RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 373 374 375 376 377 [378] 379 380 381 382 383 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,10:22   

I see that over in the comments to Joe Felsenstein's PT thread on the Mathgrrl debacle, Venus Mousetrap has raised an issue that almost had me ready to sock up and rejoin the fray - the CSI of "Garden of Eden" patterns in cellular automata.

These are patterns that by definition of the CA rules, cannot arise naturally. A few have been found for Conway's Gafe of Life CA. Finding such a pattern is evidence that the Intelligent Designer has just touched that CA universe.

If there is anything in the world for which CSI should exist, it is these patterns. We KNOW they are impossible via the "mechanistic rules of physics and chemistry", aka the CA's rules.

Similarly, the specification can be simplified down to the enumeration of cell states. This is one step up from counting R and D in the Caputo example.

But I'm afraid this is more real math than UD can handle.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,10:52   

vjtorley: Professor Dembski is quite clear in his essay that he means to include Darwinian processes (which are not totally random, because natural selection implies non-random death) under the umbrella of “chance hypotheses”.

If the Chance Hypothesis includes chaotic algorithms, then it's a useless metric. Chaotic algorithms can generally only be resolved by actually running the simulation. And we can't possibly decide for processes we haven't even thought of yet. It's the Gap argument wrapped up in mathy Greek letters.

vjtorley: Darwinian processes would qualify as a chance hypotheses, because they claim to be able to grow information, without the need for input from outside – whether by a front-loading or a tinkering Designer of life.

Darwinian evolution *incorporates* information from the environment.

vjtorley: Of course, a critic could fault the naive provisional estimate I used for the probability P(T|H).

Because, exactly contrary to what you just said, you used a uniform probability distribution.

vjtorley: Aliens visiting Earth after a calamity had wiped out human beings would not need to have a detailed knowledge of Earth history to arrive at the conclusion that Mt. Rushmore was designed by intelligent agents.

No imagination.

vjtorley: A ballpark estimate of the Earth’s age and a basic general knowledge of Earth’s geological processes would suffice. Given this general knowledge, the aliens should be able to roughly calculate the probability of natural processes (such as wind and water erosion) being able to carve features such as a flat forehead, two eyebrows, two eyes with lids as well as an iris and a pupil, a nose with two nostrils, two cheeks, a mouth with two lips, and a lower jaw, at a single location on Earth, over 4.54 billion years of Earth history.

Zork: What are lips?
Piq: Maybe it's a depiction of a great leader, such as the monumental Xotz-lith of Xeon.

vjtorley: Hence the aliens would probably formulate a modest semiotic description of the pattern they observed on Mt. Rushmore: four human faces.

Piq: What are humans?

vjtorley: For example, if a team of aliens visiting Earth after a nuclear holocaust found the body of a human being buried in the Siberian permafrost, and managed to sequence the human genome using cells taken from that individual’s body, they might come across a duplicated gene. If they did not know anything about gene duplication – which might not occur amongst organisms on their planet – they might at first regard the discovery of two neighboring genes having virtually the same DNA sequence as proof positive that the human genome was designed – like lightning striking in the same place twice – causing them to arrive at an inflated estimate for the CSI in the genome.

In other words, a false positive, something that's not supposed to happen.

vjtorley: But since modern scientists know that gene duplication does occur as a natural process, and since they also know the rare circumstances that make it occur, they also know that the probability of duplication for the gene in question, given these circumstances, is exactly 1.

In other words, the more ignorant we are of possible histories, the more likely we are to conclude design. Knowing the plausible history of the sequence in question is essential to reaching an accurate conclusion, even though the entire point of Dembski's paper is that we don't have to know the history to reach a conclusion of Design.

vjtorley: CSI should be calculable by independent agents, in a consistent manner.

As you just showed, it's not consistent, but depends on the background knowledge of the one doing the measurements.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,11:03   

ask vjtorley if this is desine

or this

or this

then ask, "What if we find a tree shaped like your mom".  Don't pretend it has anything to do with CSI, just that his mom is shaped like a tree.  LULZ WILL ENSUE

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,12:47   

Quote (k.e.. @ Mar. 29 2011,09:42)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 29 2011,17:36)
Joe:

[URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/why-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-csi-scanner-or-reasonable-and-unreasonable-demands-relating-

to-complex-specified-information/#comment-375553]http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-375553[/URL]

..However we can use his methodology for measuring specified information...

