RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 365 366 367 368 369 [370] 371 372 373 374 375 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2018,18:04   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Dec. 27 2018,15:59)
[quote=LarTanner,Dec. 28 2018,06:41]  
Quote (Alan Fox @ Dec. 27 2018,12:43)

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Dec. 26 2018,18:09)
Over on WJM’s recent OP

hazel says:
December 26, 2018 at 2:12 pm
[removed]
hazel says:
December 26, 2018 at 2:36 pm
[removed]
hazel says:
December 26, 2018 at 3:06 pm
[removed]
hazel says:
December 26, 2018 at 3:09 pm
[removed]
hazel says:
December 26, 2018 at 3:11 pm
[removed]

New UD format seems a bit crap but I appear to be able to vote comments up or down without logging in. Does it work for other avid readers?

Yeesh. That site format may be just the push I need to stay off the UD sauce permanently. For an outfit that purports to be all about design, you might have thought they'd have given some thought to user experience. Had I ever considered donating to UD (for the steady influx of O'Leary News, of course), the new layout would have changed my mind.

On the plus side the new format limits visible comments to a few dozen words, with a 'Read more' link to expand each one. Saves a whole lot of scrolling to get past BS77's c&p entries.

Do you get an "Are you sure?" box if you click "Read more" for Gordon or Batshit?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2018,21:13   

On the plus side the new format limits visible comments to a few dozen words, with a 'Read more' link to expand each one. Saves a whole lot of scrolling to get past BS77's c&p entries.

But do they have a "Read less" button?

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2018,10:17   

Quote (Henry J @ Dec. 27 2018,21:13)

But do they have a "Read less" button?

The more button has been removed.

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2018,10:21   

Ed George
December 28, 2018 at 9:45 am
I really liked the “more button”. There are a couple long winded commenters, one of which has a habit of writing serial comments to get around the limit on the number of links that can be included in a comment. On many instances I prefer to scroll past these comments as I have already read everything of substance they have to say. And I know there are others who feel the same.

Who could he be referring to? :)

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2018,20:24   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Dec. 28 2018,10:21)
Ed George
December 28, 2018 at 9:45 am
I really liked the “more button”. There are a couple long winded commenters, one of which has a habit of writing serial comments to get around the limit on the number of links that can be included in a comment. On many instances I prefer to scroll past these comments as I have already read everything of substance they have to say. And I know there are others who feel the same.

Who could he be referring to? :)

“Now, who could it be? Could it be...SATAN!?!”

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,12:40   

The question is if empathy is not sufficient to make people considerate of others is religion any better? I would suggest not and as evidence I give you our current president, the appalling number of Catholic priests who have abused children in their care and the prominent Evangelical Christians who have fallen short of the moral standards they have so loudly proclaimed.

Is some behavior morally “right” only because some deity is alleged to have decreed it to be so or is morally “right” because it is an intrinsic property of that behavior regardless of what anyone thinks or is it morally “right” because as responsible, intelligent agents we have agreed amongst ourselves that this is how we should all behave towards one another?

From seversky, on barry's idiotic materialist psychology thread.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,14:29   

... and cue Gordo's "is=ought" wall-of-text in 3, 2...

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,17:10   

Yea to Steve_h, who described my situation perfectly in respect to Barry and his torturing babies quesion:

There are two issues here – as there are each time when you ask “is it always evil to torture a baby for pleasure”. You could get two “Yes” or “No” answers simply by asking two questions:
Do you think the holocaust/torturing a child is always wrong/evil? and do you think there is an absolute
external moral standard by which we could answer all such questions.

Most atheists/materialists would probably answer “Yes” to the first and “No” to the second, but you
always insist on a simple “Yes” or “No”. Why is that? After all, you know you are going to spew many words
misrepresenting their views regardless of the answer. A single “Yes” or “No” can only cover one of these
two questions and no matter which one they chose, you will claim that they were answering the other one.

If they answer “Yes”, meaning that they think the holocaust/torture is always evil, you will claim
that they obviously accept an external and objective standard and that they are therefore lying
when they tell you that they do not believe in such a thing.

If they answer “No” meaning only that they don’t believe in an external/objective standard you
know it will look to many people as though the answer concerned holocausts/torture and neither you
nor any of your like-minded regulars here will make any attempt to correct the misunderstanding. Quite
the contrary, because that misunderstanding is exactly the result you want.

If they explain that a simple yes/no answer can not accurately convey their thoughts on these two
separate issues, you will claim they are refusing to give a simple answer to a simple question, or
accuse them of being long-winded, or make up some fresh new way to mispresent them (Eg “This commenter thinks it’s OK for other people to kill/torture people”), or you will delete the answer,
or ban the commenter (or some combination of these)

And if they refuse to play along with your dishonest game you will accuse them of cowardice.

Link

For the record, I got booted from UD for accusing Barry of being a coward because he deleted all the posts of people complaining about his behavior.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,17:23   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Jan. 01 2019,18:10)
]

For the record, I got booted from UD for accusing Barry of being a coward because he deleted all the posts of people complaining about his behavior.

It will not surprise you to know that BS 77 has replied to Steve h with approximately 700 million words.

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,17:46   

Odds on steve_h surviving the thread?

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,18:01   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 01 2019,17:23)
]

It will not surprise you to know that BS 77 has replied to Steve h with approximately 700 million words.

