RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... >   
  Topic: Libations and Comestibles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2008,22:01   

Well, I thawed a bunch o' hamburger and the girls are sick of burgers so my daughter had the brilliant suggestion that I should make chili instead.

So..... one of my usual ad hoc low-attention-span chilis:

1 can white hominy
1 can pinto beans
1 can red beans
2 cans white beans
1 can black beans
1 big can of these weird Turkish* red beans that my corner market inexplicably stocks
about 1¼ lbs of hamburger

Spices:

a big spoonful of crushed garlic
4 fat whole garlic cloves
big heaping tablespoon of Grandma's™ chili powder (mild, but nice flavor)
big spoonful of coriander
big spoonful of cumin
smallish spoonful of cayenne pepper
smallish spoonful of hot paprika
big spoonful of Indian red chili sauce, normally used for homemade curries

no tomatoes since I don't like the flavor and no onions because I'm too lazy to chop one up.

slop the hominy & beans together with a little water and all the spices, brown the hamburger, stir all together, crush garlic gloves half an hour later when they're soft. Then cook another 30-45 minutes after that.

I may make cornbread on the side.

Should last the 3 of us sth. like 2½ days.

*just to piss off Louis.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2008,23:33   

Quote (Louis @ May 19 2008,04:58)
Steve,

Your AtBC friends and I are getting very concerned about your drinking. Thus, we have decided to stage an Intervention.

Not necessary. I seldom have more than 10 drinks a day now. This weekend was an aberration. You have to know the people.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,02:16   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ May 20 2008,04:01)
[SNIP]

...Turkish* ...
[SNIP]

*just to piss off Louis.

But I LOVE the turks. Great bunch of blokes. I'm simply not that Greek.

Frankly, even though I am more than aware of the history, I don't see why there has to be any fuss at all. Turks and Greeks lived so closely together in Cyprus one could barely tell the difference (still bloody can't) prior to the occupation (and even now in some villages). It's just yet another excuse for we humans to have a right good scrap about something.

Now if you talk to some of my relatives it's a different story. Mind you considering my ancestral village is right on the edge of the border with the occupied area of Cyprus, I can kinda see where they are coming from. But whiter than white they ain't, no matter how persecuted they like to present themselves.

Anyway, Turkish beans are inferior, everyone knows that. And don't get me started on their horrible olive oil and terrible hummus. ;-)

Louis

ETA P.S. You eat white hominy? Fucking cannibal!

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,02:18   

Quote (stevestory @ May 20 2008,05:33)
Quote (Louis @ May 19 2008,04:58)
Steve,

Your AtBC friends and I are getting very concerned about your drinking. Thus, we have decided to stage an Intervention.

Not necessary. I seldom have more than 10 drinks a day now. This weekend was an aberration. You have to know the people.

Steve,

You need to read that post again and note the location for the intervention. It perhaps isn't the sort of intervention you might have thought it is. It's an intervention with strippers and beer. You know, the GOOD kind.

Louis

ETA P.S. I have often wondered if there should be, planned well in advance, an AtBC International Meet Up at some suitable location. I think it would be a riot. Mind you, I also think it would involve Richard Hughes doing body shots off of FTK's tits, and no one wants to see that.

--------------
Bye.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,03:02   

Occasionally we meet up when we're around. Didn't those guys meet up in Seattle last year or something? Wesley's in town right now and we might have a beer tomorrow. It's a good idea to have a group gathering. Though it might run into the same problems as Mensa meetings--the least useful and socially capable members are the most likely to show up.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,03:04   

Anybody who hangs out at PT/AtBC and is near the Chapel Hill / Carrboro area is welcome to stop by my place. I live here. PM for more specific location.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,03:07   

I think I'll start a thread for this kind of thing.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,04:54   

Quote (stevestory @ May 20 2008,09:02)
Occasionally we meet up when we're around. Didn't those guys meet up in Seattle last year or something? Wesley's in town right now and we might have a beer tomorrow. It's a good idea to have a group gathering. Though it might run into the same problems as Mensa meetings--the least useful and socially capable members are the most likely to show up.

LOL I'm not sure whether or not I should take that as a "compliment" since I suggested the meeting and therefore would be at least relatively likely to turn up!

Define "socially capable".

If you mean talkative, friendly, keen to participate in discussions and general chat (be it high fallutin' interlekchul or the latest sporting results/standard male minor league sexism in the face of beautiful women as befits the "New Lad" or whatever we're being called now, probably "metrosexual"), always gets his round in, and with a disturbing tendancy towards drunkenness, gentle mockery, banter and moderate to mildly illegal/unsafe capers*, then I'm your man.

If you mean silent, sitting in a corner, squeaking with fear when girls walk past, taking umbrage at irrelevancies, discussing the latest move in my D+D by post/programming course/obsession with PeeWee Herman/ST:TNG/DS9/V/whatever and generally being about as much fun as a wet weekend in Wolverhampton, then sorry, you'll have to call Chatfield.

