RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 705 706 707 708 709 [710] 711 712 713 714 715 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,16:48   

A ba77 post is composed of three basic ingredients: t, ar, and d.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,16:50   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Nov. 05 2007,14:15)
In hardback, The God Delusion has sold 326,694 copies. It's still selling 2000+ a week.

Paperback is due in January, at which time it will pick up again. By the end of next year, it's fairly likely there will be close to a million copies in print.

Where do you get these data?

I would like to know how "Why Intelligent Design Fails" compared with some of the IDC books.  I recall an email hat Rutgers was surprised that sales were as good as it happened.  I think there were 3 hardback, and 3 paperback printing.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,16:53   

This was the largest real-world emprical (sic) test of the principles underlying ID and evolution by other means. ID was confirmed and evolution by any other means was repudiated. Feel free to offer an explanation for the lack of any significant creative evolution in P.falciparum under the rubric of the modern synthesis. And don’t say ID doesn’t make testable predictions. It did and the prediction was confirmed.

Dave's sounding a little shrill. I think he's trying to reassure himself that he hasn't been completely wasting his life for the last 3 years.

note how ba77 failed to answer his own rhetorical question

"what is truth - it comes from gawd"  

well what the fuck is it though, ba77?

Oo! Oo! Pick me, pick me! I can predict what BA77 would say!

"Truth is whatever God says it is, as interpreted by me".

Don't applaud, just throw money.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

franky172

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,16:54   

Quote (Altabin @ Nov. 05 2007,14:45)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Nov. 05 2007,15:40)
DaveTard:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/science....-146112

DaveScot

11/05/2007

9:29 am
getawitness

I see you got around to asking the notorious question “Who designed the designer?” The answer is we don’t know and we have no empirical evidence from which to infer any answers. Confined to the question of origin of life on earth we have lots of empirical evidence - enough to warrant a design inference. I have yet to see anything about life on earth that requires a non-material designer but rather at a minimum a designer with some rather advanced (beyond current human technology) skills in biochemistry. This doesn’t rule out a designer with more than just highly developed biochemistry technology but by the same token it doesn’t require more than that either.

In another application of ID say we examine a piece of fling and determine it’s an arrowhead. What can we infer about the designer from that? We can infer a designer with some skill in knapping flint. We might be able to determine roughly when it was made from its context. But there is a lot we can’t infer about the designer. We can reasonably presume the designer was a human because they are known to have produced arrowheads provided the context supports human presence (i.e. we didn’t find the arrowhead on the planet Mars or embedded in billion year-old strata). Beyond that we simply have no empirical data to infer anything. We don’t know the age or gender of the designer, whether he/she had children or how many, what the designer died of, or really anything else at all. Biological origins are like that only we have even less to go on. We can infer it was designed and can infer a minimum skill set required to accomplish the design but, based on the evidence we have to work with today, we can infer no more. Trying to make further inferences is no more than an exercise of narrative invention (story telling).

Emphasis mine.

Poor Dave can't even play his own game. Knapping is a mechanism. If the flint was perfectly honed at a molecular level, that'd be a different designer with different capabilities. There a a few ways you can sharpen a flint;  by smashing  with another heavy object, by placing a flint in a fire and having it "explode" along lines of moisture in the flint or by Pressure Flaking if you're a bit more sophisticated. Each one will give you a different flint..

OK, here's my response to Dave - not too long-winded, I hope.

Look at this:

This is a plate from Athanasius Kircher's work On light and shadow, a seventeenth-century work on optics and, more broadly, any kind of radiation.  (Clipped from Paula Findlen's seminal article "Jokes of Nature and Jokes of Knowledge: The Playfulness of Scientific Discourse in Early Modern Europe").

Kircher reproduces here stones that have been shaped "by the effort of nature the painter" - so-called "figured stones" that, through the action of nature have taken on shapes that are meaningful to us.  Here Kircher depicts an entire alphabet of stones; in the upper left-hand corner you see an entire cityscape revealed upon splitting a rock (this sort of figured stone was very popular in Renaissance and early-modern museums, particularly if the picture happened to resemble the city in which the museum was located).

There is a huge, and rich modern literature out there about the place of these fortuitous patterns in medieval and early-modern science.  In general, though, our predecessors were all agreed that such things were not the work of intelligence.  They weren't crazy; they didn't imagine that Jesus, or some other disembodied telic entity was out there making little sculptures to amuse them.

