RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,10:27   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Aug. 01 2008,09:55)
Quote (Lou FCD @ Aug. 01 2008,09:32)

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Aug. 01 2008,09:22)
Kairosfocus: PS: I must note that I am rather uncomfortable with the level of language used in the OP and its headline.

You're not alone. It was - after all - written by O'leary.

He needs to touch base with batshitinsane77 and get a copy of that nanny filter.

BA77's nanny filter is unreliable.  In this comment, he manages to get the word "model" by the filter without the normal "^" in the middle.

That's funny.  Maybe he is a sock puppet after all.  Occasional lucid posts betray high intelligence under the thick layer of creationist makeup.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,10:48   

Quote (olegt @ Aug. 01 2008,11:27)
Quote (carlsonjok @ Aug. 01 2008,09:55)

Quote (Lou FCD @ Aug. 01 2008,09:32)

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Aug. 01 2008,09:22)
Kairosfocus: PS: I must note that I am rather uncomfortable with the level of language used in the OP and its headline.

He needs to touch base with batshitinsane77 and get a copy of that nanny filter.

BA77's nanny filter is unreliable.  In this comment, he manages to get the word "model" by the filter without the normal "^" in the middle.

That's funny.  Maybe he is a sock puppet after all.  Occasional lucid posts betray high intelligence under the thick layer of creationist makeup.

BA77, aka "Bond, James Bond" on PT for a while, in love with Genetic Entropy and long quotes - a sock puppet? If so the puppeteer is under really deep cover.

OTOH, who is CEC09 and will he survive one thread without being banned?

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,10:59   

That's B^ond,Jam^es B^ond.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,11:29   

Quote (sparc @ Aug. 01 2008,10:01)
I don't understand what bfast wants to tell me:  
sparc, you are putting words into gpuccio’s mouth. You suggested that his claim that antibody generation is “engineered” is equivelant to saying that random variation is an intelligent process. This is a poor inference. If one can show that engineers use random processes than one can demonstrate that random processes are used by engineers. I would suggest that the random orbital sander is an excellent example of exactly that. As engineers clearly implement randomness as a component of their processes, when we see a “turn on random generator” phenomenon in nature, we can conclude that there is no inconsistency between nature and the metaphore of human-engineered technology.

bfast is just showing off that degree in Tautology he/she got on the six year plan.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,11:44   

Quote (sparc @ Aug. 01 2008,08:01)
sparc, you are putting words into gpuccio’s mouth. You suggested that his claim that antibody generation is “engineered” is equivelant to saying that random variation is an intelligent process. This is a poor inference. If one can show that engineers use random processes than one can demonstrate that random processes are used by engineers. I would suggest that the random orbital sander is an excellent example of exactly that. As engineers clearly implement randomness as a component of their processes, when we see a “turn on random generator” phenomenon in nature, we can conclude that there is no inconsistency between nature and the metaphore of human-engineered technology.

What I think he's saying is:
Non-random processes = Goddidit
Random processes = Goddidit
Therefore Goddidit.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

American Saddlebred

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,11:50   

Quote (JohnW @ Aug. 01 2008,11:44)

Therefore Goddidit.

I think he's saying he is right because engineers know liek everytin k?

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,12:13   

Quote (American Saddlebred @ Aug. 01 2008,09:50)
Quote (JohnW @ Aug. 01 2008,11:44)

Therefore Goddidit.

I think he's saying he is right because engineers know liek everytin k?

Or maybe it's just that God has a sander?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,14:56   

O'Leary

08/01/2008

4:55 am
kairosfocus, I was a bit uncomfortable too - but it was a literary Darwinist who admitted that much in his field is “crap”, and I owe him accurate quotation.

Thank heaven he isn’t the Prophet Myers.

But you didn't put quotes around it in the title, Denyse..

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,16:00   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 01 2008,15:56)

They just can't get it through their heads that science doesn't have or need prophets, revelations from god, or churches.

It's amazing how thick creationists are, and how they just can't relate to anything outside the stained glass windows.

