Creationists DO subscribe to uniformitarian processes for most periods BETWEEN Creation and the Flood, and BETWEEN the Flood and the present time.  See how easy that is?  And I will say this.  I think Humphreys could be off either way by several thousand years due to some of the issues raised by Henke and you all.  And we understand that additional experiments are necessary.  

But the real beauty of the experiment is that is soundly refutes the supposed 1.5 GY scenario.

Eric...  
Dave, since neither Humphreys, you, nor anyone else knows what the diffusion rate is, (because no one has sufficient data on half a dozen parameters that can affect the diffusion rate) what is Humphreys dividing the number of He atoms lost by? He's just pulling a number out of his butt, is what he's doing. Humphreys has no justification for even assuming that the diffusion rate has been constant over time, for crying out loud.
Of course he did not know the diffusion rate BEFORE the experiment, but now he does because it has been tested.  The beauty of the experiment is that he was able to PREDICT the diffusion rate correctly.  Isn't this what you guys are always yapping at me about?  "Nyah, nyah, nyah, Creos never make any predictions.  They always just refer to analogies and wave their hands and say Goddidit."

Deadman...  
Jeannot: Yes, you're right on the subjects of zircons and Portuguese being essentially over and done. Dave is toast on these topics ( American slang meaning he's finished, defeated, done for).
Only in your dreams, my friend.

can't you just quote chapter and verse from the book?
I did on several occasions.

Michael...  
Below is a list of the title's from this month's issue of Geology, one of the most prestigious venues for publishing cutting edge work in the geosciences.  The list represents a wide range of disciplines and every single paper draws upon and reinforces our knowledge of the earth's long history. This is just one example of the content of the hundreds of journal volumes that are published every year that relate to the age of the earth.

If the intellectual output of the overwhelming majority of the world's geoscientists is not sufficient to at least give you pause, is there any line of reason that would convince you that your desire to gain the imprimatur of science for your religious beliefs is the rear-guard action of a superstitious world-view rather than a battle at the vanguard of science?
Conventional geologists have performed many good studies.  No one is discounting the value of that.  Creationists quote them often and are indebted to them for their work.  What I am saying is that their interpretations of the data in regard to origins appear to be very flawed.  I see much more sensible work coming out of the minority creationist camp in this regard.  In this sense, they are 'on the cutting edge.'

Deadman...  
That's the interesting thing: ICR has to rely on claims of miraculous ( but unexplained ) "accelerated decay" that "explains" EVERYTHING that we know in geology as false.
 There you go again.  Exaggerating.  Creationists don't say everything in geology is false.  We are just more open minded and we open our eyes to additional evidence which you want to shut out.

OA...  
You keep forgetting to provide evidence to back up the claims you make.  For example, you said this
I guess it has somehow escaped you that I am still on the Helium zircon thing?  I will move on when I get done with that.

Well, you claimed that radiocarbon dating was faulty based on incorrect assumptions about decay rates and C12 concentrations.
Patience, OA, patience.

I made good on my promise to move on to "Age of the Earth" did I not?  We've already covered two points there already and I have given you excellent reasons to reconsider your position of 'millions and billions of years'. Why would you think I would not make good on my other promises?

Crabby...  
The reason I keep picking on Dave is because his service record shows he wasn't able to play the game as well as he'd have us believe.
Or maybe because you are jealous that you didn't get to fly fast jets like I did?  :-) So you try to make up bogus stuff about my supposed career failures because you just can't imagine how a 'Stupid Creo' could ever have gotten such a cool job as a T-38 IP?  Or have friends who are fighter pilots?  Huh, Crabby?  Is that it?  How about that silly idea you had about being an O-3 after 10 years?  Did you go back and do your homework about how promotions work?  You haven't even looked at my service record have you.  You just want to pretend to others that you have.  If you are that dishonest, then you are a disgrace to whatever branch it was you served in.

--------------

Shirley Knott

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,06:42   

But davey, even if crabby is being dishonest (and I don't believe he is -- which, were we to use the same sort of pseudo-logic you indulge in, should be sufficient to absolve him...) --
this pales to insignificance given how your dishonesty dishonors both your service background and your religious faith.
You, sir, are a contemptible specimen.  Each of your posts re-confirms it.
Liar
Loser
Lunatic

I'd say RGD has it precisely correct.

hugs,
Shirley Knott

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,06:46   

I think Dave's jealous that we're paying attention to someone else.  Yawn.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,06:54   

He makes no statements about the COMPARATIVE diffusivities of different materials, which is what you keep bringing up.  This is completely irrelevant.

FROM HUMPHREYS

As far as I know, nobody has measured the effect of pressure on helium diffusion in zircon.  However I have at hand a paper[6] that gives, among other data, the pressure effect on argon diffusion in glasses, such as rhyolite obsidian.  At the highest temperature to which our helium-in-zircon experiment went, 500 degrees C, the pressure effect on the glasses was almost imperceptible, a few percent per kilobar.  A few hundred degrees higher than our experiment, 600 to 700°C, the pressure effect was up to only a few dozen percent per kilobar.