They explained these objects in a variety of ways.  Some thought that they were simply accidents - but most people considered that a bit of a cop out.  Others argued that since the planets strongly influenced the development of minerals in the ground, they could also shape them in ways meaningful to humans.  After all, if a particular combination of planets could affect the destiny of Strasbourg, surely the same combination could make a stone look like Strasbourg.

Others, finally, thought that God had set up nature to be overflowing with creativity - a kind of exuberance that exhibited itself through visual pun and experiment (the topic of Paula F.'s paper).

Whatever the explanation, though, they were convinced that these were objects explicable within nature.  They had not been shaped by supernatural forces, still less by human hands.

Now take a look like this:

This is an ancient cameo, carved in the 3rd century BC.  It depicts the Hellenistic king Ptolemy II, and his sister and wife Arsinoe II.   It is one of the great masterpieces of ancient crafts.

When Albert the Great wrote his book On minerals in the 13th century, he described this very gem, then decorating a reliquary in Cologne (after passing through many owners, it is now in St Petersburg).

What is crucial, though, is that he explained the cameo as a natural object.  He went to considerable length to show how a combination of earthly "exhalations," flowing waters and planetary influence could have given rise to these patterns so similar to human figures.

It was the same sort of thing as the other figured stones he discussed -- a natural object, needing a natural explanation.  He did not seriously consider that it was made by a human being, since there was no known technology that could have produced such incredibly fine detailing on a tiny piece of stone.

Albert was not stupid - quite the opposite.  His false conclusion was an argument to the best explanation - because he knew of no human agent that could produce such a thing.

Thus all of Dave's talk about recognizing that flints are designed objects is simply nonsense.  The "designedness" of flints does not assert itself directly to us.  We only infer that they are designed because we know an awful lot about the designer -- us -- and what s/he is capable of doing.  If we believed that humans were incapable of making such things, we would conclude that some other agent or natural process was responsible for them.

To labor the point once again: unless we have a similar information about the designer, we cannot in principle infer biological design - at least not without falling into the same sort of error as poor old Albert.

very nicely done

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,17:10   

Nielson, the same company that does TV ratings, does books, too. It's a subscription service made available to me by my employer, a publishing house.

Why Intelligent Design Fails sold a few over 1000 copies in hardback, and has sold 890 in paper. It's still selling 5-10 a week. Its best week was quite an outlier: 115 copies in early August 2006. I wonder if a prominent review spurred that or if it was just a fluke. (Note that at $39.99, the hardback was considerably more expensive than some of the more popular titles published by trade presses.)

That's the last request I can do today. I need to do some real work, sadly.

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,17:19   

For the umpteenth time, Joe cites Joel Kingsolver via David Berlinski.

Joseph: Thus if a change in the length of a beak’s finch by one standard deviation explains 16 percent of the change in the population’s fitness, 84 percent of the change is not explained by selection at all.

And for the umpteenth time, I cite Kingsolver's actual views.

Kingsolver: The strength of selection is key to understanding evolution and adaptation in nature. Our study has three findings of broad significance for our understanding of evolution. First, we now have an abundance of evidence documenting selection in nature in many different species. In many species selection has the potential to cause substantial evolution during our lifetimes, over the time scale of years to decades. So our understanding of selection and evolution goes far beyond familiar examples such as industrial melanism in moths and Darwin's finches. Second, our analyses indicated that sexual selection—e.g. selection resulting from differences in mating success—is typically stronger than natural selection with selection resulting from differences in survival. We sometimes associate selection and evolution with phrases such as 'the struggle for existence' and 'the survival of the fittest'. Our results suggest that it may be more appropriate talk about 'the struggle for mates' and 'the mating of the sexiest'. Third, we found little evidence for optimizing selection; we would expect abundant evidence of optimizing selection if organisms are optimally 'designed' in nature. This is surprising, and will require new field studies that are specifically designed to detect this type of selection.

The conclusion that most of evolutionary change "is not explained by selection at all" is a misdirection, simply because not all selection is environmental selection. He forgot about 'the struggle for mates' and 'the mating of the sexiest'. As I have pointed this out to Joe previously, I can only suppose he has a mental block on the subject.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,18:42   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Nov. 05 2007,15:10)

Nielson, the same company that does TV ratings, does books, too. It's a subscription service made available to me by my employer, a publishing house.

Why Intelligent Design Fails sold a few over 1000 copies in hardback, and has sold 890 in paper. It's still selling 5-10 a week. Its best week was quite an outlier: 115 copies in early August 2006. I wonder if a prominent review spurred that or if it was just a fluke. (Note that at $39.99, the hardback was considerably more expensive than some of the more popular titles published by trade presses.)

