RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,02:05   

Heh - BarryA sends UDers over to the Onion and the first commenter doesn't get it:

IRQ Conflict
09/05/2008
9:54 pm

That doesn’t seem like a news site. More like satire.

id.net.au, realising that most IDiots have a near-zero rated sense of humour, rushes in to the rescue:

Hey Barry, this should be filed under “humor” or some of us, who are unfamilliar with The Onion, may get the idea that these people are for real.

A little later DaveT makes a quip about Poe's Law and - sure enough - if you check the URL they really have created a PL category. <irony meter joke goes here>.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,04:50   

Another gem at “The Onion” is “Intelligent Falling Theory” so we can see they are fair and can make fun of everyone.

No, idnet, that would be them making fun of you twice.  And throwing us into the mix, it becomes three times.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,09:51   

An open letter to DaveScot, on the off-chance that he checks this site at times:

Hi Dave,

First of all, I'd like to say thanks for banning me.  I get a little obsessive sometimes about liking to discuss things with people who disagree with me: not only have I spent way too much time at UD lately, but I keep getting sucked in (it's my own fault) to further conversation despite my vows to myself to quit.

But now that I am banned I can quit thinking about posting, and maybe wean myself away from paying any attention to UD at all, freeing my time and mental energy for more productive uses.

Second, I can't believe that you not only banned Ted Davis and me, you also banned Timaeus, an articulate ID supporter, because

After reviewing Timaeus’ last several comments and finding the word “God” in them over 100 times (I stopped counting at 100) I decided he needs to take it to a site where the topic is God.

Dave, did you forgot that the topic of the thread, started by none other than yourself, was a video by AAAS represented the views of theistic evolutionists in response to "Expelled"?

So let me remind you how you opened the thread:

I see all these scientists and science teachers in this video proclaiming they see “God’s Hand” in the universe all day long then in the same breath they say design detection is bogus.

So what exactly do they “see” that convinces them that God’s hand is all over the place? ...

Personally I think these people are either liars who are not convinced they see God all over the place or they are being truthful in becoming convinced of things with no rational evidence  ....

Sorry if I’m offending anyone but these people disgust me. They’re all like “I believe in rational inquiry, science, and bearded thunderers who live in the sky and worry about my immortal soul”. Please. Choose one or the other but not both.

Dave - the topic of the whole frickin' thread was God - did you forget that?

And what did I get banned for?  Let's take a look.

You had written, at post 255,

The entire TE position against ID is that design is not unambiguously detectable in nature.

I replied, at 256,

I don’t believe the general TE position is “that design is not unambiguously detectable in nature” in the sense of there being no possibility of the type of thing you describe.

To which you replied, at 263, after four other people had posted with various comments about God,

The case I proposed to Ted required no supernatural intervention. The claim that ID is all about a supernatural designer is a straw man.

Dave, the remark I responded to was about theistic evolutionists - you know - people who believe in God.  You made a remark about the beliefs of TE's, and then castigate me for believing that maybe the role of God, and possibly supernatural intervention might be part of the topic.  Can you possibly see the contradiction in your behavior here?

So finally, you write, at 265,

Screw this.

Jack Krebs and Ted Davis are no longer with us. Arguing with TE’s is like beating your head against a brick wall.

"Screw this" - the cry of frustration.

I'm going to be blunt here, Dave: your response and actions come off as looking like a petulant little boy, not a mature adult.  Sure, UD is your and Dembski's blog and you can make it your own personal playground if you want.  But as representatives of a movement that preaches "teach the controversy" and "teach the strengths and weaknesses", and that wishes, theoretically, to be taken seriously, you appear to be pretty full-fledged hypocrites, wanting to dish it out but not willing or able to take it when people don't buy what you're selling.

Ted Davis had this to say to you, at 249:

If you folks want more conversations of the kind that have sometimes happened on a few of these threads, you’re going to have to stop “expelling” people who ask good questions and who do not accept the categorizations of their views that are made by some here. ID folks resent it when others miscategorize their own views, and with good reason. That works both ways.

Yep.  

So I'm glad to be gone from UD.  Your site is irrelevant.  The only people who get to post are the ID believers, so you all get to stand around and pat each other on the back about how right you are, protected from any "critical analysis" of your ideas (another ID buzzword that you don't really believe in).  This may be fun, but don't expect it to have anything but a negative impact on the larger world.

