RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (32) < ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... >   
  Topic: Young Cosmos, A Salvador Cordova project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
IanBrown_101

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:09   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,17:51)
Ian:
On the other hand, do *I* endorse, condone or otherwise take as acceptable murder because I do not think there is an absolute morality. (I do not believe the universe has any opinion on murder, therefore it isn't wrong in an absolute sense, but due to human norms and certain cultural and evolutionary advantages it is (practically) universally considered immoral).

Those human norms in regard to murder also arose through evolution, otherwise absolutely nothing would have ever started to evolve in the first place.  Extremely simplistic example:  If all those early organisms ate each other because they were hungry, the earth would be unpopulated.  Morality is based on evolution for the atheist.  There is absolutely no way to get around that fact.  I have no clue why you people cannot acknowledge this.

Errr.....no.

Human norms come about for many different reasons, biological evolution is one thing that may well have contributed significantly. Alternatively, primitive human religion (and newer religions as well, if they were dominant in  a certain area) as well as government actions based upon individual opinions.

--------------
I'm not the fastest or the baddest or the fatest.

You NEVER seem to address the fact that the grand majority of people supporting Darwinism in these on line forums and blogs are atheists. That doesn't seem to bother you guys in the least. - FtK

Roddenberry is my God.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:12   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,09:51)
Ian:

On the other hand, do *I* endorse, condone or otherwise take as acceptable murder because I do not think there is an absolute morality. (I do not believe the universe has any opinion on murder, therefore it isn't wrong in an absolute sense, but due to human norms and certain cultural and evolutionary advantages it is (practically) universally considered immoral).

Those human norms in regard to murder also arose through evolution, otherwise absolutely nothing would have ever started to evolve in the first place.  Extremely simplistic example:  If all those early organisms ate each other because they were hungry, the earth would be unpopulated.  Morality is based on evolution for the atheist.  There is absolutely no way to get around that fact.  I have no clue why you people cannot acknowledge this.

It depends on what you mean by "based on evolution".

Animals are going to have to evolve to a certain level of sophistication before a society can emerge, and the evolution of those animals is through a "Darwinian" process.  Societies themselves will then evolve, but that process is not Darwinian.  Cultures do not develop in the same way as organisms - the modes of transmission and change of cultural phemomena do not follow a Mendelian pattern (it's more like Lamarckianism - there's no cultural equivalent of a genotype).  Also, societies do not form nested hierarchies - there is a tremendous amount of borrowing and overlap among social groups which developed separately.

So when we say that morals and taboos "evolved" we mean it in this cultural sense - there's a deeper genetic basis for things like not killing your parents or eating poo, but not for the panoply of moral codes which we see now.  Yes, they're "based on evolution", but not biological evolution.  Unless you're arguing that, because the members of the society evolved biologically, the society itself is based on biological evolution.  In a sense you would be right, but it's not very helpful.

Edit - fixed crappy spelling.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

IanBrown_101

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:14   

Quote (JohnW @ Jan. 03 2008,18:12)
It depends on what you mean by "based on evolution".

Animals are going to have to evolve to a certain level of sophistication before a society can emerge, and the evolution of those animals is through a "Darwinian" process.  Societies themselves will then evolve, but that process is not Darwinian.  Cultures do not develop in the same way as organisms - the modes of transmission and change of cultural phemomena do not follow a Mendelian pattern (it's more like Lamarckianism - there's no cultural equivalent of a genotype).  Also, societies do not form nested hierarchies - there is a treemendous amount of borrowing and overlap among social groups which developed separately.

So when we say that morals and taboos "evolved" we mean it in this cultural sense - there's a deeper genetic basis for things like not killing your parents or eating poo, but not for the panoply of moral codes which we see now.  Yes, they're "based on evolution", but not biological evolution.  Unless you're arguing that, because the members of the society evolved biologically, the society itself is based on biological evolution.  In a sense you would be right, but it's not very helpful.