That's the last request I can do today. I need to do some real work, sadly.

Thanks for the information.  I would have to guess that the print runs were tiny then, because there were 2 or 3 for the hardcover.

(I told Mom not to by so many copies  :O  )  ;)

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,18:52   

WesternJoe: I’m still trying to understand how common descent can happen without natural selection. I have yet to hear a logical explanation.

Artificial selection is such an example.

WesternJoe: Natural selection, by definition, selects random genetic variants….

Contrariwise, the source of the variation could be non-random, e.g. Lamarckianism doesn't preclude natural selection.

bFast: If genetic engineers modify a mouse, they begin with a living mouse, they add a gene, then they let the modified mouse produce offspring. Is the resultant geneticly modified mouse somehow not the a common ancestor of its mother and father?

Um, no. Not only does it have two ancestral lines, paternal and maternal, but it may have descent from some other source, perhaps a human actin promoter or a gene for bovine growth hormone.

bFast: Again, if the offspring implement the embedded code, common descent is not broken even though it is not natural selection, or not purely natural selection that is guiding the process.

That is correct. Front-loading could (in principle) be expressed through common descent, just as each cell of an organism is descended from a zygote. (There is no evidence for telic front-loading.)

bFast: Therefore there is no common descent = natural selection eqation. Natural selection requires common descent, but common descent does not require natural selection.

Natural selection does not require common descent. Separately created organisms might be able to exchange genes violating common descent, but still be subject to natural selection. Something of this sort has been posited for the origins of primordial cells.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,19:47   

[Edit -- Never mind.  Question already answered.]

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,20:38   

A rock is composed of three basic ingredients; energy, force and truth.

Oh, yes; and it takes one to know one!

A ba77 post is composed of three basic ingredients: t, ar, and d.

Please, don't do that when I'm eating.  :)   :)   :)   :)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,22:25   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 05 2007,17:33)
More tard from the tardmeister. On the Hollywood thread, DT tries to pretend that ID predicted something, and that Behe proved it. (my emphasis to highlight some of the completely idiotic bits)    
ID makes testable predictions about evolution. Take for instance the parasite that causes malaria - P.falciparum. We observed this single celled eukaryote in the last few decades replicating billions of trillions of times. That is orders of magnitude more replications than it ostensibly took to transform reptiles into mammals. ID predicted that even in billions of trillions of replications no creative evolution of the type that distinguishes mammals from reptiles is possible without intelligent agency. Sure enough, when the parasite was scrutinized in both phenotype and nucleotide-accurate genotype after billions of trillions of replications it had accomplished nothing but trivial (albeit medically important) changes.

This was the largest real-world emprical (sic) test of the principles underlying ID and evolution by other means. ID was confirmed and evolution by any other means was repudiated. Feel free to offer an explanation for the lack of any significant creative evolution in P.falciparum under the rubric of the modern synthesis. And don’t say ID doesn’t make testable predictions. It did and the prediction was confirmed. Furthermore it continues to predict that no significant creative evolution will take place in P.falciparum in any of the billions of trillions of replications it undergoes every single year. Can the modern synthesis even make a prediction in that regard? At this point it appears it cannot. The theory absent predictions in regard to creative evolution appears to be the modern synthesis not intelligent design.

Later in the comment thread MacT skates close to the bannination edge by arguing with DT over some of the idiotic things in his comment, and BA77 chimes in with his notions about reality      
A rock is composed of three basic ingredients; energy, force and truth.
and the non-theological nature of ID    
Thus, by the rules of logic this means truth emanates from God. So in answer to our question “What is Truth?” we can answer that truth comes from God.

All Science So Far!

http://www.answers.com/predict&r=67
pre·dict (pr?-d?kt') pronunciation

v., -dict·ed, -dict·ing, -dicts.

v.tr.

To state, tell about, or make known in advance, especially on the basis of special knowledge.

my bolding.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,22:28   

I hesitate before making a comment that might zoom off into politics, but does Davetard remind anyone else of Steven Den Beste?

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,23:05   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Nov. 05 2007,14:57)
Has Dembski joined the HIV deniers club yet?

He quotes Jonathan Wells and Tom Bethell approvingly.

He doesn't have the guts to come out and say that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, however. I doubt that he believes that anyway. But he'll quote approvingly the "open-mindedness" of others because it suits his purpose (as it suited DaveScot's for the same reason).

It's like the whole age of the earth question - "Oh, it could be this or it could be that - what's the difference?" No thought of the consequences. It's just a game to them.

And these guys have the nerve to speak of morality.

