RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (10) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] >   
  Topic: Thread for Christopher Gieschen, Fossil Record Invalid?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,16:15   

How is this possible?  How is this possible?  

Hey!  What do you know?  I just increased the information content of my question using duplication!
I hope you can see that duplication does no good in having a genome gain info to code for novel structures.

Do you understand what is being claimed when we point to gene duplication and subsequent divergence as a trivially easy refutation of this "mutations degrade information" nonsense?
'Cause it's real simple.

1. Genes are stretches of the genome that code for proteins.
2. Proteins are essential for the operation of an organism, and there are a lot more ways to code for a not-protein than a protein, which are specific amino acids, in sequence, that also have to fold up right.
3. By 1. and 2., we can see why coding sequences are conserved by selection. Most mutations that change the sequence of amino acids will be deletrious and will not be passed on.

4. Sometimes, a mutation causes a gene to be duplicated.
5. After duplication, there are two copies of a sequence that codes for a protein.
6. If one diverges due to further mutation, 3. above no longer applies, because there's still a working copy, churning out the correct protein.
7. The duplicate sequence is free to drift. It is no longer conserved. It is essentially invisible to selection.
8. If it randomly happens on a new coding function, a novel gene is the result.

New Information, Christopher. In 8 easy steps. What have you been telling your students?

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,16:21   

Quote (C Gieschen @ Oct. 25 2007,16:21)
What I disagree with Dawkins is the role of duplication in gaining information.  How is this possible?  How is this possible?

I show this possible.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,16:49   

That's awesome.

*golf clap*

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

Steverino

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,17:31   

CG,

"I again posit that everyone filters facts through his/her own presuppositions and worldview. "

That's just bullshit.  You are trying to conflate skepticism with religious bias.  You cannot compare the two.

The more I read of what you write, the more I am convinced you are, at the heart of it, a disingenuous person.  You lie about your motives and wanting to look at and learn  ACTUAL science.  You have no desire to learn, you just need to convince yourself what you believe is not bullshit.

Pathetic.

Again, you are a troll.  You can go back and report to your Pastor that "you held your ground".

--------------
- Born right the first time.
- Asking questions is NOT the same as providing answers.
- It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up!

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,17:39   

Christopher,

animals also make polyploid species.  Since you are quite obviously determined to be dense, I'll let you look up examples.  Needless to say, your dusty old book has failed you again.

If you don't know by now about horizontal transfer of genetic material by both prokaryotes and eukaryotes, why even bother trying to educate someone who has determined that they are going to be stupid?  

There is quite a bit of OBSERVED (not inferred) evidence for this sort of thing.  Again, you'll never hear about it from AIG or ICR or any of the other lying shamans you bow to.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Richard Simons

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,18:03   

If you really do not know the significance of chromosome duplication as regards the potential for increasing the 'information' (however you choose to define that) in an organism, you should not be teaching biology. Take a sabbatical year, go back to college and take some courses in biology because you have some major holes in your understanding.

--------------
All sweeping statements are wrong.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,18:18   

Quote (C Gieschen @ Oct. 23 2007,11:58)
As for claiming that AIG will not deal with you realistically, then I invite you to give them your best shot and tell them I sent you.  Perhaps you'll be printed in the skeptics letters section.  I caution you to fully research the site and list specific scientific errors or illogical thinking and back them up.  Be concise as you can.

Here is a snippet of an exchange I had/am still having with a YEC on another forum. I assure you it is much worse if you read the whole thing. In no way am I taking this out of context but you can read the whole thing Here if you want confirmation.

Quote (Fundy @ typical,delusion)
Dr. Don Batten, [snip for appeal to authority], has written ...    
Claimed older tree ring chronologies depend on the cross-matching of tree ring patterns of pieces of dead wood found near living trees. This procedure depends on temporal placement of fragments of wood using carbon-14 (14C) dating, assuming straight-line extrapolation backwards of the carbon dating. Having placed the fragment of wood approximately using the 14C data, a matching tree-ring pattern is sought with wood that has a part with overlapping 14C age and that also extends to a younger age. A tree ring pattern that matches is found close to where the carbon ‘dates’ are the same. And so the tree-ring sequence is extended from the living trees backwards.

Now superficially this sounds fairly reasonable. However, it is a circular process.