Several factors combine to say that the pressure effect on helium diffusion in our zircon experiments was much less than the above few percent per kilobar:

The cooler the mineral, the less the effect, and the critical part of our data was much cooler than the above, only 100 to 300 °C.
Glasses should be more compressible than crystals of the same composition; glasses are generally not as hard because of weaker chemical bonds between parts.  So our crystals of very hard zircon should suffer less from pressure than glasses that are softer than quartz.
In a given mineral, helium diffusion is less affected by pressure than argon, because a helium atom is smaller than an argon atom.  The smaller the atom, the less the effect on its diffusion for a given amount of pressure-induced reduction of the space between atoms.
All these factors strongly suggest that the diffusion rates in our zircons were influenced far less than one percent by removing them from underground pressures to a vacuum chamber.

Humphreys compares the rates of diffusion in zircon...to that in "rhyolite obsidian" Liar.

In Pyrite and quartz, in the papers I gave you...Helium diffuses faster in materials almost as hard....and harder than steel. He also compared Steel to zircon in terms of pressure affect on diffusion. (remember those steel ball bearings? That's not about diffusion?)

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:00   

Quote (Rilke's Granddaughter @ June 15 2006,11:46)
I think Dave's jealous that we're paying attention to someone else.  Yawn.

I am starting to think that AFDave might be joking. Maybe just spinning people along.

The "non-biological differences" are sounding alarm bells.

AFDave. What are the non-biological differences between biological species? How many non-biological species do you know of? Shouldn't heavy fish like big whales sink?

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:04   

However I have at hand a paper[6] that gives, among other data, the pressure effect on argon diffusion in glasses, such as rhyolite obsidian.

"Pressure effect."  

See that?  "Pressure effect"

He is NOT "comparing the rates of diffusion in zircon...to that in rhyolite obsidian" as you say.  He's comparing the PRESSURE EFFECT.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

Shirley...
You, sir, are a contemptible specimen.
And yet, you keep hugging me.  :-)

Wells...
AFDave. What are the non-biological differences between biological species? How many non-biological species do you know of? Shouldn't heavy fish like big whales sink?
Shouldn't heavy fish like big whales sink?  What in the world are you talking about?

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:07   

I am starting to think that AFDave might be joking. Maybe just spinning people along.

The "non-biological differences" are sounding alarm bells.

Nope. He really thinks, "Chimps and Apes got all that monkiness, but Humans are like, dudes" is a devastating argument.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:07   

Deadman...
In Pyrite and quartz, in the papers I gave you...Helium diffuses faster in materials almost as hard....and harder than steel. He also compared Steel to zircon in terms of pressure affect on diffusion. (remember those steel ball bearings? That's not about diffusion?)
No, it's not.  For the 29th time (it seems), it's about the PRESSURE EFFECT ON DIFFUSION, not about comparative diffusion.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:19   

This is un-American and naive.  The USA was founded as a Christian nation in the sense that the laws and practices were founded upon the general principles of Christianity without favoring a particular sect of Christianity.

Could you explain something, please? If 'the USA was founded as a Christian nation', then why do the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights fail to mention Christianity in any way?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:19   

Quote (afdave @ June 15 2006,11:27)
Incorygible...    
By the way, Dave, when you mentioned "abstract thinking ability" as an "immeasurable", "non-biological" argument against common ancestry of chimps, humans and gorillas, that paper I cited for ya (with the abstract) on May 24 must've slipped your mind, eh?
OK.  So you agree it's measurable?  Then let's measure it.  I propose a test to quantify all the non-biological differences among humans, chimps and gorillas.  What do you think this test will show?

It will show that humans are far different than the apes, and it will show the apes are quite similar.

Dave, you never answered my question about Boeings vs. Airbuses. Do you see why "non-biological differences" are irrelevant yet? Do you understand that "non-biological differences" are useless in determining the relatedness of biological organisms?

--------------

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:25   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 15 2006,12:19)

Could you explain something, please? If 'the USA was founded as a Christian nation', then why do the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights fail to mention Christianity in any way?

It's simple.  The US was not founded as a "Christian" country; and Dave's contentions that the NCSE and the ACLU are attempting to remove mention of the Christian God from public discourse are essentially complete nonsense.

The point of the 'no law respecting relgion'; the basis of the separation clause, is that the government of the United States and it's various agencies (such as public schools) may not favor any particular religion.  So  public-school mandated prayer specifically favors religions which engage in them.  Displays of the Ten Commandments on public property explicitly favor Judaism and Christianity.

What Dave wants is for the existing bias on the part of the government of the country and the several states to be preserved.

The laws of the land don't support him.  Heck, even the vary source he cited doesn't support him.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:28   

The laws of the land don't support him.  Heck, even the vary source he cited doesn't support him.
This is becoming kind of a pattern with dave.

