RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >   
  Topic: The thread of liberation, free your mind and the rest will follow< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2007,16:07   

There hasn't been a real politician in this country since Screaming Lord Sutch did himself in.

I agree Darth, we are getting increasingly like the USA in this regard. As Bill Hicks put it "Hmmmm I'll vote for the puppet on the left, no wait I think the puppet on the right most represents my views". If the vote weren;t such a hard won right, I'd say "don't vote, it only encourages them". Vote Lib Dem, imagine the shock if they get in!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Darth Robo

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2007,09:24   

Ah, the Monster Raving Looney Party!  There's an idea!   :)

--------------
"Commentary: How would you like to be the wholly-owned servant to an organic meatbag? It's demeaning! If, uh, you weren't one yourself, I mean..."

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2007,23:00   

So who the heck can we vote for here?  I admit that politics isn't my forte, but Cameron has apparently been pandering to the fundies a little recently, and yeah, Blair certainly does that.  Brown isn't showing any particular reason to make us think that he's gonna run the country any different to Blair - he's already been spewing the same old bull about what Labour has done to reduce NHS waiting lists etc when in actuality IMHO they fucked it up.  :angry:

The Lib Dems don't exactly inspire me, they'd probably turn out to be just as useless as Labour and the Conservatives.  Feel like I'm in voting limbo.
Ok now I agree with you.

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2007,23:09   

Quote (phonon @ May 03 2007,18:14)
Last week there was a historian on and FDR came up. You might think this guy's opinions are funny. He loves Warren Harding and hates FDR.

Replace Harding with Hoover and that describes my view. (Well, I don't "hate" FDR, but I certainly dislike him as a president.)

--------------
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2007,23:49   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ May 16 2007,23:09)
Last week there was a historian on and FDR came up. You might think this guy's opinions are funny. He loves Warren Harding and hates FDR.

Replace Harding with Hoover and that describes my view. (Well, I don't "hate" FDR, but I certainly dislike him as a president.)

I thought he was dead.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,01:11   

Quote (blipey @ May 16 2007,23:49)
Replace Harding with Hoover and that describes my view. (Well, I don't "hate" FDR, but I certainly dislike him as a president.)[/quote]

I thought he was dead.

No, he has been fitted with cybernetic parts and rules as shadow leader of the US.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,01:44   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ May 17 2007,01:11)
Quote (blipey @ May 16 2007,23:49)

I thought he was dead.[/quote]
No, he has been fitted with cybernetic parts and rules as shadow leader of the US.

And you critique Ed Brayton's humour...

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,02:02   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 17 2007,01:44)
And you critique Ed Brayton's humour...

Humour? I think it is safe to say you are not from the U.S.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,07:28   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ May 16 2007,23:09)

No one cares what you think, Bobbie.  (shrug)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,11:00   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 11 2007,17:48)

Quote (phonon @ May 11 2007,16:49)
Let me ask you, under your democratic workplace, would customers also get a vote? If so, then I could see one vote coming up that would be bad. "Should we give away our product/service for free? Yes/No." Well, customers might just vote Yes.

Well, we already give away our sidewalks, roads and highways for free. . .  (shrug)

Indeed, I would HOPE that is exactly what everyone would vote ------ after we decentralize the economy and eliminate unnecessary duplication (for most industries, having big conglomerates that ship things all across the world to compete with other big conglomerates there, is a huge waste of resources).  So I'd prefer to let the local community itself decide, democratically, how many pizza parlors or whatever that it wants, and then put up the money, collectively, to establish them.  Then let the local community elect the people who run it (with the ability to UN-elect them if they do things the community doesn't like -- it's lots faster than lawsuits, and much cheaper too).  If we find we haven't enough pizza joints, we open another one.  If we find we have too many, we shut one down and use the money for something else.  Just like roads or highways.

So if 51% of people don't like a pizza joint and 49% do, then what? Would this be an example of tyranny of the majority? But you said that piddly pizza joints would be immune? Also, if we shut down a business, who decides which one is shut down? What happens to the workers of that business, who are trained in that area, but not in others?

And if the community does indeed decide that certain things should be free for everyone (such as basic food, shelter and clothing) -- and of course I would hope that it does decide exactly that --  then I would suggest that everyone, collectively, put up the money to meet those expenses.  Just like we do with free roads and highways today.

With larger economic units, like auto factories or airplane factories, same deal, but on the state or federal level rather than local.  Just like interstate highways.

