RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (14) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >   
  Topic: A thread for William Wallace, To talk about important things< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Peter Henderson

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,18:04   

Well of course, that's from being in Britain, right?

Belfast believe it or not Arden. The first part of the UK to legalise civil parterships.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangefield_High_School

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,19:55   

"Dubya" Wallace did ask:

Are you in the group Minnesota Atheists for "Science" Education?

No, I'm not.  But I'm not in the group known as Westboro Babtist Church, either.

Later on, Little Willy whined:

For example, Jeff Snell on KKMS yesterday mentioned the vile treatment he received over at OZ Myer's Phartngula.

But keep it up.  Christians listen to KKMS, and don't much frequent AtBC or other PT-mafia hangouts, but they do listen when Jeff mentions the behavior of evolanders on KKMS.

Nobody in the metro or anywhere else in Minnesota cares what Jeff Snell thinks.  KKMS has a listenership of about 100 to 200 in its entire broadcast range.  KQRS has >10,000 car-radio listeners alone, at any given time, year-round.  

Way to marginalize your cause, Willy.

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,20:18   

Little Willie tries some odd logic:

The fact that different people come up with the same idea, or similar ideas, independently makes it true, to you?

By this I conclude that only one person though they could turn lead into gold, and shared this idea with countless others.  Because if two different people had this notion independently, it would be true?

It doesn't matter who does or doesn't have the idea, or how many do or don't.  What matters is the reality of the situation.  Two plus two always equals four, no matter how many times the pope or President say otherwise, or how many people agree with them or not.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,20:52   

Quote (jeffox @ May 08 2008,17:55)

For example, Jeff Snell on KKMS yesterday mentioned the vile treatment he received over at OZ Myer's Phartngula.

OK, "Phartngula" is straight outta the Dembskiian School of Comedy.  But 'OZ'?  Are you saying PZ is the great and powerful OZ of Evoland?  Would you like to ask him for a brain?  Or are you comparing him to the other well known OZ, a.k.a He-who-urinates-on-Texan-historical-landmarks?

(edited 11/4/2008: New Image Host)

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,21:13   

Didymos wrote:

OK, "Phartngula" is straight outta the Dembskiian School of Comedy.  But 'OZ'?  Are you saying PZ is the great and powerful OZ of Evoland?  Would you like to ask him for a brain?  Or are you comparing him to the other well known OZ, a.k.a He-who-urinates-on-Texan-historical-landmarks?

I thought that that was just an accidental application of the FTK head-up-the-butt school of typing/editing.    :)

hereoisreal

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,21:36   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 08 2008,13:03)
Quote (midwifetoad @ May 08 2008,12:23)
If you do go "over there" you will be treated to such gems as this:

For example, the oft-repeated idea that an object of a specified size and shape dropped from a specified height in a vacuum will take an amount of time to fall that is independent of the dropped object’s mass is simply untrue. But it is a useful approximation, and widely considered to be “true” even among the scientifically educated.

It is a gem, thanks.  Come on over to discuss further, if you dare.

Mr. Wallace, I was looking forward to responses
to my post on "The Scientific Method". last night.

Zero

--------------
360  miracles and more at:
http://www.hereoisreal.com/....eal.com

Great news. God’s wife is pregnant! (Rev. 12:5)

It's not over till the fat lady sings! (Isa. 54:1 & Zec 9:9)

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,21:50   

Quote (jeffox @ May 08 2008,19:13)
Didymos wrote:

I thought that that was just an accidental application of the FTK head-up-the-butt school of typing/editing.    :)

Dude, stop harshing my vibe with your parsimony.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron

William Wallace

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,22:45   

Quote (hereoisreal @ May 08 2008,21:36)
Mr. Wallace, I was looking forward to responses
to my post on "The Scientific Method". last night.

Zero

Could you post it again, I am not sure you hit the submit button, unless some filter got it.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,22:51   

Willy Wally!

