RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (40) < ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... >   
  Topic: Vox Day: Alpha Fail., Rich veins of untapped Tard< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:13   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,14:04)
Quote (MadPanda @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,12:51)

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,12:45)
lol....no one is going to hell just for having an abortion.

Right.  And you would know this, how, exactly?  And your credentials in this matter would be what, exactly?  (Forgive the snarky tone.  This isn't so different from FL or Biggy claiming to have the right interpretation of scripture, all others be damned.  Just because I LIKE your take on the matter doesn't mean I should just overlook the questions.)

Instead of telling this to us, why aren't you out trying to convince your fellow believers of this?  Because this makes you the first (Christian) pro-birther I've ever heard make this (welcome and encouraging) concession...and there are a whole lot of others who haven't gotten the memo.

I would add that, all snark on my part aside, I do find your commitment to reducing the number of abortions by education and other means of birth control to be more consistent and helpful than the usual noise that results.  Credit where it's due...

The MadPanda, FCD

You are kidding, right? Ftk is absolutely correct in this theological point--and it is broad-based Christianity 101. That is, Christianity teaches that you go to heaven if you have placed your faith in the power of Christ's death to atone for your sins. And if you don't, then you don't. On that there is nearly universal agreement--so much so that that is as good of a working definition of Christianity that you can find.

The consequence of which is:

If you have had abortions and have the aforementioned saving faith, you are saved.

If you devote your entire life to charity yet lack this faith, then you are lost.

The are a lot of details about which have internecine  warfare--such as how the faith is acquired, but on what I just wrote--no disagreement to speak of.  

We must associate with different Christians--because I never heard even one say "if you have an abortion you will go to hell." If I did, I'd be tempted to smack him.

So do I go to hell for abortion or divorce or blasphemy or being really bad at housework?

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:15   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,14:05)
Quote (khan @ Jan. 25 2011,13:01)
Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,13:58)

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,12:50)
what if you have sex with an abortion.  out side of marriage.  while eating shellfish wearing a cotton-polyester blend in the middle of cherokee beans-corn-squash agriculture plot?  

for fucks sake FtK you called people Dahmeresque simply because they have a different aesthetic than you.  own that shit you hypocrite

pull the doobie out and retype that

So you think the biblical condemnations are a piece of shit? Or do you pick & choose which shit you adhere to?

khan, you got about a month of one on one time for me to go into this with you?  In the long run, you don't care...so just let it go.

Don't fuck with me: I've debugged COBOL in hex.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

-JoeG

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:19   

O_o genuinely impressed. I don't know what a COBOL is or what hex does (appart from Prtachettian universe)...

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:19   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,13:05)
Quote (khan @ Jan. 25 2011,13:01)

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,13:58)

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,12:50)
what if you have sex with an abortion.  out side of marriage.  while eating shellfish wearing a cotton-polyester blend in the middle of cherokee beans-corn-squash agriculture plot?  

for fucks sake FtK you called people Dahmeresque simply because they have a different aesthetic than you.  own that shit you hypocrite

pull the doobie out and retype that

So you think the biblical condemnations are a piece of shit? Or do you pick & choose which shit you adhere to?

khan, you got about a month of one on one time for me to go into this with you?  In the long run, you don't care...so just let it go.

If you like we could go into the PM I sent you which you called "interesting" IIRC.

In fact we could spend not months but years talking about the ramifications of that single image and what it means.

But you'd rather talk about anything but. I wonder why.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:21   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Jan. 25 2011,14:19)

O_o genuinely impressed. I don't know what a COBOL is or what hex does (appart from Prtachettian universe)...

Young one. I've been fucking with computers since before you were born. :)

--------------

-JoeG

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:24   

I could tell you about troubleshooting Fibonacci algorithms implemented in core memory.

Actually, I couldn't. I've forgotten it all.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:25   

Quote (MadPanda @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,13:12)

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,13:04)

Right.  And you would know this, how, exactly?  And your credentials in this matter would be what, exactly?  (Forgive the snarky tone.  This isn't so different from FL or Biggy claiming to have the right interpretation of scripture, all others be damned.  Just because I LIKE your take on the matter doesn't mean I should just overlook the questions.)