My own preference would be that all the current corporate chain restaurants and mega-stores would be kicked out, and replaced with locally-controlled and locally-operated entities instead.  But again, that isn't my decision to make ----- that would be up to the community itself to decide, democratically.
Would people hold elections to figure out who runs the locally owned businesses? Or would  entrepreneurs put up their capital to open these businesses? Would their business be allowed to grow, or once it reaches a certain size, they would be subject to the will of others (51%) through ballots? If an entrepreneur risks his capital and his business is shut down, how would he be compensated? Where is the cut-off point between a locally owned small business and a business large enough to be subject to the new rules?

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,11:04   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 11 2007,17:29)
Quote (phonon @ May 11 2007,16:49)
Let's say I wanted to start a company with my own money. Let's say it's delivering pizza (to Fort Dix). I risk a lot of my own money (maybe I mortgaged my house) to open this restaurant, but now I have to give the bus boy an equal say in the way the restaurant is run? I'm just trying to understand what exactly that you have in mind.

You proceed from a false assumption.  It's not pizza shops or donut shops or maid services that I'm interested in right now.  It's the economic big players, the corporados. My immediate goal is to democratize the economy and remove it from the control of then 1% of wealthiest families in the US who own most of the wealth and nearly all of the stock.  Your pizza parlor, quite frankly, isn't worth bothering with.  I want the big fish, not the minnows.

Once we, collectively, as a society, run our economy democratically with everyone's input and for everyone's benefit, THEN we can decide what to do with the piddley little pizza shops.  It's not up to me to decide that --- that is a decision that should be made by ALL OF US, democratically.

Okay then, so you would "democratize" Pizza Hut and Dominoes and not Joe's Pizza?

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,19:25   

Alas, since I have no plans to be a dictator, I am in no position to answer any of your questions --- they all need to be answered democratically, by EVERYBODY (not just by, say, the tiny minority of the population who own capital and who currently unilaterally control the economy).  

Yes, Phonon, democracy is awfully messy.  I'm sure there will be lots and lots of screaming and shouting over things.  Probably even some pounding on tables.  And yes, I'm even pretty sure that some people (heck, in many cases a LOT of people) won't like what gets decided.

As the French say, "C'est la vie".

--------------

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,19:34   

That's why the Founders set up a Representative Republic.  You avoid the messy mob rule of democracy.  I think it's proven to be a pretty good idea.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,19:50   

Quote (skeptic @ May 17 2007,19:34)
That's why the Founders set up a Representative Republic.  You avoid the messy mob rule of democracy.  I think it's proven to be a pretty good idea.

I think it's a pretty good idea too.

And I see no reason why it should stop at the workplace door.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2007,19:56   

Edited to fit with Skeptic's pedantic spirit:

Alas, since I have no plans to be a dictator, I am in no position to answer any of your questions --- they all need to be answered democratically in a Representative Republic, by EVERYBODY (not just by, say, the tiny minority of the population who own capital and who currently unilaterally control the economy).  

Yes, Phonon, democracy Representative Republicanism is awfully messy.  I'm sure there will be lots and lots of screaming and shouting over things.  Probably even some pounding on tables.  And yes, I'm even pretty sure that some people (heck, in many cases a LOT of people) won't like what gets decided.

As the French say, "C'est la vie".

(What the heck is the code for strike-out letters . . . . ?)

-edit-  OK, strike-out letters added.   :)

Oh, and in case you were wondering, Phonon, I'm pretty sure that no business owner or "entepreneur", of any sort, will like anything at all whatsoever that I propose to do.  Indeed, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they will resist it in every way possible.

But then, the 18th century French royal aristocracy didn't like that whole "democracy" thingie, either, and they too resisted it as long as they could.  (shrug)

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2007,07:43   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 17 2007,19:56)

It's been a while, but I think it's just an "s".

strike this sentence

yep.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2007,17:44   

Quote (Lou FCD @ May 18 2007,07:43)

strike this sentence

yep.

Doh, well that makes sense, doesn't it . . . ?

Gracias.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2007,18:33   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 18 2007,17:44)
Quote (Lou FCD @ May 18 2007,07:43)

strike this sentence

yep.

Doh, well that makes sense, doesn't it . . . ?

Gracias.

de nada.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2007,18:37   

Oh, and in case you were wondering, Phonon, I'm pretty sure that no business owner or "entepreneur", of any sort, will like anything at all whatsoever that I propose to do.  Indeed, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they will resist it in every way possible.