Exactamundo! (Who let the Fonz in here?)

--------------
I'm not the fastest or the baddest or the fatest.

You NEVER seem to address the fact that the grand majority of people supporting Darwinism in these on line forums and blogs are atheists. That doesn't seem to bother you guys in the least. - FtK

Roddenberry is my God.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:20   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,13:08)
Well, in regard to evolving evolution, you're getting there.  Good job....keep thinking, obviously no one else who is posting is, although Ian's moving in that direction.

There are few things more pathetic and/or annoying than condescension from someone who is woefully, willfully ignorant on a topic.

One possible exception is condescension from someone who is demonstrably dishonest as well as woefully, willfully ignorant on a topic.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:27   

Quote (IanBrown_101 @ Jan. 03 2008,12:09)
Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,17:51)
Ian:

Errr.....no.

Human norms come about for many different reasons, biological evolution is one thing that may well have contributed significantly. Alternatively, primitive human religion (and newer religions as well, if they were dominant in  a certain area) as well as government actions based upon individual opinions.

Alternatively, primitive human religion (and newer religions as well, if they were dominant in  a certain area) as well as government actions based upon individual opinions.

Religion evolved as well.  Ask Dawkins.  PZ gave a speech in MN on the evolution of the mind a few months ago.  The mind evolved, and religious thought evolved along with it.  There is no other way it could have come about.  As our brain, mind, and thoughts evolved thoughout time, alone with those evolving thought came our religious ideals.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:34   

Unless you're arguing that, because the members of the society evolved biologically, the society itself is based on biological evolution.  In a sense you would be right, but it's not very helpful.

It may not be "helpful" to your argument, but it is precisely correct.  You're starting from the present and working yourself back in time while considering all the modes of thought we acknowledge today that have evolved in regard to morality.  I'm work from past to present and considering how morality evolved from that first living molecule.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:35   

Religion evolved as well.  Ask Dawkins.  PZ gave a speech in MN on the evolution of the mind a few months ago.  The mind evolved, and religious thought evolved along with it.  There is no other way it could have come about.

Whereas soccer moms with high school educations know that God gifted the world with fundamentalist Protestantism 6,000 years ago when the world began. I don't know why you people refuse to acknowledge this.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:36   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Jan. 03 2008,13:35)
Religion evolved as well.  Ask Dawkins.  PZ gave a speech in MN on the evolution of the mind a few months ago.  The mind evolved, and religious thought evolved along with it.  There is no other way it could have come about.

Whereas soccer moms with high school educations know that God gifted the world with fundamentalist Protestantism 6,000 years ago when the world began. I don't know why you people refuse to acknowledge this.

'cuz we're mad at God.

Duh.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:38   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Jan. 03 2008,12:20)
Well, in regard to evolving evolution, you're getting there.  Good job....keep thinking, obviously no one else who is posting is, although Ian's moving in that direction.

There are few things more pathetic and/or annoying than condescension from someone who is woefully, willfully ignorant on a topic.

One possible exception is condescension from someone who is demonstrably dishonest as well as woefully, willfully ignorant on a topic.

Lou,

You tell me where I'm wrong instead of merely stating that I'm ignorant.  I am open to rethinking my position on this issue, but I have not seen an argument yet that suggests that I'm off base.  

I am saying emphatically that, from an atheist perspective, our morality evolved along with everything else on planet earth.  From a *true* atheist perspective (very few people are true atheists, IMHO), there was no source of intelligence from which this evolving process took root.

--------------

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:39   

As far as the Sal deal.  You give me a term to use in regard to how Skatje and PZ views the issue.  Replace the word "condone".  I have explained, in detail, exactly what I mean in regard to that word both here and at PZ's place.  I DID use the word innocently and it is the best option, IMHO.  She does not "advocate" the act, she does not "condemn" the act....she "condones" it.  I can't think of a better one word definition, so give me one.  

Tolerates.

