RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,15:54   

Quote (George @ Sep. 27 2007,15:49)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 27 2007,11:34)
Quote (Doc Bill @ Sep. 27 2007,11:27)
Tin comes from Bolivia is a fact.  

*some* Tin comes from Bolivia is a fact.  

Tings come from Jamaica, Mon.

Oi!  Some tings come from Dublin, ya bollix.

Like Tree Fellers?
Mick, Mick and Shamus.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,17:14   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 27 2007,14:25)
SuperSport is now posting at FtK's blog.

If we can get Neal from PT and Larry Fafarman to join them there, we're all set.

Hey, FTK, ask Supersport for his theory about swans. He'll know what you mean.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,17:21   

Larry FreeFromFeta already posts there.  Some of the best legal advice in the world at Reasonable Kansans.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,17:57   

Quote (blipey @ Sep. 27 2007,17:21)
Larry FreeFromFeta already posts there.  Some of the best legal advice in the world at Reasonable Kansans.

Could Davison be lured in there?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,17:59   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 27 2007,15:57)
Quote (blipey @ Sep. 27 2007,17:21)

Could Davison be lured in there?

If we're looking to fill the short bus, how about afdave?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,18:18   

Quote (blipey @ Sep. 27 2007,18:21)

A blog with FtK, Supersport, and Larry Farfromsane? Wow. It's like ScienceBlogs in Bizarro World.

notta_skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,18:37   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 27 2007,19:18)

A blog with FtK, Supersport, and Larry Farfromsane? Wow. It's like ScienceBlogs in Bizarro World.

geez - add in afdave and john davidson, and you'd have a veritable black hole of tard.

--------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,19:05   

Quote (notta_skeptic @ Sep. 27 2007,18:37)

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 27 2007,19:18)

geez - add in afdave and john davidson, and you'd have a veritable black hole of tard.

For the cherry on the top, you would have to add Bornagain77. He would be right at home there...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,19:13   

Should we add Joe Gallien, or would that wreck it?

--------------

Richard Simons

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,19:53   

csadams wrote
Is this how it works?

1.  Scientist makes a statement about religion or politics or best-tasting beer.
2.  FtK doesn't agree with said statement.
3.  FtK reasons that the scientist must know absolutely nothing about his/her field of scientific expertise.

Not as far as I am concerned. All I was saying is that it is reasonable to suspect that someone who produces BS in one area quite possibly produces BS in another area (which is quite different from making an error).

As an example, a person who considered himself to be something of a chemist said that cobalt is a rare earth element and when it is present in soil it gets converted to other rare earth elements, which I know to be BS. Two weeks later he was talking about economics and said something surprising that I had not heard of before. Would I have been wise to trust him? In my experience, someone who indulges in BS in one area tends to in other areas too (and considers their expertise encompasses all fields).

Similarly, someone who is unable to detect BS in one area frequently seems unable to spot BS in a whole variety of topics.

BTW, the statement on cobalt came from someone employed as a soil scientist.

--------------
All sweeping statements are wrong.

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,19:55   

Ftk was right!  The death of science is near!

Astronomers don't know what the hell they're doing!

Pertinent admission:

"We're confused and excited, but it could open up a whole new research field," Lorimer told SPACE.com

Will Lorimer finally admit 6,000 year old Earth?

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,20:28   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Sep. 27 2007,15:29)
To Reciprocating Bill: very nicely said, and an interesting point.

There is a bigger theme here that I have noticed in discussions on other topics: that person holding position A cannot really understand position B because they can't step out of their own framework: they can only understand the antithesis or denial of their own position, but not the existence of a different framework.  This seems to be why many strawman arguments arise: not because person A is deliberately trying to misrepresent position B, but rather because the only thing about position B that A can understand is a caricature of B's position based on A's framework.

Well, that's right. In fact, FTK's response to the notion of natural origins regarding which the assignment of "accidental" vs. "intentional" is a category error is to attempt to push the question back, asking something like (I'm paraphrasing), "Yes, natural laws are well and good, but where did they come from? Either they were designed or were accidental." This is an attempt to push the question back onto familiar, intentional ground, the framework by means of which she thinks about these questions.