Instead of telling this to us, why aren't you out trying to convince your fellow believers of this?  Because this makes you the first (Christian) pro-birther I've ever heard make this (welcome and encouraging) concession...and there are a whole lot of others who haven't gotten the memo.

I would add that, all snark on my part aside, I do find your commitment to reducing the number of abortions by education and other means of birth control to be more consistent and helpful than the usual noise that results.  Credit where it's due...

The MadPanda, FCD

You are kidding, right? Ftk is absolutely correct in this theological point--and it is broad-based Christianity 101. That is, Christianity teaches that you go to heaven if you have placed your faith in the power of Christ's death to atone for your sins. And if you don't, then you don't. On that there is nearly universal agreement--so much so that that is as good of a working definition of Christianity that you can find.

If you have had abortions and have the aforementioned saving faith, you are saved.

If you devote your entire life to charity yet lack this faith, then you are lost.

The are a lot of details about which have internecine  warfare--such as how the faith is acquired, but on what I just wrote--no disagreement to speak of.  

We must associate with different Christians--because I never heard even one say "if you have an abortion you will go to hell." If I did, I'd be tempted to smack him.

Heddle, I understand that you can't help it because you're a Calvinist, but since I consider Calvinism to be an immoral doctrine at best, your interpretation of ftk isn't helpful here.

Here you go with the argument from incredulity again!  You have either redefined Christian to mean an incredibly tiny subset of the whole, or you have some heavy-duty blinders on.

There is a reason I refer to your variation of the imaginary friend as a monster, but that's a completely different discussion for another time.

The MadPanda, FCD

Nice try (not really)  but alas there is no Calvinism in my post. Being saved by faith in the finished work of Christ is a doctrine shared by the majority of Christians. Calvinists, non-Calvinists, Protestants, and Catholics.

That's about the third time you used "heddle is a Calvinist" as a blunt instrument. If you want a piece of advice--wait until I actually make an argument from Calvinism before you use it as an argument stopper.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

MadPanda, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:26   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,13:13)
The capitals weren't to be equated with yelling or being upset..lol.  Just a way to respond so it's easy to read who said what.

Somehow I find it difficult to treat that claim credibly.  Can't think why.

Oh, right.  Because I've known too many Christians.  (/Inigo Montoya)  For that matter, I was one until the Biggys and FLs and heddles encouraged me to apply Occam's Chainsaw a bit more broadly.  But that's off topic.

I ask again--why should I take your interpretation of this matter more seriously than that being pushed forward by so many of your co-religionists?

The MadPanda, FCD

--------------
"No matter how ridiculous the internet tough guy, a thorough mocking is more effective than a swift kick to the gentleman vegetables with a hobnailed boot" --Louis

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:27   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 25 2011,12:44)
Where Why does one even start?

FTFY

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:30   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Jan. 25 2011,19:27)
Quote (Louis @ Jan. 25 2011,12:44)
Where Why does one even start?

FTFY

Rem acu tetigisti.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:31   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,12:00)
Off Topic, and mostly for my pal Richard Hughes:

my son (who is autistic) on youtube.

You can bump this proud daddy to the BW, but he will not be deterred!

*STANDS AND APPLAUDS*

Simply fantastic! I hope it brings him great joy to play it. What a gift! Tell him I think he's a star.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:31   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,13:00)

nice!

that's quite a memory.  although i haven't tried to memorize a piano piece in years, i am pretty sure that faculty is shot to shit.  for one, improvisation destroyed it.  and college.  post moar!

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

MadPanda, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:33   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,13:25)
Nice try (not really)  but alas there is no Calvinism in my post. Being saved by faith in the finished work of Christ is a doctrine shared by the majority of Christians. Calvinists, non-Calvinists, Protestants, and Catholics.

That's about the third time you used "heddle is a Calvinist" as a blunt instrument. If you want a piece of advice--wait until I actually make an argument from Calvinism before you use it as an argument stopper.

