RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 602 603 604 605 606 [607] 608 609 610 611 612 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,16:22   

Forthekids is a tard    
There was a time when I?d watch Bill boot people out of here and I?d think?hmmm, that doesn?t quite seem fair.

But, after being in this debate for a few years, I better understand the mind set of the opposition, and their repeated rhetoric that has been addressed ad naseum becomes nearly maddening. So when I see these little one liners:

?Rocket is no longer with us. -WmAD??

I actually feel like applauding because justice is being served?go get?em, Bill!

Well, I guess when the IDiots actually posit some new answers (preferably ones that make sense, at least), the questions will move on, won't they?  What part of "Goddunit is not a valid scientific hypothesis" are they not getting?

That woman has serious denial issues.  Do they have a surgery for removing fingers from ears?  (or heads from butts, for that matter?)

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,16:47   

Triumvitard!

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-133778

ultimate175

08/23/2007

4:28 pm
Has anyone been to the Expelled blog to check the comments on Ben?s first entry.

Yikes. What an ignorant mess.

scordova

08/23/2007

4:40 pm
Has anyone been to the Expelled blog to check the comments on Ben?s first entry.

Yikes. What an ignorant mess.

Actually, that?s empirical evidence supporting the attitudes Stein reports on in the movie.

ultimate175

08/23/2007

4:42 pm
Agreed. It still shocks me how confidently (and arrogantly/vitriolically/derisively) many people speak on this issue while simultaneously being very uninformed.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,17:13   

ultimate175 would appear to be of the FTK school of thought, whereby if you sound 'mean', that proves you're wrong.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,17:37   

Jehu shoots! He scores! (on the Crackpot Index anyway)

The ape skull story is an excellent example of Jehu?s Law, which is that new discoveries will always push evolutionary events further back in time. For example, if you google ?evolved? and the phrase ?earlier than expected? you will get over 40,000 hits.

Linky

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,17:44   

What's that smell in the big tent? Eyes turn disaprovingly to Joseph:

ID is OK with universal common descent and Creation is not. Hopefully that will be made clear in the movie.

I wonder if it occured to Joseph that he's commenting on a blog called "Uncommon Descent"?

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,18:21   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Aug. 23 2007,17:37)

The ape skull story is an excellent example of Jehu?s Law, which is that new discoveries will always push evolutionary events further back in time. For example, if you google ?evolved? and the phrase ?earlier than expected? you will get over 40,000 hits.

Linky

I found a dog skull a while back, but my paradigm-shifting paper on the "later-than-expected" evolution of canid characters (within the past twenty years, no less!) has been rejected by all the major journals. Incorygible's Postulate, a corollary of Jehu's Law, states that the entrenched academic establishment (to say nothing of the media!) is prejudicial and discriminatory against any such evidence for more recent evolution.

Of course, this is referring only to Jehu's First Law. Jehu's Second Law, equally important and informative, states that Olympic Record times (e.g., the 100-metre dash) will tend to decrease, whereas Guinness Records (e.g., # bees on face) will tend to increase with time.

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,19:43   

I wanted someone to smackdown BarryA, and Jack Krebs does not disappoint.  

Here's a lot of it, in case DaveScotSpringer respects it out of existence:
I think the reason Barry is enamored of Nietzsche is that Nietzsche represents the far end of a spectrum of materialistic thought, and Barry, being both a staunch anti-materialist and one who appears to see things more in black-and-white than grey, wants Nietzsche to be the representative of materialism so he can stand firmly against it.

But I don?t accept that. People have a right to think for themselves, and there is no inviolable logic that leads one from believing in a strictly material world to the ideas of Nietzsche. However, Barry doesn?t seem able to consider these other views, dismissing them as cowardly, and dismissing any positive emotions such as love and compassion as ?warmed over sentimentality.?

Given that the topic that actually drew me into this conversation was the statement that theists have an inherent respect for others and materialists have nothing but pragmatic grounds for offering such, I have to say that Barry?s lack of respect for the beliefs of the many people who hold materialist but non-Nietzschian ideas doesn?t bode well for any further constructive conversation.

I?d also like to say that Barry does not know what is in ?my heart of hearts,? and that once again it is a considerable sign of disrespect for him to think he does.

Beautiful.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,20:04   

Re "Jehu's Second Law, equally important and informative, states that Olympic Record times (e.g., the 100-metre dash) will tend to decrease, whereas Guinness Records (e.g., # bees on face) will tend to increase with time."

Is there a law that the number of known chemical elements can only increase if it changes?

Well, maybe not - there was that time (about 7 or 8 years ago?) that it went down by 1.

Henry

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,20:09   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Aug. 23 2007,17:37)

Linky

Heh. Speaking of crackpots, I liked this comment from a couple of days ago on the PZ Myers-getting-sued thread:    
If everyone who has been called a crackpot (which probably includes every one of us at one time or another, no doubt!) sued then the courts would be tied up till kingdom come.
(my emphasis)
Tyke is presumably speaking on behalf of everyone over at UD! Or, just possibly s/he is having a good laugh him/herself.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

franky172

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,20:49   

Oh dear god.

