RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 817 818 819 820 821 [822] 823 824 825 826 827 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,06:23   

johnnyb: Oh great. That’s just what we need - Darwinism to be the official rule book for analyzing the genome.

Hahahahahah.

Oh man. He's ... what, at least fifty years late? Evolution has been the "official rule book", that is, the underlying hypothesis, of molecular biology from the start. Hell, evolution was the "official rule book" for analyzing the genome while we were trying to figure out what DNA even was. Evolution, unsurprisingly, has helped us a whole hell of a lot in genetics!

But no- just now, right now, evolution is unjustly invading molecular biology! Worse- it's stifling research by suggesting to some researchers that we should narrow our focus! Oh, the humanity! This virgin biological science is being invaded by Darwinism!

In the same thread:

DLH: Design Principles: An Intelligent Designer will likely combine robust design with efficient design.

What? Seriously? That's their principle? "Robust" and "efficient" design, as measured by nothing in particular?

There's also real predictions attached to it, even if they're not grounded in any sane way! These five thousand orphan genes I've never heard of must be good for something! As one contributor puts it:

Mapou: Interesting. ID science is turning out to be as exciting as any other. A treasure hunt it is! There’s designer gold in them thar hills.

I have a beautiful visualization of a man panning for gold while rambling that since the hills were "designed", there should "obviously" be gold in these particular ones, because he's detected specified complexity in them. Mapou, if you're one of us church-burners, I salute you.

Too bad they'll never actually test it. All those Biologic Institute scientists, just sitting around doing nothing.

It gets even better:

johnnyb: ... I think we’ll find that the cause for an ORFan is not necessarily special consideration, but rather that the genome itself is smart enough to produce and deploy proteins as it needs them. In addition, we’ll find a modular area in the genome for deploying these newly-manufactured genes, so they can hook up with the appropriate development pathway.

What I think we’ll find, eventually, is that many of these ORFans were cooked up rapidly, and by our own genomes. This completely invalidates Darwinism (natural selection is nowhere to be found in this creative process), but it must be used carefully by ID’ers to point out that both a smart genome (built by a smart designer previously) and a smart designer are capable of producing unique sequences in different lineages.

He thinks smart genes invalidate natural selection. Your genes are, through some totally unknown mechanism, actually intelligent, and they are scheming to do the Lord's work. You may think they're only sophisticated protein-coding chemicals, but they're actually profound thinkers- sitting there, down in your cells, scheming for the future of the species. This is the kind of hypothesis that you're either a crank or a genius for advancing, and geniuses provide evidence when they do this kind of thing.

Even better, it appears some of the "scienca alternativa" people have posting privileges, if the white text boxes in that thread are any indication.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,06:58   

Quote (Annyday @ Jan. 23 2008,07:23)
He thinks smart genes invalidate natural selection. Your genes are, through some totally unknown mechanism, actually intelligent, and they are scheming to do the Lord's work. You may think they're only sophisticated protein-coding chemicals, but they're actually profound thinkers- sitting there, down in your cells, scheming for the future of the species.

They're also selfish, as is well known, and those that are both selfish and intelligent can be quite dangerous. Less well known is that some genes are quite melancholy, prone to periods of pessimism and withdrawal, while others are tempestuous and mercurial, given to unrealistic plans (extra limbs, organs, eyes) they never seem to complete. A few extraordinarily gifted genes seem to originate whole species, and in a few instances entire body plans, with a single off-hand gesture, while most are plodders, working years to manufacture the rank and file of ordinary, unchanging, unsung proteins. Some are quite eccentric, expending their entire lives on crackpot folk art that is never seen and never appreciated. A lone gene who lived on a chromosome in Nevada was found, after he died, to have constructed a fully functioning, microscopic scale model of the city of New York within a single cell. He entitled it "The Cell as an Automated City." It has become somewhat of a local tourist draw.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,07:26   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 23 2008,03:21)
Lou, did you start referring to her as 'it', or was that Davetard?

That was Davey I think, but I don't have the reference handy.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,08:08   

Quote (Annyday @ Jan. 23 2008,06:23)
He thinks smart genes invalidate natural selection. Your genes are, through some totally unknown mechanism, actually intelligent, and they are scheming to do the Lord's work. You may think they're only sophisticated protein-coding chemicals, but they're actually profound thinkers- sitting there, down in your cells, scheming for the future of the species. This is the kind of hypothesis that you're either a crank or a genius for advancing, and geniuses provide evidence when they do this kind of thing.

