RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (14) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >   
  Topic: Avocationist, taking some advice...seperate thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2006,07:29   

Puck,

Since a deck of cards could randomly exist in any order at all, then there is no way to determine that the deck is "stacked".  It could have been shuffled properly, and still wound up in that order.  You might assume that I am cheating, because I got 4 Aces on the first draw....but you couldnt actually know that I was cheating.
Sure, with four aces you couldn't tell. But with sufficent levels of unlikelihood, one comes to the conclusion a thing was not random. And the ID proponents, in their arguments, always acknowledge that you cannot prove in any absolute sense that something or other could never have occurred. But when evolution as a whole relies on a large number of very fortuitious events, but insists on retaining the random and unplanned explanation, it does raise the incredulity quotient.

Hmmm, thats not what Dembski says, he simply says that if the pattern of numbers is complex enough, that it proves design.  I do not believe that Dembski has any new relationship with respect to biological organisms.  He simply calculated that their chance of existence was too rare to be random.
You answer indicates there is some history to this question that I am unaware of. I simply answered as best I could within CSI framework. I do not know what Dembski means by a pattern being complex enough, but his thing is complex and specified information; therefore the information must be tied to some kind of meaning such as DNA code.

I will not be writing Dembski for math explanations! Algebra is all I have gotten to. And don't be supposing I remember it.

The reason you think that Miller is a confused IDist is because you confuse ID(philosophy) with ID(science).  Miller actually believes in ID(philosophy).
Supposing one day we have a real theory of everything. Now, if it is just a physics theory, and it might be, perhaps it won't really explain what underlies this universe we find ourselves in. But a true theory of everything should include any fundamental knowledge such as the cause of nature. So if that fine day comes, we will not have philosophy and science in separate realms. It is only our ignorance that causes them to appear separate.

Dawkins believes there is only matter and it organized itself into this universe and these life forms without any outside agency or cause. Miller believes in a transcendent God of great intelligence who is the cause of nature and who intervenes on the quantum level, and even appoints a vicar to oversee his salvation project. The only argument between Miller and Behe is the amount or placement of interference. Behe does not see how the forces of chemical reactions can account for certain complex systems, and Miller does. Behe does not believe that every roll of the dice is predetermined. He believes in a certain amount of chance, even in evolution. So Behe and Miller draw the line in a different place. It is an important argument, but not a fundamental one.

I guess I am not a Buddhist. I find much in buddhist literature extremely useful, but ultimately enigmatic and vague. Perhaps that is good in a way, from a spiritual point of view, since a great impediment to knowing God would be the false notions that people carry. Buddhism is a great cleansing approach.

There is no reason to suppose that God goes against the laws of nature at any time. Unless by going against them, one simply means that God might act in the same way that we act - to bring about a result that would not occur if he had not acted. Cars do not construct themselves, houses do not build themselves but neither does it go against the laws of nature when we do build them.

Why do you people think that it is so obscene that chimps and humans are related?
What people!?
You have completely misread what I said. I clearly stated that the whole chimp problem hardly interests me. When did I say it was obscene? Yes, I think that for argument purposes, the similarities are exaggerated, and when the fray settles, I don't believe the similarity will be 99%. It think the truth is closer to 95%. I am going to say more about this when I get the chance to answer Russell, perhaps tomorrow.
I can't speak of a rottweiler and pomeranian evolving because they didn't. They are a domesticated species and we have exploited that to the max. This is a good illustration of the variety that some species are capable of without even beginning to violate the species barrier. Some genomes are apparently more capable of variety than others. Yes, of course those two dogs are far more similar than we are to chimps! Their general dogginess is not in dispute. Of course we are close to chimps - but nonetheless we are very, very different. It doesn't matter if it was ten genes that made the difference - the difference is both profound on the one hand, and less than for all other species on the other.  I believe I recently read it is estimated to be 35 million base pairs. whatever percent that comes to, so be it.

Zheano (Jeannot) I think your post you should take to Davison's blog because while he made some insult according to his custom, he should actually answer it.

GCT,
Aren't there places in the world where shorelines have been altered and "designed" in order to protect natural habitats as well as human habitats?  Do you think that you or Dembski could walk along those shorelines and tell us what parts were designed, or pick out the "hallmarks of design" in those shorelines?
No one is arguing that such subtle forms of design are detectable. ID focuses on very complex systems, nothing like shorelines.

Contrary to what you said, how could one accept design and not accept god?
I agree but my argument was that belief in god does not automatically mean one accepts ID. But belief in ID is difficult to reconcile with no God, you are right about that.

The fact is that equations are what they are.
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that in a mathematical sense. I simply meant that a universe with God is a very different one than without.

In order to know that we live in the best of all possible worlds, one has to know what all possible worlds there are and then have some quantitative measure of determining that this one is the best.
Yes, but the arguments of a book like Nature's Destiny is that there is not another possible world, not one that can work anything like as well as this one.  
If you think that "random" automatically means "no god" then you are wrong.
Well, that is pretty much the way I take it. Now, if you take it that there was an initial setup so that the laws of nature would tend to lead to life, but that the process was random like a roll of the dice or perhaps like our weather, then I would not really consider that random. And even if a lot was left to chance, it is hard to imagine a highly intelligent God who can have made such a setup and yet not had a pretty good idea of what sort of life forms, and ultimately human-like intelligence would result. Was Miller's God totally surprised at the emergence of man? Did he say, Oh My, look at this!

If Dawkins is right or you are right, how will you figure that out with science?
It seems Alan Fox on another thread said that there is no developmental plan. I may have misunderstood him. He was saying that DNA codes for protein and that is all it does. Now, this was one of the main points in the infamous Meyer paper. We don't know a lot about how the body plans get realized in embryonic devlopment. He calls them epigenetic factors. I find it odd to simply state that there is no plan. I do think that science will ultimately prove whether species are capable of mutating into new species, and whether they are capable of generating new body plans in the ways described by Darwinian evolution.
Also, I'd really like to know how if we all came to some realization that god exists that reality would somehow be altered.
It would mean everything and nothing at all.

Now, I might start to get a little offended.  I'm offended that you think you can twist the arguments around and not have me notice.
It was YOU who said that evolution is atheistic.  Now, you say that people can believe in god and accept evolution?
Of course they can. We have Puck, we have Miller, and a couple of others here who confessed to belief in God. But ultimately, it can never, really, really be the same evolution that Dawkins thinks of.

What is also bizarre is the fact that you somehow think reality is different depending on whether one believes in god or not.  Do objects fall at different speeds depending on god belief?  Are the similarities between chimps and humans at different percentages based on one's god belief?  Does light travel at different speeds based on god belief?
Well, belief doesn't change reality. But reality itself is different if there is a God. The only difference belief in God would make to one's reality is that perception would be somewhat deepened, depending upon how much intent you focus upon it.

I have not maligned evolutionary biologists as hopeless egomaniacs simply because I have pointed out that ego is an impediment to objective argument and slows down the progress of truth. I am not picking on any particular persuasion of humanity.

but I'm also not upset by the thought that we share a common ancestor with apes.  But, your explanation seems to say that since we are all made up of "star stuff" that Sol is also one of our cousins.
I couldn't possibly care less that we/if we have a common ancestor with apes. I think all life is one life, and all beings have consciousness. Their bodies do not disgust me, nor even their lack of human intelligence, although I do not want to trade mine in. I admire animal intelligence.

The inanimate realm provides the substructure upon which the animate realm depends, and everything, animate and inanimate, is built up of the same elements, and the elements are of the same particles - the bible says we are made of dust and somehow that is better than being made of chimp? As I said to Artist in Training, we are all made of light, this whole cosmos, so who cares about chimps?

I'm not sure what you mean by "We are the gods of this planet and it's time we start acting like it."  What in the world does that have to do with science?
No matter how you want to interpret it, we are in charge here and we are head and shoulders above the other life forms, because of our intelligence. It is a quantitative difference, but not a qualitative difference.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2006,08:00   

Quote (avocationist @ Mar. 01 2006,13:29)
No one is arguing that such subtle forms of design are detectable. ID focuses on very complex systems, nothing like shorelines.

Do you honestly think that designing a shoreline is subtle and non-complex?  And, why can't the IDers detect the design of that?  If they can't detect that, then why do they think they can detect design in something that already has been explained by evolution?
I agree but my argument was that belief in god does not automatically mean one accepts ID. But belief in ID is difficult to reconcile with no God, you are right about that.

I'm glad you are finally admitting that evolution is NOT atheistic.  We can at least get that out of the way.  So, since it isn't atheistic, why can't you accept evolution and still believe in your god?