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:30   

Improvius...  
So what, in your mind, Dave, would possibly make you think that the nuclear decay rate would be less reliable than the diffusion rate?  Because it seems to me that if you're rejecting the presumption of uniformity, diffusion rates would be meaningless.  For bonus points, try to answer this without quoting something.
Good question.  Simple answer.  No quoting required. Creationists DO subscribe to uniformitarian processes for most periods BETWEEN Creation and the Flood, and BETWEEN the Flood and the present time.  See how easy that is?  And I will say this.  I think Humphreys could be off either way by several thousand years due to some of the issues raised by Henke and you all.  And we understand that additional experiments are necessary.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was expecting.  So in order to test your hypothesis, you simply throw out any and all data that conflicts with it, then keep whatever anomolous and/or erroneous scraps remain.  I very much like the analogy of throwing out the signal and listening to the noise.
I'm sure you will disagree, but for the rest of us, it is perfectly clear that this is your methodology.

(EDIT: oops, used wrong quote the first time)

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:30   

Oh really?  Why don't you start a new thread and show me how it does not?

--------------

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:36   

I propose a test to quantify all the non-biological differences among humans, chimps and gorillas.  What do you think this test will show?

It will show that you don't know what the #### you are talking about.

There is no such thing as "non-biological" in these differences between human and ape. Everything that you can or cannot think is defined by the structure of your brain which is determined by genetic and epigenetic inheritance.

Your mistake is assuming there are such things  as non-biological difference and non-biological to you comes down to supernatural.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,07:41   

Eric...          
Dave, since neither Humphreys, you, nor anyone else knows what the diffusion rate is, (because no one has sufficient data on half a dozen parameters that can affect the diffusion rate) what is Humphreys dividing the number of He atoms lost by? He's just pulling a number out of his butt, is what he's doing. Humphreys has no justification for even assuming that the diffusion rate has been constant over time, for crying out loud.
Of course he did not know the diffusion rate BEFORE the experiment, but now he does because it has been tested.  The beauty of the experiment is that he was able to PREDICT the diffusion rate correctly.  Isn't this what you guys are always yapping at me about?  "Nyah, nyah, nyah, Creos never make any predictions.  They always just refer to analogies and wave their hands and say Goddidit."

Dave, he didn't predict the diffusion rate over time, which is critically important to determining the age of the zircons. He didn't predict it, and he still doesn't know it. No one knows it, which is why everyone knows Humphreys' conclusions are suspect. Without knowing the diffusion rate into and out of the zircons throughout the entire time since their formation, he can draw no conclusions about how old they are. That's the entire point you don't seem to be getting.

All Humphreys can do is measure the diffusion rate now. That gets him exactly nowhere.  And the thing that's so bizarre about your argument is you assume the He diffusion rate has been constant over time, while at the same time assuming radioactive decay rates have varied wildly over time! One is a chemical process that varies under well-understood principles (we just don't know which effects were operative at which times, and for what durations), and the other is a nuclear process that is extremely well-understood and is known for theoretical reasons not to vary.

Deadman...          
Jeannot: Yes, you're right on the subjects of zircons and Portuguese being essentially over and done. Dave is toast on these topics ( American slang meaning he's finished, defeated, done for).
Only in your dreams, my friend.

Then, what, are we all having the same dream, Dave? Everyone here other than you knows your argument re Humphreys zircons was DOA, because you can't refute an entire methology based on two anomalous results, even if they're correct. Why is this simple concept so beyond you?

OA...          
You keep forgetting to provide evidence to back up the claims you make.  For example, you said this
I guess it has somehow escaped you that I am still on the Helium zircon thing?  I will move on when I get done with that.

God knows why. Well, actually, I know why, too. It's due to your congenital inability to admit you're wrong. You've been proven wrong eight ways from Sunday, which is why, three weeks later, you're still discussing two microscopic zircon samples from an area of the world where it's well known that you can't use He result to determine age.

Well, you claimed that radiocarbon dating was faulty based on incorrect assumptions about decay rates and C12 concentrations.
Patience, OA, patience.

I made good on my promise to move on to "Age of the Earth" did I not?  We've already covered two points there already and I have given you excellent reasons to reconsider your position of 'millions and billions of years'. Why would you think I would not make good on my other promises?

You've given us what, Dave? You haven't given anyone here a reason to think the earth is anything less than billions of years old. The only thing you've given us a reason to believe is that you're impervious to reason.

BTW, without actually moving on, can you give us a clue as to what you mean by "the pre-deluge atmosphere contained a hundred times more C12 than currently? Are you saying the atmosphere was 6% CO2, or are you saying that only 1 part in 10E-16 of the carbon in the atmosphere was C14? Or did you mean something entirely different? This is the third time I've asked this question, without getting an answer.

--------------

6047 replies since May 01 2006,03:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (202) < ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]