Sorry, heddle, but mercy is for the merciful.  Your opinion on these matters is well known, as is your affiliation.  And since, in my opinion, your opinions on these matters come from your particular denomination's interpretation, I will continue to refer to this fact.  

If you feel I have misrepresented or misquoted you, of course, I would expect you to point it out...but let there be no misunderstanding--you are a Calvinist, as you have said so yourself many times.  It is hardly unfair of me to refer to you as such.

Since nobody is forcing you to read my posts, nor to respond to them, you might as well simply ignore them.  It isn't as though I have any plans of trying to change your mind.

The MadPanda, FCD

--------------
"No matter how ridiculous the internet tough guy, a thorough mocking is more effective than a swift kick to the gentleman vegetables with a hobnailed boot" --Louis

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:34   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Jan. 25 2011,14:19)

COBOL is the mainframe computer language that most of your shit still runs
HEX is hexadecimal which most stuff still runs along with octal and binary
Did I mention I'm old & vulgar?

--------------

-JoeG

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:35   

well, you are a Dahmeresque sub-human.  we have that on good some kinda authority

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:36   

Quote (MadPanda, FCD @ Jan. 25 2011,13:26)
The capitals weren't to be equated with yelling or being upset..lol.  Just a way to respond so it's easy to read who said what.

Oh, right.  Because I've known too many Christians.  (/Inigo Montoya)  For that matter, I was one until the Biggys and FLs and heddles encouraged me to apply Occam's Chainsaw a bit more broadly.  But that's off topic.

I ask again--why should I take your interpretation of this matter more seriously than that being pushed forward by so many of your co-religionists?

The MadPanda, FCD

Who's asking you to?  I'm long past the point of carrying whether people believe me or not.  Did years ago, but really doesn't matter much to me anymore.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:37   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,14:25)
Quote (MadPanda @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,13:12)

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,13:04)

The MadPanda, FCD

Heddle, I understand that you can't help it because you're a Calvinist, but since I consider Calvinism to be an immoral doctrine at best, your interpretation of ftk isn't helpful here.

Here you go with the argument from incredulity again!  You have either redefined Christian to mean an incredibly tiny subset of the whole, or you have some heavy-duty blinders on.

There is a reason I refer to your variation of the imaginary friend as a monster, but that's a completely different discussion for another time.

The MadPanda, FCD

Jesus god fucking shit: we all know that yiu are a Calvinist and that most of us are going to burn in hell for eternity:
BTW: do you still lust for the ignorant fuck Palin?

--------------

-JoeG

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:42   

Quote (MadPanda @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,13:33)

Sorry, heddle, but mercy is for the merciful.  Your opinion on these matters is well known, as is your affiliation.  And since, in my opinion, your opinions on these matters come from your particular denomination's interpretation, I will continue to refer to this fact.  

If you feel I have misrepresented or misquoted you, of course, I would expect you to point it out...but let there be no misunderstanding--you are a Calvinist, as you have said so yourself many times.  It is hardly unfair of me to refer to you as such.

Since nobody is forcing you to read my posts, nor to respond to them, you might as well simply ignore them.  It isn't as though I have any plans of trying to change your mind.

The MadPanda, FCD

No you haven't misquoted me or insulted me or anything of that nature. Nor have you been unfair, per se. What you did was argue ad hominem. "Heddle is a Calvinist" is not relevant when the point I am making has nothing to do with Calvinism. For example, we can ask FtK (whom I do not believe is a Calvinist) if she agrees with my working definition of Christianity--that salvation comes from having faith in the work of Christ to atone for your sins. For crying out loud, you could ask Wes. Actually you could ask anyone who has studied Christianity for more than 15 minutes.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

MadPanda, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:43   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,13:36)
Quote (MadPanda @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,13:26)

The MadPanda, FCD

Who's asking you to?  I'm long past the point of carrying whether people believe me or not.  Did years ago, but really doesn't matter much to me anymore.

So you are unable to answer the question.  I see.  Thank you.

Next contestant, please...