Also, if one must believe in god in order to hold a belief in ID, how exactly is that scientific?
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that in a mathematical sense. I simply meant that a universe with God is a very different one than without.

How?
Yes, but the arguments of a book like Nature's Destiny is that there is not another possible world, not one that can work anything like as well as this one.

And that is a specious argument for a couple reasons.  One, it's entirely possible that there are other worlds, or other universes that could create worlds with life.  Two, their definition of the best world is based on an Earth bias.  Three, (and this is a religious objection) why couldn't your god create a more perfect world?
Well, that is pretty much the way I take it. Now, if you take it that there was an initial setup so that the laws of nature would tend to lead to life, but that the process was random like a roll of the dice or perhaps like our weather, then I would not really consider that random. And even if a lot was left to chance, it is hard to imagine a highly intelligent God who can have made such a setup and yet not had a pretty good idea of what sort of life forms, and ultimately human-like intelligence would result. Was Miller's God totally surprised at the emergence of man? Did he say, Oh My, look at this!

And, like I warned you ahead of time, you are wrong.  Random from the scientific sense means that we can't determine or predict the exact time, location, etc. of the mutations that will occur.  We can also discern no plan.  It's non-causal.  That doesn't have any implications when it comes to god belief.  One is free to hold a non-belief in god and decide that it all happened naturally.  One could believe that god set up the initial conditions and let everything run on its own.  One could believe that god makes all the mutations happen and has a specific plan for letting things play out a specific way.  We just can't determine which, if any, of those is correct through scientific means.  So, we call it random.
It seems Alan Fox on another thread said that there is no developmental plan. I may have misunderstood him. He was saying that DNA codes for protein and that is all it does. Now, this was one of the main points in the infamous Meyer paper. We don't know a lot about how the body plans get realized in embryonic devlopment. He calls them epigenetic factors. I find it odd to simply state that there is no plan. I do think that science will ultimately prove whether species are capable of mutating into new species, and whether they are capable of generating new body plans in the ways described by Darwinian evolution.

This is your answer to how you can tell whether Dawkins or you are right about god through science?  Please.  Either way, science can not determine if humans are here by some plan, as I explained above.
It would mean everything and nothing at all.

This answer meant nothing at all.
Of course they can. We have Puck, we have Miller, and a couple of others here who confessed to belief in God. But ultimately, it can never, really, really be the same evolution that Dawkins thinks of.

So, you reject the notion that Miller is a confused IDist?  Good.  We've made some progress.

As for versions of evolution, as far as the science goes, it IS the same for Dawkins as it is for Miller and Puck.  Their philosophies differ, but the science does not.
Well, belief doesn't change reality. But reality itself is different if there is a God. The only difference belief in God would make to one's reality is that perception would be somewhat deepened, depending upon how much intent you focus upon it.

How is reality different if god exists?  God exists or doesn't, correct?  If we learn that god doesn't exist, does that change the reality of the world we were living in that didn't have a god?  If we learn that god does exist, does that change the reality of the world we were living in that did have a god?
I have not maligned evolutionary biologists as hopeless egomaniacs simply because I have pointed out that ego is an impediment to objective argument and slows down the progress of truth. I am not picking on any particular persuasion of humanity.

But, in reality you have.  You have basically said that biologists who have devoted their lives to studying evolution are a bunch of morons who let their egos get in the way, because they can't see what you find so obvious, which is the "fact" that evolution doesn't cut it, but some nebulous concept that can't be tested or even come up with a hypothesis is superior, somehow.
No matter how you want to interpret it, we are in charge here and we are head and shoulders above the other life forms, because of our intelligence. It is a quantitative difference, but not a qualitative difference.

That certainly depends on a lot of factors.  Certainly we are superior to all other animals in figuring out ways of killing each other.  But, I ask again, what in the world does this have to do with science?

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2006,09:07   

Re "But when evolution as a whole relies on a large number of very fortuitious events, but insists on retaining the random and unplanned explanation,"

Fortuitious for the survivors. Not so much for the much larger number of species that have gone extinct.

Re "the bible says we are made of dust and somehow that is better than being made of chimp?"

Good point.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2006,09:11   

But when evolution as a whole relies on a large number of very fortuitious events, but insists on retaining the random and unplanned explanation, it does raise the incredulity quotient.

And which fortuitous events would those be?  If you think that humans were somehow destined, then you could perhaps say that everything that happened had to happen just as it did, else humans would probably not be here, so it must have been fortuitous, and the sheer probably of that is so astronomical that one would doubt how it could have happened.

Too bad that's not a good argument.  Scientifically, there's no reason to assume that humans were destined.  If one wants to take that philosophical leap, then one may invoke their god to explain how it happened.  Either way, it's not a good argument against evolution.

PuckSR

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2006,09:29   

Sure, with four aces you couldn't tell. But with sufficent levels of unlikelihood, one comes to the conclusion a thing was not random. And the ID proponents, in their arguments, always acknowledge that you cannot prove in any absolute sense that something or other could never have occurred. But when evolution as a whole relies on a large number of very fortuitious events, but insists on retaining the random and unplanned explanation, it does raise the incredulity quotient.

Exactly....and I would most certainly agree with you that if all the cards came in a specific order....that i probably stacked the deck.  The problem is....those would both be assumptions.  Pay attention...Im going to keep bringing this up.  We would assume, and probably correctly, that if the cards kept coming up in a specifically good order...that the deck was stacked.  This is why you believe in ID, this is why I believe in God.

The problem is that you couldnt prove that I stacked the deck.  To prove that I stacked the deck, you would have to see me stacking the deck, or explain how I was cheating.

The only argument between Miller and Behe is the amount or placement of interference.

Totally wrong.  Miller might actually believe that God takes a stronger hand and more direct hand in his involvement.  That is not the difference, and this is the source of a great deal of your confusion.

Behe thinks that he can prove that God interferes.  Miller doesnt know if you can prove God or not, but he does know that Behe's proof isnt any good.

Let me see if i can explain how Behe and Dembski are trying to prove God:
Assumptions are important to science....in science several things have to be assumed.  Normally theories based on observations can be considered assumed.  They are based on a lot of observations....not just 5-10, but normally thousands before they are even considered theories.

Behe and Dembski are abusing the typical assumptions of science.  They are providing an assumption...then providing 2-3 cases of that assumption possibly being correct.  The 2-3 cases that they provide;flagellum, eye, etc. are all heavily contested.

Going back to my playing card analogy Avo.  You even agreed that if I got 4 aces right off the draw, while it might be a bit curious, you probably wouldnt even feel comfortable accusing me of cheating.  Behe got 3 aces, and then claimed that he had proven that the deck was stacked.

Dembski was even worse, he realized that 3 aces dont provide very high odds against.  He also knew that IDist wouldnt be able to find thousands of examples of ID.  He therefore provided incredibly high odds for a single case.  He showed that the odd of life evolving in the way that it has is very rare.  The problem with Dembski's approach is a little bit harder to grasp.
You know that the odds of all of the cards in a deck being in  a perfect order(like when they come out of a box) are very rare.  What you probably dont realize, is that if you go get a shuffled deck of cards, and deal them all out, the odds of them being in that order is just as rare....
Doesnt make sense?  Well, odds dont deal with the desirability of the results.  Sure, to us, the odds of a perfectly arranged deck are much higher than a random deck.  The problem is that statistics says that the odds are the same.
Dembski abuses this little trick.  He shows that the odds of life evolving are very, very slim.  He ignores the fact that it doesnt make the evolution of life extraordinary.  You dont consider most decks of cards "extraordinary" despite the fact that it is incredibly rare that they will be in that order!

Yes, I think that for argument purposes, the similarities are exaggerated, and when the fray settles, I don't believe the similarity will be 99%. It think the truth is closer to 95%.

No, you completely missed the point.  The original research placed the similarities at around 95%.  Better analysis, and a better understanding of certain genes moved the percentage up 99.4%

Why did it move up?  It wasnt because they fudged the numbers, it was because they better understood what genes to compare.  Better analysis does not mean that they changed the numbers to advance an argument.  You really seem to attach a lot of paranoia to the scientific community.

the difference is both profound on the one hand, and less than for all other species on the other.

Why is the difference profound?
Your just a hairless walking talking ape.
It should be kinda obvious, we have constantly found apes that are showing more and more hairless. with a more bipedal stance, and even eventually talking apes.
So your an ape, there isnt anything profound about it.  
My dog comparison, which everyone seems to miss, is that domestic dogs are physically very different.  We do not see anything profound in the fact that a rottweiler and a pomeranian are strongly related, but start telling a human he is related to a chimp....and suddenly you have a profound relationship?