Or better yet:
disregard, excuse, forgive, overlook, pardon.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:42   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,12:38)

Quote (Lou FCD @ Jan. 03 2008,12:20)

Lou,

You tell me where I'm wrong instead of merely stating that I'm ignorant.

Good idea. Explaining the latter would take too long.

I am open to rethinking my position on this issue, but I have not seen an argument yet that suggests that I'm off base.  

I am saying emphatically that, from an atheist perspective, our morality evolved along with everything else on planet earth.  From a *true* atheist perspective (very few people are true atheists, IMHO),

Then why do atheists upset you so, if there's so few of them?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:43   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,12:08)

Oh, I'll "keep thinking", hon. My latest speculations are now running as to why evolution might have ingrained me with the idea that unprovoked patronization violates my evolved sense of fair play in honest dialogue.

As far as the Sal deal.  You give me a term to use in regard to how Skatje and PZ views the issue.  Replace the word "condone".  I have explained, in detail, exactly what I mean in regard to that word both here and at PZ's place.  I DID use the word innocently and it is the best option, IMHO.  She does not "advocate" the act, she does not "condemn" the act....she "condones" it.  I can't think of a better one word definition, so give me one.

I already gave you a whole paragraph. In the interest of brevity, perhaps the contained phrase "refuses to condemn as intrinsically immoral" might be of service? Beyond that, why be lazy? You want people to know exactly what you mean -- no more, no less -- right?

As far as this:

(a) "Noted atheist PZ Myers has stated that he reluctantly forgives and overlooks sexual activities between humans and animals, provided that neither is harmed in the process. While Myers would never consider engaging in the acts himself as a matter of his own personal conduct, he refuses to condemn the act as intrinsically immoral."

or

(b) "PZ's a pig-fucker!" (Or some pseudo-polite rectum-esque variant, after Sal's style.)

Be honest, FtK.

You're above paragraph is fine, except you'd have to take out the word reluctantly.  Skatje did not appear "reluctant" about condoning the act of people having relationships with their pets.  She merely didn't find it compelling *herself*.  She made arguments *for* it.

My dictionary includes "esp. reluctantly" as a note regarding proper diction for 'condone'. You say Skatje does not appear "reluctant". And yet, you also note that she doesn't find it to be an especially compelling behaviour to engage in herself, nor, I would argue, to advocate (given the obvious disclaimers she has placed in her communications from the get-go). Easy question: do you think that she might be reluctant, not only to engage in bestiality, but to advocate it? If your answer is yes, then "reluctantly" is a fair inclusion, not to mention only apt when paraphrasing the proper meaning of 'condone'. If your answer is no, and you actually contend that she is "advocating" bestiality sans reluctance, well . . . where were we on that quote-mining thing? For some strange reason I'm getting a bit dizzy here.

Sal didn't say "PZ's a pig-fucker"!  He made a joke, in bad taste, that I have condemned no less that at least 5 or 6 times now.  Please accept my condemnation and move on.  I don't know how else I can phrase it.

After all this, you must see that despite paying lip service to condemnation, you have been condoning Sal's ridiculous behaviour all along. You know what? You might want to go look up that word 'condone' in the dictionary, because it has a very specific, subtle meaning and I don't know how else I can phrase it.

'Round and 'round and 'round we go . . . where she stops, nobody knows.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:46   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,10:34)
Unless you're arguing that, because the members of the society evolved biologically, the society itself is based on biological evolution.  In a sense you would be right, but it's not very helpful.

It may not be "helpful" to your argument, but it is precisely correct.  You're starting from the present and working yourself back in time while considering all the modes of thought we acknowledge today that have evolved in regard to morality.  I'm work from past to present and considering how morality evolved from that first living molecule.

Oh for crying out loud.

Please go back and read my entire post.  CULTURAL EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK LIKE BIOLOGICAL EVOLUTION.  Yes, the organisms which have the culture went throgh a process of biological evolution, but the culture itself did not.  "Society is based on biological evolution" is not helpful because it tells us very little about that society.  We don't expect to see the precursors of culture in the first living cells.  