Go on then... oh wait. We can, but not for anything you ask.

unless you've got 1 Million Dollars

Nice pic of PaV!  Made me LOL.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,12:51   

Quote (dochocson @ Mar. 28 2011,21:15)
Quote (olegt @ Mar. 28 2011,18:59)
There is a gem in that [URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/why-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-csi-scanner-or-reasonable-and-unreasonable-demands-relating-

to-complex-specified-information/#comment-375485]long-winded post[/URL]:

The answer is that while the CSI of a complex system is calculable, it is not computable, even given a complete physical knowledge of the system. The reason for this fact lies in the formula for CSI.

This hardly needs further comment.

I'm not a super-duper computer scientist guy, but what is the alleged difference between "calculable" and "computable"?

Is this one of those things that has real meaning elsewhere and is being applied inappropriately?

Yes, there is a technical difference.  However, I won't explain it unless you give me ..... 1 million dollars.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,12:53   

I'm very late to this particular party, but I did read through all the UD thread, and it has been enormously amusing.

What surprises me is, nobody has seen the underlying semantic confusion leading to the universal inability to even take a stab at Mathgrrl's request.

Mainstream science sees design as a verb, a collection of processes, and all the designed things we see are simply side-effects of these processes. Accordingly, to understand the design of any object, it is absolutely necessary to know its history. The history IS the design.

Conversely, ID sees design as a noun, as a property an object possesses, akin to mass or color. Dembski has suggested (but by no means fleshed out) CSI as a metric by which the property of design can be quantified and perhaps measured. Mathgrrl is (IMO disingenuously) requesting some definition of CSI rigorous enough to derive some measurement implementation that can be followed consistently, and that produces repeatably calculated units of CSI which by some future consensus map to objects in some intuitive way.

Problem is, design may NOT be a property possessed by an object at all. Just as some sounds seem more musical to us than others, we might think the music-ness of a sound can be quantified and measured. Does "Here Comes The Sun" have more units of musicness than Beethoven's Third? This might not be a meaningful question.

What has never been made explicit in that entire long thread is that CSI is entirely dependent on design being a property, and makes no sense if design is a process. It is a metric for conceptualizing and perhaps calculating the amount of something that doesn't exist in the first place.

And of course, opponents of ID focus entirely on process. They demand to know who did the designing, and when and where and how. That is, the history of objects seen as outputs of a process. This approach is irrelevant if design is an intrinsic property. You can specify precisely what color a house is without knowing who painted it or how or when.

And so Mathgrrl is asking how to calculate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, because Dembski said this is a calculable number. Nobody is asking whether angels "exist" in this sense.

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,13:53   

Quote (Flint @ Mar. 29 2011,12:53)

I'm very late to this particular party, but I did read through all the UD thread, and it has been enormously amusing.

What surprises me is, nobody has seen the underlying semantic confusion leading to the universal inability to even take a stab at Mathgrrl's request.

Mainstream science sees design as a verb, a collection of processes, and all the designed things we see are simply side-effects of these processes. Accordingly, to understand the design of any object, it is absolutely necessary to know its history. The history IS the design.

Conversely, ID sees design as a noun, as a property an object possesses, akin to mass or color. Dembski has suggested (but by no means fleshed out) CSI as a metric by which the property of design can be quantified and perhaps measured. Mathgrrl is (IMO disingenuously) requesting some definition of CSI rigorous enough to derive some measurement implementation that can be followed consistently, and that produces repeatably calculated units of CSI which by some future consensus map to objects in some intuitive way.

Problem is, design may NOT be a property possessed by an object at all. Just as some sounds seem more musical to us than others, we might think the music-ness of a sound can be quantified and measured. Does "Here Comes The Sun" have more units of musicness than Beethoven's Third? This might not be a meaningful question.