So if that fine day comes, we will not have philosophy and science in separate realms. It is only our ignorance that causes them to appear separate.

What?
Science and philosophy are not seperate realms because of topic, they are seperate realms because of procedure.

Lets go back to the beginning, and bring this all full circle.
A philosopher would say that if you got 4 aces right off the bat on a deal, that you were probably cheating
A scientist would say that if you got 4 aces right off the bat on a deal, that you got 4 aces right off the bat

Philosophers are free to assume away, as long as the assumption pertains slightly to logic.
A Scientist must either prove, or display to a great degree that he is correct, and is not nearly as free to make claims.

This is why ID belongs strongly in philosophy.  I can look at this wonderful world, with all of its beauty, and say that God must have designed it.  This is a perfectly valid philosophical statment.

A scientist cannot say the same thing...he cannot even say anything close.  He deals in emperical evidence and absolutes.

Science, Philosophy, and Religion will never merge, because they actually approach the question from different perspectives.  The simple fact that you think they will is highly dubious.

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2006,05:13   

We don't know a lot about how the body plans get realized in embryonic devlopment.
No, but we do have some idea and are learning more all the time.

I do think that science will ultimately prove whether species are capable of mutating into new species, and whether they are capable of generating new body plans in the ways described by Darwinian evolution.
I agree, but I am curious what kind of proof you would require.

It seems your argument is that a universe with a god would be very different than one with out a god. I am perfectly happy to accept that this is true, in fact so does Richard Dawkins. The problem is that the supporters of ID claim to have evidence of the former. I am open to the possibility that evidence will be found, but to say that it what is currently presented is evidence to even the most basic scientific standards is simply dishonest. I have read dozens of papers by biologists, chemists, engineers and mathematicians which all argue that biological systems exhibit the characteristics we would expect if they had arisen by evolutionary processes, so ID has a long way to catch up.

Was Miller's God totally surprised at the emergence of man? Did he say, Oh My, look at this!
This is a good question, and I have never heard a religious person answer it. Presumably an omnipotent god would know this would be the result even if he didn't specifically plan it, but I don't know.

Sure, with four aces you couldn't tell. But with sufficent levels of unlikelihood, one comes to the conclusion a thing was not random.
The point is that to calculate the level of unlikelyhood for something such as the flagellum to any degree of accuracy is pretty much impossible at the moment. I wish it wasn't it would make my job a lot easier.

PuckSR

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2006,10:40   

Was Miller's God totally surprised at the emergence of man? Did he say, Oh My, look at this!

I have noticed for a long time that proponents of ID seem to fall in a very particular theological circle.  They cannot understand religious beliefs outside of their own, nor can they attempt to understand the rational behind such a belief.

Miller's God and Avo's God are basically the same.
Avo, you believe that your God created you.
Miller believes that his God created him too.

The difference is that Miller's God created him in a somewhat indirect fashion.  Do not misunderstand the usage of the word "indirect" here.  Miller believes that his God used a tool to create him, while Avo believes that God acted directly.

Miller believes that his God is omnipotent(all powerful) and omniscient(all knowing).  One major advantage of being omnipotent and omniscent is that you can make incredible shots in pool.  Miller's God didnt have to go pick up the 9 ball and drop it in the corner pocket.....Miller's God made an incredibly complex shot that seemed almost impossible.

They are both the same God, Miller just recognizes that with His omnipotence and omniscience...God could have been far more elaborate with his creation.

If you think that it is silly to believe that God would go to all of this trouble....then why did he create all of the stars?
We know that life does not exist around most stars, and that from our perspective they are just points of light.  God didnt just create points of light....he created a massive, complex, and grandiose Universe.  If you ask me....He likes to show off....

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2006,11:32   

They [Miller's and Avo's] are both the same God, Miller just recognizes that with His omnipotence and omniscience...God could have been far more elaborate with his creation.
I've never quite bought this "we all worship the same God" thing. The deity worshipped by Christian fundamentalists has one set of properties (consigns gay people to he11, had a human son, spoke to Amos, Jeremiah, Pat Robertson, doesn't have much of a sense of humor...). The deity recognized by, say, Reform Jews has very different properties. Miller refers to his God as He, Avo refers to hers as She...

I guess the difference in perspective is the difference between a theist (say, PuckSR) and a nontheist (say, me; I'm not postulating any difference, by the way, between "nontheist" and "atheist" - it's just that the former seems neutral and descriptive, while the latter seems to connote in-your-face aggressiveness). The theist, and I guess I really mean monotheist, takes it as given that God exists, and that the faithful of various persuasions are mistaken about Its properties, while the nontheist thinks that, since these deities exist only in believers' minds, to postulate entities with different properties is to postulate different entities.

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2006,15:46   

Chris, going back over some posts I found your co-option one, and I just want to say that I have reread it and take note.

Russell,

Surely, when you say such and such model has been "largely abandoned" - you can cite at least one review of the relevant literature by a relevant scholar of the field to substantiate that claim.

I really can't evaluate a paper of the length that you have given. If you could summarize it, or bring out its main points...
Why dismiss Mike Gene so easily? His 5-part essay on the flagellum is pretty readable and has references at the bottom of each section. I didn't see a date. I wanted to see if it was later than the paper you cited.
    ++++++++

2. Is there any reason to think the type III export system, complete with the ancestors of flhA, flhB, fliR, fliQ, fliP, fliI and others, existed as a "cooptable part." Thus far, the answer is no, as there are good reasons to think the type III system evolved from pre-existing flagella.

a. The bacterial flagellum is found in both mesophilic and thermophilic bacteria, gram-positive and gram-negative, high GC and low GC content bacteria, and spirochetes. Type III systems seem to be restricted to a few gram-negative bacteria. That is, if we look at the sequenced genomes from the various groups cited above, we can find the genes for the bacterial flagellum but not the type III system genes.

b. Independent evidence suggests the type III system is recent. It is not only restricted to gram-negative bacteria, but to animal and plant pathogens. In fact, the function of the system depends on intimate contact with these multicellular organisms. This all indicates this system arose after plants and animals appeared. In fact, the type III genes of plant pathogens are more similar to their own flagellar genes than the type III genes of animal pathogens. This has led some to propose that the type III system arose in plant pathogens and then spread to animal pathogens by horizontal transfer.

c. When we look at the type III system its genes are commonly clustered and found on large virulence plasmids. When they are in the chromosome, their GC content is typically lower than the GC content of the surrounding genome. In other words, there is good reason to invoke horizontal transfer to explain type III distribution. In contrast, flagellar genes are usually split into three or more operons, they are not found on plasmids, and their GC content is the same as the surrounding genome. There is no evidence that the flagellum has been spread about by horizontal transfer.

d. It's much easier to envision the evolution of the type III system from flagella than vice versa. For starters, evidence has surfaced that the basal body of the flagellum already works to secrete proteins other than the flagellar proteins, including virulence factors. Thus, the basal body is already poised to evolve into a type III system from the start. Evolution apparently would only have to duplicate and tweak the type III virulence protein secretion activity already existing in flagella. . In my opinion, this view is far more parsimonious than to propose that something like the type III system evolved long ago, was lost by all bacteria but gram-negative animal/plant pathogens and then was used to evolve the flagellum so that horizontal transfer could spread flagella far and wide (despite the lack of evidence for such transfer).

Thus, it should not be surprising that the scientific opinion has been converging on the notion that the export machinery evolved from the flagellar machinery [5-7].

There is yet another interesting aspect to all this. Since evolving from some flagellum, the type III transport system appears to have lost its ability to engage in rotary transport. The flagellar motor is composed of five proteins: MotA, MotB, FliG, FliN, and FliM. We'll discuss this more below, but right now it is worth pointing out that the type III systems have no homologs for MotA, MotB, or FliM. The Mot proteins are essential components of the motor, as they are membrane proteins that fulfill two functions: they transport ions to provide the energy for rotation and serve as the stator against which the rotor (FliG, FliN, FliM) moves. What's more, the type III rotor components have significantly changed. The type III homolog of FliN shares sequence similarity only with in its C-terminal 80 amino acids. And the sequence similarity between the FliG homologs are almost non-existent. Furthermore, there have been significant changes in FliF. FliF forms the MS ring (the "mounting plate"), which is associated with and above the C-ring composed of FliG, M, and N. FliF in flagella is composed of 500+ amino acids, but in the type III homolog, both the C- and N-terminal domains thought to be involved in forming the MS ring are missing. All that is left in common between them is a central region of about 90 amino acids.