The projection is palpable in every dripping word.

Edited by Lou FCD on Aug. 01 2008,17:00

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,16:11   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Aug. 01 2008,14:00)

They just can't get it through their heads that science doesn't have or need prophets, revelations from god, or churches.

It's amazing how thick creationists are, and how they just can't relate to anything outside the stained glass windows.

It's NOMA in action at the thought-process level, Lou.  When worshipping, they treat every word of their messiah/guru/whatever as holy, and devote endless hours to poring over the sacred texts to determine their real meaning.  Then they try to apply the same approach to science.

It's why the tards spend so much time on such trivia as the Darwin puppy-cruelty story - Darwin had moral flaws, therefore he's not a saint, therefore he's not to be trusted, therefore evolutionary biology is wrong, therefore creationism wins.  Who cares if this is met with slack-jawed incomprehension by scientists (because we just don't think about science in those terms)?  It works on the faithful, and that's who they're after.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,18:13   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Aug. 01 2008,17:00)

Nobody familiar with Scienceblogs.com and who has an IQ over 90 would think PZ is treated like a Prophet. I know I said the other day that creationists are DUMB, but Denyse, you really don't have to try so hard to prove it.

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,19:09   

Quote (stevestory @ Aug. 01 2008,18:13)
Quote (Lou FCD @ Aug. 01 2008,17:00)

Nobody familiar with Scienceblogs.com and who has an IQ over 90 would think PZ is treated like a Prophet. I know I said the other day that creationists are DUMB, but Denyse, you really don't have to try so hard to prove it.

Yup, there are plenty of people over there that take PZ to task when they think he is wrong - witness some of the posts that took a decidedly critical slant on the cracker issue.

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,19:21   

I forgot about the cracker thing for a moment. I was thinking of those vicious arguments about framing.

People who say that scientists take other scientists' word on faith, or in conspiracy, or as 'Prophecy', or out of peer-pressure, only reveal that they have no exposure to scientists. Or that they themselves do, but they're selling BS to creationists, who don't.

Moorit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,22:57   

Quote (Venus Mousetrap @ Aug. 01 2008,00:29)

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Aug. 01 2008,08:22)

Hey, Denies uses plenty of language. We're just not sure which one.

Babble-onian?

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,23:09   

There are even some who have criticized his militant atheist stance - Wilkins, for example, does so semiregularly. Having said that, there is a sense of community that can cause us to circle the wagons. In my experience it is rather like here at ATBC.

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

bystander

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,01:35   

This is another difference between the two camps. They will rarely if ever criticize anybody in their own camp.
I think that PZ DOES have some camp followers who agree with everything he says, but there is always vigorous debate about the issues and the various approaches

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,10:07   

GilDodgen:      
Davies: Random mutations plus natural selection are one surefire way to generate biological information

Absolutely none of this is surefire, or has been demonstrated, or has been seen. In fact, it all flies in the face of even the most trivial mathematical analysis concerning probabilistic resources and the barriers presented by combinatoric explosion, ...

Some very significant handwaving. I note he doesn't provide this "most trivial mathematical analysis" (though I have no doubt it is the standard exponentially poor argument). Nor can I ask directly as most such questions are banned on Uncommon Descent. A simple counterexample would be a gene duplication with the duplicate evolving a novel function. This is clearly new information by any reasonable measure. But if GilDodgen wants to discuss this in detail, he just has to ask.

Meanwhile, Flannery points out that Darwin was "a rather pathetic little boy oppressed by a domineering father and overshadowed by older sisters", oh, and a plagarist and a secret atheist conspirator.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Quidam

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,11:09   

A mathematical analysis is simply a model.  While models are extremely useful, it is important to remember that they are not the real thing and that if there is a discrepancy between the model and reality, it's unlikely that reality is wrong.