;-)

Louis

* Caper: UK criminal slang for an enterprise or "blag" of some description. Softened in recent years to mean some kind of (probably inadvisable) escapade that may or may not involve one or more of the following: roller skates/shopping trolleys/beer/traffic cones/the sea/policeman's helmets/vomit/universities/myriad objects of a dubious nature/beer/more beer/drugs/beer/Amsterdam/etc.

More than one of my long term friends has remarked that my (our) youth (up to the age of about 26) was basically a very long episode of Jackass without the budget. Typified by the oft yelled motto "Let's give it some bollocks!".

Incidentally I can do civilised too. Very civilised. I'm just not good at the stuff in the middle. Uncouth riotous drunkeness: Check. Civilised, even cultured and erudite: Check. Small talk and (what I consider to be) abject dullness: Check please! I haven't been arrested in years.

And I can even be nice to Colonials. Now if that ain't tolerance I don't know what is.

--------------
Bye.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,12:13   

Quote (stevestory @ June 07 2007,18:04)
Might as well have an explicit post about booze.

Mostly fermented nectar or ambrosia with a spritz of fresh dew drops collected by fæiries.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,23:10   

I needed a very easy chili con carne to feed lots of people from mostly canned food.  I came up with;

Canned pinto beans (about 1.5 cups per person)
Drain 50% of the canning liquid and replace with chicken stock

1/8 large yellow onion per person (small diced)

1/4 cup corn kernels per person (drained if canned)

1/4 Lb ground meat (I pre-cooked for field work 4 days in advance, and I froze bags of cooked turkey meatballs good for 1 week in the field site coolers)

a lot of bottled salsa (green for ground turkey (our favorite) or red for beef, or pork)

ground cumin, granulated garlic, salt and black pepper

Serve with fresh chopped onion, tomato, cilantro, garlic and a bottle of pepper sauce (Tapa Tio is our current favorite).

If calories are not an issue, eat with corn bread and beer (add a bottle of beer to the chilli too).

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2008,23:49   

Quote (Dr.GH @ May 21 2008,00:10)
a lot of bottled salsa (green for ground turkey (our favorite)

I've got a weirdo roommate who does that but adds Pluto's Caribbean seasoning. It seems to work....

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2008,18:33   

Well, the training has gotten more serious and I have to switch to a no booze during the week phase. Tonight is the last drink for the next six days, so it's time to get serious.

mixed into a 2-liter of diet mountain dew.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2008,18:35   

No, don't call the hospital. I won't be drinking the entire fifth. Maybe about a pint.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2008,20:33   

Quote (stevestory @ May 24 2008,16:33)
Well, the training has gotten more serious and I have to switch to a no booze during the week phase. Tonight is the last drink for the next six days, so it's time to get serious.

mixed into a 2-liter of diet mountain dew.

So, Steve, are you still alive?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 25 2008,12:30   

Oh, yeah. I don't even have a hangover. I didn't drink all that much of it. About a pint. Next time I have a drink, on Friday, my tolerance is going to be much lower, though, so I'll have to be careful. I don't really want to go down to zero alcohol on weekdays but the next triathlon in the area is July 13 and I'm still carrying about 15 extra lbs.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 29 2008,20:34   

Long sober week of eating right and training. Lots of veggies. Homemade fajitas and fresh spinach and romaine salad with caesar dressing and two anchovies. But tomorrow is drinkytime! woohoo!

I'm thinking Highland Gaelic ale, some Guiness, and about a gallon of Cuba Libres.

deejay

(Permalink) Posted: May 29 2008,21:54   

It looks like this thread is becoming a virtual chili cook-off, so here’s my chili con carne recipe, FWIW.  It’s gotten us through lots of football Sundays :  

Ingredients:

2 lb ground sirloin or ground bison
~3/4 lb sliced bacon
16 oz canned stewed tomatoes
~30 oz canned tomato sauce
16 oz canned kidney beans
16 oz canned chili beans
2 small or one medium onion
4 cloves garlic
1 red and 1 green bell pepper
2 or 3 raw jalapenos
3 tsp chili powder, or more to taste
2 tsp cumin, or more to taste
Black pepper
Tabasco sauce
Sesame oil
Cheddar cheese
Saltines

Dump tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili and kidney  beans into large stock pot and let simmer over low heat.  Finely dice raw jalapenos and add to pot.  If your stewed tomatoes are whole, break up with a wooden spoon.

Slice bacon into one-inch pieces and cook in frying pan over medium heat.  Cook, but do not brown.  Add all but a few pieces to stock pot.

Dice red and green bell peppers into half inch squares, and cook in frying pan, using the remaining pieces of bacon and as much of the bacon grease as your conscience will allow.  Cook over medium heat until tender, and add to pot.

Dice onion and garlic and cook in frying pan over medium heat with sesame oil, leaving aside some chopped onion as an optional garnish.  Cook for ~2-3 minutes, and add beef (or bison).  Cook until done, seasoning with black pepper and Tabasco to taste.   Drain excess grease, add to pot.

