RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: July 30 2008,23:22   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,July 30 2008,22:52)
Quote (nuytsia @ July 30 2008,22:37)

Quote (Richardthughes @ July 30 2008,08:59)
It's the best song ever. The flat, monotonic delivery, the left footed, quirk meter - a bit like split enz, except horribly, horribly shit. Is there no part of culture ID can't fuck up?

If this was a P-A-R-O-D-Y, I'd be applauding and dothing my tard cap. But this isn't - run this through the EF..

Some nugget came up with it
Some nugget actually recorded it
They listened to it, and rather than auto-euthenising decided to share it.
Dembski listened to it and decided to share it

What long odds of clusterfuckery and assclownery are required that this, erm, 'song' can come to life on teh_interwebs?

Surely this is all part of ID inspiring the arts, that they were banging on about a year or so ago?

If so, things could get very ugly.
This could be the shot in the arm* that christian rock is looking for?

* or should that be nail in the cross?

HAR HAR THIS IS YOO

which one is Nile Rodgers again?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,00:56   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ July 30 2008,23:22)

From left to right:
1. Son of Manilow.  2. Looks sheepish: "You're right, that IS small!" 3. Pretty enough that you better stay away from drugs and out of jails. 4. Seems to have gas.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Wild Bob

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,01:25   

Quote (Richardthughes @ July 30 2008,21:21)
http://www.uncommondescent.com/evoluti....-293305

F2XL

07/30/2008

8:52 pm
Holy crap, when I get the chance I should remix that and post it on ID and the arts.

Just saving up for a Kaoss pad first…

FFXL.... please!

He's going to need a lot more than a Kaoss pad. One little effects processor isn't going to stop my ears from bleeding.

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,05:10   

The flytrap, ironically or not, is one of the organisms that talkorigins.org uses to DEBUNK Irreducible Complexiferity (they wanted a mousetrap, but it was the next best available). Are they taking my name in vain?

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,05:40   

I find it amusing there is only an English version of conservapedia.

Actually, you'll only find American there.  The fact that Wikipedia allows the use of English is one of the signs of its liberal bias.

(I am not making this up).

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,06:49   

Quote (Chayanov @ July 30 2008,21:16)
I'm sure there are other mathematicians out there who would like to pretend that they're scientists, too...

There are and they do.  They're called theoretical physicists.

Oh, sorry, Oleg.  Didn't see you lurking there.  :)

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,07:07   

Quote (dhogaza @ July 31 2008,05:40)

Actually, you'll only find American there.  The fact that Wikipedia allows the use of English is one of the signs of its liberal bias.

You mean people like this:

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,07:55   

Four out of five ain't bad for a red-stater ...

A quick peek at google reveals a startling number of "offical" websites for stuff.

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,08:18   

Quote (Assassinator @ July 31 2008,07:07)

Quote (dhogaza @ July 31 2008,05:40)

You mean people like this:

That's just offal.

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,08:49   

Quote (Bob O'H @ July 31 2008,06:49)
I'm sure there are other mathematicians out there who would like to pretend that they're scientists, too...

Hey Bob,

Denyse thinks that David Tyler* is a physicist.  At that level of resolution you're splitting hairs.  

*Who is David Tyler?

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,09:39   

Quote (olegt @ July 31 2008,09:49)
Quote (Bob O'H @ July 31 2008,06:49)

Hey Bob,

Denyse thinks that David Tyler* is a physicist.  At that level of resolution you're splitting hairs.  

*Who is David Tyler?

He seems eminently qualified to be a leading IDiot.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,09:55   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ July 30 2008,22:52)
Quote (nuytsia @ July 30 2008,22:37)
Quote (Richardthughes @ July 30 2008,08:59)
It's the best song ever. The flat, monotonic delivery, the left footed, quirk meter - a bit like split enz, except horribly, horribly shit. Is there no part of culture ID can't fuck up?

If this was a P-A-R-O-D-Y, I'd be applauding and dothing my tard cap. But this isn't - run this through the EF..

Some nugget came up with it
Some nugget actually recorded it
They listened to it, and rather than auto-euthenising decided to share it.
Dembski listened to it and decided to share it

What long odds of clusterfuckery and assclownery are required that this, erm, 'song' can come to life on teh_interwebs?

Surely this is all part of ID inspiring the arts, that they were banging on about a year or so ago?

If so, things could get very ugly.
This could be the shot in the arm* that christian rock is looking for?

* or should that be nail in the cross?

HAR HAR THIS IS YOO

Damnit, No Stryper before noon--Kona's expensive and doesn't mix with keyboards all that well.