Here we find another reason to recognize the significance of the flagellum-to-type III system evolution. Type III systems have apparently lost their ability to rotate. Thus, we can't think of type III systems as something pre-adapted to rotate, as all the rotary information has been lost. To argue that the type III system could reacquire the ability to rotate, as the flagellum does, is to essentially violate Dollo's Law, which states: "evolutionary change manifested at any level higher than the genetic is irreversible, and that anatomical structures or functions once lost cannot be regained." [8] Yet by proposing that the flagellum once existed as a type III system and later acquired the ability to rotate is not hardly any different that proposing type III systems could reacquire the ability to rotate and violate Dollo's Law.
     ++++++++++++++
Saying, "I think it's extremely unlikely" does not amount to "refuting".
OK, maybe refuting isn't the word, but Behe has made good arguments to show that the compiling of the flagellum from disparate parts is not likely. I spent a bit of time and didn't find them. We are not talking about absolute proof, but rather establishing that intelligent design is a reasonable supposition.

Are you being quite serious here? Evolution is an iterative process. Mutations build on one another. If one mutation leads to better vision, that presumably is beneficial in and of itself. Subsequent mutations leading to more brain development capable of using the better vision then become favorable, etc. Also, did you know that skull formation is responsive to brain formation?
OK, there may be some systems in which this can work to a degree, but I think that my objection still stands. There is an awful lot of very exacting interface and construction in the different systems. Are we just assuming they can cobble themselves together? We not only get a fortuitous mutation, but it includes the construction kit also?

It demonstrates the one system is almost certainly related to the other by the process of "co-option" that Behe has "refuted" by declaring it unlikely.
Well, unfortunately, we really don't know that, and it is hardly certain when there is good reason to think the type 3 was not a precursor. I'm not sure Behe is against all co-option, just doesn't think it can work to put together an IC system.

But the point stands: an evolving system can have a series of  selectable functions without the "final" function being selected from the very beginning.

So it could get a couple of proteins to do something, and then get a few more, cobbled together which will now do something entirely different, and somehow the genome has decided to code for putting them together, and then along comes another protein or set of proteins, which do yet something else again, and this is now added to the first two, which now has a completely new function, and all the old functions for these three systems are still also being covered (presumably they are still needed) while each time this two and now three and now four and now five-part set assumes a completely new role, while somehow not abandoning the old role, and all fitting together perfectly. Not only each new added part but also each set of two-parts, and three-parts, and four-parts - presumably all things the cell still needs?

apparently in vain. Is that your version of an apology?
No my dear, when I feel the need to apologize it will be much sweeter. If you didn't say it, I won't insist. I am pretty sure I saw it. Maybe it was someone else. As for Spetner, I got an answer from him, but it appears he still didn't understand what he did. He corrected me to say that yes, Dawkins did the calculation, but did not calculate the likelihood of the event happening in the lifetime of the alien. However, I sent him another letter pointing out that where Dawkins said that he also used a different phrase, i.e., perfect hand, not perfect deal.  

Oh really? What would you estimate is the similarity between yourself and a human with Down syndrome?
Gosh, I don't begin to know how to answer this. there are a lot of genes on a chromosome, and I don't really know what happens or why when you have that extra chromosome, but I don't think the situation is comparable.

The genetic similarity between us and chimps is exxagerated I am sure,

and I'm sure that you are sure, and that your certainty is based on... nothing at all.

How can we be 99.4 the same as a species with 1/3 our brain size? a species with a different form of locomotion? a species which cannot speak?

Here's what a guy who calls himself an 'interventionist' (humans and domesticated plants and animals were deliberately genetically altered by human-like aliens) has to say:

We are taught that by every scientific measure humans are primates very closely related to all other primates, especially to chimpanzees and gorillas. This is so ingrained in our psyches it seems futile to even examine it, much less challenge it. But we will.

Bones. Human bones are much lighter than comparable primate bones. For that matter, our bones are much lighter than the bones of every “prehuman” ancestor through Neanderthal. The ancestor bones look like primate bones; modern human bones do not.

Muscle. Human muscles are significantly weaker than comparable muscles in primates. Pound-for-pound we are five to ten times weaker than any other primate. Any pet monkey is evidence of that. Somehow getting “better” made us much, much weaker.

Skin. Human skin is not well adapted to the amount of sunlight striking Earth. It can be modified to survive extended exposure by greatly increasing melanin (its dark pigment) at its surface, which only the black race has achieved. All others must cover themselves with clothing or frequent shade or both, or sicken from radiation poisoning.

Body Hair. Primates need not worry about direct exposure to sunlight because they are covered from head to toe in a distinctive pattern of long body hair. Because they are quadrupeds (move on all fours), the thickest is on their back, the thinnest on the chest and abdomen. Humans have lost the all-over pelt, and we have completely switched our area of thickness to the chest and abdomen while wearing the thin part on our backs.

Fat. Humans have ten times as many fat cells attached to the underside of their skin as primates. If a primate is wounded by a gash or tear in the skin, when the bleeding stops the wound’s edges lay flat near each other and can quickly close the wound by a process called “contracture.” In humans the fat layer is so thick that it pushes up through wounds and makes contracture difficult if not impossible. Also, contrary to propaganda to try to explain this oddity, the fat under human skin does not compensate for the body hair we have lost. Only in water is its insulating capacity useful; in air it is minimal at best.

Head Hair. All primates have head hair that grows to a certain length and stops. Human head hair grows to such lengths that it could be dangerous in a primitive situation. Thus, we have been forced to cut our head hair since we became a species, which might account for the sharp flakes of stones that are considered primitive hominid “tools.”

Fingernails & Toenails. All primates have fingernails and toenails that grow to a certain length and then stop, never needing paring. Human fingernails and toenails have always needed paring. Again, maybe those stone “tools” were not for butchering animals.

Skulls. The human skull is nothing like the primate skull. There is hardly any fair morphological comparison to be made apart from the general parts being the same. Their design and assembly are so radically different as to make attempts at comparison useless.

Brains. The comparison here is even more radical because human brains are so vastly different. (To say “improved” or “superior” is unfair and not germane because primate brains work perfectly well for what primates have to do to live and reproduce.)

Locomotion. The comparison here is easily as wide as the comparison of brains and skulls. Humans are bipedal, primates are quadrupeds. That says more than enough.

Speech. Human throats are completely redesigned relative to primates. The larynx has dropped to a much lower position so humans can break typical primate sounds into the tiny pieces of sound (by modulation) that have come to be human speech.

Sex. Primate females have estrous cycles and are sexually receptive only at special times. Human females have no estrous cycle in the primate sense. They are continually receptive to sex. (Unless, of course, they have the proverbial headache.)

Chromosomes. This is the most inexplicable difference of all. Primates have 48 chromosomes. Humans are considered vastly superior to them in a wide array of areas, yet somehow we have only 46 chromosomes! This begs the question of how could we lose two full chromosomes, which represents a lot of DNA, in the first place? And in the process, how could we become so much better?

Anyway, I wonder: is there any reason why a Martian Linnaeus, say, would assign us to two different genera?
So maybe the above is an answer.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2006,16:35   

Most of those items are changes in proportion of something that's present in both species, or a slight change in position of something. I wouldn't either of those to necessarily require much genetic change.

Re "Primates have 48 chromosomes. [...] yet somehow we have only 46 chromosomes!"

That's been mentioned around here someplace quite recently, I think. Somewhere along the way two chromosomes fused, and the remnants of the fused ends can be seen in the middle of the resulting chromosome in humans.

Re "any reason why a Martian Linnaeus, say, would assign us to two different genera?"

I gather the answer is no. From what I understand, the amount of difference between human and chimp is typical of pairs of species that are placed in the same genus (i.e., less than the amount of difference generally expected of two genera in the same family).

Henry

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2006,17:01   

Re "increasing melanin (its dark pigment) at its surface, which only the black race has achieved."

My understanding was that they came first (humans started in Africa, after all), and the loss of coloration was an adaptation to colder climates.

Henry

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2006,18:00   

I'm completely lost now and don't know where I've left off.

Puck, I don't think anyone expects an exact pathway, but the proposals so far are just too vague. You said the type 3 system is proof the flagellum can operate without all its parts. It is no such thing! Regardless of how it got together or which of its parts may have once had a different function, the flagellum as it now is cannot have any parts removed. the type 3 system is not a simpler flagellum, it is a transmembrane injection device.

I read someplace that an objective observer would have put chimp and human in the same genus to start with,
What does it take to get into a genus? What's the difference between a family and a genus?