But then, the 18th century French royal aristocracy didn't like that whole "democracy" thingie, either, and they too resisted it as long as they could.  (shrug)

To compare aristocrats to entrepreneurs isn't a good analogy. When I say entrepreneurs, I mean people who busted their humps to make some money, used that money (and lots of debt) to create a business.

Aristocrats were usually people born into money, land, and position or people who did a favor for the king (or whatever sovereign) and received money, land, or position as a reward.

Also, the democracy they resisted was with respect to the law, not the way a business or company is run.

It's just not the same.

Now, there are people in this country and others that can be compared to aristocrats in that they were born into money and position, but I wouldn't call them entrepreneurs. (eg, George Dubya Bush and/or J. Danforth Quayle)

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2007,18:45   

ya know, I read Bobbo's poots for this month, and I'm reminded of a line Hitchens recently used to describe Falwell:

If you gave Falwell an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox.

of course, you could apply that line to any of the putative "leaders" of the IDC "movement" as well.

btw, if you haven't seen the recent interview on CNN with Hitchens, you should check it out.

It's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkAPaEMwyKU

talk about liberating.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2007,23:30   

Quote (phonon @ May 18 2007,18:37)
To compare aristocrats to entrepreneurs isn't a good analogy. When I say entrepreneurs, I mean people who busted their humps to make some money, used that money (and lots of debt) to create a business.

Aristocrats were usually people born into money, land, and position or people who did a favor for the king (or whatever sovereign) and received money, land, or position as a reward.

Oh, I think it is quite a good analogy.  In both cases, they make decisions that affected everyone's lives, without any input or responsibility to anyone who was affected by those decisions.  And in both cases, they justify their autocracy with "But. . .  but . . . I'm the guy who MAKES the decisions and BUILT the country/company !!!!!! You commoners are just too STUPID to take over from me !!!!!!"

As for being born into it, uh, how did most of the richest people in the US get their fortunes?  That's right -- they got it the OLD-FASHIONED way ------- they inherited it.

The situation is PRECISELY the same.  Both set up a social system wherein their authority is not only unquestioned, but unquestion-ABLE.  And both resist democracy within their domain just as avidly as the other.

As for "busting their humps", surely you know that the way to get rich is NOT to work hard --- the way to get rich is to have lots of OTHER PEOPLE work hard FOR you.

--------------

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2007,21:52   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 18 2007,23:30)
Quote (phonon @ May 18 2007,18:37)

Oh, I think it is quite a good analogy.  In both cases, they make decisions that affected everyone's lives, without any input or responsibility to anyone who was affected by those decisions.  And in both cases, they justify their autocracy with "But. . .  but . . . I'm the guy who MAKES the decisions and BUILT the country/company !!!!!! You commoners are just too STUPID to take over from me !!!!!!"

As for being born into it, uh, how did most of the richest people in the US get their fortunes?  That's right -- they got it the OLD-FASHIONED way ------- they inherited it.

The situation is PRECISELY the same.  Both set up a social system wherein their authority is not only unquestioned, but unquestion-ABLE.  And both resist democracy within their domain just as avidly as the other.

As for "busting their humps", surely you know that the way to get rich is NOT to work hard --- the way to get rich is to have lots of OTHER PEOPLE work hard FOR you.

I guess the question I keep trying to ask is where do you draw the line?

When does someone go from "hard working entrepreneur" to "corporado aristocrat?" When does he have to relinquish control of his company?

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2007,07:10   

Quote (phonon @ May 20 2007,21:52)

When does someone go from "hard working entrepreneur" to "corporado aristocrat?" When does he have to relinquish control of his company?

And the answer I keep giving is that it's not ME who draws the line, it's EVERYONE.

What I want, is simply to place the entire economy under democratic control, just like the political system.

The business owners -- all of them -- are unelected, unchecked, and answerable to no one.

I find that intolerable in any democracy, particularly when a corporation like General Motors or Exxon-Mobil has more resources than many governments in the world, and its decisions effect a larger population than the United States of America.

So if you have some good reasons why business leaders or owners, alone of all social authority figures, should have the inherent right to make unilateral decisions affecting others without being answerable or responsible to anyone, I'd sure like to hear them . . . . I doubt any of them differ in any significant way from the very same arguments made by the French royal aristocracy to defend THEIR right to make unilateral decisions that effected others without being answerable to anyone.