Reposted so others may experience Christian Glam Metal and Coffee Spewage as well.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,13:37   

Too funny:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article....op

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,15:42   

topic closed while i move a bunch of off-topic junk. People are invited to take a look at the title of this thread to better understand what goes here.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,15:49   

Thread reopened.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,16:22   

Quote (deadman_932 @ July 31 2008,00:56)
[quote=Erasmus, FCD,July 30 2008,23:22][/quote]

From left to right:
1. Son of Manilow.  2. Looks sheepish: "You're right, that IS small!" 3. Pretty enough that you better stay away from drugs and out of jails. 4. Seems to have gas.

Heddle - what NASCAR team are these cats from?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,16:33   

Quote (Richardthughes @ July 31 2008,13:37)
Too funny:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article....op

Damn funny.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,16:43   

Quote (stevestory @ July 31 2008,15:42)
topic closed while i move a bunch of off-topic junk. People are invited to take a look at the title of this thread to better understand what goes here.

I struggled mightily to stay on topic, but wretchardthughes had me under some kind of evil mind-meld.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,17:12   

Snitch. in other news, UD's song is still not getting rave reviews...

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,17:25   

It's a slow week for UD, but let's sample the tard on the table.

So... Bill Maher's "Religulous" is due out in a month or so. How about some toast?

Trailers here, or here, interviews are found here (CNN), and here (MSNBC)

How do the IDiots feel about this? Let's see:

Gods iPod (not quite the sharpest knife) says "Awesome!" and opines it will boost sales of "Mere Christianity." How this will happen is left unexplained.

Kliska Shakes his head sorrowfully and says that teh interwebzors is teh "church for the 'New Atheists and that Universities often act as their seminaries." Yes, Kliska -- learning is surely evil. Good thing you avoided that as much as you could.

TomG (sounding amazingly like a sockpuppet) says        
"It is exceedingly easy to make religion look ridiculous. Anyone could do it...Taking that approach in this film may feed into puerile, adolescent anti-religionism...There’s an audience for this kind of thing. Puerile, adolescent…

But do you think it's puerile and adolescent, Tom?

toc Calls Maher "a verbal glut." which has gotta hurt...whatever the fuck it's supposed to mean. As a noun, it would mean he's an overabundance of words. Clever, toc.

StephenB Theorizes that

When a man makes fun of religion, it is almost always a sign that he has surrendered his reason to his passions. Ruled by his glands, he strikes out at any belief system that asks him to deny himself.

Yes, whenever a man makes fun of religion it must mean that. Good thing you're ruled by your glans, Stephen... I mean, NOT ruled by your glanDs.

There's  more to be tasted, a smorgasbord of crackery goodness at Unctuous Delicatessen

--------------

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: July 31 2008,21:21   

StephenB at UD is one of he people that I've discussed issues with.  I always like it when people such as Stephen post things that reveal a background glimpse of where they are really coming from.  Here's a post from Stephen, in its entirety, for posterity:

Good grief, where is Bill Maher’s imagination? For an omnipotent God, handling a billion daily prayers is child’s play. What about the really big problems that require not only heavy quantitative lifting but also infinitely precise qualitative formulations and value judgments that cannot tolerate even the smallest margin of error.

Imagine the challenge of doing prophecy or deciding whether a given soul is to be saved or damned. Unless God understands and factors in all of our thoughts, words, deeds, and intentions in conjunction with everyone else’s thoughts, words, deeds, and intentions; unless he considers all mitigating factors, including biological, psychodynamic, environmental, and habitual influences; unless he can calculate the individual’s impact on the world and the world’s impact on the individual at every sociological level; and unless can tie it all together with a full awareness of all possible combinations and permutations, he could neither predict the future nor pass final judgment on even one soul. If God can miscalculate the severity of even one temptation or slightly overestimate an individual’s capacity to overcome it, he is liable to send some poor slob to hell by mistake.

As it turns out, God has already passed a test that is of a similar texture. The Old Testament offers some 459 prophecies concerning the coming of the Messiah, all of which were fulfilled in time/space/history. All were independent events, including, among other things, forecasts about his place of birth, specific events in his life, and the conditions under which he would die. That requires a great deal more intellectual firepower that simply absorbing a few billion prayers. Bill Maher needs to raise the bar much higher.

Does God really do all that when he decides who is to be saved?  Does the Bible really contain 459 fulfilled prophecies.  Does anyone really believe this?  (Obviously StephenB does.)

It is no wonder that arguing about the nature of science, or about theological positions that accept science, is a lost cause with such people:  at the heart of their belief system is this conscious, calculating God whose main concern is this personal interactive relationship with mankind and ultimately this final judgment of eternal salavalion or damnation.  The rationality of science and the possibility of spiritual beliefs that are compatible with science are antithetical to the God that Stephen believes in.