--------------
The organized fossils ... and their localities also, may be understood by all, even the most illiterate. William Smith, Strata. 1816

silverspoon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,11:13   

Quote (Zachriel @ Aug. 02 2008,10:07)
Meanwhile, Flannery points out that Darwin was "a rather pathetic little boy oppressed by a domineering father and overshadowed by older sisters", oh, and a plagarist and a secret atheist conspirator.

Sal spouting how young Charles enjoyed beating a puppy can’t be far behind. :p

--------------
Grand Poobah of the nuclear mafia

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,13:05   

Quote (Quidam @ Aug. 02 2008,11:09)
A mathematical analysis is simply a model.  While models are extremely useful, it is important to remember that they are not the real thing and that if there is a discrepancy between the model and reality, it's unlikely that reality is wrong.

I believe Adam Savage said it best, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."  It isn't merely a funny quote from television for the ID folk; it's a way of life.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,14:23   

Quidam says,

I like this way of saying this, and this is a key flaw of the creationists.  They think that if they have some math - any math - then they must be right, because math is truth!  The idea that maybe their math doesn't apply to the real world doesn't seem to occur to them.

Jake

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,15:24   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Aug. 02 2008,14:23)
Quidam says,

I like this way of saying this, and this is a key flaw of the creationists.  They think that if they have some math - any math - then they must be right, because math is truth!  The idea that maybe their math doesn't apply to the real world doesn't seem to occur to them.

This is so true. I remember once spending days vainly trying to point out to one guy (Jerry Don Bauer, I think his name was) that while there were no mathematical errors in his model of the evolution of a flagellum (which, predictably, "proved" that it couldn't happen), it was not in any way applicable to the real world, due to a host of inappropriate assumptions. His only response was to smugly point out that I couldn't find any errors in his math, therefore he was correct...

Edited to add: Actually, this mode of thinking (whilst antithetical to most sciency types) is probably very easy to maintain for many people. Its the sort of mindset that routinely rationalises away evidence that contradicts one interpretation of the Bible - pick a philosophy, then hold onto it in the face of all else. Its a lot more certain and easier than messy old reality. No doubt when you do it your whole life it becomes pretty natural.

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,15:44   

Smart People With Dumb Ideas
GilDodgen

I’m currently rereading Bill Dembski’s No Free Lunch.

I stopped reading right there.  With my quote-mining approach, Gil Dodgen is right for once.  :D

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,16:19   

Gil's hero, Bill Dembski, presented an essay in 1997 that calculated a rate of introduction of information by the action of natural selection. Forget about the quibble that the math was as bogus as anything else he has done since, it does at least make Gil a fibber when he says that no one has done such a thing.

Of course, Kimura did the actual calculation back around the time that Bill and I were busy being infants.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,16:30   

I had forgotten about Jerry Don Bauer!  He is right up there with the best of the totally impenetrable creationists.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,16:36   

Over at the  Usual Deceptions website, "Flannery" has written a review of a book written by former BBC producer Roy Davies, entitled "The Darwin Conspiracy - Origins of a Scientific Crime."

"Flannery" begins his UD review in this vein:

" Imagine if you will a rather pathetic little boy oppressed by a domineering father and overshadowed by older sisters assuming maternal roles that directed his every move. Under such conditions it’s not surprising that certain survival strategies would be employed by the boy to establish his place in the family pecking order. Thus it was, according to biographers Adrian Desmond and James Moore, that a young Charles Darwin stole his father’s peaches and plums only to “discover” them later in heroic fashion and would invent “deliberate falsehoods” in order to gain attention. In school he would regale classmates with stories of fantastic birds and remarkable flowers, flowers he could change into different colors. “Once,” write Desmond and Moore, “he invented an elaborate story designed to show how fond he was of telling the truth. It was a boy’s way of manipulating the world.” But what happened when the boy, whose insatiable need for attention never waned, became a man. How might he then manipulate the word? [sic] "

Well.

Imagine a rather pathetic attempt to psychoanalyze a little boy from a time very nearly two centuries removed. Imagine ignoring that the boy in question ... who admitted in his later Autobiography (pages 21-23) to all the hideous crimes of lying cited above ... was all of eight years old when they happened.