And last, a small disclaimer, which I made clear many times: my goal in the thread has been to describe the views of TE.  I am not personally a TE, and I have not been trying to convince anyone that they should be.  

I think the topic is important because, despite your disclaimers, the heart of the ID movement's strategy is to "wedge" people into two groups: those that will accept supernatural explanations as part of science and those that won't, and to throw all of the latter into the materialist-atheist basket.  TE's threaten the very heart of the wedge, and the leaders of the movement know that.

I work with children every day, and it is common to find children who will blatantly lie about something even when presented with direct evidence to the contrary.  It's not so much that they are inherently dishonest, but rather that they are still immature enough to think that if they pretend that they can't see the evidence others can't also.  They have not yet fully learned that adults are not stupid.

The ID movement is like that.  You guys make all these arguments that ID is really about science, and the designers could be space aliens, and yet the bulk of the actions of those in the movement belie that.  No matter how many times you say it is otherwise you can't make it so.

One of my favorite sayings, posted on the wall of my classroom so that students will start to learn, is by Stephen Covey:

You can't talk yourself out of something you have behaved yourself into.

You, individually Dave, as well as UD and the ID movement in general, are judged by your behavior much more than your words.  You would benefit from at least practicing trying to see yourself as others see you (another adult trait): if you do, you might be able to start behaving yourself out of acting in the less-than-admirable ways that you regularly display at UD.

So thanks for kicking me out of the playground, Dave - I'm off to do more productive things with my life.

Jack

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,10:16   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Sep. 06 2008,09:51)
I work with children every day, and it is common to find children who will blatantly lie about something even when presented with direct evidence to the contrary.  It's not so much that they are inherently dishonest, but rather that they are still immature enough to think that if they pretend that they can't see the evidence others can't also.  They have not yet fully learned that adults are not stupid.

A marvellous bit of venting, that. POTW surely?

And the quoted part sums up the entire political process, the culture wars, and pretty much most of the rest of modern life stunningly well.

Unfortunately, Jack, your post will never get thru DaveScot's reality filters. To do that, you need only say "DaveScot as ever you are absolutely right". Not that he'll listen anyway, But hey.

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.
Even the attempt to formulate ID is a generous accommodation." - ScottAndrews

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,10:53   

DaveScot's triple banning of Jack, Ted and Timaeus speaks for itself. Their contributions were respectful, articulate, on-topic, and interesting, and their differences were managed appropriately. No surprise that the department of bannitation stepped in.

But Dave's "screw this" doesn't express the frustration he claims it does.

As I read it, Dave found himself outside a quite high level discussion, unable to find entry. It was his narcissistic frustration over being essentially ignored altogether by obviously sophisticated discussants that prompted this particular triple banning.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,11:07   

I'm going to be blunt here, Dave: your response and actions come off as looking like a petulant little boy, not a mature adult.  Sure, UD is your and Dembski's blog and you can make it your own personal playground if you want.

HA HA THIS IS DAVE AND WMAD

Just don't ask who designed the designer. They don't want to admit it is turtle sandboxes all the way down.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,11:14   

Not that my vote count much, but a loud bravo! to Jack!

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,11:23   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Sep. 06 2008,09:07)
I'm going to be blunt here, Dave: your response and actions come off as looking like a petulant little boy, not a mature adult.  Sure, UD is your and Dembski's blog and you can make it your own personal playground if you want.

HA HA THIS IS DAVE AND WMAD

Just don't ask who designed the designer. They don't want to admit it is turtle sandboxes all the way down.

Dave's just pissed that the sand isn't included.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,12:01   

Quote (Quack @ Sep. 06 2008,11:14)

Thirded

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,12:26   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 06 2008,12:01)

Quote (Quack @ Sep. 06 2008,11:14)

Thirded

Definitely POTW!

The UD echo chamber just lost its last sane commenter. DT rules!

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,13:44   

Quote (PTET @ Sep. 06 2008,10:16)
Unfortunately, Jack, your post will never get thru DaveScot's reality filters. To do that, you need only say "DaveScot as ever you are absolutely right". Not that he'll listen anyway, But hey.