The ascription of intention, and the detection of accidents, may be quite ancient; Tomasello and others have experimentally demonstrated sensitivity to "intentional" versus "accidental" behaviors in chimpanzees, suggesting that such sensitivity was also present in the common ancestor to chimp and hominid lines. The ascription of agency in human beings may have an evolutionary grounding, with a payoff in efficient social cognition, useful both for detecting deception and for establishing cooperation and coordination. Hence we are quite compelled by the ascription of agency.

(edit for correct citation of Tomasello rather than Povinelli)

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2007,21:03   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Sep. 27 2007,20:28)
The ascription of intention, and the detection of accidents, may be quite ancient; Daniel Povinelli and others have experimentally demonstrated sensitivity to "intentional" versus "accidental" behaviors in chimpanzees, suggesting that such sensitivity was also present in the common ancestor to chimp and hominid lines. The ascription of agency in human beings may have an evolutionary grounding, with a payoff in efficient social cognition, useful both for detecting deception and for establishing cooperation and coordination. Hence we are quite compelled by the ascription of agency.

IOW, FTK and her creationist brethran have not progressed much since our early hominid days.

So, are you proposing to place her as FTK/Pan troglodytes , or FTK Homo afarensis?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2007,02:42   

Quote (J-Dog @ Sep. 28 2007,03:03)
Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Sep. 27 2007,20:28)
The ascription of intention, and the detection of accidents, may be quite ancient; Daniel Povinelli and others have experimentally demonstrated sensitivity to "intentional" versus "accidental" behaviors in chimpanzees, suggesting that such sensitivity was also present in the common ancestor to chimp and hominid lines. The ascription of agency in human beings may have an evolutionary grounding, with a payoff in efficient social cognition, useful both for detecting deception and for establishing cooperation and coordination. Hence we are quite compelled by the ascription of agency.

IOW, FTK and her creationist brethran have not progressed much since our early hominid days.

So, are you proposing to place her as FTK/Pan troglodytes , or FTK Homo afarensis?

No need to reclassify creationists, they already have their own classification: Homo ludens.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2007,03:11   

I think FTK said it best

Science is a search for truth...there should be no materialistic gatekeeper hell bent on blocking the path.

Aye, if Science is a search for the truth, then that must be  why you tell (lie) to your children that the earth is 6000 years old.

One day, like we pointed out to AFDave a long time ago, they'll grow up and wonder why they were lied to for so long. And if they don't well, maybe their kids will break out of the intellectual prison you are constructing for them (for their own good).

And FTK, who is the materialistic gatekeeper you speak of? I guess you mean "the vast majority of real scientists". And alot of the people here are scientists. So I guess you mean them. Scientist girlz and boyz, you are so mean to FTK.

FTK there is nobody stopping Dembski doing ID research, they even have their own Journal for flips sake. How come the materialistic gatekeeper lets http://www.iscid.org/ publish and research?

Knowing http://www.iscid.org/ exists, how many separate compartments do you have to maintain in your mind to hold  so many contradictory positions at once.

The earth is old and young.
A materialistic gatekeeper stops all ID work being published, yet the ID journal has existed for a decade.

FTK, who or what is the materialistic gatekeeper you speak of?

I think you are thinking of clowns to be honest. You see, people laugh at clowns. People also laugh at ID "research". So in your mind "clowns = ID" because they both make people laugh? Is that it?

FTK, who or what is the materialistic gatekeeper you speak of and blame for holding the "science of finding god" back?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2007,08:37   

I think you are thinking of clowns to be honest. You see, people laugh at clowns. People also laugh at ID "research". So in your mind "clowns = ID" because they both make people laugh? Is that it?

No. No. No.  People laugh BECAUSE of clowns.  And clowns who are doing their job also teach their audience something.  I take a great deal of umbrage to this statement.

I think I'm over it now.

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2007,08:39   

Quote (blipey @ Sep. 28 2007,08:37)

No. No. No.  People laugh BECAUSE of clowns.  And clowns who are doing their job also teach their audience something.  I take a great deal of umbrage to this statement.

I think I'm over it now.

Ah, please accept my abject apologies!

You are quite right, but I hope you understood my sentiment :)

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2007,08:50   

Yes. Yes, I did.  I like to remind people that clowns (and by extension theatre, film, and fine arts) present wonderful educational opportunities.  Many people just don't think of these disciplines as practical.