It’s the dumb genes that you have to watch out for.  They live in the past, rooted to an outdated base, refuse to change, and are usually left behind as the genome expands and grows.  They contribute nothing to the future, and take up vital resources that could be better used elsewhere.  They communicate via broken and poorly constructed information strings, leading to nonsense, or a negative sense.

Although someone once said that laughter is the best medicine, as of this moment, the only known solution is a high colonic administered via garden hose, thus forcing the dumb genes to be flushed from the system.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,09:34   

From my very favorite UD thread ID's Predictive Prowess:

196 congregate

So, almost 200 responses later, can anyone provide anything that satisfies Dr. Dembski’s original request for:

"any samples of things that intelligent design theory has predicted, which researchers have later determined to be true?"

There are many examples above of predictions, but I didn’t see any that have been confirmed by researchers.

196 comments and not one single confirmed/validated ID prediction.  Dembski claimed he had a list of them but never mentioned a single one.  If Dembski had such a list he would have advanced the ID cause as well as his cultists understanding of ID.  So it begs the questions:

1) Why did Dembski post this in the first place?  Encouraging his cultists to make up ID predictions only exposes them as the raving IDiots that they are does not serve the ID cause at all.  Making a laughing stock of one's followers is typically not done, at least not done on purpose.
2) Why has Dembski not provided a single confirmed prediction?  This is linked to the first question I suppose.  Why does Demsbki sit back and watch his followers wallow in stupidity when he could use this opportunity to educate them?

We all know Dembski lied to his cultists and has no list of ID predictions that have been confirmed by research, so again, why did he do it?   And why do the tards not care?  Could it be they too know Dembski has no list and could care less?

That thread is one of the weirdest and revealing ones I have ever seen at the tard mine.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,09:43   

Mr. Christopher - Just because God The Designer does not need to respond to your pathetic level of detail.

IMO, it could mean that the Big TV Producer realized what an IDiot Dembski and his cause is, and dropped the interview, so the sooner the post got dropped off the front page, the better Dembski felt.

He wants that post disappeared faster than a fact from an ID Theory.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,10:21   

Dog you made me think of something.  I bet Dembski was unable to provide an ID prediction that was confirmed by research to the media talking head(s), therefore they had no inetrest in interviewing Dembski or Wells.  Only after that failure did he post about it.  

Dembski had nothing to lose (the media had already rejected him/ID) and everything to gain (one of the tards might have provided something Demsbki could actually use).

That's my prediction.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,10:33   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Jan. 23 2008,10:21)
Dog you made me think of something.  I bet Dembski was unable to provide an ID prediction that was confirmed by research to the media talking head(s), therefore they had no inetrest in interviewing Dembski or Wells.  Only after that failure did he post about it.  

Dembski had nothing to lose (the media had already rejected him/ID) and everything to gain (one of the tards might have provided something Demsbki could actually use).

That's my prediction.

Gotta agree.  Shit-for-brains Dembski has been out of fresh ID arguments for some time, so he's fishing in the slim hope that one of the IDiot underlings would raise a new talking point  

To keep the milking the ID cash cow, Dumbski needs some fresh manure to mold into his next book.

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,10:50   

Here are my ID predictions, following as best as I can the precepts of advanced DOL-WAD logic:
1) If Tuesdays always follow Mondays, then the universe is not random but ordered, which implies the presence of a Divine Orderer
2) If ID is true, it will become obvious that the IDists are best explained as the designer's reject pile, because if evolution were true, then people so obtuse as to be incapable of understanding science and unable to understand or make real predictions would have been selected out already.  
:)

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,11:04   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Jan. 23 2008,10:33)
Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Jan. 23 2008,10:21)

That's my prediction.

Gotta agree.  Shit-for-brains Dembski has been out of fresh ID arguments for some time, so he's fishing in the slim hope that one of the IDiot underlings would raise a new talking point  

To keep the milking the ID cash cow, Dumbski needs some fresh manure to mold into his next book.

It's like a weird recycling scheme.  Dembski feeds them manure (book form) they regurgitate it back to him where he repackages their refuse into a fresh, bold, new pile of steaming tard (book form) that they consume with glee.