What has never been made explicit in that entire long thread is that CSI is entirely dependent on design being a property, and makes no sense if design is a process. It is a metric for conceptualizing and perhaps calculating the amount of something that doesn't exist in the first place.

And of course, opponents of ID focus entirely on process. They demand to know who did the designing, and when and where and how. That is, the history of objects seen as outputs of a process. This approach is irrelevant if design is an intrinsic property. You can specify precisely what color a house is without knowing who painted it or how or when.

And so Mathgrrl is asking how to calculate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, because Dembski said this is a calculable number. Nobody is asking whether angels "exist" in this sense.

I think you might be misunderstanding a concept here or you are equivocating two concepts into one erroneously. It appears you've confused "CSI" with "Design", but note that Dembski (and Mathgrrl in her question) notes that CSI is the object that has measurement and that certain measures of CSI indicate that something is designed. CSI is not design itself, per se, however.

So Mathgrrl has been quite consistent in asking for a rigorous mathematical definition of CSI in order to determine whether or not Dembski's claim is accurate regarding CSI indicating design, not that CSI means design.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,13:57   

Quote (Flint @ Mar. 29 2011,12:53)
Nobody is asking whether angels "exist" in this sense.

Some of that is going on over at the PT thread that links to the UD thread.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:26   

think you might be misunderstanding a concept here or you are equivocating two concepts into one erroneously. It appears you've confused "CSI" with "Design",

On re-reading, I think I tried to be very clear. Design is considered as a property. CSI is proposed as a metric for measuring that property. Presumably, this metric is expressed in bits.

but note that Dembski (and Mathgrrl in her question) notes that CSI is the object that has measurement and that certain measures of CSI indicate that something is designed. CSI is not design itself, per se, however.

Once again, I did not say that CSI is design. CSI is a proposed measure of the AMOUNT of design an object has, PRESUMING that design is a property of an object, and not a process that produces products as a side-effect. CSI relates to design as frequency of light relates to color.

So Mathgrrl has been quite consistent in asking for a rigorous mathematical definition of CSI in order to determine whether or not Dembski's claim is accurate regarding CSI indicating design, not that CSI means design.

Sigh. Once again, MathGrrl's request makes NO SENSE, UNLESS design is a PROPERTY of an object. If design is not a property in any way, then trying to find a suitable metric for determining the amount of what an object does not possess is meaningless. MathGrrl is requesting a rigorous definition of something that probably does not exist except as the side-effect of a theological requirement.

Let's back up a step here. What we do is, we START with the non-negotiable assertion that organisms (at the very least) are not the result of any natural processes, but instead require the active operation of an intelligent, purposeful, supernatural entity. We simply do not question the POOF theory. Instead, we search for any evidence that the POOF theory must be correct.

Now, here we have a problem, because if design is a process, we've hit a dead end. We can't even begin to describe the POOF mechanism, we can't say HOW it works or WHEN or WHERE it happened. We can only say we know it DID happen, because this is not negotiable.

So we have to say design is a property, like color or mass. And that there's something about the property of design that forbids any formation of Designed objects, EXCEPT the POOF method, whatever that may be. So OK, what is it that distinguishes POOFED objects from non-POOFED objects? How can we tell just from examining an object, without the slightest knowledge of its history, that it was (and had to be) POOFED? There must be SOME quantifiable way of identifying that the POOF process happened and generated the object.

Dembski has suggested CSI as a metric for making this distinction and determination. He says that we can calcuate the amount of CSI an object possesses, and we can (rather arbitrarily) designate some quantity of CSI as being "too much" to have been inserted into that object by any conceivable natural mechanisms. And if we calculate that the amount of CSI possessed by an object exceeds this value, then we can conclude that the object must have been POOFED.

And my point is, Dembski is making the assumption that Design (as quantified in terms of CSI) is a property like color or mass. But if design is a process, and not a property, it makes no sense to design a metric for quantifying what isn't there to begin with.