[URL=http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/2441
and he goes on to explain why he thinks it is a circular process.
Why is that Dave? Do you agree with what he says? Specifically equivocating  pinus radiata with pinus  longaeva because tiger and lions can produce offspring? Dang I'm just going to get a beer ready for when you bring that one up. Just so you know, the reason Bristlecones are good for 14C calibration is the environment they live in:

Ferguson, C.W. 1969. A 7104-year annual tree-ring chronology for bristlecone pine, Pinus aristata, from the White Mountains, California. Tree-Ring Bulletin 29(3-4):3-29.
Link here

and:
Quote (me @ night,drunk)
3. Creationists are using fallacies, untruths and rhetorical games to confuse the issue and convince vulnerable people not to investigate the matter.
The artist sometimes known as Woodmorrappe in this editorial points out that
Trees absorb whatever carbon dioxide gas is within their vicinity. In the absence of other sources, the only source of CO2 is the atmosphere. But what other source could there possibly be? One source is volcanogenic gases. And, since deep subterranean carbon usually had no prior contact with the atmosphere, it has zero 14C and therefore an infinite carbon-14 age. Now, consider a tree that imbibes half of its CO2 from the air and the remaining half from local volcanogenic gases. Its concentration of 14C at time of death is only half that of the ambient atmosphere, and hence it dies having a ‘built-in’ carbon-14 age of 5,700 years (one half-life).

Tuscany, Italy, is probably the first place where ‘inherited’ carbon-14 dates on wood were described.6 These dates, much too old to be attributed to any past civilization in Italy, were determined from timbers located several kilometers from a volcano. Since that report, other examples of this phenomenon have surfaced from all over the world.7 A recent, detailed study8 has shed further light on the dynamics of this process. Particularly interesting is the fact that these ‘bad’ carbon-14 dates do not occur haphazardly, but to the contrary:

‘The pattern of 14C depletion in the annual rings is remarkably consistent between all three of the trees cored, suggesting that either changes in CO2 flux are occurring homogeneously across the entire area of the tree kill, or that trees integrate CO2 flux very well over relatively large areas.’9

Under the right conditions, inherited carbon-14 dates can therefore mimic ‘real’ ones.
but fails to note how frickin easy it is to determine if this has happened. I'm gonna just post this image:

from

This paper and you can just figure out why that might be.

For a more detailed critique of the artist sometimes known as Woodmorappe click here

and I will stop after this one although there are more:

David Rohl has pointed out some serious problems with dendrochronology ...

Actually, calling a circle a square does not diminish it's ability to roll. Mr Rohl has not pointed out any serious problems with Dendrochronology your claim notwithstanding. Unfortunately, being YEC, and being thus compelled to create obfuscation strong enough to keep the rubes' money flowing, he has to use enough information to keep the thinking YEC's confused. Using real information can be dangerous when you are knowingly using a false argument.

Now Dave, you wrote this:

Note the highlighted portion above ...

[1]

Thus one would be justified in asking if the crucial cross-links which connect up the floating sequences of the Belfast and German chronologies [and by inference, all the other sequences] are based on incorrect wiggle-matches which have resulted from the phenomenon of auto-correlation.

And further questions would be ...

[2] Why does Mazar reject the dendro curve? How about the wiggle-match problems? How about auto-correlation? How about inflated t-values? How about the Sweet Track Chronology being withdrawn? The South German sequence abandoned? Why did Kuniholm reject the date with the highest t-value? And so on?

I think a bit of deconstruction is in order here:

By Mazar's rejection, does Rohl mean Amihai Mazar of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem? The one who coauthored 14C Dates from Tel Rehov: Iron-Age Chronology, Pharaohs, and Hebrew Kings (the article will open with a free subsrcription)  with Hendrik J. Bruins and Johannes van der Plicht? (Science 11 April 2003:Vol. 300. no. 5617, pp. 315 - 318)

Because if so, he apparently no longer objects.

Yeesh. Of course that is the Mazar Rohl means.
(Rohl)

Bibliography:
Mazar, A. -- 1990: Archaeology of the Land of the Bible: 10000-586 BCE (New
York).

link

Well, Mazar published that after Rohl wrote his book so we can only note that, as time marches on, another gap gets filled. Mazar's objection is dealt with and Mazar starts to use the new technology. Strike 1.