Is ID science?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,22:53   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 08 2008,11:28)
Quote (Richardthughes @ May 08 2008,11:26)
Willy Wally doesn't want to talk science.
:(

Sure I do, come to my blog and let's talk.  This place is not about science, but about defending an ideology.

Look WW, it's very simple.  Why do I think you should answer every question I ask?  Well, truth be told, because YOU fucking started it.  You wander in saying things like the above.  You claim to want to talk about the science.

Yet, when someone even tangentially mentions science, you cry foul, run to your mama, your preacher, or your God and claim that you are being persecuted.

It's not that you don't answer ALL of the questions, William.

It's that you don't really bother to answer ANY of them.  After a few days of a jackass claiming to want to discuss a thing while simultaneously refusing to answer even the most basic questions relating to that thing, what happens?

Well, it becomes obvious that the jackass has no intention of ever discussing the matter he claims to care so deeply about.  At that point, William, the jackass, Wallace becomes fair game.  Since he obviously isn't going to participate in even entry-level discussion, the more questions the better--the better to show off his ass-ish nature.

So, that's why the list of questions.  As we told Ftk some time ago, if you'd take 2 of the minutes you spend on the stupid shit and answer a question as it comes up, you'd avoid a few things: the backlog, the idiot label, a total lack of respect, etc.

Of course, you can't muster the time to answer a simple yes/no question such as, "Was Sternberg fired?"

But you can spend endless hours producing shit like:

"Of course I want to talk about science; just come over to my place."

Your place is the same place where you answered not one question about science and threaten to ban the people who ask you about science.

What a fucking twat.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

William Wallace

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,22:58   

Quote (blipey @ May 08 2008,22:53)
Of course, you can't muster the time to answer a simple yes/no question such as, "Was Sternberg fired?"

First, you already know the answer to the question about Sternberg.  Second, it is not a scientific question.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:03   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 08 2008,20:58)

First, you already know the answer to the question about Sternberg.  Second, it is not a scientific question.

Yeah, well, neither is "Who is the Designer?" or "How much CSI does a tedious troll contain?

--------------

William Wallace

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:04   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 08 2008,22:51)
Willy Wally!

Is ID science?

If you do some homework, you might find this:

A review of Expelled, part 1

The answer is in there somewhere.

Of course, that is just my opinion, I am new to studying ID.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:06   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 08 2008,21:04)
Willy Wally!

Is ID science?

Opinions are like William Wallaces: everybody's got one.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:12   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 09 2008,00:04)

Let me save you some time.

Goddidit.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:24   

crossposted from WWs playpen (it's easier here WW)
WW thanks for posting the comment.  that will <b>always</b> happen without edit on your thread at ATBC.

jake, i read the piece.  the assertion that evolutionary biology is an exercise in confirmation bias is an empirical claim.  it should be trivial for WW to demonstrate how this is so.  

we strongly desire to hear WW's alternative explanations, free from conservapeadiean confirmation bias, worldblog worldview pollution, uncommonly dense teleological confusion, or standard young earth fundie pomo relativism.

it is dangerous indeed when the currency of scientific explanation becomes a practice in rhetoric.  bitching about parsimony and approximate truths is all fine and good when you are preaching to your youth group.  what is your solution?

this is new

WW do tell what kind of research program ID is, per your Expelled comment linked in about four comments up.  I am dying to hear.  Does Lakatos really support you here my degenerative friend?  do you just toss buzz words around?  dude?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:25   

Perhaps you could be bothered to explain why YOU think ID is science?  Links are great, your own words are a tad bit better.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:28   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 08 2008,22:58)

I suppose not, but I believe it came up in conversation.  Is there a particular reason you can't get yourself to type the answer?

What about this; is this one scientific?

HOW OLD IS THE FLIPPIN' EARTH?

--------------

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:35   

This amuses me.

This is the place that off-topic, tendentious, and/or especially evil spirited comments end up. At least for a period of time.