Reality filters?  Don't you mean Ego filters?

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,13:47   

Quote (guthrie @ Sep. 06 2008,13:44)

Both, to be fair.

he can't be wrong, not even reality can do that to him!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,13:55   

Quote (guthrie @ Sep. 06 2008,11:44)

They're one and the same. That's the whole point with Dave.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,17:03   

Yah-hoo - thanks for the PoTW sticker on my parting post to DaveScot.  I'll wear it proudly.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,17:09   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Sep. 06 2008,18:03)
Yah-hoo - thanks for the PoTW sticker on my parting post to DaveScot.  I'll wear it proudly.

It was well earned, Jack.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,20:21   

jack said:

So I'm glad to be gone from UD.  Your site is irrelevant.  The only people who get to post are the ID believers, so you all get to stand around and pat each other on the back about how right you are, protected from any "critical analysis" of your ideas (another ID buzzword that you don't really believe in).  This may be fun, but don't expect it to have anything but a negative impact on the larger world.

I do wonder, sometimes, about the IDers conception of science. Do they think that by chattering in an online echo chamber science will somehow be altered? Do they have not the faintest understanding of science? Do they not understand that there is no scientific revolution without work, experiments, papers, and the conversion of members of the scientific community? That these things are all essential to a scientific revolution, and utterly absent in ID? I'm not the first person to observe that the way they're going about it, even if ID was correct, it wouldn't succeed. It puzzles me to wonder what their conception of the scientific process could possibly be, in which they thought what they were doing was accomplishing anything.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 06 2008,21:16   

It puzzles me to wonder what their conception of the scientific process could possibly be, in which they thought what they were doing was accomplishing anything.

I think it's the same idea that voter participation accomplishes anything.

blah blah blah on some crappy website = going into a booth and pulling a lever.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

George

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,05:40   

The ID movement is like that.  You guys make all these arguments that ID is really about science, and the designers could be space aliens, and yet the bulk of the actions of those in the movement belie that.  No matter how many times you say it is otherwise you can't make it so.

Excellent post, Jack, and spot-on characterisation.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,06:52   

This comment was more appropriate to the Presidential Politics thread, so I put it there.

Edited by Lou FCD on Sep. 07 2008,08:05

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,10:44   

frost, he a jenius.

Frost122585
09/06/2008
9:20 pm
My IQ was tested twice in my life,- 123 in 3rd grade and 133 in 11th grade.

This showed me that IQ can be improved despite what the experts say.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,10:52   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Sep. 07 2008,11:44)
frost, he a jenius.

Frost122585
09/06/2008
9:20 pm
My IQ was tested twice in my life,- 123 in 3rd grade and 133 in 11th grade.

This showed me that IQ can be improved despite what the experts say.

-123 to 133 IS a pretty big swing.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,10:54   

Seemingly, Ben Stein pissed off DO'L.  
That no one thought Palin could achieve this may be inferred from Ben Stein’s early pointed dismissal (which annoyed many fans of Expelled because Palin is not a Darwin hack). In fairness to Ben, he may have mistaken Palin for one of the cackling horde of entitlement/extortion babes who want to play with the boys - by girls’ rules.

On one of her other blogs she writes:      
ID folk should stop promoting Expelled until Stein apologizes for the damage he is doing, implying that Palin supporters are yay-hoos and rubes.
Is EXPELLED still in the theatres?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,10:58   

BTW, did anybody here save a copy of the Warda and Han paper upon mitochondria, body and soul? Proteomics removed it from its web pages and I can't find my pdf copy.
Please pm me if you could send me a copy.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,11:12   

Quote (sparc @ Sep. 07 2008,10:54)
Seemingly, Ben Stein pissed off DO'L.  
That no one thought Palin could achieve this may be inferred from Ben Stein’s early pointed dismissal (which annoyed many fans of Expelled because Palin is not a Darwin hack). In fairness to Ben, he may have mistaken Palin for one of the cackling horde of entitlement/extortion babes who want to play with the boys - by girls’ rules.

On one of her other blogs she writes:      
ID folk should stop promoting Expelled until Stein apologizes for the damage he is doing, implying that Palin supporters are yay-hoos and rubes.
Is EXPELLED still in the theatres?