Let's look at it another way. Let's assume everyone can agree on a suitable means of calculating CSI. Furthermore, let's assume everyone agrees on the number of bits of CSI above which design must be assumed. Even despite this, we STILL can say nothing about the AGENCY of design. Dembski has simply asserted that beyond that limit, POOF can be assumed as the mechanism because natural processes cannot stick that much CSI into anything.

But there is no particular (non-theological) reason to make that assumption. Ordinary biologists can see no limit to the amount of CSI an organism might possess, nor anything that might set such a limit. So even if we grant that design is a property, we STILL cannot rule out any agency that might produce it, except arbitrarily.

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:35   

Uh oh. Is UD fever spreading to AtBC?

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:35   

Here's the problem with all that.  Even if there was a viable, calculatable definition for CSI and/or design, there isn't a metric.  

What values indicate design and what values indicate non-design?

Even if you assume something is designed, why can't evolution be the mechanism of design?

There is no reason why not.  So, no matter what tack you take, ID ends up with nothing.  Heck, even if ID were 100% correct, it would still be useless to the everyday business of biology.

The only method that ID has that could possibly bear any fruit would be to find the designer and since that is specifically forbidden hidden by ID proponents, there is nothing that they can do, even in theory, to promote their notions.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:38   

Design is considered as a property. CSI is proposed as a metric for measuring that property. Presumably, this metric is expressed in bits.

That's not how I see it. CSI is a property of an object. wMad's argument is that mechanisms other than ID can create objects with a certain level of CSI.

So CSI doesn't measure design, it measures something akin to likeliness under non-design. Or at least it would if it could be calculated.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:45   

Am I right in assuming that CSI is metaphorically the total number of Lego bricks in a Lego construction, and if this number exceeds a certain limit (defined how?), then it means the Lego construction was designed?

Sorry, me not mathguy, me needs simple metaphores...

--------------

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:47   

So CSI doesn't measure design, it measures something akin to likeliness under non-design.

But is that the likeliness of that particular result, or is it the likeliness of something that works as well as that result?

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:49   

Am I right in assuming that CSI is metaphorically the total number of Lego bricks in a Lego construction, and if this number exceeds a certain limit (defined how?), then it means the Lego construction was designed?

I'm left with the impression that that's what they seem to think (using that term loosely) they're saying. But the obvious question there is once there are 499 bricks, what the heck is supposed to prevent another brick or two from being added to that?

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:49   

more dick jokes, less taking that bullshit seriously

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:53   

Quote (Henry J @ Mar. 29 2011,20:49)

I'm left with the impression that that's what they seem to think (using that term loosely) they're saying. But the obvious question there is once there are 499 bricks, what the heck is supposed to prevent another brick or two from being added to that?

Thanks, same here.

This, with vulgar emphasis!

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:59   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Mar. 29 2011,14:49)

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,14:59   

This may be obvious to others, but I think it's worth pointing out again that the vagueness of definition on Dembski's part is deliberate.  In particular, he has this tendency to set his arguments in a space where two related but incommensurate concepts compete for attention.  In the present case, he does this with complex information in the Shannon vs. Kolmogorov complexity.  This is one of the things that MathGrrl has exposed.  

But recall how Peter Olofsson exposed the same kind of equivocation re: Bayesian vs. Fisherian statistics in 2008.  This was on UD for all to see.  And yet, they declared victory anyway.

[Edited (strikeout above)]

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,15:05   

Quote (Flint @ Mar. 29 2011,14:26)

think you might be misunderstanding a concept here or you are equivocating two concepts into one erroneously. It appears you've confused "CSI" with "Design",

On re-reading, I think I tried to be very clear. Design is considered as a property. CSI is proposed as a metric for measuring that property. Presumably, this metric is expressed in bits.

I thought you were very clear. I just don't get the impression from reading Dembski or the folks at UD that they think that design is an object.

but note that Dembski (and Mathgrrl in her question) notes that CSI is the object that has measurement and that certain measures of CSI indicate that something is designed. CSI is not design itself, per se, however.

Once again, I did not say that CSI is design. CSI is a proposed measure of the AMOUNT of design an object has, PRESUMING that design is a property of an object, and not a process that produces products as a side-effect. CSI relates to design as frequency of light relates to color.

