RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < ... 231 232 233 234 235 [236] 237 238 239 240 241 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
blipey

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,09:23   

Uriel:
It's not that she can't, or won't answer your questions- The simple fact is that she has no idea what you're talking about. At all.

I've never really thought about it that way before.  I never expect answers from Ftk or her ilk, but like to put their lack of answers in print.

I often think that she is clueless about the topics she discusses: biology, cosmology, geology, etc.  That is understandable as well, those all being complicated fields one needs to study and work at.

You are getting at something much more fundamental, something that I joke about but never really applied to Ftk:

She really can't understand basic logic.  The questions about population growth aren't difficult, don't (in and of themselves) require much education and no specialized training.  But she still is unable to comprehend their meaning....

It does put Ftk in a new light for me, an even sadder light, if possible.  The type of person who can pontificate on subjects without comprehending basic sentences relating to the subject matter is disgusting.  To lack the tiny amount of self-awareness that would clue you in on your own ignorance is mind-boggling to me.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,09:33   

Anonymous and Ftk share a LOGIC moment.

Ken Miller makes clear that athesim is rampant in the classrooms, and that was my experience and my kids.

"Over years of teaching and research in science, I have come to realize that a presumption of atheism or agnosticism ia universal in academic life." " It would be difficult to overstate how common this presumption of Godlessness is." Ken Miller, Finding Darwins God, page 19.

Oh, for pete's sake, that's not what that quote says at all.  Can you grasp English sentences?

Ken says the presumption of atheism in academics is rampant.  He is not saying that atheism is rampant but only that people believe it is.

Atheism may very well be rampant in academia, but this quote does not support that conclusion.  Your case would be helped immensely if you took basic logic classes.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,09:58   

The Risible Kansan, same thread:

Interestingly, in an email conversation with Ken, I learned some rather interesting things about him and his faith walk. Though that will remain private.

Now THAT is creepy.

"I've done a bit of research and learned some rather interesting things about Ftk and her level of patriotism. Though that will remain private."

See?

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,10:03   

Quote (blipey @ April 13 2008,10:33)
Anonymous and Ftk share a LOGIC moment.

Ken Miller makes clear that athesim is rampant in the classrooms, and that was my experience and my kids.

"Over years of teaching and research in science, I have come to realize that a presumption of atheism or agnosticism ia universal in academic life." " It would be difficult to overstate how common this presumption of Godlessness is." Ken Miller, Finding Darwins God, page 19.

Oh, for pete's sake, that's not what that quote says at all.  Can you grasp English sentences?

Ken says the presumption of atheism in academics is rampant.  He is not saying that atheism is rampant but only that people believe it is.

Atheism may very well be rampant in academia, but this quote does not support that conclusion.  Your case would be helped immensely if you took basic logic classes.

Anonymous' comment has been expelled. Which, Ftk, is why I don't post on your board, as you have a habit of deleting or failing to post effective rejoinders for which you have no response, leaving the impression that your last word was indeed the last word.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,10:25   

She's one of the most intellectually dishonest out there.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,12:04   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ April 13 2008,09:58)

Interestingly, in an email conversation with Ken, I learned some rather interesting things about him and his faith walk. Though that will remain private.

Now THAT is creepy.

"I've done a bit of research and learned some rather interesting things about Ftk and her level of patriotism. Though that will remain private."

See?

"I've done a bit of research and learned some rather interesting things about Louis and his sexual proclivities. Though that will remain private."

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,12:25   

Quote (Annyday @ April 13 2008,13:04)

Now THAT is creepy.

See?

"I've done a bit of research and learned some rather interesting things about Louis and his sexual proclivities. Though that will remain private."

Please do not share your research methods with the class.

Thanks.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,13:21   

After saying (without evidence, per usual) that university professors spend their class time denigrating students for their religious beliefs, FtK was asked this turnabout-is-fair-play question by Oleg - "Were you there?"

Of course she hasn't been there, and if she was, she had her fingers firmly ensconced in her ears. But unswayed by logic or lack of evidence, she comes back with this (my emphasis)
No, honey, I said I have not been in their classrooms. I merely know what they are thinking as I read their thoughts every single day.

It's difficult to believe that people who are so adamently (sic) repulsed by design in nature don't work overtime to lead their students along the naturalist path.

I'm pretty sure that I don't know what FtK is thinking, and even more sure that she has no clue what I am thinking. Talk about your nauseating arrogance.

But let's follow this logic a bit further. We know that FtK abhors atheists and theistic evolutionists, based on reading of her blog comments and posts. So we can conclude, using her logic, that she "works overtime" denigrating those folks for their beliefs if she happens to encounter them in her workplace.