If you're going to be absurd, why not take it back to the atomic level, and claim that society is based on supernovae?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:49   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,13:38)
I am open to rethinking my position on this issue

I believe the evidence would strongly suggest otherwise.

ETA: Thus rational discourse is quite useless and unfruitful.  I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a rusty spoon than go through the circles upon circles of this "conversation" with you as others have so patiently done.

Edited by Lou FCD on Jan. 03 2008,13:51

--------------

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,12:57   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,12:27)
Religion evolved as well.  Ask Dawkins.  PZ gave a speech in MN on the evolution of the mind a few months ago.  The mind evolved, and religious thought evolved along with it.  There is no other way it could have come about.  As our brain, mind, and thoughts evolved thoughout time, alone with those evolving thought came our religious ideals.

Sounds so simple -- religion just 'evolved' along with 'mind'. I'm glad that, as an atheist, I have such a simple, obvious philosophy. Quick question, though, while you're letting me know what I must think about the evolution of religion (never mind the mind): did it evolve as part of the mind? As a side-effect of the mind? As a parasite of the mind? As part of something other than the mind? As a side effect of something other than the mind? As a parasite of something other than the mind? While there may be "no other way it could have come about", I think we might have our hands full here for the time being.

But it is a good question, and the answer might have rather important implications, don't you think? I'm glad you're asking it. Oh wait -- you're not. You already have a different answer. I'll just ask Dawkins or PZ or Dennett or a number of others who have reconsidered it in the past millennium or so. They don't have answers yet, true, but at least they have some interesting, conflicting and compelling ideas.

Edited: clarity/typos

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:04   

IF RELIGION EVOLVED, WHY ARE THEIR STILL JEWS????!!!ONE?

--------------
CBEB's: The Church Burnin' Ebola Blog
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:10   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,13:34)

By this logic, baseball, chess, the sonata form in 18th century music, written language, the jitterbug, and all recipes for pound cake also arose by means of biological evolution.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:11   

Quote (Mister DNA @ Jan. 03 2008,13:04)

To build the Third Temple and kick off that whole end-times / Rapture dealio.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:15   

Or, for that matter, still Christians? (from the Islamic perspective)

Matter of fact, shouldn't we all be Scientologists by now?

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:19   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Jan. 03 2008,13:15)

Actually, I think we are just a transitional form.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:20   

I already gave you a whole paragraph. In the interest of brevity, perhaps the contained phrase "refuses to condemn as intrinsically immoral" might be of service? Beyond that, why be lazy? You want people to know exactly what you mean -- no more, no less -- right?

Oh, my loving God!  Lazy?  You simply cannot be serious.  I have spent *two days* explaining *in agonizing detail* exactly what I meant by the word "condone".  My definition of condone was right on target.  Skatje didn't "refuse to condemn zoophilia as intrinsically immoral".  That is not at all what she said.  She said it was not for her, but that it can be a "meaningful" relationship for others.  There was no "refuses to condemn" about it.  

Now, you tell me.....If Sal had written that zoophilia post, how would you have taken it?  Do you truly believe that the Sal haters here would not have taken that post and gone absolutely hog wild with it?  I believe I was *very* tame and relayed everything exactly as she said it.  No cracking jokes, no name calling, no ridicule.  I provided the facts and that is all.

--------------

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:23   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Jan. 03 2008,13:15)

Hmmm... what's L. Ron's policy on bestiality? As a Darwinist, that's a big selling point, you know.

--------------
CBEB's: The Church Burnin' Ebola Blog
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:30   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 03 2008,11:10)
Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,13:34)

By this logic, baseball, chess, the sonata form in 18th century music, written language, the jitterbug, and all recipes for pound cake also arose by means of biological evolution.