And I should take this opportunity to apologize for being so horribly mean to you, Oldman.  I can't believe I was so personal in my hatred for you that I let it reflect in my deep and biting comment.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for, Ftk.  I can offer goofy apologies for things I didn't do all day long.

On that note, how're the following coming:

1.  Backing up your statement that I believe my nephew's teacher to be "a source of evil".

2.  Backing up your statement that I condemned the concept a priori.

Nice to know that you're still the same old disrespectful blowhard that demands respect from others.

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2007,12:21   

I can offer goofy apologies for things I didn't do all day long.

Seriously, if its one thing a tight assed sphincterist can't stand its a smart assed clown.

Seriously have you thought about castratorization?

Once when I was a young man trying to torment my childrens clowns not only was I rebuffed by the vast majority of the female parents of my offsprings friends
THE FREAKING CLOWN CLAIMED DIBS ON THE FREAKING JOKES!!!

Live it up, time is too short to step wide.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

slpage

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2007,13:35   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 27 2007,14:25)
SuperSport is now posting at FtK's blog.

A regular Meeting of the Minds...

Hey FtK - ask SS where RNA comes from!

He says it comes from "the mind", but I don't believe him.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2007,17:48   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Sep. 28 2007,04:11)
I think FTK said it best

Science is a search for truth...there should be no materialistic gatekeeper hell bent on blocking the path.

Aye, if Science is a search for the truth, then that must be  why you tell (lie) to your children that the earth is 6000 years old.

'Science is the search for truth" might be something useful to tell laypeople. Any concise definition of science is going to be incomplete and imprecise, but a much better first order definition is "Science is about building, testing, and refining models which make useful predictions." Geology has models, nuclear physics has models, biology has models, astronomy has models, etc. A 14-billion-year-old universe jibes with several fundamental models in different fields. A 10-thousand-year-old universe is incompatible with fundamental models. Telling someone the evidence is equivocal on that point is misleading them.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,12:57   

Not-so-surprising news from FtK

If you find that my posts are a bit sparse for the next month or so, you can pop over to Young Cosmos where I'll be guest blogging for a time.

With Salvador leaving public debate to continue his education at John Hopkins, they are minus a blogger, so I've been asked to particate for a while.

No doubt Sal's moderation policy, which resulted in him posting messages to himself since everybody else was banned, will continue as part of FtK's "partication".

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,19:03   

FTK -

Way to equate homosexuality and pedophilia!

I would have thought stupidity, ignorance and bigotry would have been more of a concern to you than a provocative poster, but, as they say, the eye can't see itself.

Here's to you:

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

RF Brady

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,19:14   

FtK, shame on you. As I recall, in the past you have asserted that some of your close relatives and/or best friends are homosexuals. You should know that the vast overwelming majority of pedophiles are heterosexuals or more accurately nonsexuals since pedophilia and other similar disfunctional "isms" are not really sexual in nature. You really need to get your head back on straight - stop the self perscribed lithium and make an appointment with a mental health professional.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,19:22   

FtK concludes that because some perverts in San Francisco had a parade, "next thing we know, paedophiles will be granted access to our children."

I didn't know they made slopes that slippery.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,19:23   

The type of behavior I found in that article is equivalent to paedophilia, IMHO.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,19:45   

Quote (Ftk @ Sep. 29 2007,20:23)
The type of behavior I found in that article is equivalent to paedophilia, IMHO.

So, you're saying that the guy who created a leather-themed poster at the expense of your favorite messiah and the guy who vaginally penetrated your neighbor's five your old daughter committed equivalent crimes.

Do I have that right?

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,20:11   

Yeah, pretty much...because the poster is not the extent to which these perverts play and the behaviors they endorse.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,20:22   

Quote (Ftk @ Sep. 29 2007,21:11)
Yeah, pretty much...because the poster is not the extent to which these perverts play and the behaviors they endorse.

Namely sexual acts between consenting persons of the same gender.

So, you equate sexual acts between consenting adults of the same gender with an adult male vaginally penetrating your neighbor's five year old daughter?

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 29 2007,20:51   

Considering the sexual acts they seem to be promoting and the fact that these type of acts are usually for gratification only with no intent to form a loving, caring relationship with another person, YES...I do.

--------------

10202 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]