See that's the thing, I might be wrong on this, but I really think that Dembski has been quite clear that CSI is not a measure of amount, but rather that design is concluded to have occurred at some point if CSI is measured at greater than a certain threshold. Hence the whole "Design Inference" nonsense.

Sigh. Once again, MathGrrl's request makes NO SENSE, UNLESS design is a PROPERTY of an object. If design is not a property in any way, then trying to find a suitable metric for determining the amount of what an object does not possess is meaningless. MathGrrl is requesting a rigorous definition of something that probably does not exist except as the side-effect of a theological requirement.

But she's not trying to find an equation for an amount. In fact, in reading through that thread, I can't find any reference to CSI being a measure of amount, and several that point to the threshold of 500 bits that Dembski and Marks came up with.

I don't think there's any point in my responding to the rest of your post since I think it's clear that the question of whether CSI measures amount vs threshold is the crux of the difference between our readings. I'll let others chime in and perhaps they can clear up the issue of the proper understanding (as if there is one) of design and CSI as ID is using them.

Sorry for the confusion Flint.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,15:06   

Here's the problem with all that.  Even if there was a viable, calculatable definition for CSI and/or design, there isn't a metric.
Well, of course that's MathGrrl's entire point. She has simply trotted out Dembski's claim that CSI is indeed a metric, and says OK, in that case, how do you calculate it? Dembski doesn't give anywhere near enough detail to do so. Underlying this, I'm assuming, is MathGrrl's correct understanding that there can't possibly be any such metric.  

What values indicate design and what values indicate non-design?
In reality, you mean? In that case, design is something someone projects into whatever they prefer (usually for theological reasons) to "see" there. Dembski's entire opus of fabulated metrics and unimplemented filters and the like is nothing more than a rhetorical smokescreen to disguise the fact that Intelligent Design is like obscenity - if it exists, it differs for everyone who sees it, and nobody can define it usefully.

Even if you assume something is designed, why can't evolution be the mechanism of design?
Again, do you mean in reality? In that case, evolution can't be the mechanism of design because your theological doctrine says evolution does not happen. But again, the goal is to find some plausible-sounding, scientistical-sounding bafflegab to "prove objectively" that your theological convictions must be true. Even recognising that evolution might be a mechanism undermines the Absolute Truth of your religious indoctrination.

There is no reason why not.  So, no matter what tack you take, ID ends up with nothing.
This is a misunderstanding. ID starts with religious doctrinal convictions, gins up a bunch of irrational assertions defending them, and ends with the non-negotiable initial convictions. ID is a defense mechanism protecting an indoctrination. It's nothing else.

Heck, even if ID were 100% correct, it would still be useless to the everyday business of biology.
Yes, but it would be enormously valuable to those who face the deep, sometimes fatal angst of doubting their childhood training. ID proponents reach out to the efforts of Dembski and others as drowning children reach to a life preserver.

The only method that ID has that could possibly bear any fruit would be to find the designer and since that is specifically forbidden hidden by ID proponents, there is nothing that they can do, even in theory, to promote their notions.
Again, you have completely misunderstood the fruit that ID bears. It is the fruit of comfortable self-deception, a balm craved by many. If they could trot the Designer out from behind the curtain, for most of them this would be a fate worse than death. The very last thing they'd want.

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,15:10   

Quote (Hermagoras @ Mar. 29 2011,14:59)
This may be obvious to others, but I think it's worth pointing out again that the vagueness of definition on Dembski's part is deliberate.  In particular, he has this tendency to set his arguments in a space where two related but incommensurate concepts compete for attention.  In the present case, he does this with complex information in the Shannon vs. Kolmogorov complexity.  This is one of the things that MathGrrl has exposed.  

But recall how Peter Olofsson exposed the same kind of equivocation re: Bayesian vs. Fisherian statistics in 2008.  This was on UD for all to see.  And yet, they declared victory anyway.

Oh maaaan...so Dembski is implying that "design" is kind of like light, which has two properties - design is obfuscated to behave both as an object AND as a threshold!

Well that explains why Flint and I have different understandings...