Hopefully this will give her a clue about how insulting her statements are. It's bad enough that she has no evidence backing up her fallacious statements about what Oleg or I do in our classrooms, but to leap from that lack of evidence to this gratuitous insult is simply breathtaking. And inane.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,13:43   

Quote (Lou FCD @ April 13 2008,18:25)
Quote (Annyday @ April 13 2008,13:04)

Now THAT is creepy.

See?

Please do not share your research methods with the class.

Thanks.

Luckily however, I CAN share the methods of Annyday's research. They involved:

a) A cup of tea.
b) Some light conversation.

Why what were you expecting? A rocket sled, fifteen litres of lube and several mildly vexed chinchillas? Sorry to disappoint you, but we were most civilised about it. Of course you just HAD to see what Annyday was wearing.

{photograph redacted to protect the (cough) innocent}

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,14:10   

Looky. Same thread. She deletes comments without reading them. Until she reads them here.

There is a more general problem with your thesis vis academics and atheism, Ftk. This may be a concept new to you: it's called "data." Example? Harvard Divinity School recently investigated the religiosity of American academics:

The study found that 23.4 percent of college and university professors describe themselves as either atheists or agnostics, with the remainder reporting some level of belief in God or another higher power. The authors also made a distinction between the general professoriate and those professors who teach at "elite doctoral institutions," as defined by the US News and World Report's list of the 50 best doctoral-awarding universities. In the latter category, 36.6 percent of respondents described themselves as atheists or agnostics....Psychology and biology tied for the lowest percentages of religious professors, with 61 percent of respondents in both fields describing themselves as atheists or agnostics.

Given those numbers, it strikes me as highly unlikely that, even in biology and psychology, a majority are atheists.

Data here (I've provided the link so Ftk can carefully avoid it.)

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,17:05   

More stuff that won't get read or posted because, "I have 0 respect for this particular individual so I often delete his posts without reading them."

You better run back to AtBC (you know, a place you can get DATA and FACTS) and read up some more on this topic.

It seems someone has actually done a study on this topic--and backed it up with DATA rather than OPINIONS.  An interesting tack that you should try out someday.

It seems that the majority of university professors are in fact theists of one sort or another.  Even in the most non-theistic groups, atheism is probably not a majority.

Any thoughts?

File 13'd

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,20:05   

The Risible Kansan:
Bill posted numbers in regard to all professors in our universities. My post was specifically in reference to professors that blog for Scienceblogs. Ask him if he's having trouble with reading comprehension.

Ftk here references her original post. But my quote of Harvard's numbers go to her much broader (and less defensible) statements found among the comments:
I've no doubt that there are plenty of professors in our universities that would love to see their students face the "facts"[sic] and let go of their ridiculous[sic] faith beliefs.

Though you have a point with this particular quote, Miller has often stated that most of his colleagues are atheists. I've heard the man lecture, and believe me, if you ask him he'll certainly state that this is, in fact, true.

These statements concern "plenty of professors in our universities" and "most of his colleagues," not Sciencebloggers specifically. Perhaps there is writing comprehension trouble here.  

So what has she asserted? After making something up about "plenty of professors," Ftk made something up for Ken Miller to say, then cited that as a way of asserting that most of his colleagues are atheists. Yet Harvard Divinity's numbers specifically address the religiosity of biologists, presumably the group designated by "Ken Miller's colleagues." From those numbers it is clear that even among the least religious of professors (biologists and psychologists), it is highly likely that only a minority self-identify as atheists. So I think these numbers are right on point.

BTW, Ftk, you're completely misusing "[sic]." It's used when you have quoted someone else, and their quote contains an error you wish to specifically indicate was present in the original text - so that it won't be attributed to a transcription error. It is not used as a form of post hoc scare-quote.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,20:52   

Link to Harvard study.

Ftk thinks I've twisted and projected above. But "it's just a quote," Ftk, "nothing more, nothing less." Your words, the very words that prompted me to bring this study to your attention - the very words to which the study is absolutely relevant. Take it or leave it.

[Edit] Vis how the questions were worded:
Respondents were asked to select the statement that comes closest to expressing their views about God. Only 10.0 percent chose the statement, “I don’t believe in God,” while 13.4 percent chose the statement, “I don’t know whether there is a God, and I don’t believe there is any way to find out.” About 23.4 percent of respondents to our survey, in other words, are either atheists or agnostics.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,21:18   

Hmmm.  We'll see if this goes through.  Ftk seems to think that a blog is an integral part of a course--even if not required reading.  I think I'll send her  dictionary for Christmas.

If it's not required, then your blog is as much a part of your course as the play I'm doing is a part of my class.

I'm an actor, I teach an acting class, I'm in a show.

So obviously, the play I do at night is a part of my course for the high school students during the day.

Ridiculous on its face...

PS--try to publish my comment BEFORE you erase it, causing you to rescue it from the scrap heap and type my name on the bottom of it

On an honest blog, the previous would appear just after this.