It was hilarious to see "scroll wheel killer" batshit77 beg for Barry to remove the "read more" option button.   :D

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,18:06   

If they remove the "Read more" button, does that mean the reader can see only the first few lines of each reply, even if they wanted to read more? :p

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,19:02   

Here’s why it’s all happening the way it is: Underlying it all is the coffee mug problem: Is nature all there is? In that case, either you and your coffee mug are both conscious or neither of you are. Neither option yields a rational universe for science to study.

News OP.

(Having weird trouble posting links from this phone)

Edited by stevestory on Jan. 01 2019,20:04

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2019,19:06   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Jan. 01 2019,18:46)
Odds on steve_h surviving the thread?

In Joe g math, "not even zero"    :p  :p   :p

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,01:40   

Happy new year.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Lethean

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,03:34   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Jan. 01 2019,18:01)

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 01 2019,17:23)

]

It was hilarious to see "scroll wheel killer" batshit77 beg for Barry to remove the "read more" option button.   :D

It takes a special kind of vanity to believe that not only should everyone else get a full-on whiff of your farts, it would just ruin your day if you couldn't get a proper sniff or two as you scroll by them on the way to see if anyone bothered replying to your latest magnum opus flatus.

--------------
"So I'm a pretty unusual guy and it's not stupidity that has gotten me where I am. It's brilliance."

"My brain is one of the very few independent thinking brains that you've ever met. And that's a thing of wonder to you and since you don't understand it you criticize it."

~Dave Hawkins~

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,12:57   

Irony meter alert. Bornagain, who can find Jesus anyplace, says,

From what little I have read of Eastern mysticism, it is a wishy washy philosophy in which you can read all sorts of faces in the clouds as you can possibly imagine.

Post hoc rationalization at it worst to try to say it in is line with QM, IMHO.

I'll also note that the H in IMHO blows the meter off the scale. :-)

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,13:03   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Jan. 02 2019,07:57)
Irony meter alert. Bornagain, who can find Jesus anyplace, says,

From what little I have read of Eastern mysticism, it is a wishy washy philosophy in which you can read all sorts of faces in the clouds as you can possibly imagine.

Post hoc rationalization at it worst to try to say it in is line with QM, IMHO.

I'll also note that the H in IMHO blows the meter off the scale. :-)

...the H in IMHO blows the meter off the scale...

:D

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,13:43   

And ET slams bornagain. What's that all about???

bornagain77: "From what little I have read of Eastern mysticism, it is a wishy washy philosophy in which you can read all sorts of faces in the clouds as you can possibly imagine."

You need to read more because what you posted has nothing to do with it.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,13:49   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Jan. 02 2019,13:43)

bornagain77: "From what little I have read of Eastern mysticism, it is a wishy washy philosophy in which you can read all sorts of faces in the clouds as you can possibly imagine."

Maybe he’s claiming to be a Buddhist this week?  I think we all know the central tenet of Buddhism is “fuck you, asshole, your position can’t even explain eukaryotes!”.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,14:00   

The kids are fighting at the dinner table again.

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,14:03   

Texas Teach posts

Maybe he’s claiming to be a Buddhist this week?  I think we all know the central tenet of Buddhism is “fuck you, asshole, your position can’t even explain eukaryotes!”.

Good one. LOL

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,15:29   

I'm sure that Batshitcrazy77 is busy with his Google finger, copying and pasting as many references that he thinks support his view. But, if all else fails, he will just quote the bible.

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,16:22   

ET has now told BA, that "There are many who claim that [Jesus's\ “halo effect” is due to the energy radiations of all seven chakras being all on, in-sync ... ie the “Christ consciousness”. And that is the true goal of humanity- achieve that level of consciousness."

That will go over big with BA, I'm sure.

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,16:24   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Jan. 02 2019,16:22)
ET has now told BA, that "There are many who claim that [Jesus's\ “halo effect” is due to the energy radiations of all seven chakras being all on, in-sync ... ie the “Christ consciousness”. And that is the true goal of humanity- achieve that level of consciousness."

Possibly a request to have ET banned?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,16:54   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Jan. 02 2019,17:24)

For years now, Barry's strategy has been, "Ban your Way to Victory".

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 02 2019,16:59   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 02 2019,16:54)
Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Jan. 02 2019,17:24)

For years now, Barry's strategy has been, "Ban your Way to Victory".

And you can’t win with that moron ET on your side.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2019,02:40   

ba77 -
To provide further proof for the reality of morality, the following study establishes the objective reality of morality by showing that ‘Moral evaluations of harm are quote unquote ‘instant and emotional’:

I had an instant and emotional response to this comment, therefore it is an objective reality that ba77's arguments are stupid.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2019,08:14   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Jan. 03 2019,02:40)
ba77 -  
To provide further proof for the reality of morality, the following study establishes the objective reality of morality by showing that ‘Moral evaluations of harm are quote unquote ‘instant and emotional’:

I had an instant and emotional response to this comment, therefore it is an objective reality that ba77's arguments are stupid.

That's an insult to stupid people.

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 03 2019,08:39   

William J Murray turns out to be a quack. His "mental monism" philosophy is a form of mystic New-Ageism whereby if we all just turned our minds to it, we could make reality the way we want it. At least that's how I read him.

Link

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 365 366 367 368 369 [370] 371 372 373 374 375 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]