As for "relinquishing control of his company", I've already shown that the corporados already did that, long ago.  The "owners" of a corporation (the tiny minority of the population that owns most of the stock) don't ned to actually control anything -- they make no decisions and introduce no new ideas.  Instead, they simply hire the ability of others to do that for them.  If all the stockholders of the world were to be kidnapped by aliens tomorrow, the corporations would all go on without them with barely any change at all.

And as for the small businesses like "Joe's Pizza", they are also already steadily losing "control of their businesses", at an alarming rate, because of the capitalists themselves.  After all, any small business lives solely on the crumbs left behind by the Big Boys -- they live only because the Big Boys haven't yet decided to either buy them out or drive them under.  Indeed, the vast majority of small businesses [i]can't[i/] find enough crumbs to live on, and die within a few years.

The entire history of corporate America is the history of one corporation in each industry growing steadily to dominate that industry and drive everyone else into oblivion (or forced cooperation).  If the "small businesses" are to have any chance at all of survival against such an onslaught, they must consolidate their resources together under a joint management until they are large enough to compete (i.e., they must give up "control of their business" and in essence become corporados themselves).

So all I want to do is continue and complete the task that the corporados themselves are already doing quite efficiently.  It is the corporados who have already eliminated virtually all private business ownership, and replaced it with social ownership overseen by elected managers.  I simply want to consolidate those who haven't yet been consolidated, and then elect those managers with a larger electorate, which includes everyone rather than just the tiny minority of stockholders.

The economic structure that you (and all "free-market" apologists" want to defend --- an Adam Smithian large network of small individual shopkeepers --- no longer exists.  The corporados destroyed it long ago, and replaced it with socialized property ownership.

--------------

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2007,10:49   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 21 2007,07:10)

Quote (phonon @ May 20 2007,21:52)

And the answer I keep giving is that it's not ME who draws the line, it's EVERYONE.

What I want, is simply to place the entire economy under democratic control, just like the political system.

When you say everyone, you really mean the majority. 51%

The business owners -- all of them -- are unelected, unchecked, and answerable to no one.

They are answerable to shareholders and ultimately the customer/consumer.

When the "corporados" infiltrate our elected government, that's when there is much less response to the customer and shareholder because they use the power given to politicians by voters, the 51%

I find that intolerable in any democracy, particularly when a corporation like General Motors or Exxon-Mobil has more resources than many governments in the world, and its decisions effect a larger population than the United States of America.
The oil industry is powerful, it's true, but to attack this problem, you'd change the whole system? The reason they were so powerful is because they buy politicians. If you could cut that out without changing the whole system, would that be acceptable?

So if you have some good reasons why business leaders or owners, alone of all social authority figures, should have the inherent right to make unilateral decisions affecting others without being answerable or responsible to anyone, I'd sure like to hear them . . . . I doubt any of them differ in any significant way from the very same arguments made by the French royal aristocracy to defend THEIR right to make unilateral decisions that effected others without being answerable to anyone.
The French aristocracy's reason was their "birthright" to lord over other people. The reason that a business owner should be able to make unilateral decisions regarding HIS business is because he OWNS it. He doesn't own the people working for him. They don't have to work for him. And you can make him directly answerable and responsible to his workers through worker organization (unions). The reason you shouldn't be forced to landscape your yard some certain way or paint your house a certain color just because a majority of people in your jurisdiction want your house to be a certain color is the same reason you should wrest control of a business from someone who started it.

As for "relinquishing control of his company", I've already shown that the corporados already did that, long ago.  The "owners" of a corporation (the tiny minority of the population that owns most of the stock) don't ned to actually control anything -- they make no decisions and introduce no new ideas.  Instead, they simply hire the ability of others to do that for them.  If all the stockholders of the world were to be kidnapped by aliens tomorrow, the corporations would all go on without them with barely any change at all.
Well, you know, except that the investment capital would be gone.

And as for the small businesses like "Joe's Pizza", they are also already steadily losing "control of their businesses", at an alarming rate, because of the capitalists themselves.  After all, any small business lives solely on the crumbs left behind by the Big Boys -- they live only because the Big Boys haven't yet decided to either buy them out or drive them under.  Indeed, the vast majority of small businesses [i]can't[i/] find enough crumbs to live on, and die within a few years.

The entire history of corporate America is the history of one corporation in each industry growing steadily to dominate that industry and drive everyone else into oblivion (or forced cooperation).  If the "small businesses" are to have any chance at all of survival against such an onslaught, they must consolidate their resources together under a joint management until they are large enough to compete (i.e., they must give up "control of their business" and in essence become corporados themselves).