The MadPanda, FCD

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:50   

Quote (MadPanda, FCD @ Jan. 25 2011,13:43)
Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,13:36)
Quote (MadPanda @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,13:26)

The MadPanda, FCD

So you are unable to answer the question.  I see.  Thank you.

Next contestant, please...

The MadPanda, FCD

I don't even know what matter exactly you are talking about at this point?  Be specific.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:53   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,19:42)
Quote (MadPanda @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,13:33)

The MadPanda, FCD

No you haven't misquoted me or insulted me or anything of that nature. Nor have you been unfair, per se. What you did was argue ad hominem. "Heddle is a Calvinist" is not relevant when the point I am making has nothing to do with Calvinism. For example, we can ask FtK (whom I do not believe is a Calvinist) if she agrees with my working definition of Christianity--that salvation comes from having faith in the work of Christ to atone for your sins. For crying out loud, you could ask Wes. Actually you could ask anyone who has studied Christianity for more than 15 minutes.

That includes me then. Can we not but say we did?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:53   

*pulls pants up to nipples*

GERROFF MY LAWN YOU FLAMERS.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

MadPanda, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,13:54   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,13:42)

While I did not intend to ad hom you, I will admit the possibility that I did so.  I intended that to be descriptive rather than dismissive--there are some lines of argument one must expect from a Calvinist, and you run true to form.  That I find your arguments less than convincing is not the same as saying that I expect, say, ftk to agree with that assessment.  You do, however, use slightly arguments than, say, a Jesuit would.  Hence the repetition.

Why do you assume I don't know anything about Christianity, exactly?

The MadPanda, FCD

--------------

MadPanda, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,14:02   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,13:50)
I don't even know what matter exactly you are talking about at this point?  Be specific.

Why?  You aren't interested in answering an honest question.  And if you're not interested, I'm certainly not going to force you.

But since you want me to be specific:

Committing a murder will get someone sent to hell, right?

And abortion is murder, yes?

But an abortion will not get someone sent to hell...even though it's murder, and even though a lot of other Christians say that it will.  (Heddle's incredulity aside, he doesn't speak for every possible sect, and frankly his 'common ground' is a bit like describing Led Zepplin's farewell concert as four guys on stage playing instruments.  Accurate but not quite complete.)

So the question is, even though I find your interpretation a refreshing change of pace, why should I take it seriously?  Why is your interpretation better than, say, the Pope's?  Jerry Falwell's?  Joel Osteen's? FL's?

The MadPanda, FCD

--------------

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,14:10   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 25 2011,13:31)

*STANDS AND APPLAUDS*

Simply fantastic! I hope it brings him great joy to play it. What a gift! Tell him I think he's a star.

Thanks Rich (and Erasmus, and others).

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,14:11   

for shit's sake i hardly know any christianists of any stripe who think you are going to hell because you have an abortion.

they already think you are going to hell because you refuse to accept their god.  

or, in other cases, because their god chose sides pre-dawn-of-time and, well, you lost.  so fuck off, in the cosmic eternal sense.  and for fuck's nuts don't go buggering THOSE blokes about free will.  jesus that is one of the most boring conversations ON.THIS.EARTH

so who cares.  this bullshit is about the aesthetic preferences of FtK and Heddle who believe that anyone who thinks that aborted fetuses <= bacon is a "Dahmeresque sub human" or "something like PZ Myers" or something like that.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,14:13   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,15:10)

*STANDS AND APPLAUDS*

thanx for posting it.  maybe not his style, but does he play Teh Joplin?

--------------

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,14:13   

I always wondered, is Calvinism somehow linked to Calvin and Hobbs?

If so, where do I sign?

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,14:14   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Jan. 25 2011,14:13)
Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,15:10)

*STANDS AND APPLAUDS*

thanx for posting it.  maybe not his style, but does he play Teh Joplin?

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,14:19   

Oh Yes, and could you get him to play You Got What I Need.  i love that piano part.  And also, Truck Driving Man.  and some shit by oasis.  aaaaah

--------------

1187 replies since July 31 2008,17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (40) < ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]