RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 905 906 907 908 909 [910] 911 912 913 914 915 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 22 2008,23:53   

Quote (Lou FCD @ April 23 2008,05:21)

Quote (k.e.. @ April 22 2008,22:10)
Lunatic Fundy Suicide Head Butter,

The Moon always gets such a bad rap.

Who decided it was OK to blame the moon for the ...erm... loonies?

According to J. Campbell in his book

Oriental Mythology    
The Masks of God, Volume II

The moon was the primary symbol of early goddess myth based agricultural societies in the Levant prior to the rise of Bronze Age genocidal warrior cattle herders who founded monotheistic based religious myths that surprisingly killed off all other belief systems..and their followers.

The Moon was associated with the growing cycle and fertility thus signifying the feminine, dark moods & hysteria, multiplicity of states of being and complex regularity.

The Egyptians God Kings ditched the Moon and made the Sun their totem signifying optimism, simplicity and the one true God, no others need apply ( we have swords and dangly bits so get off our pillows).

Naturally Moses liked that bit, plus he got a kick ass grip on the minds of the group which serves all the Abrahamic myth based theologies (Islam, Judaism, Xanity) right down to today. I just hope I'm not in the firing line when they push the big red one to decide who has the bigger dick.

The ancient Egyptian word for sun god was Amun-Ra from which we get our word Amen.
The  Egyptian's believed in a literal living god as well of course and his son was the King of the day. Not unlike GWB in the eyes of Fundygelickals.

What that has to do with lunatic ID nutters I’m not sure.

*edited for slightly more polemic

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,08:47   

Clearly all pretensions that ID is science, or that UD is a site for discussion of that science, have been dropped. Dr. Dr. D has a new post up at UD, entitled "New Website About Atheism". And one of the choir chimes in with this  
I bet that the other side would not advertise a new ID web site! We are not afraid.

So the relationship of atheism to this allegedly scientific debate is what, exactly? And the "other side" is who, exactly?

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,09:00   

Quote (k.e.. @ April 23 2008,00:53)

I was commenting specifically on the etymology of the word.

Edited by Lou FCD on April 23 2008,10:01

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,09:28   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ April 23 2008,08:47)
Clearly all pretensions that ID is science, or that UD is a site for discussion of that science, have been dropped. Dr. Dr. D has a new post up at UD, entitled "New Website About Atheism". And one of the choir chimes in with this    
I bet that the other side would not advertise a new ID web site! We are not afraid.

So the relationship of atheism to this allegedly scientific debate is what, exactly? And the "other side" is who, exactly?

This blog not only advertises ID websites, but positively revels in them, nourishes itself on them, greedily preserves their every quirk.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,10:09   

Quote (Zachriel @ April 23 2008,09:28)

This blog not only advertises ID websites, but positively revels in them, nourishes itself on them, greedily preserves their every quirk.

They are not afraid!

That's why no-one starts on moderation, anyone can start a thread and they don't have a FAQ laundry list of questions they wont answer.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,10:53   

Doesn't DaveTard like the whole "no new body parts.." schtick?

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyng....hp#more

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Reginald Beasley

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,12:00   

I wondered how long it would take them to start complaining about 'Those elitists' that are ruining the film's reception.   Countdown to blaming the poor showing on people not being able to get away from their jobs because they're just so darn hard-working in 3, 2..

oh.

To understand what will happen next for Expelled, ignore the derision of the elite; note whether people “with jobs” go see the film.

Ah the old haves vs. the have-nots, the last refuge.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/expelle....respond

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,12:33   

Quote (Reginald Beasley @ April 23 2008,12:00)
I wondered how long it would take them to start complaining about 'Those elitists' that are ruining the film's reception.   Countdown to blaming the poor showing on people not being able to get away from their jobs because they're just so darn hard-working in 3, 2..

oh.

To understand what will happen next for Expelled, ignore the derision of the elite; note whether people “with jobs” go see the film.

Ah the old haves vs. the have-nots, the last refuge.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/expelle....respond

LET THEM EAT CACK.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,13:17   

roflmao that made me kaka my grits.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:43   

I don't believe Dr Dr Dembski has read the site. I just did, and it is a nicely factual review of atheism - no bias, no spin... it could even turn undecided people toward atheism.

I posted a comment on UD to this effect, but I guess I got put into their reality filter because none have shown up lately.

Leftfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:55   

UDer Nathan, reflecting on the Investigating Atheism website:

I just can’t figure out the point of the site. It doesn’t make arguments for or against and it doesn’t seem to represent one side or the other particularly well. Weird.

Gee, it's not spouting a party line, twisting facts, and quote mining. What's the point of putting that on the Internetz? And bringing it to the attention of the UDenizens?

