RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < ... 319 320 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 328 329 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2008,17:08   

Quote (Tony M Nyphot @ Oct. 02 2008,22:59)
[mumble,grumble]

uhmmm...prostate...

stupid keyboard...'r' too close to the 't'...

[/mumble,grumble]

Dammit! Now (for some reason) Zappa's "Why does it hurt when I pee?" is playing in my head.

I need to sleep sometime this week and with Uncle Frank's back catalogue in my noggin, it's going to be a long night....oh no, that's Ween in there too.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Draconizza

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2008,17:13   

Btw, Ftk

I'm a non-practicing Buddhist and find you lumping us on the design wagon insulting, we don't believe in supernatural design! Even the most wacky Buddhist idea about life doesn't involve design

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_evolution

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2008,17:25   

Quote (Draconizza @ Oct. 02 2008,17:13)
Btw, Ftk

I'm a non-practicing Buddhist and find you lumping us on the design wagon insulting, we don't believe in supernatural design! Even the most wacky Buddhist idea about life doesn't involve design

Whatever, I've been involved in the Buddhistiac Debate for literally *years* on several forums and had this exact discussion with numerous people.  I'm here to tell you that Buddhism is full of people who can see "the" self"-"evident design "of things" right before their face.  And many of them have told me just that many times.  So take your *non-practicing * and go learn something from people who don't have an "anti-religious" (not ID, mind you) bias about Buddhism, like I have here in my basement.  Not that *I* have Buddhism in my basement--that would be unseemly for Jesus--but I have a basement, I'll show it to you sometime if "your" name is Richard.  I meant that I have "learning" in my basement.

Damn Atheist Buddhists, who nevertheless agree with me on design.  Shut it.

[/FTK]

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2008,18:29   

I'm a practicing non-Buddhist and don't know WHAT you guys are talking about. Except the prostate, I know what that is: a pain in the ass, at times, due to shabby design. (The what goes through the what?!)

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Draconizza

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2008,22:11   

Quote (blipey @ Oct. 02 2008,17:25)
Quote (Draconizza @ Oct. 02 2008,17:13)
Btw, Ftk

Whatever, I've been involved in the Buddhistiac Debate for literally *years* on several forums and had this exact discussion with numerous people.  I'm here to tell you that Buddhism is full of people who can see "the" self"-"evident design "of things" right before their face.  And many of them have told me just that many times.  So take your *non-practicing * and go learn something from people who don't have an "anti-religious" (not ID, mind you) bias about Buddhism, like I have here in my basement.  Not that *I* have Buddhism in my basement--that would be unseemly for Jesus--but I have a basement, I'll show it to you sometime if "your" name is Richard.  I meant that I have "learning" in my basement.

Damn Atheist Buddhists, who nevertheless agree with me on design.  Shut it.

[/FTK]

WTH are you talking about?? How can Buddhists agree with you on design when some sects have no concept of supernatural powers that came down and meddle with the physical world?? (Tibetan Buddhism/Chinese Buddhism excluded).

Blah, I know I'm wasting time.

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2008,22:18   

Uh, that was an FTK parody comment.  I certainly don't believe those things, but FTK probably does, but that comment wasn't actually by her.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 02 2008,22:31   

Quote (blipey @ Oct. 02 2008,20:18)
Uh, that was an FTK parody comment.  I certainly don't believe those things, but FTK probably does, but that comment wasn't actually by her.

You guys are forgetting that FTK's 'primary source' on what Buddhists think -- and proof that they, like, *totally* see design everywhere -- is a UD article by Denyse O'Leary.

I'm a non-practicing Buddhist

By this do you mean that you consider yourself a Buddhist but don't meditate?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Draconizza

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,00:22   

I'm sorry blipey, forgive this newcomer's ignorance

As you can see from my cussing response I don't meditate, I find myself leaning toward atheism little by little everyday but as the religion I was brought up in is  Buddhism I call myself a non-praticing Buddhist for the time being.

Nice knowing you all ^_^

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,02:04   

Quote (Draconizza @ Oct. 03 2008,06:22)

As you can see from my cussing response I don't meditate, I find myself leaning toward atheism little by little everyday but as the religion I was brought up in is  Buddhism I call myself a non-praticing Buddhist for the time being.

Nice knowing you all ^_^

Don't worry about it, I got 50% of the way through that comment and thought "Whoa! Blipey's gone off the deep end" then I read the latter 50% and saw that he was emulating FTK. It's possible to fool even us old hands!

Anyway, welcome to the board!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,02:52   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 03 2008,02:04)
Don't worry about it, I got 50% of the way through that comment and thought "Whoa! Blipey's gone off the deep end" then I read the latter 50% and saw that he was emulating FTK.