That's right, folks.  Poor people shouldn't covet.  

\Wanting shiny things?  That's a coveting.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,22:05   

Following on from Franky172, 'oh dear god' is right
StephenB, 08/23/2007, 9:27 pm

Question: Why will moral relativism make you stupid? Answer: Because if you believe there is no such thing as truth, you don't exercise your brain to bridge the gap between where you are (non-truth) and where you ought to be (truth). That is why doing evolution is a lot easier than doing intelligent design. You are too much in the habit of believing that truth is whatever you want.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,22:21   

Bwahahahahahhah

Ftk gives Sal a hj link

?

Forthekids

08/23/2007

4:26 pm

Sal,
?And after running your own blog for a few weeks with Darwinists relentlessly spamming, one gets a whole new perspective.?

LOL?NO KIDDING. After blogging for a whole year now, I?ve completely shut down and I?m regrouping. I?m not allowing repetitive rhetoric in any more - I?m going into the DaveScot moderation mode. I don?t have time for the crap. I?m working on a FAQs site that I?ll send repetative questioners to and to heck with the rest of their worthless banter.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,23:14   

Dembski hasn't read Popper:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/culture....omments

Had they read and understood Popper, they would realize that they are the enemies to which he was referring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Popper

In The Open Society and Its Enemies and The Poverty of Historicism, Popper developed a critique of historicism and a defence of the 'Open Society' and liberal democracy. Historicism is the theory that history develops inexorably and necessarily according to knowable general laws towards a determinate end. Popper argued that this view is the principal theoretical presupposition underpinning most forms of authoritarianism and totalitarianism. He argued that historicism is founded upon mistaken assumptions regarding the nature of scientific law and prediction. Since the growth of human knowledge is a causal factor in the evolution of human history, and since "no society can predict, scientifically, its own future states of knowledge", it follows, he argued, that there can be no predictive science of human history. For Popper, metaphysical and historical indeterminism go hand in hand.

He means you tards, with your 2000 year old book of 'fact" you'd like to push on everyone.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2007,23:59   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Aug. 23 2007,17:22)
Forthekids is a tard ? ?  
There was a time when I?d watch Bill boot people out of here and I?d think?hmmm, that doesn?t quite seem fair.

But, after being in this debate for a few years, I better understand the mind set of the opposition, and their repeated rhetoric that has been addressed ad naseum becomes nearly maddening. So when I see these little one liners:

?Rocket is no longer with us. -WmAD??

I actually feel like applauding because justice is being served?go get?em, Bill!

(Checking in from Florida.)

We find uneducated and uneducable (and like Salvador, simply dishonest) creationists to be maddening too. But we employ coping mechanisms. We show our opponents are wrong. We don't delete them and then hide our blog.

This FTK hiding her blog business has me wondering. Maybe PCID really isn't a defunct failure. Maybe it's publishing loads of great new research...  in secret!

Just kidding. It is a complete failure.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,00:09   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Aug. 23 2007,18:37)

http://www.google.com/search?....+Search

"Results 1 - 10 of about 2,090,000 for cat vomit. (0.04 seconds)"

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,00:12   

People being 52 times more interested in cat vomit than Jehu's Law is about right, I think.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,00:24   

Quote (J-Dog @ Aug. 23 2007,15:46)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 23 2007,13:39)
Post 100, can any of you guys top that? ?:p

Blow your own trumpet!

I did![/quote]
Ah! ?That was vintage posting at its finest! ?Once I started, I couldn't stop, and had to read the entrire thread again.

Excellent. ?For posterity's sake, it should be stored in a Time Capsule at World Darwinist Headquarters. ?

I for one, would like to see the CAPTAIN Of CAPS come out of Retirement, and re-float the Mobile Command Center.

What about it Steve? ?Can we turn the Tardmeister loose again?

I never prohibited anyone from the fake creationist posts. I just personally thought it was a joke that had run dry long ago, like the last 30 minutes of Night at the Roxbury.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,00:29   

Quote (N.Wells @ Aug. 23 2007,23:05)
Following on from Franky172, 'oh dear god' is right

StephenB, 08/23/2007, 9:27 pm
That is why doing evolution is a lot easier than doing intelligent design

It depends on how you define 'doing ID'. If you define it as 'not publishing any papers', doing ID is pretty easy. If you define it as 'trying to get away with obvious lies in Federal court', well, publishing evolution papers is probably easier.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,06:03   

Dembski:

Had they read and understood Popper, they would realize that they are the enemies to which he was referring.

Who did Dembski get this opinion about Popper from? We know that Dembski doesn't understand Popper.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

djmullen

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,06:19   

Denise reveals the truth: ?
Laboratory research confirms telepathy as a low level effect, and has done so for decades.
Proof:CSICOP changed their name to CSI.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,08:01   

Easy there, big fella. Dave opens the door a bit here.    
Asking who did the design is not a scientific question, but a philosophical and/or theological question.