Rohl begins by misusing the royal "WE" rather than the correct "I" when he writes:
We cannot know for sure why the various dendrochronology calibration curves cause this problem.

Actually, "We" can know this thanks to Ferguson, Stuiver, Yamaguchi, and many many others. Although, if you are any indication, "He" probably can't. Interesting to note:
Unlike the dendrochronologies of the sequoia and bristlecone pine where it was possible to read the rings of individual trees over a period of a few thousand years, the European and recently developed Turkish dendrochronologies have had to be constructed from many shorter lived trees, whose rings have had to be 'wiggle-matched.' By cross-matching sequences of narrow and wide growth-rings from different logs the trees can be overlapped -- thus extending the chronology backwards through time. This is a straightforward technique and should be relatively easy to implement. However, a number of difficulties have recently come to light.

So, sorry to say this, but it looks like Ferguson isn't subject to the entire next portion of this editorial, right? Since he had large enough samples with excelent characteristics for his study. Well, never mind. You want to use ferguson 1969 so I guess that's what we'll do. Actually, that's what I did in my draft post I offered to you before you needed to post.

Rohl's problem is summarized and hinges on this bit here:
Another notable weakness in the construction of the European oak chronologies is the use of statistics. In 1991, J. Lasken raised the problem of inflated t-values.15 A t-value is given to a wiggle-match on the basis of a statistical analysis of the correspondence between two wood samples. This statistical assessment is done by computer which assigns high t-values (3 and above) to good wiggle-matches and low t-values (below 3) to those with poor correspondence between the ring patterns. In 1986, D. Yamaguchi recognised that trees tend to auto-correlate -- that is they possess the ability to cross-match with each other in several places within the tree-ring sequence. He took a douglas fir log known to date between AD 1482 and 1668 and demonstrated that it could cross-match with other tree-ring sequences to give t-values of around 5 at AD 1504 (for the low end of the ring age), 7 at AD 1647 and 4.5 at AD 1763. Indeed he found 113 significant candidate wiggle-matches throughout the whole of the AD tree-ring sequence.16

Yamaguchi apparently dealt a severe blow to "wiggle matching". I mean, both Rohl and Batten cited Yamaguchi as scientific proof positive that Dendro ultimately fails because of autocorellation errors, right? Remember that doug-fir log that came up with 3 separate positive matches? That means that both Rohl and Batten must have read the Yamaguchi paper. So I suppose Yamaguchi must have been crushed when he invalidated his own field? Well, just to clear up a little misunderstanding, Yamaguchi didn't invalidate wiggle matching. He improved it by demontrating the need for fitting autoregressive intergrated moving average models to standardized tree-ring series to remove autocorrelation from them. In fact, I read Yamaguchi and you should too! Here is a bit at the end:

[

Hmmm. Makes you wonder don't it? Let's move on:
It is therefore interesting to note that a number of the crucial dendrochronology sequences -- for example the Garry Bog 2 (GB2) to Southwark sequences which connect the Belfast absolute chronology (i.e. the AD sequence) to the 'floating' Belfast long chronology (i.e. the BC sequence), and ultimately used to redate the South German chronology, have t-values of around 4. These t-values are considerably lower than those obtained for some of the historically incorrect dates produced by
Yamaguchi's experiment. Thus one would be justified in asking if the crucial cross-links which connect up the floating sequences of the Belfast and German chronologies are based on incorrect wiggle-matches which have resulted from the phenomenon of auto-correlation.
Well, fortunately Yamaguchi gave us a way to fix autocorrelation errors and now the field in general addresses them whenever appropriate. A peer revuer won't let that problem slip by now that it has been identified. Thank you David Yamaguchi.

Hmmm. Now that I am aware of what Yamaguchi's contribution was, it would be darned dishonest of me to try to claim autocorrelation problems in more modern peer-revued publications that do address the problem now wouldn't it? Well, thanks for that scanned page Dave, So far all the creationist literature cited demonstrates dishonesty. That is part of my proposal and will certainly be part of my conclusion. Maybe you might want to double-check your sources before you post them.

Do you see how that kind of ridiculousness could make a conscientious person blush? (I'll leave it to you to determine who should blush)

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,18:43   

BWE that is some deep tard.  I salute you sir.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,20:00   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Oct. 25 2007,18:43)

At ease soldier. We've earned some R&R.