Imagine that his mother was an invalid who died right at that time, in that very year. Imagine his father was a distant figure who assigned his daughters to essentially raise his son up to the age of ten. Alert the press. An eight-year-old that just lost his mother MIGHT have wanted attention and so engaged in utterly trivial and harmless instances of fabrication.   

But now imagine a ethically-challenged ID-iot named "Flannery" using bits and pieces of various authors and vapid unsupported speculation to try to forward a laughable thesis that Darwin was  

" Perhaps...  a rather pathetic attention-getter, interested more in fame and facts, worried more about reputation than science, a borrower, a posuer, a cheat..." who  " lied and cheated his way into prominence as the principal discoverer of modern evolutionary theory "

Imagine the stench of ID-level desperation and duplicity, particularly on the website of a man, William Dembski,  who has been caught at lying AS AN ADULT far more times than Darwin ever did -- and has never had the honesty or grace to own up to it.

Yeah, imagine that.

-----------------------------------------------

Now we can turn to the substance of Roy Davies' book that "Flannery" bases his venemous little attack on.

In his press releases and online book-whoring, Roy Davies has stated that his book The Darwin Conspiracy - Origins of a Scientific Crime "uses new research to show that Wallace's first letter from the Malay archipelago to Charles Darwin arrived in London on January 12, 1857 and not at the end of April 1857. "

Here, he goes a bit further:

" Its main premise is the method by which Charles Darwin managed to steal his ideas from articles and personal letters written to him by Alfred Russel Wallace and end up being feted around the world as the man who discovered the theory of evolution. The fact is that Wallace sent the complete theory of evolution to Darwin who had it in his hands for nearly 18 months before publishing On the Origin of Species. My book is based on writings about Darwin, Darwin's own correspondence and new evidence relating to when Wallace's letters to Darwin arrived in England and when Darwin claimed they arrived. And yet there is no one in this country - or, at the moment, in yours - who is prepared even to discuss the book or, it seems, to review it despite the fact that it was 150 years ago this year that Darwin claimed his unearned place at Wallace's table when they were both recognised as the discoverers of the theory of evolution. At least your publication will print letters about Darwin's perfidy. In London even that is not something we can look forward to with any hope."

Sincerely, Roy Davies  http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/19086639.html

So, what is Davies' claim really based on? It's based on an "analysis" of 19th century Dutch mail-boat timetables and schedules analyzed by Femme Gaastra of Leiden University.. To my knowledge, this material is entirely lacking peer-review.

Davies claims that this alone shows "it was Wallace who was the genius and Darwin, 14 years his senior, who was the plodder." and that Darwin stole all the main ideas about evolution from Wallace at this time (1858).

But does he really show this?

Hell no.

At Richard Dawkins' site, this book was discussed -- and Davies showed up to try to defend this notion that timetables alone accurately determined when the mail arrives. http://richarddawkins.net/forum....=t&sd=a

In that thread, you'll see that

(a) Darwin is KNOWN to have written about and discussed his notions concerning Natural Selection long before 1858. He began thinking about it in the 1830's and had completed all the essential parts of it prior to Wallace's formulation.  

(b) Darwin acknowledged his debt to Wallace in the very beginning of the First edition of The Origin of Species.

( C) Roy Davies shows up here and makes some interesting claims

BUT

(d) A poster named "Cinnamon Ape" THEN appears   here
To post this, (quoted in full) :

I hate to say this...but the actual letters that Wallace sent himself indicates that the mail-boats were often weeks, if not months, off schedule. He once wrote a letter from Dobbo to his agent, Stevens, dated March 10th, 1857. Wallace expected the postal boat to arrive in early April, but when he returned it still had not arrived! On that same letter he added a post-script dated May 16th. Stevens apparently received the letter in late September, and as usual, read the communication to the Entomological Society - on October 5th! Most of the letters to Stevens, Sclater, Wallaces' sister, brother-in-law, or to Frederick Bates...took 4-5 months.