Not for me. It?s a matter of not having enough data to make any reasonable inferences. Design can be reasonably inferred from the properties of the designed object. Minimal capabilities of the designer can be inferred from the properties of the designed object. If the object can be dated then a temporal inference can be made. It?s the temporal inference that stymies identifying any purported designer in regard to living things as the designed objects under consideration predate the only known instance of intelligent agency.

Perhaps he and Sal can get together with FtK and confer about that exact date, so we can make some sort of temporal inference. I suspect that they have a number already in mind...

But we all would really be interested if they could get around to inferring the "minimal capabilities of the designer from the properties of the designed object". They could start with the human spinal column...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
- Pattiann Rogers

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,08:38   

Quote (stevestory @ Aug. 24 2007,00:24)
I never prohibited anyone from the fake creationist posts. I just personally thought it was a joke that had run dry long ago, like the last 30 minutes of Night at the Roxbury.

WHAT A SEGUE!

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,08:57   

That page now looks like a shitstorm in tardland.  Nice post though, DaveScot.  That nailed it home for me.  I haz desine now.  Prays Jesus.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell.Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,10:11   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 24 2007,08:38)
Quote (stevestory @ Aug. 24 2007,00:24)

WHAT A SEGUE!

Richard - Good to see you hve the Sgt DaveScot Springer channelling back - and the jebus-hating materialist darwinistas say their is NO ESP!!! YOU PROVED THEM WRONG AGIN!

Too bad YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY IS BROKEN THOUGH, cuz
most of us God-Fearing Creo's and IDC Tardists like to HAVE to CAPITALIZE to emphasize EXTRA GOOD.

EXCLAMATION POINTS ARE ALWAYS GOOD TWO!!!!!!!

Semper Fi

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

IanBrown_101

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,10:12   

Quote (k.e @ Aug. 23 2007,22:21)
Bwahahahahahhah

Ftk gives Sal a hj link

?  

Forthekids

08/23/2007

Sal,
?And after running your own blog for a few weeks with Darwinists relentlessly spamming, one gets a whole new perspective.?

LOL?NO KIDDING. After blogging for a whole year now, I?ve completely shut down and I?m regrouping. I?m not allowing repetitive rhetoric in any more - I?m going into the DaveScot moderation mode. I don?t have time for the crap. I?m working on a FAQs site that I?ll send repetative questioners to and to heck with the rest of their worthless banter.

I wonder what FAQ's she'll include?

"Why won't you answer any questions?"

"Why do you insist there is no 'big science' conspiricy, and yet claim that Walt Brown wouldn't be allowed to publish?"

"If you have no problem with atheists, why do you semi-constantly bitch about them?"

--------------
I'm not the fastest or the baddest or the fatest.

You NEVER seem to address the fact that the grand majority of people supporting Darwinism in these on line forums and blogs are atheists. That doesn't seem to bother you guys in the least. - FtK

Roddenberry is my God.

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,11:08   

Quote (IanBrown_101 @ Aug. 24 2007,10:12)
Bwahahahahahhah

Ftk gives Sal a hj link

?  

Forthekids

08/23/2007

Sal,

"Why do you insist there is no 'big science' conspiricy, and yet claim that Walt Brown wouldn't be allowed to publish?"

"If you have no problem with atheists, why do you semi-constantly bitch about them?"

Regardless of the questions, there will be only two answers:

1) I've addressed that a million times already.
2) Let me look into it and I'll get back to you. I have a life, you know.

--------------
Evolution is not about laws but about randomness on happanchance.--Robert Byers, at PT

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,11:15   

Quote (Jim_Wynne @ Aug. 24 2007,11:08)

?
Bwahahahahahhah

Ftk gives Sal a hj link

? ? ?  

Forthekids

08/23/2007

? ? ?

Sal,

Tut tut tut.

You're forgetting the classic:

3) I don't have to answer your questions!

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,11:31   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 24 2007,19:15)
Quote (Jim_Wynne @ Aug. 24 2007,11:08)
?
?  
Bwahahahahahhah

Ftk gives Sal a hj link

? ? ? ?

Forthekids

08/23/2007

? ? ?  

Sal,

Tut tut tut.

You're forgetting the classic:

3) I don't have to answer your questions!

Pffffft

You are all forgetting.

9. You are endlessly repeating teh same things over and over. Eat my piranha; I'm ignoring you, again.

10. Sal agrees with me so that makes my impurity less disgusting.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

IanBrown_101

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,11:34   

4) Go read Walt Brown's book. It's really interesting.

--------------
I'm not the fastest or the baddest or the fatest.

You NEVER seem to address the fact that the grand majority of people supporting Darwinism in these on line forums and blogs are atheists. That doesn't seem to bother you guys in the least. - FtK

Roddenberry is my God.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 24 2007,11:39   

FtK:

repeated rhetoric that has been addressed ad naseum becomes nearly maddening.

[...]

I actually feel like applauding because justice is being served

If that were a consistent stance, she would have been applauding how her own case was treated here.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 602 603 604 605 606 [607] 608 609 610 611 612 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]