BUFFER OVERFLOW

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:38   

blipey in case you were wondering, here is what willy walla tags 'science' in his pram.

Observations, experimentation, Occam’s razor, and gravity
Thursday, May 8th, 2008

The Scientific Method
Thursday, May 8th, 2008

My son’s first grade teacher (God Bless Her!)
Tuesday, May 6th, 2008

Applied Darwinism in NAZI Germany
Monday, April 28th, 2008

Big brother’s DNA bank: government genetic testing
Tuesday, April 1st, 2008

So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright?
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008

Aborted fetal cell line vaccines
Monday, March 10th, 2008

ALL SCIENCE SO FAR

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2008,23:49   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 08 2008,23:04)
Willy Wally!

Is ID science?

Willy Wally!

As for I.D., I view it as a valid criticism of evolution, and a research program. I don’t think it is yet science, though the scientific method can be used to pursue I.D.

How do we pursue it? What do we research?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,00:17   

There's a perfectly lovely place for comments that get bounced from PT (and the responses thereto).

IMG_2057, by JosephH

Edited by Lou FCD on May 09 2008,01:27

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,00:26   

Didymos wrote:
Dude, stop harshing my vibe with your parsimony.

Whoa, I didn't even know I had one of those. . .  :)

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,00:40   

Every time Little Willy posts, it's like the circus is in town.  (Shakes the monkey cage to get WW all riled up.)  Oh, ya ya quite the geek show, lemme tell ya.

No, really, guys, you gotta ask WW questions that he can actually answer, like this one:

Hey, Willy-boy. . . is the WWF real?  I know these little old ladies that say for sure it's real.  What's your take?  Ya know, I especially liked it when George (the animal) Steele bit into that turnbuckle.  Woo hoo!!  Such fun.

and this one:

What's your favorite dive in the Hennepin & Lake St. area?  Been spending much time there lately?  or are you normally this hungover?  Just asking. . .

Back into your cage now.  Yes, the one with the sign that says, "Total embarassment to Minnesota."

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,00:44   

Quote (dheddle @ May 08 2008,11:13)
Technically WW is correct re. falling bodies, although I am not sure if the trap he plans to spring is General Relativity or relative acceleration.

He went for relative acceleration:

The time to fall is measured in the time to collide, and not only does the Earth pull a falling object down, but the falling object pulls the Earth up.

--------------

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,00:48   

Quote (jeffox @ May 08 2008,22:40)
Back into your cage now.  Yes, the one with the sign that says, "Total embarassment to Minnesota."

Don't feel too bad.  You guys have got Marge Gunderson.  Oh, wait...she's not real.  Ah, screw it, she's still cool.

--------------

William Wallace

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,01:05   

Quote (jeffox @ May 09 2008,00:40)
"Total embarassment to Minnesota."

That would be PZ Myers.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,01:22   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 08 2008,23:05)

Quote (jeffox @ May 09 2008,00:40)
"Total embarassment to Minnesota."

That would be PZ Myerscorrect.

--------------

William Wallace

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,01:32   

Quote (didymos @ May 09 2008,00:44)
Quote (dheddle @ May 08 2008,11:13)
Technically WW is correct re. falling bodies, although I am not sure if the trap he plans to spring is General Relativity or relative acceleration.

He went for relative acceleration:

The time to fall is measured in the time to collide, and not only does the Earth pull a falling object down, but the falling object pulls the Earth up.

Come on, it is obvious that you were PZ Fan, and now you're fronting like you knew something about science.  

PZ fan wrote:  You should study physics before making absurd claims. It is common knowledge that heavier objects do *not* fall faster than lighter objects in a vaccum.

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2008,02:47   

Hmn.  Show me a pinhole camera that has a focus adjustment.

I don't know if it is relevant, but sometimes at night and I don't have my glasses on, I create a "pinhole" with my index finger and actually, I can focus on the clock by adjusting the size of the pinhole.

Are you saying that is not possible?

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

410 replies since May 03 2008,03:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (14) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]