--------------
Speaking for myself, I have long been confused . . .-Denyse O'Leary

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,16:33   

Charlie 'gets' evolution:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/philoso....-257935

Charlie

04/23/2008

12:04 pm
Allen MacNeill,
You keep forgetting that, while noting the difference between prescriptive and descriptive, we can also note that Darwin wasn’t only making a prediction. He also drew a qualitative conclusion.
The genocide he predicted would increase man’s average evolutionary level.

Calculate your evolutionary level here:

Biped +10 points
Attracted to monkeys -3 points
Gay -99 points
Opposable thumbs +20 points
Accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour + 50

--------------

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,16:45   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 23 2008,16:33)
Charlie 'gets' evolution:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/philoso....-257935

Charlie

04/23/2008

12:04 pm
Allen MacNeill,
You keep forgetting that, while noting the difference between prescriptive and descriptive, we can also note that Darwin wasn’t only making a prediction. He also drew a qualitative conclusion.
The genocide he predicted would increase man’s average evolutionary level.

Calculate your evolutionary level here:

Biped +10 points
Attracted to monkeys -3 points
Gay -99 points
Opposable thumbs +20 points
Accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour + 50

IT'S OVER 9000!

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,17:03   

Quote (k.e.. @ April 22 2008,21:53)
Quote (Lou FCD @ April 23 2008,05:21)

Quote (k.e.. @ April 22 2008,22:10)
Lunatic Fundy Suicide Head Butter,

The Moon always gets such a bad rap.

Who decided it was OK to blame the moon for the ...erm... loonies?

According to J. Campbell in his book

Oriental Mythology    
The Masks of God, Volume II

The moon was the primary symbol of early goddess myth based agricultural societies in the Levant prior to the rise of Bronze Age genocidal warrior cattle herders who founded monotheistic based religious myths that surprisingly killed off all other belief systems..and their followers.

The Moon was associated with the growing cycle and fertility thus signifying the feminine, dark moods & hysteria, multiplicity of states of being and complex regularity.

The Egyptians God Kings ditched the Moon and made the Sun their totem signifying optimism, simplicity and the one true God, no others need apply ( we have swords and dangly bits so get off our pillows).

Naturally Moses liked that bit, plus he got a kick ass grip on the minds of the group which serves all the Abrahamic myth based theologies (Islam, Judaism, Xanity) right down to today. I just hope I'm not in the firing line when they push the big red one to decide who has the bigger dick.

The ancient Egyptian word for sun god was Amun-Ra from which we get our word Amen.
The  Egyptian's believed in a literal living god as well of course and his son was the King of the day. Not unlike GWB in the eyes of Fundygelickals.

*edited for slightly more polemic

What's Joseph Campbell's take on penis sheaths?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,17:04   

Hang on tight, I'm throwing the UDidiots a bone here.

City road networks grow like biological systems at NewScientist.

French and US physicists have shown that the road networks in cities evolve driven by a simple universal mechanism despite significant cultural and historical differences. The resulting patterns are much like the veins of a leaf.

Marc Barthélemy of the French Atomic Energy Commission in Bruyères-le-Châtel and Alessandro Flammini of Indiana University, US, analysed street pattern data from roughly 300 cities, including Brasilia, Cairo, Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, and Venice.

They found that cities' road patterns have a lot in common mathematically, as well as looking similar to the eye.

This should be fun to watch.  I expect a hat tip over there, Dave.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,17:08   

Quote (Lou FCD @ April 23 2008,17:04)

French and US physicists have shown that the road networks in cities evolve driven by a simple universal mechanism despite significant cultural and historical differences. The resulting patterns are much like the veins of a leaf.

Marc Barthélemy of the French Atomic Energy Commission in Bruyères-le-Châtel and Alessandro Flammini of Indiana University, US, analysed street pattern data from roughly 300 cities, including Brasilia, Cairo, Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, and Venice.

They found that cities' road patterns have a lot in common mathematically, as well as looking similar to the eye.

JanieBell should have asked for the hat-tip!

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,17:14   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 23 2008,18:08)

JanieBelle is currently on vacation for the most part.

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,17:37   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ April 23 2008,18:03)

He covered that in "Hero with a Thousand Phalluses."

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,17:38   

Oh, boy.  Angus Menuge posts his impressions of his debate with PZ Myers.  Summary:  I won.

Longer summary:  

1. Angus Menuge says materialism is bad.  
2. Bad!  
3. Did I say materialism is bad?

1. PZMyers said a book about neuroscience is better than the Spatula Brain!  Why does he say that?
2. More brain talk.
3.  Didn't Myers know the debate topic was "Does Neuroscience Leave Room for God"?