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

IanBrown_101

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2007,23:08   

Quote (BWE @ Oct. 26 2007,02:00)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Oct. 25 2007,18:43)

If we're using war analogies, can I be the one who never actually does anything, but sit around playing the harmonica?

--------------
I'm not the fastest or the baddest or the fatest.

You NEVER seem to address the fact that the grand majority of people supporting Darwinism in these on line forums and blogs are atheists. That doesn't seem to bother you guys in the least. - FtK

Roddenberry is my God.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,01:52   

Quote (IanBrown_101 @ Oct. 25 2007,23:08)
Quote (BWE @ Oct. 26 2007,02:00)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Oct. 25 2007,18:43)

If we're using war analogies, can I be the one who never actually does anything, but sit around playing the harmonica?

And who's going to play the bugle?

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,08:16   

When do I get to know your name as you know mine?

you don't. Just in case it makes your prayers more accurate :)

The reason for polyploidy is anyone's guess.

No, nobody needs to guess. There is no "reason" for it, in the same way that there is no "reason" my knees have such a bad "design". What I'm asking is that IF all life is created, don't you even wonder why some organisms have multiple copy's of their chromosomes? Is that not rather wasteful? What can we conclude about the designer there? That's it's an idiot?
I think it may have something to do with productivity.

Is that the extent of your musings on the matter? Luckily other people are doing actual research.
What I do know is that according to Genesis (my filter, which is no differerent than others with the filter of naturalism) plants are a different "flesh" than animals.

As has since been pointed out, animals also exist that exhibit polyploidy. What's your take on that?
What I disagree with Dawkins is the role of duplication in gaining information.  How is this possible?  How is this possible?  

Is that the only point of disagreement you have with Dawkins and that entire essay?
Hey!  What do you know?  I just increased the information content of my question using duplication!

And what does this prove?
I hope you can see that duplication does no good in having a genome gain info to code for novel structures.

Care to comment on CJ's post then?
Link
What step do you dispute?

Another problem with the polyploidy issue is that were humans to have this, we'd be in a mess.

Another problem? What was the first problem please?

Read any bio book covering chromosomal mutations (yes, I mean the germ line) and you'll see that it is true.  I am assuming that animals would have just as severe of problems as we would.

As already noted your assumption is wrong. Do you care to retract that statement? Will this trigger a introspective look at your other assumptions, as discussed in this thread? Or will you just pretend that it never happened and carry on lying to children?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,08:16   

The next section is where you'll need to restate your question about survival and the Garden.  I honestly do not know what you are asking.  Please restate and I'll do my best to answer.

It's quite simple. DNA contains instructions for organisms. For example, the cuckoo, I'm sure you know, invades other species and lays eggs there.
If, before the "fall" there was not death, what "instructions"  did the cuckoo DNA contains?
If DNA contains instructions on how to survive, before the fall those instructions were not needed. So at what point did they get implanted? After the fall?

Sharp teeth are found in the panda and they are vegetarians, or bears which are omnivores.  So what's your point? (no pun intended!)

If a bear is an omnivore, then before the fall there was no death. Therefore bears must have been vegetarian before the fall.

a) Did bears have sharp teeth before the fall? If so, why?
b) Did bears get sharp teeth after the fall? If so, how?
I'll give you a hint. Answersingenesis say

Although dinosaurs were originally part of God's ‘very good’ creation and thus were vegetarians, Adam’s disobedience changed all that. Carnivory is the result of the Fall, and had no part in the original creation—neither will it be present in the new heavens and earth to come.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/cec/docs/lesson6.asp

As I wrote you before, his answer discussed that today's animals are the model types (whatever that means) and that is why today's fish will not evolve into something like an amphibian.

huh? please define "model types".

What I do not understand is that weren't the animals of the past, like the trilobite with its very complex imaging system - and no I won't give you a reference as I'll just get yelled at by your compatriots - the models of their time?  So why did they change and today's can't?

Can't they? Please provide a reference that shows that evolution is impossible for trilobites.

I read the AIG article about the archeologist, but I couldn't find the trouble spot you saw.  I read your other article about the 7,000 plus year old mummy.  

Is it 7000+ years old or not?

It could very well be that due to error, the date could be wrong, just like there are cases when rock dates don't match up and the sample is tossed.

It could also therefore be the case that AnswersInGenesis is wrong about a 6000 year old earth.