--------------

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: April 13 2008,21:39   

I very seriously doubt that Ken "Miller has often stated that most of his colleagues are atheists."  I would like to see ftk back that statement up with some evidence.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,06:50   

Quote (Jkrebs @ April 13 2008,21:39)
I very seriously doubt that Ken "Miller has often stated that most of his colleagues are atheists."  I would like to see ftk back that statement up with some evidence.

Don't hold your breath. Recall the reason she is restricted to the BW here - she couldn't/wouldn't back up some similar statements with factual evidence.

But, in her own words, she's *not dishonest*

I note that she has no response to my previous comment about how insulting her statements are to a large number of folks, and my attempt to help her understand it by putting that shoe on her foot. Here it is again, since she apparently missed it the first time.
But let's follow this logic a bit further. We know that FtK abhors atheists and theistic evolutionists, based on reading of her blog comments and posts. So we can conclude, using her logic, that she "works overtime" denigrating those folks for their beliefs if she happens to encounter them in her workplace.

Hopefully this will give her a clue about how insulting her statements are. It's bad enough that she has no evidence backing up her fallacious statements about what Oleg or I do in our classrooms, but to leap from that lack of evidence to this gratuitous insult is simply breathtaking. And inane.

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,08:34   

Is this like waiting for answers to your unanswered list of questions at AtBC.  We're not going to live that long.

I'm going to go with a zero percent chance that you're going to provide a link with actual evidence of current students involved with PZ's blog.

Please post this prediction so we can see who' right.  Without having to go to AtBC to see it anyway.  DO IT FOR THE LURKERS!

http://reasonablekansans.blogspot.com/2008....ah.html

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,08:51   

Ftk has (per usual) conflated several issues and assertions. These are:

- most Sciencebloggers equate science and atheism. (There are 70 such bloggers and I have no idea if this is true)
- most of Ken Miller's colleagues are atheists. (Certainly false, in light of the Harvard study)
- many professors are eager to disabuse their students of religious notions, and do so in the classroom. (No evidence whatsoever.)
- even a professor who does not bring such issues into the classroom should refrain from discussing them on their personal blogs. (Ftk's opinion).

And the evidence she has adduced for the above is:

- PZ Myers is abusive of anti-science religious fundamentalists on his blog. (Fair to say this is true.)

Ftk, can you provide evidence of the above without referring to PZ Myers?

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,08:51   

Quote (blipey @ April 14 2008,08:34)

Is this like waiting for answers to your unanswered list of questions at AtBC.  We're not going to live that long.

I'm going to go with a zero percent chance that you're going to provide a link with actual evidence of current students involved with PZ's blog.

Please post this prediction so we can see who' right.  Without having to go to AtBC to see it anyway.  DO IT FOR THE LURKERS!

Erm, PZ does let his students blog about subjects that they have heard about in his class. See here, or here for some examples.

Note that these are academic subjects; PZ is not asking them to blog about burning Christian babies or anything. I personally have no problem with that; the students get the feedback of various educated Pharyngulites, and it seems to be a valid use of internet technology as a teaching aid.

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,08:58   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ April 14 2008,09:51)
PZ is not asking them to blog about burning Christian babies

PZ's old shool.

They feed them to the octopi.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,09:16   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ April 14 2008,08:51)

Quote (blipey @ April 14 2008,08:34)

Erm, PZ does let his students blog about subjects that they have heard about in his class. See here, or here for some examples.

Note that these are academic subjects; PZ is not asking them to blog about burning Christian babies or anything. I personally have no problem with that; the students get the feedback of various educated Pharyngulites, and it seems to be a valid use of internet technology as a teaching aid.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea.  Look at the first student post at Pharyngula and think whether such an environment is conducive to learning.  

I don't think a personal blog should be an extension of the classroom.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,09:29   

Quote (olegt @ April 14 2008,09:16)
I'm not sure it's such a good idea.  Look at the first student post at Pharyngula and think whether such an environment is conducive to learning.  

I don't think a personal blog should be an extension of the classroom.

It's an experimental idea, so I would say that the jury is out. And yes, exposing students to some of the more bizarre denizens of PZ's blog may not be helpful (but it might still be educational). You could also use blogs that are set up specifically for your classes, but those won't have the intergalactic audience that Pharyngula has.

To be fair, comments on the later student posts (including the ones I linked to in my prior comment) seem to be less dogmatic/bombastic and more focused on the academic aspects.

I dunno if PZ will continue this experiment, or modify it, or discontinue it. it may be, as you say, a bad idea. But it is hardly a reason for Ftk to lump all sciencebloggers in with all scientists and all atheists and all the people who bug her so that she can insult them all at once...