:p

--------------

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,15:19   

I thought you were very clear. I just don't get the impression from reading Dembski or the folks at UD that they think that design is an object.
Not what I said. I said design is a PROPERTY. Objects posses this property. Design is seen as being like mass - mass isn't an object, it's the property of an object.

See that's the thing, I might be wrong on this, but I really think that Dembski has been quite clear that CSI is not a measure of amount, but rather that design is concluded to have occurred at some point if CSI is measured at greater than a certain threshold. Hence the whole "Design Inference" nonsense.
Huh? How can you "measure at greater than a certain threshhold" UNLESS what you are measuring is an amount? In any case, Dembski is very clear - he specifies the amount!

But she's not trying to find an equation for an amount.
She's asking for a rigorous definition of CSI, sufficient to calculate the amount of CSI something has.

In fact, in reading through that thread, I can't find any reference to CSI being a measure of amount, and several that point to the threshold of 500 bits that Dembski and Marks came up with.
And 500 bits is somehow NOT an amount? An amount greater than 400 bits and less than 600 bits? If that's not an amount, then I have no idea what the word means.

I don't think there's any point in my responding to the rest of your post since I think it's clear that the question of whether CSI measures amount vs threshold is the crux of the difference between our readings.
There is no versus here. The threshhold is DEFINED as the amount of CSI above which Intelligent Design can be presumed. Any smaller amount, falling short of the 500 bit threshhold, means that ID can NOT be presumed. MathGrrl is requesting a means of measuring the amount of CSI an object possesses, to determine whether that amount exceeds Dembski's threshhold.

One of the posters said the bacterial flagellum is "full of CSI". OK, HOW full? How does he know?

Dammit, CSI is being used by Dembski as a SCALAR, like numbers along the number line.

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,15:30   

Quote (Flint @ Mar. 29 2011,15:19)

Not what I said. I said design is a PROPERTY. Objects posses this property. Design is seen as being like mass - mass isn't an object, it's the property of an object.

Huh? How can you "measure at greater than a certain threshhold" UNLESS what you are measuring is an amount? In any case, Dembski is very clear - he specifies the amount!

But she's not trying to find an equation for an amount.
She's asking for a rigorous definition of CSI, sufficient to calculate the amount of CSI something has.

In fact, in reading through that thread, I can't find any reference to CSI being a measure of amount, and several that point to the threshold of 500 bits that Dembski and Marks came up with.
And 500 bits is somehow NOT an amount? An amount greater than 400 bits and less than 600 bits? If that's not an amount, then I have no idea what the word means.

I don't think there's any point in my responding to the rest of your post since I think it's clear that the question of whether CSI measures amount vs threshold is the crux of the difference between our readings.
There is no versus here. The threshhold is DEFINED as the amount of CSI above which Intelligent Design can be presumed. Any smaller amount, falling short of the 500 bit threshhold, means that ID can NOT be presumed. MathGrrl is requesting a means of measuring the amount of CSI an object possesses, to determine whether that amount exceeds Dembski's threshhold.

One of the posters said the bacterial flagellum is "full of CSI". OK, HOW full? How does he know?

Dammit, CSI is being used by Dembski as a SCALAR, like numbers along the number line.

Umm...

(looks again at what Flint wrote)

Errm...

(stares at navel)

Now that you put it that way...

(sigh)

Ok...I feel sheepish...

(mumbles something)

(crawls away)

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,15:33   

Quote (Flint @ Mar. 29 2011,13:19)

And this gets back to the disconnect between what the IDCs claim to be doing, and what they actually do.  They have never measured the CSI of, well, anything, whether known to be designed or not.  What they actually do is the reverse: Looks Designed To Me - therefore it must have "a lot" of CSI.  The whole point of the CSI concept isn't that it's a quantity that can be defined well enough to measure - it's that it sounds all technical and sciency.  All the better to obfuscate with.  The fact that it's vague enough that every UD regular has their own version of it isn't a flaw - it's a positive feature.  And that's what Mathgrrl has drawn out of them so well.