(GCT: ) I'm offended that you think you can twist the arguments around and not have me notice.
You know, I honestly don't think Avo notices when she twists the arguments around. This is the fundamental (pun only partially intended) problem with creationist thinking: whatever question you ask, the answer has to conform to the overall precommitment to goddidit.

This is very shi##y of you Russell. Let GCT go back and show where I twisted his arguments. I already spend enough time keeping each one straight as I can. My words are very frequently misunderstood and I patiently explain.

Again, this is the 4th time that I find you on your theme of being very suspicous of the motives and honesty of those who disagree with your views.

That, and the fact that she doesn't see that as post-modernism.
Why don't you define postmodernism then, because I gave my definition and it had nothing to do with our conversation.

I think the nylonase story is another great example, if Avo is seriously interested.
I've read about that, no doubt from an ID standpoint.

GCT,

What is also bizarre is the fact that you somehow think reality is different depending on whether one believes in god or not.

I think I already addressed this. comments like this make me think I am speaking with simpletons. Am I speaking with simpletons?
Do you honestly think that designing a shoreline is subtle and non-complex?
Why yes, I do. What did you have in mind? It sounded like a big landscaping project.

So, since it isn't atheistic, why can't you accept evolution and still believe in your god?
Because I have read books which have convinced me it ISN'T TRUE. It isn't because of my belief in God. The only thing about my belief in god is that I could never suppose that existence itself was anything other than directly related to said God.

Also, if one must believe in god in order to hold a belief in ID, how exactly is that scientific?
How is it not?

I simply meant that a universe with God is a very different one than without.
How?

To the person who lives within a limited sphere of perception, there is no difference at all. But the universe itself, would be totally different. But you must realize there is no such choice- if there is a God it necessarily means that there is no other possible reality, never was, never will be and that all such talk is total fantasy. contrariwise, if there is no god then there is also no possibility or need of a god.

And that is a specious argument for a couple reasons.  One, it's entirely possible that there are other worlds, or other universes that could create worlds with life.  Two, their definition of the best world is based on an Earth bias.  Three, (and this is a religious objection) why couldn't your god create a more perfect world?
I think the argument is not based on earth bias, but it can only make the argument if they assume that the laws of nature and the elements are as they are. It might be possible to have a completely different sort of universe, I suppose. What Nature's Destiny is saying is that the universe that we find ourselves in is a completely cohesive whole.

Random from the scientific sense means that we can't determine or predict the exact time, location, etc. of the mutations that will occur.  We can also discern no plan.  It's non-causal.  That doesn't have any implications when it comes to god belief.  One is free to hold a non-belief in god and decide that it all happened naturally.  One could believe that god set up the initial conditions and let everything run on its own.  One could believe that god makes all the mutations happen and has a specific plan for letting things play out a specific way.  We just can't determine which, if any, of those is correct through scientific means.  So, we call it random.
I don't think that is what people are taking away from their textbooks. But it is fair enough.

This is your answer to how you can tell whether Dawkins or you are right about god through science?
Hmm, I don't remember answering that specific question. I am saying that we will find out more about genetic expression, embryonic development, chromosomal rearrangements and so forth, and this, I hope, will put to rest some false ideas about how species can evolve through small random mutations.

This answer meant nothing at all.

If there is or isn't a God, all will appear exactly the same to your eyes. In that sense it is nothing. If there is a God this is a radically different situation. Supposing that you have a consciousness that animates and transcends your body, this will eventually make a big difference to you - that between life and nonlife. A God universe is ten trillion times better.

Certainly we are superior to all other animals in figuring out ways of killing each other.
It's time we grew up. Belief in Jehovah or the things that are taught about that demonic entity is a real impediment to adulthood, in my humble opinion.

So, you reject the notion that Miller is a confused IDist?  Good.  We've made some progress.
It seems the one to twist words is you. First you say I believe ID because my belief in God requires it. I explain that I could work evolution into my belief in god and point out what has been pointed out by others here - that even people committed to evolution can believe in God. (But yes, I have indeed learned here that evolution is more comatible with belief in God than I thought it would be.) Now, Puck says that Miller disagrees with ID scientifically but accepts it philosophically. I still find that slightly incoherent. Also, what I understand of Miller is that while he thinks the setup had a tremendous amount of freedom to play itself out, he also believes in an interfering, omnipotent and omniscient God. Yes, I think he is an IDist. Just not of the tinkering sort.

What I can't seem to get across here is that the divide is bigger between Dawkins and Miller than it is between Miller and Behe.

How is reality different if god exists?  God exists or doesn't, correct?  If we learn that god doesn't exist, does that change the reality of the world we were living in that didn't have a god?  If we learn that god does exist, does that change the reality of the world we were living in that did have a god?
I was not speaking about a personal reaction to a belief. Why did you think I was? If there isn't a God all is material and ultimately will die out, perhaps never to rise again. Death is agony because one does not want one's consciousness to cease. Life is certainly fascinating, in a bitter way.

If there is a God then all in the universe is a direct emanation and part of that God, no one and nothing can be excluded, and consciousness is free to develop forever.

Henry,

Fortuitious for the survivors. Not so much for the much larger number of species that have gone extinct.

Yeah, but I was talking more about the fortuitious events leading to life and to the cellular systems being improbable without intelligence.

Puck,

The problem is that you couldnt prove that I stacked the deck.  To prove that I stacked the deck, you would have to see me stacking the deck, or explain how I was cheating.
Yeah, proof might be hard but eventually you can't keep accepting it if someone keeps winning every poker hand.

Behe thinks that he can prove that God interferes.  Miller doesnt know if you can prove God or not, but he does know that Behe's proof isnt any good.
Well, he does not speak of proof, but he certainly thinks he can show very strong probability. As for Miller, perhaps someone else, maybe Matzke's article might have something in it, but that Miller argument is just not too close. I just don't see why you guys think Miller really has given Behe a run for the money.

Behe and Dembski are abusing the typical assumptions of science.  They are providing an assumption...then providing 2-3 cases of that assumption possibly being correct.  The 2-3 cases that they provide;flagellum, eye, etc. are all heavily contested.
they have more than 2 or 3. I think there are lots. but good - let the contesting continue.

Behe got 3 aces, and then claimed that he had proven that the deck was stacked.
what do you have in mind here?

What you probably dont realize, is that if you go get a shuffled deck of cards, and deal them all out, the odds of them being in that order is just as rare....
Doesnt make sense?  Well, odds dont deal with the desirability of the results.  Sure, to us, the odds of a perfectly arranged deck are much higher than a random deck.  The problem is that statistics says that the odds are the same.
Dembski abuses this little trick.  He shows that the odds of life evolving are very, very slim.  He ignores the fact that it doesnt make the evolution of life extraordinary.  You dont consider most decks of cards "extraordinary" despite the fact that it is incredibly rare that they will be in that order!

Yes, of course I realize that any random shuffle of the deck, if you specified exactly that as the perfect deal, would be just as unlikely as any other.

What do you mean odds don't deal with the desirability of results? Odds themselves don't know, but we know. It is precisely the odds of getting the needed result that we are calculating.

How do you surmise that life would evolve no matter what shuffle of the deck occurs? That is what you are saying!

Better analysis, and a better understanding of certain genes moved the percentage up 99.4%
Then this is a clue to some big pieces we are missing. There is more to this picture.

Why is the difference profound?
Your just a hairless walking talking ape.
Oh please.

we have constantly found apes that are showing more and more hairless. with a more bipedal stance, and even eventually talking apes.
We have?

Chris,

I do think that science will ultimately prove whether species are capable of mutating into new species, and whether they are capable of generating new body plans in the ways described by Darwinian evolution.
I agree, but I am curious what kind of proof you would require.
That is hard to envision because it is in the realm of unknown processes.

I guess all I can say is that I think the evidence and the reasonings of ID have more merit than you think they do. And I don't think the case is as tight by the other side.

The point is that to calculate the level of unlikelyhood for something such as the flagellum to any degree of accuracy is pretty much impossible at the moment. I wish it wasn't it would make my job a lot easier.
I think there is a lot of truth to that. Nonetheless, we can and do at least begin to examine the issue. but for this reason, it makes sense to be less emotional about what we don't know enough about.  
What job is that?

Puck,

They cannot understand religious beliefs outside of their own
Miller's God and Avo's God are basically the same.
You know, Puck, I actually find this upsetting. I have no religion, I identify with a large number of different world spiritual outlooks, and about the only one or two that I consider really narrow and detrimental are Catholicism and Islam, with certain forms of protestantism close behind.

Alright, I see you didn't mean it quite the way I thought you did. What about you - isn't your view of God's actions somewhat similar to Miller?