Bips forgot the opening [FTK] tag...  :D

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,03:04   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Oct. 03 2008,08:52)
Don't worry about it, I got 50% of the way through that comment and thought "Whoa! Blipey's gone off the deep end" then I read the latter 50% and saw that he was emulating FTK.

Bips forgot the opening [FTK] tag...  :D

Welcome to the excuse I've been holding in reserve! ;-)

I honestly thought, a sentence or so into Blipey's comment, that he'd flipped. Just goes to show that we're all capable of being fooled. It seems like someone might have said something about that once before. Hmmmm, any ideas?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,03:38   

Nice knowing you all ^_^

Don't worry about it, I got 50% of the way through that comment and thought "Whoa! Blipey's gone off the deep end" then I read the latter 50% and saw that he was emulating FTK. It's possible to fool even us old hands!

Louis

First off, MY BAD on the opening tag.  I did that.

And, secondly.  Louis???

You got past "Buddhistiac" (first sentence) without thinking that the comment might not be serious?  You gotta lay off Arden's mother...

--------------

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,03:41   

Damn, the edit bug has got me; perhaps I fooled it as well.  So, I guess this'll have to go here:

Edited to point out Louis' goal post move:

1. got through 50% of Blipey's comment

evolved to

2. a sentence or two in....

:D

--------------

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,06:27   

EYE FOUR WON THOUGHT BLIPEYS POST WAS BUDDHA-TASTIC

*sound of one hand golf-clapping*

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,07:52   

Quote (blipey @ Oct. 03 2008,09:38)

Nice knowing you all ^_^

Louis

First off, MY BAD on the opening tag.  I did that.

And, secondly.  Louis???

You got past "Buddhistiac" (first sentence) without thinking that the comment might not be serious?  You gotta lay off Arden's mother...

We all have.

But enough about Arden's mother....

You're right! And I wasn't moving the goalposts, I can't count! Let's say I got ~4 sentences in before I twigged. Hey, it's been a long week! Should I compile appropriate statistics? ;-)

"Buddhistiac" should have tipped me off, you're right. Like I said, just goes to show we're all fallible. Even....no, not "even"...ESPECIALLY me.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,10:10   

Quote (Draconizza @ Oct. 02 2008,22:22)

As you can see from my cussing response I don't meditate, I find myself leaning toward atheism

Well, as we all know, atheism and Buddhism are not necessarily incompatible...

little by little everyday but as the religion I was brought up in is  Buddhism

What country was that?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Draconizza

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,16:51   

You are quite right. However, we have to cut out thousands of years of tradition which is not easy to do. The Theravada sect that I belong too started as a strictly secular sect until it got infected with the Memes Shamanism and Hunduism.

I'm originally from Thailand by the way, fundies are quite a problem in some parts of the country but so far they haven't gotten their hands on the curriculum yet.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2008,17:04   

Quote (Draconizza @ Oct. 03 2008,14:51)
You are quite right. However, we have to cut out thousands of years of tradition which is not easy to do. The Theravada sect that I belong too started as a strictly secular sect until it got infected with the Memes Shamanism and Hunduism.

That happens pretty much in every Buddhist country, especially in the sort of 'folk religions' practiced by ordinary, not-all-that-well-educated laypeople. Though practically every Buddhist country has also experienced its revivals/reformations, where they try to sweep all that stuff away and get back to a 'purer' form of the religion, minus all the gods, magic, and folk religion. A lot of that was happening in Burma and Sri Lanka back in the 1950's (and also in the face of Western Christian evangelism in the British Colonial period), but it doesn't seep out to all ordinary people.

--------------

huwp

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2008,06:56   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 03 2008,07:52)
But enough about Arden's mother....

Please tell me that's a promise.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2008,21:22   

Blipey,

What's it going to take to get you to stop leaving endless comments at my blog?  Seriously.  I'm sick to death of having to delete all of your crap. I never mess with you at your blog.   Are you pissed because I post over here at AtBC?  Is that why you act like a freaky stalker?  

I really want to turn off moderation again, so what will it take to get you to buzz off?  If I quit posting here will you scram?

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,03:04   

Quote (Ftk @ Oct. 05 2008,21:22)
 I'm sick to death of having to delete all of your crap. I never mess with you at your blog.

Try answering the questions.

Typical response, "delete the inconvenient truths". What's the harm in letting posts stay? If they make the poster look foolish then you'd think you'd be all for it. If they make the blog owner look foolish, well, either respond to them or find a new line of work. But deleting them seems "unamerican" to me. Seems FTK would be quite happy in a ultra religious world where censorship is everywhere.