Evidence supporting 7000+ old Mummy: Well established Dating techniques.

Yet you feel able to dispute it with a wave of the hand. Do you have any actual objection other then "they could be wrong"?

Do you have a reference for    
when rock dates don't match up and the sample is tossed.

Other then AIG? Do you have an example of this happening, from a reputable source? It'll be big news if all dating is wrong you know!

You need to know that I am not hard and fast with the 6,000 years either.  I can go as high as about 12,000, but that is my upper limit.

12,000 years is not an AIG approved figure. Could you tell me where you get that figure from? Or is it just a "gut" feeling?

I wonder why you italisized the word teacher in your post?

You are not teaching them, you are repeating your preconceptions to children who don't know enough to question you. Evil man.

I am finishing a unit on capillary water and permeability in Earth Science, and one on cell organelles in Bio.  In Bio we discussed Dr. Margullis' symbiont idea for the origin of the mitochondrion and chloroplast.

What's your alternative explnation for origin of the mitochondrion and chloroplast? "God did it"?

I explained why the idea does not make logical sense.  First, an ameboid precursor of eucaryotes ingested a bacterium and then did not digest it?!   Second the bacterium just happened to be the one giving off ATP which was used by the precursor to now survive better?!

What's your alternative explnation for origin of the mitochondrion and chloroplast? "God did it"?

Wow!  What a stroke of luck!  There is no proof that this is what happened.   I explained that the good doctor simply has made an inference or an interpretation of evidence and therefore this idea is not a fact.  This is what most of evolutionary "proof" is in my book.

I again posit that everyone filters facts through his/her own presuppositions and worldview.

Correct, however what have you prodouced using your worldview? Invented anything? More efficient power supplys? Anything at all? Results matter, you have none except to deepen the ignorance of the children in you "care".

All of us agree that cells are the basis for life.  All of us agree that DNA is a highly structured information packed molecule.

Please prove to me there is *any* information at all in DNA. You talk about "increases" and "decreases" but I bet you can't even say why there is information in DNA in the first place.  Quantify it.

Where we differ is the origin of the said items and the source of information itself.

Earlier you said

The reason for polyploidy is anyone's guess.

So we "differ" because you don't know and I want to find out. Clear?

And no I don't believe that seimic waves carry specified complex information akin to sentences.

what?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,09:20   

oldman:
huh? please define "model types".

I believe he meant: model types = kinds.

Hope that helps.

CG:
What I do not understand is that weren't the animals of the past, like the trilobite with its very complex imaging system - and no I won't give you a reference as I'll just get yelled at by your compatriots - the models of their time?  So why did they change and today's can't?

Surely not.  You can't be talking about today's trilobites, can you?

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,10:02   

Thanks Bipley.

Ok, in case Christopher, do you agree or disagree with the following statement

There was a single "kind" of beetle (a pair) on the Ark that all current beetles are descended from.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,10:13   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Oct. 26 2007,10:02)
Thanks Bipley.

Ok, in case Christopher, do you agree or disagree with the following statement

There was a single "kind" of beetle (a pair) on the Ark that all current beetles are descended from.

ooooh.  I like where this is going.

*munches popcorn with that fake, but oh so delicious movie butter*

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,10:41   

Hey!  I want to hear more about today's trilobites.  I've always wanted one as a pet.  I'll bet that damn Noah forgot to save a couple.  Or seven.  Depending on which verse in Genesis our latest creo favors.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,10:53   

Quote (J-Dog @ Oct. 26 2007,10:41)
Hey!  I want to hear more about today's trilobites.  I've always wanted one as a pet.  I'll bet that damn Noah forgot to save a couple.  Or seven.  Depending on which verse in Genesis our latest creo favors.

well, you are too late for yesterdays (about 250 million years) but I'd also like to hear about today's!

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 26 2007,11:24   

Quote (BWE @ Oct. 26 2007,01:52)
And who's going to play the bugle?

Cpl. Radar O'reilly?

snaxalotl

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2007,11:06   

didn't have time to check whether anybody posted information on Tyre that wasn't from "Simplistic Just So History for Sunday Schools", but Farrell Till engaged in some rather more technical arguments on the topic. Among others: http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1999/2/992tyre.html

--------------
Quid quid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur

289 replies since Sep. 26 2007,14:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (10) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]