At the end of the day, CSI = LDTM.  By design.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,15:53   

For anyone interested in a more extended discussion of the concept of "design", you might want to read this post by John Wilkins on his blog Evolving Thoughts.  Here is a snippet:
Designs are abstractions based on how we model things. Functions and goals are likewise. Information is a property of the way a physical structure (usually the primary sequence of a polymer) is symbolically described – you get a different information content when you symbolically describe the primary sequence of a stretch of DNA as “GTAC” than if you described the hydrogen bonds or the numbers of protons or the energy shells of the atoms. It suits us to use the nucleotide abbreviations; but it may also mislead us. Sometimes the weak and strong bonding points on a primary sequence are more important than the sequence itself, biologically speaking, for these will affect folding, expression, and error-correction (this last being an abstract way to speak of mismatch repair).

I take the view that both design and information are properties of the models or modeling languages we use to describe reality and we confuse the map with the territory if we attribute them to what is being modeled.  We most commonly infer design because what we observe has sufficient similarities to what we design, nothing more.

Paley's famous illustration employed a watch found on the heath and argued that even if we had never seen a watch before we would infer that it was designed, which seems likely. After all, it would be made from metal and glass and constructed from parts like cogs and springs which are found in human artefacts.

But let's try another illustration.  In the science-fiction show Babylon 5 crystals were used as information-storage devices.  Suppose someone from that future traveled back in time to Victorian England and carelessly left behind one of those crystals on the heath after he returned to his or her own time.  Would the walker on the heath who found it, think it was designed?  Possibly, in the sense that it looked more like a piece of costume jewelery than a naturally-occurring crystal but almost certainly not consider the possibility that it was some kind of information storage device.  People of that period would have no conception of such devices and, I would argue, none of the proposed "tools" of the ID movement would enable them to infer its purpose and, hence, design.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,16:00   

Onlookers!

I've started this diversion thread to move us all away from that absurd thread the wicked female child has created. I very much doubt her credentials, she may not have even read some books and I find her DEMANDS to be most unbecoming.

It is unfair to ask for the CSI of things, even though you can compute the CSI of things, it can't always be calculated. If Mathgrrl is so very very smart, I'm sure she can do the math herself. I of course COULD do the math but I'd require 10^150 pennies to find this remotely interesting - no-one seriously doubts that CSI is real because CSI means 'design' and we know things are designed every day, so CSI is real.

The fact that none of us could do the math, all of us had different ideas and interpretations on CSI and we didn't really agree on anything just shows how powerful CSI is. Moving forward, having declared victory with no math, shall we agree to have Densye bury the original thread under 3 tonnes of her coffee!! guff and never let the unapproved ask actual science / math questions here again.

In summary - Chesterton and Lewis.

Edited.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,16:16   

Edited.

For conciseness, apparently. Go back and put those Lewontin quotes and YouTube links back in RIGHT NOW.

P.S. tard.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,16:33   

Quote (Hermagoras @ Mar. 29 2011,15:59)

This is the clearest Dembski can be, and still make the case for God convincing to himself. I agree that Dembski's arguments often equivocate and fail to define terms, but I think this is his failure to understand those terms himself, not deliberate.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2011,17:45   

And this gets back to the disconnect between what the IDCs claim to be doing, and what they actually do.  They have never measured the CSI of, well, anything, whether known to be designed or not.  What they actually do is the reverse: Looks Designed To Me - therefore it must have "a lot" of CSI.  The whole point of the CSI concept isn't that it's a quantity that can be defined well enough to measure - it's that it sounds all technical and sciency.  All the better to obfuscate with.

Yes, of course. As Behe testified, those who can look at something and see the "property of design" directly, are all members of the same religious sect. But I doubt that the purpose is to obfuscate, but rather a sincere effort on the part of those who genuinely DO see the "property of design" to get a quantitative handle on how this differs from "natural, randomly generated, undesigned" stuff.

And this begs the question of WHY one specific religious sect feels the necessity to reject evolutionary processes. Some of the posters at the UD thread made this very explicit - that there is no such thing as evolution. Maybe that sect is just another unfortunate but self-replicating human error.

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 373 374 375 376 377 [378] 379 380 381 382 383 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]