So, to be clear, you claim your blog is unmoderated (no doubt to say "not all YEC blogs censor") and yet are happy to delete comments wholesale.

FTK, one of the reasons this thread exists is because of that exact behaviour. So saying on this thread what you just said is really quite ironic.

FTK, why don't you reproduce here some of the "crap" you are "sick to death" of deleting. Lets all see what it is that you find so tiresome.

Oh, and this board has a PM system but I guess you don't get to play the martyr in public if you use it, so perhaps no surprise.

Oh FTK, lastly, welcome to the internet. Perhaps you can get your kids to explain how it works to you.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,05:30   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Oct. 06 2008,03:04)
Quote (Ftk @ Oct. 05 2008,21:22)
 I'm sick to death of having to delete all of your crap. I never mess with you at your blog.

Try answering the questions.

Typical response, "delete the inconvenient truths". What's the harm in letting posts stay? If they make the poster look foolish then you'd think you'd be all for it. If they make the blog owner look foolish, well, either respond to them or find a new line of work. But deleting them seems "unamerican" to me. Seems FTK would be quite happy in a ultra religious world where censorship is everywhere.

So, to be clear, you claim your blog is unmoderated (no doubt to say "not all YEC blogs censor") and yet are happy to delete comments wholesale.

FTK, one of the reasons this thread exists is because of that exact behaviour. So saying on this thread what you just said is really quite ironic.

FTK, why don't you reproduce here some of the "crap" you are "sick to death" of deleting. Lets all see what it is that you find so tiresome.

Oh, and this board has a PM system but I guess you don't get to play the martyr in public if you use it, so perhaps no surprise.

Oh FTK, lastly, welcome to the internet. Perhaps you can get your kids to explain how it works to you.

Hon, I allow everyone's comments except blipeys.  Oleg used to comment semi-regularly and I always let his stuff through.  Are you saying that a physicist from John Hopkins is less apt to ask the right questions than a guy like blipey?  

Blipey's only interest is to start flame wars.  He can do that here.  I don't like that crap on my blog.  

And, speaking of moderation....I can't post at KCFS or PZ's palace.  Other Kansas bloggers have deleted my comments as well.  Evolving in Kansas and Stand up for Science have both blocked my comments.  Why shouldn't I have the same right if someone is constantly throwing flames?  I'd ban him if I could, but he has an unidentifiable IP address.

So, blipes, if I quit posting here will you stop commenting at my blog so I can allow open moderation again?  Seriously, what will it take?

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,05:54   

Quote (Ftk @ Oct. 06 2008,05:30)

Hon, I allow everyone's comments except blipeys.

That's very generous of you. Could it be anything to do with the list of unanswered questions he posts here?

Oleg used to comment semi-regularly and I always let his stuff through.

You see, the problem is with the "let his stuff through" part. Are you expecting thanks for "allowing" somebody's comment to appear on your blog? In case you had missed it, you can comment here and expect your comments to both go through instantly and remain here (unless you delete them yourself, which you can no longer do).

Are you saying that a physicist from John Hopkins is less apt to ask the right questions than a guy like blipey?  

That makes no sense to me. In any case, it appears that you will only allow the "right" questions to remain on your blog, as judged by you. That's very generous.

Blipey's only interest is to start flame wars.  He can do that here.

Can you give us an example then? What has "Blipey" done that was likely to start a flame war?

I don't like that crap on my blog.  

Then either turn off comments or close your blog. Did you not read the "welcome to the internet" link?

And, speaking of moderation....I can't post at KCFS or PZ's palace.

Why don't you remind us all why? Why did PZ ban you again FTK?

Other Kansas bloggers have deleted my comments as well.

You can hardly compain about that now can you? Perhaps they thought "you were trying to start a flame war" and they "did not want that crap on their blogs".

Evolving in Kansas and Stand up for Science have both blocked my comments.  Why shouldn't I have the same right if someone is constantly throwing flames?

But you do. And you have shown that you do. You are blocking Bip's comments now. The difference is that you are whining about it here.

Have you ever stopped to think why you are being banned at some many places?

I'd ban him if I could, but he has an unidentifiable IP address.

LOL, ok, whatever. I'd check into the options for commenting then.....

So, blipes, if I quit posting here will you stop commenting at my blog so I can allow open moderation again?  Seriously, what will it take?

Always blaming somebody else, it's always because somebody else is not playing by the rules. FTK "open moderation" is a contradiction. Either your blog is open or it is moderated. Ever wonder why so little actually happens in the comment threads on your blogs? People are not interested in spending time writing a comment only to have it "moderated" out of existence. Check UD and the paucity of comments from intelligent people. When you ban everybody with a different opinion all you are left with are the dregs who can't summon a rational argument. Perhaps if you allowed anybody to comment and only "moderated" the Viagra spam then your blog might get more then the half dozen comments a week it's currently running at.

