RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < ... 237 238 239 240 241 [242] 243 244 245 246 247 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 03 2008,21:28   

but it's acceptable drivel, rhythmic.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 03 2008,23:44   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 03 2008,06:10)
New users who have established a reputation for responsible posting can request topic creation and edit privileges.

Define "responsible".  Like, is there a hard limit on, say, average number of LOLCats per post or something?

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 03 2008,23:51   

I may not know how to define it, but I know it when I see it.

Or, perhaps more accurately, I know its absence when I see that.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: May 04 2008,05:30   

Quote (didymos @ May 03 2008,23:44)
New users who have established a reputation for responsible posting can request topic creation and edit privileges.

Define "responsible".  Like, is there a hard limit on, say, average number of LOLCats per post or something?

Here is a hint.

i'll leave it as an exercise for the reader whether a picture of L. Ron Hubbard crosses the threshold.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 04 2008,15:53   

Quote (blipey @ April 29 2008,20:49)

starwind: <i>Hitler merely applied that tenet to his own race, and went the extra step of substituting his own selection of the fittest instead of allowing evolution to take its natural course.</i>

Why do people lecture about things they don't know anything about? Starwind just imagines something and then believes it to be fact. It's Luskinesque. It's a weird form of stupidity.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 04 2008,15:55   

Starwind, FtK, and most of the creationists would be a lot better off if they'd close their mouths and open their ears. Or even read a single college textbook on biology.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 04 2008,16:15   

Quote (stevestory @ May 04 2008,13:55)
Starwind, FtK, and most of the creationists would be a lot better off if they'd close their mouths and open their ears. Or even read a single college textbook on biology.

Biology is just stamp collecting. Dave Tard said so.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,10:44   

Biology is just stamp collecting.

So, is that why they're trying to stamp out the teaching of it? :p

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,12:08   

What for?  The problem isn't input/output, it's data processing.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,12:13   

Quote (JohnW @ May 05 2008,12:08)

FtK is just an echo chamber for EvolutionSnoozeandLoose.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,13:34   

Thanks to a link by Lou FCD, I found this Onion article that explains a lot.  (Please do not pay any attention to Albatrossity.  I am sure he is the aberration, and FTK the norm...)

30 Years Of Man's Life Disapere in "Kansas rectangle"

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,14:24   

Quote (JohnW @ May 05 2008,13:08)

It's a combination of stupidity and ignorance. If the great majority of creationists at least learned a single semester of biology I think a fraction of them would be on the path to understanding. Of the ones who seem hopeless, like FtK and the commenters at UD, at the very least they might appear slightly less stupid if they learned enough to avoid some of the more basic errors they make.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,14:28   

For instance, when someone like FtK says that discovering a new planet usually doesn't lead to any further research, that's the kind of embarrassingly stupid comment that could be avoided with a small amount of learning.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,14:33   

Of course, this is a fantasy. If creationists wanted to learn about science they would. They don't, they just sit around the internet complaining, which is pretty much all they're capable of doing. Research, the corpse of PCID shows, is not their forte.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,14:41   

Speaking of that, it's hard to wrap one's mind around how intellectually bankrupt Intelligent Design has been, but here's one metric. Since the Kitzmiller decision 2.5 years ago, the YEC fake scientific journal Journal of Creation has published 7 issues, while the ID fake scientific journal PCID has published 0.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,14:49   

Quote (stevestory @ May 05 2008,12:24)
It's a combination of stupidity and ignorance. If the great majority of creationists at least learned a single semester of biology I think a fraction of them would be on the path to understanding. Of the ones who seem hopeless, like FtK and the commenters at UD, at the very least they might appear slightly less stupid if they learned enough to avoid some of the more basic errors they make.

But the ignorance isn't, in many cases, the unfortunate result of poor education or other circumstances.  It's wilful.  They're choosing to either discount all the works of "Darwinists" sight unseen (FTK, for example) or use said works only as a source of out-of-context quotemines (like Sal).  Until and unless they're prepared to abandon this behaviour, it doesn't matter how much evidence we throw at them; the result will always be either incoherent screaming ("Atheist!  ATHEIST!  AAAATHEEEEIIIIST!!!!" - FTK) or pseudoscientific non-sequiturs ("F=ma.  Therefore God did it" - Sal).

You can lead a horse to water...