This tard cycle is endless.

--------------

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,11:55   

The Denise O'Leary Method for Writing Books™:

Quote (CeilingCat @ Jan. 23 2008,06:20)

(From Denyse O'Leary)....... After we turned in the manuscript, I read several more books that opened my eyes on the subject. .....

Write first, then do relevant research by accident later!

She really is racking up those Own Goals.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,12:22   

all your goals are belong to us.

buy my book

cross dressing walks dogging backwards too It to have like evolved by mere chance.  placebo.

one of these eyes is not like the other...

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,14:44   

Quote (Zachriel @ Jan. 23 2008,05:34)
The Grants did actually measure them, though. But apparently DaveScot thinks measuring stuff is for the household help.

DaveScot: By the way, you Ebola Boys ™ seem to think there’s something noble about getting your hands dirty. In my line of work senior engineers do the brain work and have technicians do the bench work. It’s called division of labor. You should look into the concept.

It's too bad Slimy Sal didn't get hired on at EIL. He would have made a great butler.

--------------
CBEB's: The Church Burnin' Ebola Blog
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,18:07   

DaveTard links to a video that highlights how people see design where there is none:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/off-top....omments

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,18:14   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Jan. 23 2008,07:34)
From my very favorite UD thread ID's Predictive Prowess:

196 congregate

So, almost 200 responses later, can anyone provide anything that satisfies Dr. Dembski’s original request for:

"any samples of things that intelligent design theory has predicted, which researchers have later determined to be true?"

There are many examples above of predictions, but I didn’t see any that have been confirmed by researchers.

196 comments and not one single confirmed/validated ID prediction.  Dembski claimed he had a list of them but never mentioned a single one.  If Dembski had such a list he would have advanced the ID cause as well as his cultists understanding of ID.  So it begs the questions:

1) Why did Dembski post this in the first place?  Encouraging his cultists to make up ID predictions only exposes them as the raving IDiots that they are does not serve the ID cause at all.  Making a laughing stock of one's followers is typically not done, at least not done on purpose.
2) Why has Dembski not provided a single confirmed prediction?  This is linked to the first question I suppose.  Why does Demsbki sit back and watch his followers wallow in stupidity when he could use this opportunity to educate them?

We all know Dembski lied to his cultists and has no list of ID predictions that have been confirmed by research, so again, why did he do it?   And why do the tards not care?  Could it be they too know Dembski has no list and could care less?

That thread is one of the weirdest and revealing ones I have ever seen at the tard mine.

The best UD thread ever has, sadly, dropped off the front page, at least until Dr Dr D regales us with his verified predictions.

If this is the end, it's a fitting one - utter tard:

PaV

01/23/2008

5:01 pm
congregate:

What about “junk-DNA”?

And, if something has already been confirmed, how could it then be a prediction?

I predict that the sun is hot.

Umm...

any samples of things that intelligent design theory has predicted, which researchers have later determined to be true?

I predict that PaV does not good the English speak.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,18:24   

Quote (Mister DNA @ Jan. 23 2008,14:44)
It's too bad Slimy Sal didn't get hired on at EIL. He would have made a great butler.

De plane! De plane!

De Sign!  De Sign!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

silverspoon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,18:34   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Jan. 23 2008,09:34)

Have you ever seen a kid with an ant farm?  They often mess with it just to see what the ants will do.  As long as the ants are feed they don’t care what disrupts their organization, they just keep on doing what ants do---dig.

UD is Dembski’s personal ant farm. He doesn’t give a shit about them. They are for his amusement.

Edit just to see if I can.

--------------
Grand Poobah of the nuclear mafia

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,18:47   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 23 2008,18:24)

Quote (Mister DNA @ Jan. 23 2008,14:44)

De plane! De plane!

De Sign!  De Sign!

de short bus! de short bus!

--------------
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,20:01   

Wait. You're saying that Dembski is asking for mutated arguments, from which he may select those that seem best suited to convincing the faithful?

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,20:14   

Wuh oh, bad news for the church burning ebola boys:

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2008/01/disarming_ebola.php

:O

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,20:31   

Quote (afarensis @ Jan. 23 2008,21:14)

eh, I'd been advocating going all old school with Bubonic Plague for a while now anyway.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,20:34   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Jan. 23 2008,20:31)
Quote (afarensis @ Jan. 23 2008,21:14)

eh, I'd been advocating going all old school with Bubonic Plague for a while now anyway.