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,09:47   

The strongest students survive in this environment.  Weaker ones might find themselves strongly discouraged by that kind of experience.

Apart from the purely pedagogical issues, there are ethical concerns.  First and foremost, Christian students won't find the environment particularly welcome on a blog whose owner wears his letter A on the sleeve.  Second, should a student's grade be based, even in part, on an extracurricular activity?  I don't think all of PZ's students participate on the blog.  That opens him to a charge of favoritism.

Some may disagree with me, but I think one needs to maintain a firewall between teaching and personal advocacy.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,09:57   

Quote (olegt @ April 14 2008,09:47)
The strongest students survive in this environment.  Weaker ones might find themselves strongly discouraged by that kind of experience.

Apart from the purely pedagogical issues, there are ethical concerns.  First and foremost, Christian students won't find the environment particularly welcome on a blog whose owner wears his letter A on the sleeve.  Second, should a student's grade be based, even in part, on an extracurricular activity?  I don't think all of PZ's students participate on the blog.  That opens him to a charge of favoritism.

Some may disagree with me, but I think one needs to maintain a firewall between teaching and personal advocacy.

PZ has stated several times that he does not care what his student's beliefs are.  He grades on "the usual - what they turn in, class participation, tests etc. - which is the way it should be.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,09:57   

Quote (olegt @ April 14 2008,09:47)

I don't disagree with you, Oleg, but I see the ethical issues to be somewhat less pressing than you do.

Here is the Pharyngula post where PZ introduces the topic. It seems that this is a small class (6 students) and all of them blogged (hence no favoritism). As for grades, I don't know if the blogging experience counted or how much of their grade it accounted for, but it seems also not to be an issue    
I still feel a little protective, though, so a few words of warning. The students had the option of posting under a pseudonym, and most have taken one. Please don't try to invade their privacy. Another important factor to take into account is that all these students have in common is that they're smart enough to be UMM upperclassmen and they are interested in neuroscience — do not assume that they share my political and religious views and jump on them as proxies for me. I don't even know what their political and religious views are. For all I know, it's a class full of devout Reaganites … and I don't care. They can even use this space to publicly disagree with me on something, and it won't hurt their grades.

Isn't it nice that we can disagree without calling each other fascists?  ;)

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,13:10   

I agree with albatrossity2 on general principle--if truly used in a purely academic way, I don't see much problem.  There is, of course, the opportunity for things to go wrong: favoritism, grades based on extracurricular activities, etc.  But, in and of itself, the idea doesn't bother me.

The point of my post, oh nauseatingly arrogant one, was that FTK wasn't going to post any links--failing to understand logical argument and all.  :D

--------------

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,13:48   

Quote (blipey @ April 14 2008,13:10)
I agree with albatrossity2 on general principle--if truly used in a purely academic way, I don't see much problem.  There is, of course, the opportunity for things to go wrong: favoritism, grades based on extracurricular activities, etc.  But, in and of itself, the idea doesn't bother me.

The point of my post, oh nauseatingly arrogant one, was that FTK wasn't going to post any links--failing to understand logical argument and all.  :D

Well, now she doesn't have to post any links or even deal with it further. An entire discussion, which might have been of some use to all three of her readers who don't read AtBC, went on over here, and without her.

However, she may have some trouble dealing with the fact that someone endowed with nauseating arrogance actually pointed out, on AtBC, that she was correct about a matter of facts. Hopefully she will forget about that soon, and get back to her standard mode and error rate, such as parroting crap from Crowther and attributing it to the DI's other turd-polisher, Casey Luskin.

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,16:43   

Ftk believes that bias of any kind means you can't do your job.  It's too bad that Ftk doesn't know what bias is.

Ftk,

You seriously believe that college is supposed to be a big, happy, agreement fest?

How sheltered would like students to be?

I had many professors who weren't white when I was in college.  The fact that they were Muslims (and I knew it) or black (and I was aware of it) or whatever....

All these things should give the exact same amount of bias that knowing that PZ is an atheist does.

I guess the answer is to close down all the universities.

--------------

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 14 2008,17:05   

Quote (blipey @ April 14 2008,16:43)
Ftk believes that bias of any kind means you can't do your job.  It's too bad that Ftk doesn't know what bias is.

Yes, and she still hasn't figured out a way to respond to my point about how her anti-atheist and anti-theistic evolutionist bias must be a daily problem for her in her "day jobs"

But she has shown that she can take advice, even from an evilutionist afflicted with nauseating arrogance. She changed her wording so she now attributes todays EN&V parrot post to the other shinola-shiner, Rob Crowther.

I guess one outta two is not a bad average...

--------------
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 15 2008,01:06   

Ftk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....rl=http

Thoughts? Better email Casey Luskin!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

10202 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < ... 231 232 233 234 235 [236] 237 238 239 240 241 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]