Open discussion however is not something that you are interested in, as proven by this very thread.

Would you like to talk about the of the origin of a collection of fossil jellyfish?

No? Surprise. You complain about people posting "crap" on your blogs, but when challenged to discuss anything substantive you simply repeat the same old talking points over and over

"I'm not defending Walt's work, you can talk about that with him".

I'm not asking you to "defend" his work. I'm asking you, on the basis of the evidence presented by both sides, who has the most compelling explanation for a specific event?

You are so afraid of that you won't even consider having a conversation about it. Why?

If I bring it up on your blog will you discuss it there? Or will my comments be "deleted" also because you are afraid of the implications?

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,06:19   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Oct. 06 2008,05:54)
Can you give us an example then? What has "Blipey" done that was likely to start a flame war?

OM, you have to know the definitions.

"Flame war" = any discussion in which FtK's assertions are challenged.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,06:32   

In case anybody is unfamiliar with exactly why FTK is banned from PZ's blog this search will help

Link

There's no chance FTK will come clean about it, so I provide this as a service to the lurkers. Who there are currently about 60 of!

FTK, 60 people are currently looking at various topics on this board. How many visits have you had to your blog this week? So it seems to me if you want to reach the maximum audience with your "information" and "side of the story" you'd be desperate to engage me in a conversation about them jellyfish.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

csadams

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,06:39   

And, speaking of moderation....I can't post at KCFS or PZ's palace.  Other Kansas bloggers have deleted my comments as well.  Evolving in Kansas and Stand up for Science have both blocked my comments.

FtK is LYING.

Jeremy and I deleted ONE of your comments, one which violated the stated objective of  
One of the goals of this website is to foster constructive dialogue concerning science and science education. Comments not in line with this goal may be deleted.

The only troll person Jeremy or I have banned is Goldstein/the Kansas troll, who incidentally is a welcome commenter at your blog.

Show evidence that Stand Up For REAL Science is blocking your comments, or retract your statement.

Added in edit:  Okay, I've simmered down.  Yes, Jeremy & I (probably me) deleted one of FtK's comments.  We have NOT banned her IP.

--------------
Stand Up For REAL Science!

csadams

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,06:47   

A sampling of FtK's comments at Stand Up For REAL Science:

here

here

here

here

--------------
Stand Up For REAL Science!

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,07:49   

Quote (csadams @ Oct. 06 2008,06:39)
And, speaking of moderation....I can't post at KCFS or PZ's palace.  Other Kansas bloggers have deleted my comments as well.  Evolving in Kansas and Stand up for Science have both blocked my comments.

FtK is LYING.

Jeremy and I deleted ONE of your comments, one which violated the stated objective of  
One of the goals of this website is to foster constructive dialogue concerning science and science education. Comments not in line with this goal may be deleted.

The only troll person Jeremy or I have banned is Goldstein/the Kansas troll, who incidentally is a welcome commenter at your blog.

Show evidence that Stand Up For REAL Science is blocking your comments, or retract your statement.

Added in edit:  Okay, I've simmered down.  Yes, Jeremy & I (probably me) deleted one of FtK's comments.  We have NOT banned her IP.

Csadams.  I am not lying.  I said you've blocked my comments before and as you admit...you have.  When you felt I was out of line, you didn't let my comments show...even when they were on topic.  You didn't like my tone.

That's my point.  I have a right to block comments.  We all do.  I want blipey gone because vitually every comment he makes is made to inflame someone or to degrade me personally in some manner.

I have a moderation policy as well...

"Words satisfy the mind as much as fruit does the stomach; good talk is as gratifying as a good harvest. Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit - you choose"

Proverbs 18:20-21

Do you not agree that I should be able to moderate when I feel a poster is taking advantage of open moderation?  Do you allow every single comment at Stand up for Science?  Obviously not.  So, I'm not sure why you're irritated.  You gave examples of letting some of my comments through.  Would you like a list of the comments Blipey's made at my blog that I've allowed through?  It would be a very long list indeed.

I want to open moderation again, and I want blipey gone.  I'm merely asking why he insists at posting inflamatory comments at my blog.  If it's because I post here, I'd like to know...because in that case, I'll just quit posting here if it rids me of his crap.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,07:52   

BTW, I didn't say you banned me.  That's a whole different deal, if that's what you're implying.  What I'm trying to get across is that you have not allowed comments I've made to remain on your post.

--------------

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2008,07:57   

Could you be so kind and also show wich comments from blipey you did not show.

10202 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < ... 319 320 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 328 329 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]