Russell,
I've never quite bought this "we all worship the same God" thing. The deity worshipped by Christian fundamentalists has one set of properties (consigns gay people to he11, had a human son, spoke to Amos, Jeremiah, Pat Robertson, doesn't have much of a sense of humor...). The deity recognized by, say, Reform Jews has very different properties. Miller refers to his God as He, Avo refers to hers as She...
I agree with you, Russell. Perhaps deep down we do all worship the same God, but that is so deep down it can be pretty inaccessible. That is why I said the terrible things that I said above.

The beliefs of mainstream Christianity are in my opinion very detrimental and I do undersand why Dawkins thinks it is the root of all evil. Over at Telic Thoughts, they were very incensed when Dawkins said that a religious upbringing was a form of child abuse. Of course, that was way over the top and they trotted out studies that show religious-home kids were more emotionally sound. I got curious as to why Dawkins would be so outragious so I looked up the incident. And it turns out that some woman told him that as a teenager her friend was suddenly killed, and that according to the adults around her, her friend that she was currently mourning was burning in #### becuse she wasn't saved. I started going on a website and learned a lot of shocking things about the way hellfire and damnation is bludgeoned into the heads of the faithful, and has been for centuries. I read Catholic children's primers vividly describing small children going to #### and burning in red hot ovens and how they scream with pain, and how they will never, never get out. They had quotes from famous preachers who told their congregations that they will witness their closest loved ones in #### and feel no pity. They have descriptions of the extreme sufferings God will inflict that are difficult to use another term for than demonic fantasy. And both Augustine and Aquinas taught that the saved will enjoy the sight of the sufferings of the damned.

I made some remarks at Telic thoughts to the effect that Christians need to start thinking about why they have brought about such fear and hostility on the part of the secular humanist community. I asked them, why did Darwin say - Christianity is a damnable doctrine that he did not understand why anyone would want it to be true?

They were silent.

PuckSR

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2006,20:05   

I guess all I can say is that I think the evidence and the reasonings of ID have more merit than you think they do. And I don't think the case is as tight by the other side.

Avo, Im going to keep this uncharacteristically short.

I think ID has tons of evidence, and I believe that it has a great deal of merit.  Ken Miller would agree with me.

The problem, and you seem to completely miss this, is that ID is a philosophical conjecture.  
You think we are attacking the belief in design.  We are not attacking the belief in design, we are attacking ID as a scientific theory.

New scientific theories are not created because they make a lot of sense....they are created because they have explanatory value, and because they are testable and provable(either absolutely or empirically).
ID skips all of the "meat" of a scientific theory, and just relies on a fairly reasonable(and might I add popular) philosophical conjecture.  No one is telling you that ID is wrong....NO ONE....we are just telling you that ID is not science.(well except the atheists....and they reject it for philosophical reasons too)

A God universe is ten trillion times better.

This is an invocation of Pascal's Wager.  In case you arent familiar with the fatal flaw of Pascal; he attempted to rationalize a belief in God.  There are several problems with the actual wager, but the lesson is that you cannot rationalize beliefs.  Read up on Pascal please!!!!

Alright, one last thing....I apologize, I believe i misunderstood you.
Miller is closer to Behe in the theological department.
Of course, in the scientific department, Miller is nowhere near a confused IDist....ID is scientific right?

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,01:58   

Quote (avocationist @ Mar. 03 2006,00<!--emo&:0)
This is very shi##y of you Russell. Let GCT go back and show where I twisted his arguments.

And I responded to this already...Here's what I said.
It was YOU who said that evolution is atheistic.  Now, you say that people can believe in god and accept evolution?

Also, you do believe in ID because you believe in god.  Is it possible to believe in ID and be atheist?  No, it isn't.

Back to what you said....
I think I already addressed this. comments like this make me think I am speaking with simpletons. Am I speaking with simpletons?

So, now you resort to personal attacks?
No, you didn't address this.  You simply made the assertion that the universe would be a lot different with a god than without.  The problem with your statement is the same problem that you have with a lot of your statements, namely a complete lack of evidence coupled with a complete inability to separate philosophy from real life.  You have NO CLUE AT ALL whether there truly is a god or not, and you have NO CLUE AT ALL how things might or might not be different.  No one does.
Why yes, I do. What did you have in mind? It sounded like a big landscaping project.

It's not simply a big landscaping project.  Your flippant dismissal is par for the ID course, however.  'ID only deals with complex things and shorelines aren't complex enough, blah blah blah.'  That is nothing more than a cheap rationalization for a "theory" that can't pull its own weight.  Good job, you've got the slippery evasion tactic down pat.
Because I have read books which have convinced me it ISN'T TRUE. It isn't because of my belief in God. The only thing about my belief in god is that I could never suppose that existence itself was anything other than directly related to said God.

And those books have lied to you.  You've also admitted that you haven't read the books that could convince you that it IS true.  In my opinion, that's some pretty bad scholarship you've got going on there.  Plus, you're convinced that ID is true, even in the face of no evidence for it, yet evolution is not true even though there are mountains of evidence for it.  Nice.
How is it not?

Because science does not presuppose god, that's why.  The fact that you can't even understand how an a priori assumption of god violates science means that you really have no standing at all in this discussion.
To the person who lives within a limited sphere of perception, there is no difference at all. But the universe itself, would be totally different. But you must realize there is no such choice- if there is a God it necessarily means that there is no other possible reality, never was, never will be and that all such talk is total fantasy. contrariwise, if there is no god then there is also no possibility or need of a god.

How would the universe be different?  You have no frickin' clue at all!
If there is a god, there's no other possible reality?  Says who?  God couldn't have made a different reality?  That's a howler.
If there is no god, then what does it matter if there is no need for a god?
I think the argument is not based on earth bias, but it can only make the argument if they assume that the laws of nature and the elements are as they are. It might be possible to have a completely different sort of universe, I suppose. What Nature's Destiny is saying is that the universe that we find ourselves in is a completely cohesive whole.

Yes, the argument is based on Earth bias.  The laws of nature and elements as they are?  If the universe had a slightly different law of nature, then the laws of nature would be different and then somehow less perfect?  If the bias isn't an Earth bias, then it is a present universe bias.  Either way, it's all claptrap.  They have no idea what possible universes there are/were/whatever, and neither do you.  Postulating about how this is the best possible universe of a sample population of 1 or infinity is nothing more than mental masturbation.
I don't think that is what people are taking away from their textbooks. But it is fair enough.

What people take away from their textbooks does not change the actual definition.  So, once again you are shown that evolution does not mean no god.
Hmm, I don't remember answering that specific question. I am saying that we will find out more about genetic expression, embryonic development, chromosomal rearrangements and so forth, and this, I hope, will put to rest some false ideas about how species can evolve through small random mutations.

So, you didn't answer my question, but you felt compelled to go on some tangent?  Nice.  Is that an attempt at obfuscation, or what?
Also, how do you suppose that we will find out more about the things you listed?  Will IDers do it?  Will ID lead us to answers to these questions?
If there is or isn't a God, all will appear exactly the same to your eyes. In that sense it is nothing. If there is a God this is a radically different situation. Supposing that you have a consciousness that animates and transcends your body, this will eventually make a big difference to you - that between life and nonlife. A God universe is ten trillion times better.

Again, you have no clue about this.  Having a god does not necessarily mean that we have souls and will transcend.  It does not mean that we will have life after death.  Where did you get the idea that a god couldn't create a universe where people live and die and don't have life after death?  Also, how does one determine that a universe with a god is ten trillion times better?  Once again, you've shown that you can't separate philosophy from reality, and that you make wild assumptions to come to your statistics.
It seems the one to twist words is you. First you say I believe ID because my belief in God requires it. I explain that I could work evolution into my belief in god and point out what has been pointed out by others here - that even people committed to evolution can believe in God. (But yes, I have indeed learned here that evolution is more comatible with belief in God than I thought it would be.) Now, Puck says that Miller disagrees with ID scientifically but accepts it philosophically. I still find that slightly incoherent. Also, what I understand of Miller is that while he thinks the setup had a tremendous amount of freedom to play itself out, he also believes in an interfering, omnipotent and omniscient God. Yes, I think he is an IDist. Just not of the tinkering sort.

Straddle the fence some more.  Twist my argument, then accuse me of doing it.  Nice spin.
Miller accepts evolution.  For you to insist that Miller is a closet IDist is completely specious.
(BTW, those "others here" that said one can believe in god and accept evolution...I'm one of them!  The fact that you imply that I'm arguing that one must be atheist to accept evolution, when I've specifically stated otherwise is completely intellectually dishonest.)
What I can't seem to get across here is that the divide is bigger between Dawkins and Miller than it is between Miller and Behe.