Q and A of each other:

"Wishing to expose the way Methodological Materialism can be held indefinitely, no matter what the evidence, I challenged Myers to define what could convince him that materialism was false, pointing out that if all materialist explanations were working or very promising, I could be persuaded that theism was false."

Not realizing that PZ Myers merely requires that somebody show a *reason* to think something exists.
In essence, admission that Menuge has no proof *for* anything spiritual, and carps about why others won't accept his assumptions, how it is discrimination against scientists who want to sneak in said assumptions as part of science.

"I also argued that Myers’ attempt to reduce science to the physically measurable was inadequate, because science postulates theoretical entities that may or may not turn out to be observable."

Yet must have properties determined by their nature, and other properties that are contrary to said nature.
Let us see what Menuge come up with:  first example particles.

Hmmm, look at one that has not been observed - the Higgs boson.  Now if it didn't have well-defined effects, then how would we know one when we saw one?  He then spouts some bullshit that shows he doesn't know quantum mechanics.  Look up Higgs boson, follow some links in Wikipedia, and then tell me that is the same as saying there might be some indetectable nonmaterial something that makes things just so.

"Second, as I mentioned, Myers denied that science is really about truth. I had to wonder why it was so important for him to exclude design from science if all that matters is what works."

Because it doesn't work!  The IDers can't make it work, or else PSCID would be growing, not dying on the vine.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,17:56   

Angus Menuge is one of the worst speakers I have ever had the displeasure to hear.  As I've said before, he advocates the following sort of test for high school science students:

1.  Read the question.
2.  Answer the question.  With anything.
3.  Since that answer may be correct in some universe, it must be counted as correct on the test in this one.
4.  Extra Credit: write materialism sucks on your paper

He would be truly dumbfounding but for the fact that you can rarely extract meaning from his sentences.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,18:00   

evo_materialist seems kind of queer, or at least queer-friendly.

StephenB, you won’t be surprised that I disagree. It may be that, to the extent I care about philosophy, I come from a different philosophical tradition. I certainly don’t agree with you about dualism, since “subject” and “object” seem much more likely to be constructed historically than not. They’re real now, of course, in the sense that we (usually) either experience our world in such terms or talk about our experience as though it conformed to such terms. But they’re not necessarily pre-existing. The world happens to have gotten carved up that way, for (most of) us, now. It could have been carved up a number of other ways.
But dualism has plenty of problems too. When I referred to other ways of knowing, I was thinking not of philosophy but of love, interpersonal relationships, poetry, art, music. My relation to dualism can be expressed in these lines by Jack Spicer:
When I praise the sun or any bronze god derived from it
Don’t think I wouldn’t rather praise the very tall blond boy
Who ate all of my potato-chips at the Red Lizard.
It’s just that I won’t see him when I open my eyes
And I will see the sun.
Things like the sun are always there when the eyes are open
Insistent as breath.
One can only worship
These cold eternals for their support of
What is absolutely temporary.

And later:
The voice sounds blond, sounds tall, sounds blond and tall.
“Goodbye from us in spiritland, from sweet Platonic spiritland,
You can’t see us in spiritland, and we can’t see at all.”

That’s my view of dualism.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,18:13   

Quote (blipey @ April 23 2008,18:56)
Angus Menuge is one of the worst speakers I have ever had the displeasure to hear.  As I've said before, he advocates the following sort of test for high school science students:

1.  Read the question.
2.  Answer the question.  With anything.
3.  Since that answer may be correct in some universe, it must be counted as correct on the test in this one.
4.  Extra Credit: write materialism sucks on your paper

He would be truly dumbfounding but for the fact that you can rarely extract meaning from his sentences.

His talk appears to have drawn heavily upon The Spatula Brain. 'Nuff said.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,20:00   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ April 24 2008,01:37)
Quote (Arden Chatfield @ April 23 2008,18:03)

He covered that in "Hero with a Thousand Phalluses."

Wouldn't that be nice?

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,23:54   

Quote (Venus Mousetrap @ April 23 2008,14:43)

I don't believe Dr Dr Dembski has read the site. I just did, and it is a nicely factual review of atheism - no bias, no spin... it could even turn undecided people toward atheism.

I posted a comment on UD to this effect, but I guess I got put into their reality filter because none have shown up lately.

Rupert Sheldrake told Dempski about that blog.  Dembski was just passing the info along as a courtesy to a fellow screwball.

Rupert Sheldrake is "one of the world’s most innovative biologists".  It says so right here on his own blog.  He's the Isaac Newton of ... erm ... morphic fields and morphic resonance.  Like Dr. Dr. Dempski, he is not allowed to dine in the Baylor cafeteria.