So, O'Dreary finally figured out that Stein has been playing her for the fool?  She is nothing if not slow. James Dobson and his fellow travellers figured out in 2006 that Bill Frist and the rest of the GOP power brokers were working them. It reminds me off a quote from Garrison Keillor's 2004 tome "Homegrown Democrat."
What bewilders me about Republicans is the coalition of the corporate Bourbon wing of the party and the Bible wing, two groups with little in common, but the Bible wing supplies the votes and the Bourbons take most of the booty.  The Bourbons get tax cuts and deregulation and the Bibleists get a few vague gestures on symbolic issues such as gay marriage and school prayer.  Like the Pharisees, the Bibleists enjoy public displays of religion. A roomful of movers and shakers gathered for a prayer breakfast that is all about bonding, backslapping, hobnobbing, and the prayers are read off 3x5 index cards, and there is a complete lack of heartfelt witnessing as you'd find among people of faith.  At the prayer breakfast, if the Holy Spirit speaks, it is always in favor of tax cuts and less government regulation and preemptive military action.  The Holy Spirit never comes out in favor of anything  without clearing it with the Republican Party.

Congratulations on your (belated) realization, Denyse.  Keep up the good work.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,11:32   

I get a little obsessive sometimes about liking to discuss things with people who disagree with me: not only have I spent way too much time at UD lately, but I keep getting sucked in (it's my own fault) to further conversation despite my vows to myself to quit.
Boy, does this feel familiar.      
I'm off to do more productive things with my life.
This sounds like damn good advice. In the three years I have been following ID, there has only been an inexorable slide into obscurity. That is not going to change. I think a lot of us should consider taking Jack's advice and try being a little less obsessive about the failed political strategy of ID. A "watchful waiting" strategy, perhaps, with a rota?

Also having no real substance to criticise any more* seems to make people irritable.

*Tootsie line "Were you ever famous?"

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,11:53   

I somewhat agree with this. ID ain't what it used to be. It used to be a cheap relabeling of creationism with the possibility of fooling a federal judge. Now it's a cheap relabeling of creationism which didn't fool a federal judge. Its advocates sit around on the internet whining and dreaming up stupid hypotheses and not having any effect on science whatsoever.

UD and TT and EN&V are amusingly stupid and best taken in bite-size pieces, like a rich dessert, but there's plenty of productive things to do, too.

bunjo

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,15:27   

When I was much much younger I had a Toy Post Office. I loved setting up the little toy counter, putting twee letters in tiny envelopes, sticking false stamps on, and cancelling them with a tiny rubber stamp.

I did however realise that it was all make believe.

I think the ID supporters, particularly those posting on UD, are happy playing with their Toy Scientist Kit. They just can't understand why no-one else takes them seriously ("Look! Its got a tiny wee theory and everything!"). Every now and again Dave the Head Post Master gets upset if people won't pretend nicely and stops them playing.

Could explain many things about ID...

--------------
Evolution does not need to be believed in to work, but Religion does.

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,16:10   

The only thing missing from Denyse's thread was the word dittos.

Not anymore.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,16:27   

O'Leary

09/07/2008

12:42 pm

You are all most kind. A Toronto hack has suggested to me that my tack was right because Trig Palin is a fair match for Barack Obama in terms of experience.

noted without comment.

ETA linky

Edited by stevestory on Sep. 07 2008,17:28

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 07 2008,17:14   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 07 2008,16:27)

O'Leary

09/07/2008

12:42 pm

You are all most kind. A Toronto hack has suggested to me that my tack was right because Trig Palin is a fair match for Barack Obama in terms of experience.

noted without comment.

ETA linky

Denyse O'Leary is a third rate hack.  Whether you agree with his politics or not, it should be a matter of common agreement that his impressive resume, culminating in being a major party nominee for President, is proof that, even in the modern America, a person can rise above a disadvantaged start in life to accomplish great things.

But, Denyse cannot resist the cheap shot of comparing Obama disfavorably with a Down's Syndrome infant.  In my opinion, that makes her far more contemptible than crude, but true-to-themselves, people like Davescot.  And frankly, she is hardly one to draw such comparisons.  Her idiosyncratic writing style can be compared, equally disfavorably, to the incoherent babblings of an untreated schizophrenic.

--------------

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]