I might have to become the Church Burnin 'epatitis Blog.

By the way, I'm almost positive that ID predicted this. Tomorrow.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,22:15   

Does ID predict where in the hell Arden Chattersnatch is?  Hmmmm.  Louis has been curiously inactive as well.  Guess it's hard to type with two handfuls.  ORLY?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,22:31   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Jan. 23 2008,20:01)

Wait. You're saying that Dembski is asking for mutated arguments, from which he may select those that seem best suited to convincing the faithful?

I nominate this for best Wesley comment ever.  Nice.

edited to point out that since Wesley is intelligent the point will be lost on IDiots.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,22:51   

ajl:    
Would it be difficult to just remove the orphaned genes from the mice, and see what they produce after a few generations. If there is no difference then I suppose the genes really do have no function.
It's not too difficult if one knows the underlying biology. Obviously, this is not the case:    
Another experiment would be to cross breed the knock-out mice with regular mice that have the orphaned genes and see what happens.
Seems that commenters at UD are unaware that mice are diploid and that KOs are generated by inactivating one allele in ES cells. Maybe accepting alleles is too Darwinian but I rather assume that they just don't grasp Mendelian laws. Provided the orphan genes are not on the X or  Y chromosome cross breeding heterozygous mutants to WT mice would only result in heterozgous mice and WT mice again. If he meant breeding homozygous mutants with WT mice he would end up with heterozygous mice only. Thus, he wouldn't get homozygous KO mice.
Oherwise ajl would know when a phenotype will appear  
But, if after the 3rd or 4th generation, I wonder if we would start to see anamolies in the mice.
I can not imagine that he wanted to imply that orphan genes are genarally epigentically regulated. And he surely could not have meant complex traits in which a phenotype may show up only after several rounds of breeding. Thus, it's just the common ID drivel.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,23:02   

Mapou is adept at mouse genetics and transgenesis and he seems to be willing to follow Denyse and handle data in a non-materialistic way  
I’m not sure how one would interpret the results, good or bad.
(emphasis added)

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2008,23:55   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Jan. 23 2008,19:01)

Yeah, but then Dr. Dr. Speckled and Spotted Sweater will claim that he had strategically placed the willow rods near the water hole all along. ;)

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2008,00:56   

Quote (Kristine @ Jan. 23 2008,23:55)
Yeah, but then Dr. Dr. Speckled and Spotted Sweater will claim that he had strategically placed the willow rods near the water hole all along. ;)

Mock all you want, Kristine.  The fact is, the Bible has always been years ahead of scientists.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2008,01:33   

My morning trawl through UD:

1. PaV admits he's wrong about Darwin's Finches.  But Grant and Grant were still mis-interpreting the data.  Could it be that PaV is right this time?  The answer's come up, right after the break.

2. jstanley01 is stirring the pot

jstanley01

01/23/2008

6:12 pm

Hmm. Finch… Finch… Finch… Any relation to the late Peter (I’m mad as h*ll and not going to take it anymore) Finch???

How long before he becomes jstanley02?

3. bFast says more than he intends:

It is clear to me that the scientists, as usual, are clearer thinkers than the guys that report on them.

4. And the debate hots up in the comments section of DO'L's DoL post:

chirrp

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2008,03:52   

Meanwhile, UrbanMysticDee keeps the Tard flowing:        
The face on Mars is not an optical illusion. The Mars Global Surveyor satellite took over 120,000 photographs and the one “debunking” the face was the only one out of the hundreds of thousands of photographs to get sent through five filters that distorted the picture beyond all recognition. When the photo is corrected for to remove the damaging effects of the filters (an attempt at restoring the original) there is striking evidence of intelligence behind the structure there.

There's evidence of intelligence everywhere if we could just stop those damned Darwinist scientists from lying to us!

You'll have to go to UD to get the two URLs he specifies, I couldn't get them to transfer.  Good examples of ID-Science at both of them, though.

Speaking of lying to us, whatever happened to Dembski's researcher?  The last time I tried to get onto his "Stop Lying to Us" blog at www.stoplyingtous.com, it was password controlled.  I wonder if he stores his naughty picures there?

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 817 818 819 820 821 [822] 823 824 825 826 827 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]