No, it isn't.  Dawkins and Miller have philosophical differences, but in the science realm they are much, much closer than Miller and Behe.
I was not speaking about a personal reaction to a belief. Why did you think I was? If there isn't a God all is material and ultimately will die out, perhaps never to rise again. Death is agony because one does not want one's consciousness to cease. Life is certainly fascinating, in a bitter way.

If there is a God then all in the universe is a direct emanation and part of that God, no one and nothing can be excluded, and consciousness is free to develop forever.

I wasn't necessarily speaking about a personal reaction either.  The universe is what it is.  There is a god or there isn't.  We have no idea.  We can't tell if there is a god or not.  Would any of the equations change if we found out?  No.  That's the point.  You have no idea whether there is or not, so you have no idea what would or would not change in the other condition (whichever that other condition is) were true.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,02:21   

Quote (avocationist @ Mar. 02 2006,21:46)
Muscle. Human muscles are significantly weaker than comparable muscles in primates. Pound-for-pound we are five to ten times weaker than any other primate. Any pet monkey is evidence of that. Somehow getting “better” made us much, much weaker.....

Chromosomes. This is the most inexplicable difference of all. Primates have 48 chromosomes. Humans are considered vastly superior to them in a wide array of areas, yet somehow we have only 46 chromosomes! This begs the question of how could we lose two full chromosomes, which represents a lot of DNA, in the first place? And in the process, how could we become so much better?

[Emphasis mine]
What's all this talk about "better"?  What makes us "better" than other primates?

Scientifically, you can't make that statement.  I know you are quoting someone else, but you are using the argument yourself, and along with statements about how we are the kings of this planet or somesuch, I have to seriously wonder.  You seem to have some sort of superiority complex over the other animals on this planet, and you want to impart that onto the science as if it is part of a scientific argument.  Well, it isn't.  You might want to stop using it.

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,03:34   

I do not see any positive scientific evidence for design, is their anything specific that you see as good evidence?

the flagellum as it now is cannot have any parts removed
So, if that is the definition of irreducible complexity then its completely useless. No-one is saying that when a part was added the the parts it binds to were exactly the same as they are now. Several different bacteria have flagellum with various parts missing. Saying that the Ecoli flagellum could not have evolved because you couldnt gradually assemble the parts in their current form is attacking a complete strawman argument.

How can we be 99.4 the same as a species with 1/3 our brain size? a species with a different form of locomotion? a species which cannot speak?

That is the question science is now beginning to answer. In regards to the chromosome number, the prediction was that two ancestral chromosomes fused to form one, this is exactly what happened, and we are able to line up the sequences quite nicely. Some of the differences you mentioned are caused by quite small differences in the DNA. Remeber that very small changes, especially in promoter regions and transcription factors, can cause very large phenotypic changes. The more we understand about evolution and development, the more these differences are beoming understandable.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,05:20   

Quote (avocationist @ Mar. 03 2006,00:00)

To expand on what I said above:

The books you've read that convinced you that evolution isn't true, were written by people who convinced themselves evolution isn't true because their god said so.  Their god told them evolution was bunk, so they went out and figured out how they could make convincing arguments that evolution is bunk.  Nevermind the fact that they formed their conclusion then looked for data....

But, by taking their word for it, you are basically letting their god decide for you that evolution is not true.  I don't know if that's better or worse than if your god told you it's not true.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,06:26   

Imagine you’re out walking your dog one day, and you happen upon Millie, that spry little old lady that’s just moved in three doors down. In the course of small talk, Millie says that, what with raising kids, juggling jobs,  etc., she’s never had the time to learn as much mathematics as she would have liked. But now she’s 72, widowed, kids on their own… just for the mental exercise, she’s trying to learn it now, if only to an educated layman’s level.

In a moment of neighborliness, you volunteer to spend Thursday evenings tutoring her. You cover the basics. You explain what’s the difference between algebra and geometry. You go over some basic theorems. You spend 3 consecutive weeks on the elegance of the Pythagorean proof. You show how trigonometry might be used in calculating  space shuttle trajectories. After a couple of months, you’re ready to introduce the idea of the calculus.

You bone up on it yourself (it’s been a while! ), you prepare a few illustrative examples. You meet Millie at the usual venue, the local Barnes & Noble café, with an armful of books. But before you get underway, Millie has just one question. She was at the beauty salon earlier that week for her blue rinse, when she learned from Madge, the hairdresser, that 8 wasn’t really a number at all; it had been made up out of whole cloth by some pointy headed professor to plug the holes in the theory of mathematics.

What do you say?

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,06:48   

Re " I simply meant that a universe with God is a very different one than without."
Re "But the universe itself, would be totally different. "

But, how would a person know what the differences are, unless that person had seen at least one universe of each type?

Re "Yeah, but I was talking more about the fortuitious events leading to life and to the cellular systems being improbable without intelligence."

An evolving gene pool can try various things that are within its "reach", and it can "remember" previous results. Those are two of the properties we associate with intelligence. So that one form of intelligence is already presumed by the current theory. So even if intelligence is required, why would that form of it be insufficient?

Re "I guess all I can say is that I think the evidence and the reasonings of ID have more merit than you think they do. And I don't think the case is as tight by the other side."

Scientific evidence consists of consistent repeatable patterns in observations, such that those patterns logically follow from the premise (or hypothesis) being tested. Descriptions of evidence for evolution refer to lots of observed patterns that are explained by the theory. I haven't yet seen where anybody actually gets around to describing the patterns that would serve as evidence for I.D. or some form of it.

Henry

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,06:55   

Actually, this was part of the expert testimony in the Kitzmiller v. DASD trial. Humans have not "lost" a bunch of genetic material that chimps have. Instead, scientists looking at the structure of human chromosome #2 can see that it is a fusion of two chromosomes in the chimp genome, complete with extra telomeres and everything. The genetic material was re-arranged, not lost.

PZ Myers explains why Casey Luskin got it all wrong in this article.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,14:49   

Instead, scientists looking at the structure of human chromosome #2 can see that it is a fusion of two chromosomes in the chimp genome, complete with extra telomeres and everything. The genetic material was re-arranged, not lost.
 You know, it is interesting to note that this very same writer realizes that and has written that in other essays. He thinks it is evidence of gene manipulation. Perhaps he was making a point here that this is an important difference.

So I have to leave town for several days and didn't want people wondering if I had fallen off a cliff.

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,17:28   

I'm completely lost now

yup.

Jay Ray

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,19:22   

Interesting thread.  Kudos to Avocationist for being eloquent and civil, even if I disagree with her conclusions about many things.

While everything here has piqued my interest to some degree, I wanted to comment on the "deck of cards" analogy.  There have been a boatload of analogies using the deck of cards to demonstrate the potential end products of an essentially random process.  Shuffle then deal.  See what comes up.  Highly improbable.  Mmhmm, we know that.

The cards here usually represent some natural process, such as the random motions of zillions of particles in the early earth, or the uberzillions of elementary particles throughout the ubervast universe.  Or at a slightly larger scales, the cards might represent amino acids or proteins.  The analogy is attempting to show that you can't just randomly "shuffle" these particles or molecules and expect anything coherent to come out, especially given the sheer quantity of "cards" in a deck the size the universe.  Consider that a regular deck of cards has, if my calculation is correct, over 8x10^67 different combinations of cards.  That's more than 8 trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion different ways those cards can line up after a good shuffle.  Obviously, the number of possible arrangements in the "primordial soup" of the early oceans is somewhat bigger.  William Dembski at one point cites an earlier paper by Frank Salisbury, who calculates that even a medium sized protein 300 amino acids long, has a one in 10^600 chance of forming randomly from the primordial soup.  Which, if Dembski's "maths" are to be believed, is a greater number than all the possible configurations of all the particles in the entire universe during its entire existance, and then some.  So, given that life as we know it requires a fairly narrow range of "deals" in order to exist at all, this "random shuffle" argument is regularly and erroneously trotted out as proof of the zero probability that the particles could have just dealt themselves the perfect hand; ie, there must have been a creator.

Why erroneously?  It seems to me that this analogy is incomplete.  It only tells a part of the story, namely randomness.  But nature functions on more than just chaos.  Say that out loud a few times.  "Nature functions on more than just chaos."  

In reality, nature at all scales can be thought of as being governed by a set of interacting rules, or laws.  The important ones are what I like to call “sticky laws”.  These are the sort of laws that make matter stick together.  Atoms and molecules obey the sticky rules of electromagnetism.  Larger structures such as rocks, planets, stars and galaxies obey the sticky laws of gravity.  Everything we see around us is a result of these sticky laws.  There are others, but these particular “sticky laws” will suffice to explain why the "random shuffle" analogy is incomplete.  Random processes and law work simultaneously, thus any "deck of cards" analogy needs to include both to be effective as an explanatory tool.  