1of63

(Permalink) Posted: April 24 2008,00:07   

Some examples of menuging - this is similar to lusking and egnorance - but with a British accent:

(1) First, I argued that materialism is presumed true before looking at the evidence.

One of a number of strawmenuge, ignores the obvious fact that materialism is presumed because there's no evidence for anything else.

(2) My second main point was that materialism does not have such an impressive track record. I noted that Christian theology, not materialism, played a substantive role in the rise of modern science, by justifying belief in laws of nature and in minds reliable enough to discover them.

Fails to support by example here: such as how the cause and treatment of diabetes were vouchsafed to us by divine revelation or how polio and smallpox were largely eradicated by the devout prayers of the faithful.

Moving closer to the central issue of the debate, I argued that there is considerable evidence against the materialist contention that the mind reduces to the brain.

This is menuging the obvious comment: show us a mind without a brain and you have a case.  

I held up and recommended ... Denyse O’ Leary’s The Spiritual Brain,...

Just a tip, but if you want to be taken seriously it's probably best not to mention the Bag Lady of the Blogosphere.

(3) My third point was to critique the slew of contemporary materialist attempts to explain away religious belief and experience. I noted that a culture of one-way skepticism encourages both a presumption that supernatural religions are false without investigating the evidence for their truth claims,...

...like a 10000 year old Universe, Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden, talking snakes, a perfect, truth-loving God lying to Adam, the Great Flood that wiped out the entire population of the world which must have included millions of innocent children - in other words, the whole menugerie of wild religious claims?  Surely, superior rational Christian theology will have no trouble coming up with the goods as far as evidence for the their truth is concerned.  Of course, faith is something much loftier than petty squabbles about evidence, isn't it?

--------------
I set expectations at zero, and FL limbos right under them. - Tracy P. Hamilton

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: April 24 2008,00:23   

Quote (Lou FCD @ April 23 2008,17:14)
Quote (Richardthughes @ April 23 2008,18:08)

JanieBelle is currently on vacation for the most part.

So which part is on vacation?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Without having looked at the actual study, I'm a bit dubious about the results.  The pictures aren't particularly convincing, beyond, "look, we have interconnected branching with a hierarchical structure of road sizes versus branching and with more or less perpendicular intersections".  I'll grant a degree of similarity with reticulate and rotate venation patterns, but beyond that, no.  Leaf venation represents a delivery and distribution system that converges at one point at one end of the leaf, and in which traffic streams don't cross other traffic streams, but where all traffic turns toward (or away from) the target point.  Some port cities may be similar in having a road system that converges on one distal point, but most cities spread out from a central downtown and have multiple growth axes that relate to multiple exit directions. We've got the gridded cities of North America and a few new foreign cities like Islamabad, some designed spoke and wheel cities, the originally fortified cities, and cities that are constrained by topography in various dissimilar ways. And then we have gingko leaves, and parallel or pennate venation, which don't much match cities.  

But maybe I should just go and read the paper before carping about it.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: April 24 2008,00:55   

Sal haz an IDEA
The next generation of pro-ID students are being persecuted and bullied by the powers that be. Despite this, several of our members are matriculating through the establishment, getting diplomas, getting jobs, becoming medical doctors, getting graduate degrees, getting post docs, getting research positions, publishing in peer-reviewed articles….

Words will be spoken to the powers that be by The Powers That Be about the inefficiency of the powers that be in their persecution.

I expect the powers that be will complain about their persecution by The Powers That Be to The Powers That Be and ask that The Powers That Be are reprimanded.

A Power That Is

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 24 2008,01:59   

Bob is this power responsible for the high proportion of these pro-ID students winding up as engineers?  and hausfrau in BFE, Blue Heronville?

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 24 2008,02:05   

Tard is strong with this one

A star of Expelled, biologist Caroline Crocker, will be making an appearance at:

McLean Bible Church
8925 Leesburg Pike
Vienna, Virginia
12:30 PM
Sunday, April 27, 2008

I hope to meet some of you at Dr. Crocker’s talk!

Holy Hell I wish I could go.

ALL SCIENCE SO FAR

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 24 2008,02:20   

Hey there.  Sit down.  Have a cup of projection.

StephenB is a Tard.

This attempt to “purify” science from religion was introduced by elitist power brokers who want to create a nation of myopic specialists—faithful little worker bees who will follow the party line and avoid the hard questions.

wait I'll fix it.
religion was introduced by elitist power brokers who want to create a nation of myopic specialists

k.e.. does that satisfy the account from shamanism?

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 905 906 907 908 909 [910] 911 912 913 914 915 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]