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,14:56   

Quote (stevestory @ May 05 2008,14:33)
.....the corpse of PCID shows.....

It's not dead!

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,15:25   

Quote (carlsonjok @ May 05 2008,15:56)
Quote (stevestory @ May 05 2008,14:33)
.....the corpse of PCID shows.....

It's not dead!

that is just great

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,18:08   

Quote (J-Dog @ May 05 2008,11:34)
Thanks to a link by Lou FCD, I found this Onion article that explains a lot.  (Please do not pay any attention to Albatrossity.  I am sure he is the aberration, and FTK the norm...)

30 Years Of Man's Life Disapere in "Kansas rectangle"

They also recently reported on some very interesting rodent research:
Son-Of-A-Bitch Mouse Solves Maze Researchers Spent Months Building

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,18:27   

Ozone Mystery Pops Up in Kansas Park @ NPR.

A pollution sensor in a state park in a remote area of Kansas is registering ozone levels in the unhealthful range on some summer days. No one seems to know where the ozone's coming from.

Oh, I have an idea about that...

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

rhmc

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,19:48   

Quote (Henry J @ May 05 2008,11:44)

damn philatelists.

anyone remember archie and jughead from firesign theater?  :)

(don't crush that dwarf...?)

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,22:17   

Quote (rhmc @ May 05 2008,19:48)

Quote (Henry J @ May 05 2008,11:44)

damn philatelists.

anyone remember archie and jughead from firesign theater?  :)

(don't crush that dwarf...?)

...hand me the pliers?

Wow, that just burrowed right out of the dope-scorched DMZ of my brain. Wonder what else is living in there...

(I think I just spotted Nick Danger, Third Eye...)

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,06:12   

Quote (didymos @ May 04 2008,05:44)

I won't presume to speak for Wesley, but I would imagine that a useful LOLcat:post ratio is at least a starting place on the road to full posting privileges. Our ways are mickle and mysterious, LOLcats are only one road on the path to enlightenment. Knob jokes also help apparently.*

Louis

*Actually, probably not so much.

--------------
Bye.

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,16:54   

Quote (stevestory @ May 05 2008,14:28)
For instance, when someone like FtK says that discovering a new planet usually doesn't lead to any further research, that's the kind of embarrassingly stupid comment that could be avoided with a small amount of learning.

Of course this brings us around to the topic of creationists and embarrassment.  It seems that the great majority of them are incapable of being embarrassed; it is a foreign concept to them.

Normal people, when shown to be completely and utterly wrong about a matter, usually care about being wrong.  This will lead to a few things: embarrassment, possibly a little self-directed anger at being wrong, a bit of pleasure at learning something new, the desire to do better in the future....  You know, all those things you'd like to think the world takes for granted.

Creationists?  Completely incapable of any of the above.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,17:01   

The intellectual wimp, Ftk, shows her prowess again:

Blipey's possibly unappearing comment:
Ftk, showing her love for intellectual freedom and thought:

"[blipey, please note I'm talking to Oleg----NOT YOU.]"

Why should it matter?  This question is relevant in two completely unrelated ways (I love it).

1.  If the question is valid, why should it matter who asked it?

2.  Why does it matter who asks you questions; you won't answer them anyway?

From here.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,17:13   

Same thread:
blipey?:
Slick.  Did you listen to all of it?  Or just the parts where he talked bad about evolution?  Even there, did you really listen to what he said, or did you just hear "evolution is bad"?

I'd really like a response to that.

If you get around to it, I'll tell you what I heard.  Then we can have a discussion about it--what I heard, what you heard, how they're the same, how they're different.

Of course, we all know you can't do conversation.

--------------

William Wallace

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,23:04   

Wesley, I know you are angry with Joshua Rosenau for usurping the ministry of propaganda position at the NC"S"E, but is that any reason to call unreasonalbe?his blog by have a thread called "Unreasonable Kansans thread"?

"Thoughts from Kansas" is not that unreasonable.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,23:10   

Is this a joke, or are you dyslexic, Willy Wally?*

*Atheists are not minions of Santa.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Zarquon

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,23:27   

He's trying to be "clever" and pretend UnReasonable Kansans in the title means Josh Rosenau not Fancies the Knobgobblers

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,23:29   

I'll have to secularize him.

--------------

10202 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < ... 237 238 239 240 241 [242] 243 244 245 246 247 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]