So all I want to do is continue and complete the task that the corporados themselves are already doing quite efficiently.  It is the corporados who have already eliminated virtually all private business ownership, and replaced it with social ownership overseen by elected managers.  I simply want to consolidate those who haven't yet been consolidated, and then elect those managers with a larger electorate, which includes everyone rather than just the tiny minority of stockholders.

The economic structure that you (and all "free-market" apologists" want to defend --- an Adam Smithian large network of small individual shopkeepers --- no longer exists.  The corporados destroyed it long ago, and replaced it with socialized property ownership.
First of all, I'm just debating a point with you and my position here may not actually have anything to do with my actual opinions.

And I agree that unfettered capitalism and laissez-faire economics leads eventually to monopoly. There should certainly be checks on corporate power. But, to say that 51% of the population knows what's best, economically, for the other 49% is not what I'd call an improvement.

The problems that you aim to address by ("I simply want to consolidate those who haven't yet been consolidated, and then elect those managers with a larger electorate, which includes everyone rather than just the tiny minority of stockholders.") would still be there unless the people/voters were educated to the problem and care about it. Well, under our system you could still enact certain controls over large corporations through elected officials, but to do that you'd have to have a majority of people who are educated enough on the subject and care enough about it to vote in representatives that would actually fight for them in this way. There is no magic system. What it takes is overcoming human nature. Overcoming greed and corruption as well as ignorance and intellectual laziness.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2007,18:25   

Quote (phonon @ May 21 2007,10:49)

What I want, is simply to place the entire economy under democratic control, just like the political system.[/quote]
When you say everyone, you really mean the majority. 51%

That's what a "democracy" is.

Or, if you prefer, a Representative Republic.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2007,18:29   

The reason that a business owner should be able to make unilateral decisions regarding HIS business is because he OWNS it. He doesn't own the people working for him. They don't have to work for him.

Well heck, the King of France literally owneds the country.  He owned the treasury, he owned all the state lands, he owned the military and all its equipment.

"L'etat, c'est moi."

Furthermore, it was the King's sweat and brainpower that made the country what it was.  He decided matters of war and peace. He set economic policies.  He made laws as he saw fit.  He decided everything.  

So who were those uneducated peasants to take the King's country away from him . . . .?  Heck, if the peasants didn't like it, then let them move to England or something.  They don't HAVE to live in France.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2007,18:36   

If you could cut that out without changing the whole system, would that be acceptable?

No, because even then, the corporados would still weild more economic and social power than many governments in the world do, and they would do so unilaterally, unanswerable to anyone but themselves (the "stockholders").

People with power over others (whether political power, social power, or economic power) should hold that power only with the consent of those who are subjected to it.  Whether it's the King of France, the President of the US, or the CEO of General Motors.

I think democracy is a wonderful thing.  I see no reason why it should end at the workplace door. Those who exercise unelected and unchecked power within the workplace, of course, are all FULL of reasons why democracy should end at the workplace door.  Oddly enough, people who have power are always anxious to tell you why they should have it, and you shouldn't.

I don't buy any of their arguments.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2007,18:39   

But, to say that 51% of the population knows what's best, economically, for the other 49% is not what I'd call an improvement.

It is, when the current situation means that the 0.5% of the population that controls 45% of the wealth and nearly all of the corporate stock, gets to decide economic life for the other 99.5% .  Particularly when those 99.5% have no say, none at all, in any of those decisions.

I'd very much prefer that 51% of the population controls the economy, rather than 0.5% .

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2007,21:56   

Lenny,
Are you really serious about wanting the changes you're talking about? The proposed system looks to me like it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Businesses get build and stay running because the people who run them have something to gain from doing so. Take that away, how do you propose that businesses be kept running? Voters can't force it to keep running if nobody's there to do the job, and you'd remove any motivation that anybody might have to run anything larger than they need for their own household.

What about power plants, water utilities, sewers, communication utilities, roads, etc.?

How, under your proposed changes, would voters (those people in whom you seem to have little confidence) be kept from screwing up the utilities on which you (and I) depend for power, water, telephone, internet, transportation, etc.?

Henry

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2007,23:41   

Probably worth pointing out that those things did perfectly well as government owned companies in the UK (the roads and the sewers are still governemt run I think). Although obviously not democratised to the extent Lenny wants.

249 replies since May 03 2007,18:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]