Wallace didn't return to Gilolo until the 1st of March and the mail steamer arrived on the 9th. That arrival was late...Wallace had written HW Bates in January while in Ternate in expectation that the postal boat would have arrived while he was away on Gilolo. When the steamer had yet to arrive he enclosed his previously written letter in a package to Frederick Bates (dated March).

"When the steamer arrived on the 9th [April], I was disappointed in not receiving a box from England (due two months)."

Incidents like this were common. The idea that the shipping schedules were at all accurate reflections of actual events is absurd.

Wallace also packaged letters for redistribution through an intermediary when he didn't know the address of the correspondant, or when there was a substantial enclosure (such as a manuscript). In fact, the critical letter to HW Bates was sent to Frederick Bates in just such a manner. And Darwin himself was asked to pass on the Manuscrift of "On the Tendency of Varieties To Depart Indefinitely from the Original Type" in just such a manner to Lyell.

In addition, a close examination of the exchange of correspondance by CD and ARW indicates that there are unpreserved letters from both sides. But from what we do have we see Darwin encouraging Wallace to theorize more about the issue, to look at Blyth's writings, and mentioned he was involved in doing research in order to publish a "big book" on the subject. It was clear that Darwin was also peppering Wallace with questions about odd varieties, both in the wild and domesticated. Wallace was aware that Darwin was writing a species book, and was equally aware that Darwin had discussed the problem of common origin and diversification in his "Voyage of the Beagle" discussion on the Galapagos. The Galapagos example was used explicitly in Wallace's 1855 "Sarawak Paper".

In addition, even in the MSS of 1844/1856 and the Red Notebook of Darwin there are fundamental differences with Wallace's version of the process of Natural Selection and the supportive evidence used. Wallace considered domesticated animals an inappropriate model for "Natural Selection", for one example. It would be odd that Darwin would plagiarise material ONLY where he had already worked out the idea, and ignore the areas where Wallace was "unique".

And as pointed out by Wallace himself, he didn't intend that the MSS be published. Darwin did what he was told by Wallace-giving the MSS. to Lyell...who then was faced with the issue of who had priority. Darwin, who had shown him summaries and sent Mss. describing the theory to others long before Wallace...or Wallace. As "publisher" Lyell would have been bound to recognize the priority of first submission. Darwin was relunctant to accept this solution so for "appearances sake". Thus the joint-publication solution...giving both men credit, while protecting any future challenges to priority from others that may have seen the hints in Darwin's letters, or Voyage of the HMS Beagle (a la Wallace), or Wallace's 1855 essay.

Once published Darwin was free to use Wallace's ideas to clarify his own work. But many of the actual sets of data from Wallace wasn't in his Mss. - Darwin used Wallace's frequent submissions to various journals. And much of what was used from the now-published mss. of Wallace wasn't "Wallacean"...the information was drawn from other published authors.

And Roy Davies suddenly disappears from the board.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 02 2008,21:39   

We really have strayed, passionately, from the topic at hand, which is Uncommonly Dense.  Further discussion of PZ, the Framers, and CrackerGate can be picked up on the BW.

Bathroom wall, by adactio

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,00:44   

bfast doesn't read comments at UD
GEM of TKI, as you know I am another regular on this site, but somehow FSCI has slipped under my rader until now.
Well KairosFocus only mentioned it about 100 times though only few people reacted (see my correction  here)

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,00:53   

BTW, FSCI has been mentioned in that very thread  here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Seems like bfast was afraid to admit that the emperor is naked.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 03 2008,01:20   

sparc - it could be that bFast is trying to get a timely and focussed definition of FCSI from KF.  Or he's just tard-mining.  It's one of the strategies I would employ:try and get a clear definition of some term they have just invented.  You may have let him off the hook.  OTOH, we may get more tard, if KF points to a couple of posts where he has given contradictory definitions.

It's good to see you taking up the mantle of rationality over there again.  Enjoy the fun, and keep away from wMad.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]