Season with cumin, chili powder, pepper and Tabasco to taste.  Longer simmer times help blend and thicken things, but eat it when you’re ready. Tomato paste is an optional thickening agent. Serve in bowls, topped with ground cheddar and raw diced onion, with saltines on the side if, like me, you’re too lazy to make corn bread.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2008,20:24   

My girlfriend's back in town from Italy but busy. And there's kind of a boycott on Hell due to some strife there. So I'm hanging out here for a while. Smoking some Partagases

and drinking strawberry Burnett's. Is SNL live this week? I'm bored.

Edited by stevestory on May 31 2008,21:26

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2008,21:29   

I was in Tarheel Tobacco earlier and I bought a case of small Partaguses. Nice tasty dark leaf. Maybe it'll keep me from the American Spirits.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: June 01 2008,16:19   

We had friends over for dinner last night.

Appetizers:  Blue corn chips served with Bronco Bob's Raspberry Chipotle Sauce over cream cheese and Miner's Light beer from the Krebs Brewing Company.

Starter:  Apple-Butternut Bisque

Main Course:  Pork Filets with a Balsamic Caper Sauce, Steamed Asparagus, and 2005 Antinori Santa Christina Sangiovese.

Dessert:  Home Made Cayenne Pecan Pie and 2007 EOS Tears of Dew Late Harvest Moscato

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: June 02 2008,10:15   

Quote (carlsonjok @ June 01 2008,16:19)
We had friends over for dinner last night.

Appetizers:  Blue corn chips served with Bronco Bob's Raspberry Chipotle Sauce over cream cheese and Miner's Light beer from the Krebs Brewing Company.

Starter:  Apple-Butternut Bisque

Main Course:  Pork Filets with a Balsamic Caper Sauce, Steamed Asparagus, and 2005 Antinori Santa Christina Sangiovese.

Dessert:  Home Made Cayenne Pecan Pie and 2007 EOS Tears of Dew Late Harvest Moscato

So, when is the Big Bar B Q for all of the rest of us?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

EyeNoU

(Permalink) Posted: June 02 2008,11:29   

He doesn't want you to interrupt his Krebs cycle.......

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2008,23:53   

Lately I've been making a lot of homemade pizzas. Toppings are black olive, pepperoni, red onion, bell peppers, shallots, garlic, basil, roasted red pepper, bacon etc.

F&$%ing Bowman Gray pool has been down for a few days with stupid heat issues. It's surprisingly hard to swim a mile in 92º water.

In the meantime, has anyone smoked this Salvia stuff? They're thinking about making it illegal, so I should try it soon.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,12:37   

Trader's Joe's frozen latkes:

Fry them in olive oil for 5 minutes on one side then 5 minutes on the other. Man-oh-man they are friggin delicious. And for $1.99 for a box of eight, what's not to like?

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,18:50   

just made a smoothie:

1 cup seedless grapes
1 cup dannon blackberry yogurt
1 cup milk
1/2 banana

blended up. Yummy.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,18:50   

Quote (stevestory @ June 11 2008,05:53)
Lately I've been making a lot of homemade pizzas. Toppings are black olive, pepperoni, red onion, bell peppers, shallots, garlic, basil, roasted red pepper, bacon etc.

F&$%ing Bowman Gray pool has been down for a few days with stupid heat issues. It's surprisingly hard to swim a mile in 92º water.

In the meantime, has anyone smoked this Salvia stuff? They're thinking about making it illegal, so I should try it soon.

Salvia divinorum? A {ahem} friend tried it once in a bong. You have to take on a simply HUGE amount of smoke to get a very brief, very powerful hallucination. Not the best, needs work (the psychoactive ingredient has been synthesised IIRC).

Personally I think you'll be disappointed.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

khan

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,19:21   

I've recently gotten into serious salad making: some proteins and starches and lots of greens and other veggies.

A new one yesterday was mustard greens  (from local farmers) with several other vegetables and steak (also local) and walnut oil and red wine vinegar and a bit of mustard.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,20:22   

I think I'll get a plant for the backyard garden, and when the time comes probably shred it and use it the same way you'd use snuff.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,22:06   

Quote (Louis @ June 13 2008,19:50)
Salvia divinorum? A {ahem} friend tried it once in a bong. You have to take on a simply HUGE amount of smoke to get a very brief, very powerful hallucination.

Um...a friend...used to do a substance which resulted in 10 hour hallucinations, and honestly, they lasted kind of frustratingly, annoyingly long. So this friend of mine might think brief hallucinations are just what the doctor ordered. So Silvia sounds kinda like DMT. To my friend.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,22:14   

Quote (stevestory @ June 13 2008,20:06)

Quote (Louis @ June 13 2008,19:50)
Salvia divinorum? A {ahem} friend tried it once in a bong. You have to take on a simply HUGE amount of smoke to get a very brief, very powerful hallucination.

Um...a friend...used to do a substance which resulted in 10 hour hallucinations, and honestly, they lasted kind of frustratingly, annoyingly long. So this friend of mine might think brief hallucinations are just what the doctor ordered. So Silvia sounds kinda like DMT. To my friend.

So, say hi to this, uh, friend for us, Steve.

You know, next time you see this friend.

PS: Tell this friend that it might be risky to post here while hallucinating. You know, if he/she actually posts here.

*cough*

--------------

1287 replies since June 07 2007,18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]