So what if we apply one single sticky law to the random shuffling process?  Remember that a deck of cards has more than 8 trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion different combinations.  Our objective is to shuffle this deck randomly until we reach a desired configuration.  It doesn't matter what configuration you pick.  I used the deck's original out of the box configuration: Ace through King in each of the four suits.  Step three below is the "sticky law".   Yes, in my geekihood, I tried this out at home.  Went out and bought a fresh deck of cards and everything.  You should, too.  

1) Shuffle the deck up nice and good.  
2) Then look through the deck.  
3) Anywhere you have two or more cards in a row, pull them out and put a little flap of masking tape around the short edges.  (The sticky law)
4) Then put them back in the deck, and reshuffle.  
5) Now look through it again, and tape any new combinations you find.  
6) Keep doing this until you have the deck in order.

When I tested out this process, it did not take me 8 trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion shuffles.  It took me about 60.  I’d be interested to see how many it took you.*

So my point here is that all instances where a creationist attempts to refute life via probability have failed and will likely continue to do so.  Life isn't strictly a matter of sheer chance.  Creationists -always- neglect a crucial factor when discussing any natural "random" process of this sort.  That factor is the laws of physics, which very accurately describe the ways in which quarks have a tendency to form sub atomic particles, sub atomic particles tend to form atoms, atoms will tend to form molecules, on up the chain.  "Tend" is even a rather soft word for this feature of the natural world.  Put particles near each other, and they WILL lump together via well understood processes.  Its chance PLUS law that counts here.

This additional step in the "deck of cards" analogy nicely mimics the way in which nature operates.  There is much that is random.  There is also much that is NOT random, and must happen as a result of the sticky laws of nature.  All things in the universe are subject to both randomness and law simultaneously.  In this way, big things are grown from small things.  Small things are grown from even smaller things. This process works across the scales of size in the universe.  From subatomic particles, to atoms and molecules, to planets and galaxies, all things have a tendency to stick together.  With one simple sticky law, we’ve seen that a basically impossible scenario is easily transformed into one that is realistic.  Some might even say inevitable.  

Creationists apparently refuse to acknowledge that the laws of stickiness exist.  So I wonder what they really object to—evolution, or just plain physics?

*The whole process of shuffling, taping, and reshuffling is not for the faint of heart.  At about three hours long, the process can get a little tedious, and the shuffling itself is a bear.  Its best to do while you’re watching some mindless TV show, or on a slow day, if at all.  The main point is that across all aspects of the Intelligent Design speculation, crucial undeniable facts of nature are simply taboo and must not be acknowledged, lest the movement fall flat in the public eye.  Bad, bad analogies for bad, bad science.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2006,22:00   

The whole process of shuffling, taping, and reshuffling is not for the faint of heart.

Couldn't you get a computer software engineer to write a simulation program which would save on sticky tape.

Hey, what about DaveScot. He doesn't seem too busy these days.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2006,06:06   

Kudos to JayRay on the card shuffling illustration. Excellent point.

Sure, you could probably get a computer simulation to do it effortlessly, but then, of course, the IDers will say, "all bets are off, because the computer was the result of intelligent design." Which - of course - makes about as much sense as that the cards were shuffled by an intelligent agent, but as a bright shiny object to distract the easily (or willingly) distractable, it'll probably work.

--------------

Jay Ray

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2006,07:00   

I debated with myself for awhile on whether or not to program the thing. In the end I decided to go with hands-on for a few reasons.  

One, my shuffling chops are better than my programming chops.  

Two, its easy to be suspicious of computers.  Diebold.  Modern slot machines.  

Three, even if you trust the programmer not to cheat, doing something tactilely is almost always more interesting and instructive than watching the same task virtually.

In this case, its also a bit more tedious, but just look at the numbers.  There is a major difference between 10*8^67 and 60ish.

Maybe one day I'll work out the code for kicks.  Or I could enter into bargain with Dave Scot.  He could teach me how to program the thing, and I'll teach him a bit about manners.

qetzal

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2006,14:56   

Jay Ray's demo is a nice one.

However, the whole deck of cards analogy is a red herring. The odds of getting a specific hand only mean something if you specify the desired hand in advance. As has been noted, every possible hand is equally unlikely. The only reason a royal flush is remarkable is because we define it as desirable in advance.

The same thing applies to the argument about life. Even if you could positively establish that life on earth was exceedingly unlikely, it doesn't prove anything unless you assume that life is a desired outcome.

But of course, if you assume life is desired in advance, then you're assuming God in advance. (Or at least, some entity capable of creating life.) It's a circular argument, one that proves nothing at all.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2006,16:58   

You know, it is interesting to note that this very same writer realizes that and has written that in other essays. He thinks it is evidence of gene manipulation. Perhaps he was making a point here that this is an important difference.

Really? Let's recall the claim at issue:

This begs the question of how could we lose two full chromosomes, which represents a lot of DNA, in the first place? And in the process, how could we become so much better?

The only "point" the "writer" made with a claim of "loss" was concerning the remarkable extent of his ignorance.

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on Mar. 04 2006,22:59

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Jay Ray

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2006,17:46   

However, the whole deck of cards analogy is a red herring. The odds of getting a specific hand only mean something if you specify the desired hand in advance. As has been noted, every possible hand is equally unlikely. The only reason a royal flush is remarkable is because we define it as desirable in advance.

Wellllll, yes and no.  Any analogy is going to have its weaknesses, and this analogy is no different in that respect.  But I think there's a way to avoid the specific weakness you mention.  This sort of analogy is best used as a description of a process, not necessarily as the end result of that process.  Where you start and where you end up aren't the point, really.  Rather, at least in this example, its a way of showing how one gets to here from there, from chaos to order, via the sticky processes commonly found in nature.  Analogies can be thorny, but they can be a convenient way of summing up an otherwise confounding mass of data, so long as you know what it is you're trying to show.

Getting that message across to the target audience is the real trick.  Teachers are the most undervalued occupation in the world, IMO.  Especially the good ones.

qetzal

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2006,11:43   

Jay Ray

Don't get me wrong. I like your analogy for its intended purpose. It's a great way to demonstrate how evolution operates in a stepwise fashion, unlike re-shuffling a deck over and over until you get a perfect bridge hand or something.

But your analogy still contains conscious design. You chose the target sequence in advance, and then you went through after every shuffle and chose which cards to tape together. You've shown how the process can be speeded up enormously, but not how it can happen without purposeful intervention.

Let me try expanding on your analogy to make my point. Suppose we think of the randomized deck (after your step 1) as representing the pre-biotic earth, and your final configuration as representing today's earth, with its current diversity of life.

Mr. ID/Creationist will argue that your analogy still shows that intelligent intervention is essential. An undirected process can't work. As "proof" (says Mr. ID/C), try this:

1) Shuffle the deck up nice and good.  
2) Then go through the deck without looking.  
3) Every now and then, select two or more cards in a row, pull them out and put a little flap of masking tape around the short edges.  Again, no looking at the cards before you pick them.
4) Then put them back in the deck, and reshuffle.  
5) Keep doing this until all the cards are taped together.
6) Check to see if the deck is in order. If not, start all over.

How many rounds will it take? Probably the same 8 x 10^67, or whatever it is. See, says Mr. ID/C? This just proves that intelligent intervention is required. Whether you try to get there in one shuffle, or by taping cards together in multiple steps, the probability of getting that exact order of cards is unrealistically small.

The thing is, he's right, but only because you agreed in advance on the desired result.

Similarly, Mr. ID/C is quite sure that the current state of life on earth is also the desired result. And since life is much more complicated than a deck of cards, it must be even less probable that life evolved without intelligent intervention.

This is the viewpoint I'm trying to debunk. I'm trying to point out to Mr. (or Ms.) ID/C that this argument depends on the prior assumption that life is the desired result. This means that they're assuming the pre-existence of some entity that a) desired this result, and b) was capable of making it happen. IOW, they're assuming God (or the equivalent) exists and desires life on earth, in order to prove that God is responsible for life on earth.

If you don't assume God to begin with, you can't assume that life is the desired result. In that case, life is just a result. And of course, there is nothing we can say about the probability of one result from a sample of one.

I hope that clarifies my point, and apologize if I seemed to be disparaging your analogy. It wasn't intended; I just didn't express myself very well.

390 replies since Feb. 07 2006,05:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (14) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]