Quite revealing.

themartu

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,04:30   

God is a Server says JDL

I really like his argument that it is ridiculous that God could listen to and respond to all our prayers at once.

After all who could ever imagine an entity, which for sake of discussion we will call “server”, that could possibly have enough memory and information throughput that many smaller less powerful entities, who for sake of discussion we will call “clients”, could carry on what seems like ( to the clients ) simultaneous conversations.

What a ludicrous concept.

Finally someone explains organised religion in a way I can understand 3 tier architecture. God is the database tier, receiving requests from, processing and sending messages to, the middle tier, the business layer, his priests who a add a layer of abstraction between the client, us, and the data and processing rules. This very flexible model has advantages one the greatest being:

By adding many different middle tiers one is able to change the 'business rules' for the database, hence we have some priests telling their flocks being gay is Ok, others it's bad. The database can stay the same but by slightly modifying the business layer we can send different messages to the clients, this must be why a long time ago clients had different opinions on things as to now, you know things like slavery, capital punishment, kings ordained by the database, that sort of thing.

But also problems by far the worst being:

How do we know what is the 'correct' business layer and hence the 'correct' message from the database? As long as no exceptions are being passed to the clients from the business tier all messages are equally as valid. It's a tricky one.

But I have a few questions too:

1) How does the God database handle deadlocks?
2) How do we roll out upgrades without kicking everyone off the the God database?
3) What OS is it running on?
4) What search criteria should we use to find the entry in the database that says 'My greatest prophet will wear fantastic sweaters'?

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,06:45   

I really liked the following part in bFast's post concerning the origin of life:
am saying that if scientist can create life in a lab, if they limit themselves to an environment that is likely to have existed in the primordial earth, and if they limit themselves to injecting the amount of information that chance alone would realistically achieve (especially if they inject no information at all), then science would have established that self-generating life is a reasonable possibility. This would falsify the ID based hypothesis that self-generating life is not possible.

Wow, gimme some of thát, a quick shot of information makes getting my Bachelor a lót easier.

PS: Yay, my first real contribution in the UD threads.

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,07:03   

Hmm. Given that a whole planet full of chemicals sitting there doing chemically things for quite a few million years probably contains quite a bit of "information" and a lot of opportunity for chance, I'd say cramming all that into a test tube in a laboratory would be quite a formidable task.

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,07:23   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Aug. 01 2008,07:03)
Hmm. Given that a whole planet full of chemicals sitting there doing chemically things for quite a few million years probably contains quite a bit of "information" and a lot of opportunity for chance, I'd say cramming all that into a test tube in a laboratory would be quite a formidable task.

I'm more amazed by the fact that according to bFast, apperantly, they managed to A: set a definition of "information" B: find out that it's a real object and not an abstract term and C: then actually distill this out of...whatever and all without getting Nobel Prize's or even getting noticed by science.
O wait, there are no publications or anything that actually shows they can actually do that!

What a suprise! bFast has such a vivid imagination.

Advocatus Diaboli

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,08:22   

Kairosfocus: PS: I must note that I am rather uncomfortable with the level of language used in the OP and its headline.

You're not alone. It was - after all - written by O'leary.

--------------
I once thought that I made a mistake, but I was wrong.

"I freely admit I’m a sociopath" - DaveScot

"Most importanly, the facts are on the side of ID." - scordova

"UD is the greatest website of all time." stevestory

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,08:29   

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Aug. 01 2008,08:22)
Kairosfocus: PS: I must note that I am rather uncomfortable with the level of language used in the OP and its headline.

Hey, Denies uses plenty of language. We're just not sure which one.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,09:32   

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Aug. 01 2008,09:22)

He needs to touch base with batshitinsane77 and get a copy of that nanny filter.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,09:55   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Aug. 01 2008,09:32)
Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Aug. 01 2008,09:22)

He needs to touch base with batshitinsane77 and get a copy of that nanny filter.

BA77's nanny filter is unreliable.  In this comment, he manages to get the word "model" by the filter without the normal "^" in the middle.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 01 2008,10:01   

I don't understand what bfast wants to tell me:  
sparc, you are putting words into gpuccio’s mouth. You suggested that his claim that antibody generation is “engineered” is equivelant to saying that random variation is an intelligent process. This is a poor inference. If one can show that engineers use random processes than one can demonstrate that random processes are used by engineers. I would suggest that the random orbital sander is an excellent example of exactly that. As engineers clearly implement randomness as a component of their processes, when we see a “turn on random generator” phenomenon in nature, we can conclude that there is no inconsistency between nature and the metaphore of human-engineered technology.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]