Indeed.  I look forward to FTK's hypotheses regarding which combinations of alleles are responsible for the design of traffic signals, Elvin Jones' drum solo in A Love Supreme, or the FA thinking Steve McLaren was competent to manage England.  Perhaps she thinks this is what scientists do all day.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:32   

Quote (argystokes @ Jan. 03 2008,12:39)

Tolerates.

Or better yet:
disregard, excuse, forgive, overlook, pardon.

No she more than "tolerates" it.  She believes it can be meaningful.  

As for these:
excuse, forgive, overlook, pardon

That is exactly what condone means.  I have yet to be provided with another definition of "condone".

When googling, condone is always defined in the way that I used it:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/condone

http://www.answers.com/topic/condone

http://www.allwords.com/word-condoned.html

http://www.legal-explanations.com/definitions/condone.htm

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/condone

I have no idea what the problem is with the usage of that word.

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:39   

If anyone has unused irony-meter jokes in their desk drawers, Pirahna Lady lecturing us on linguistic precision is the best opportunity you'll have in weeks.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:39   

Oh, this is classic....over at PZ someone writes:

Pharyngula allows dissent - perhaps not on matters of the slander and trolling of the 17 year-old daughter of its author, but it allows dissent.

And, of course, the truth is not allowed.  I did not "troll" Skatje's blog.  She came to *MY* blog, commented on *my* sense of morality, and then shared her own.   And, I didn't "slander" her....I used her exact words and her exact post and linked directly to it.  

Hello out there PZ lurking fans.  PZ's daughter came to ***MY**** blog to share her views, not the other way around.

--------------

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:40   

Geez, I spend all morning at the dentists office and come back to find that this merry-go-round has cycled through two more pages and gotten, predictably, nowhere.

Dental work is at least productive!

But I see that no one has tackled this one, so I'll jump back on.  
Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,13:20)
Now, you tell me.....If Sal had written that zoophilia post, how would you have taken it?  Do you truly believe that the Sal haters here would not have taken that post and gone absolutely hog wild with it?

If I saw that zoophilia post with Sal's name attached, i would have wondered how he can afford a ghost writer on a grad student stipend. It did not contain any pejoratives like darwinism, materialist, or other hallmarks of his chronic drooling wit. It was reasonably well-written, and precise. Clearly all of us would have immediately accused Sal of plagiarizing it, and gone off on a vast googling to find the source.

Does that help?

And now, how about those "facts" re Walt Brown's peer reviewers, while we're into answering each other's questions?

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:40   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,12:38)
You tell me where I'm wrong instead of merely stating that I'm ignorant.  I am open to rethinking my position on this issue, but I have not seen an argument yet that suggests that I'm off base.

Er, on a different issue perhaps but I've shown you where you were promoting something that is demonstrably wrong.

You did not rethink your position, you ignored it. You could have argued your position. You did not.

You may not have seen the argument, it does not mean it was not there.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:42   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 03 2008,13:39)
Oh, this is classic....over at PZ someone writes:

Pharyngula allows dissent - perhaps not on matters of the slander and trolling of the 17 year-old daughter of its author, but it allows dissent.

And, of course, the truth is not allowed.  I did not "troll" Skatje's blog.  She came to *MY* blog, commented on *my* sense of morality, and then shared her own.   And, I didn't "slander" her....I used her exact words and her exact post and linked directly to it.  

Hello out there PZ lurking fans.  PZ's daughter came to ***MY**** blog to share her views, not the other way around.

Did PZ's daughter also post a picture of a pig-as-husband next to a byline naming you? Just wondering  :p

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2008,13:46   

AND ANOTHER:

[quote]FTK, you're really going to defend the man who trolled the journal of a 17 year old girl because he disagrees with her father? [quote]

Absolutely incorrect.  Skatje visited *my* blog, voiced her opinion on *my* morals, then wrote an extended post on her views.  Sal only commented on it after I posted about it at HIS blog 3 months after she wrote it.

--------------

948 replies since July 31 2007,08:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (32) < ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]