Hermagoras said it best:  
To DaveScot,

I’m not surprised that you are skeptical of the HIV/AIDS connection, since you seem to be enjoy taking the oddball view for its own sake. To repeat your own (extraordinarily chilling) word to AIDS victims, I’m sure this behavior is thrilling and the thrill is a reward but you don't have any right to complain if you get hurt doing it.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2007,23:27   

ODIOUS TARDS. Anachronisms from less enlightened times.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

themartu

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,03:33   

[quote=Altabin,Nov. 05 2007,14:45]
Quote (Richardthughes @ Nov. 05 2007,15:40)
DaveTard:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/science....-146112

OK, here's my response to Dave - not too long-winded, I hope.

Look at this:

This is a plate from Athanasius Kircher's work On light and shadow, a seventeenth-century work on optics and, more broadly, any kind of radiation.  (Clipped from Paula Findlen's seminal article "Jokes of Nature and Jokes of Knowledge: The Playfulness of Scientific Discourse in Early Modern Europe").

Kircher reproduces here stones that have been shaped "by the effort of nature the painter" - so-called "figured stones" that, through the action of nature have taken on shapes that are meaningful to us.  Here Kircher depicts an entire alphabet of stones; in the upper left-hand corner you see an entire cityscape revealed upon splitting a rock (this sort of figured stone was very popular in Renaissance and early-modern museums, particularly if the picture happened to resemble the city in which the museum was located).

There is a huge, and rich modern literature out there about the place of these fortuitous patterns in medieval and early-modern science.  In general, though, our predecessors were all agreed that such things were not the work of intelligence.  They weren't crazy; they didn't imagine that Jesus, or some other disembodied telic entity was out there making little sculptures to amuse them.

They explained these objects in a variety of ways.  Some thought that they were simply accidents - but most people considered that a bit of a cop out.  Others argued that since the planets strongly influenced the development of minerals in the ground, they could also shape them in ways meaningful to humans.  After all, if a particular combination of planets could affect the destiny of Strasbourg, surely the same combination could make a stone look like Strasbourg.

Others, finally, thought that God had set up nature to be overflowing with creativity - a kind of exuberance that exhibited itself through visual pun and experiment (the topic of Paula F.'s paper).

Whatever the explanation, though, they were convinced that these were objects explicable within nature.  They had not been shaped by supernatural forces, still less by human hands.

Now take a look like this:

This is an ancient cameo, carved in the 3rd century BC.  It depicts the Hellenistic king Ptolemy II, and his sister and wife Arsinoe II.   It is one of the great masterpieces of ancient crafts.

When Albert the Great wrote his book On minerals in the 13th century, he described this very gem, then decorating a reliquary in Cologne (after passing through many owners, it is now in St Petersburg).

What is crucial, though, is that he explained the cameo as a natural object.  He went to considerable length to show how a combination of earthly "exhalations," flowing waters and planetary influence could have given rise to these patterns so similar to human figures.

It was the same sort of thing as the other figured stones he discussed -- a natural object, needing a natural explanation.  He did not seriously consider that it was made by a human being, since there was no known technology that could have produced such incredibly fine detailing on a tiny piece of stone.

Albert was not stupid - quite the opposite.  His false conclusion was an argument to the best explanation - because he knew of no human agent that could produce such a thing.

Thus all of Dave's talk about recognizing that flints are designed objects is simply nonsense.  The "designedness" of flints does not assert itself directly to us.  We only infer that they are designed because we know an awful lot about the designer -- us -- and what s/he is capable of doing.  If we believed that humans were incapable of making such things, we would conclude that some other agent or natural process was responsible for them.

To labor the point once again: unless we have a similar information about the designer, we cannot in principle infer biological design - at least not without falling into the same sort of error as poor old Albert.

De-lurking to say this I found this very informative, thank you.

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,05:26   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Nov. 05 2007,16:15)
In hardback, The God Delusion has sold 326,694 copies. It's still selling 2000+ a week.

Paperback is due in January, at which time it will pick up again. By the end of next year, it's fairly likely there will be close to a million copies in print.

Worldwide, the English-language version has sold 1.25 million copies, and there are 31 foreign-language editions.

(From Dawkins' speech at the AAI convention)

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,06:28   

Has DaveTard jumped the shark? His new post at UD proposes what he calls an ID hypothesis  
The biological ID hypothesis can be stated as:

All complex biological systems are generated by intelligent agents.

and then alleges that Behe has tested it  
P.falciparum replicating billions of trillions of times in the past few decades represents the largest search to date for a “black swan”. This is orders of magnitude more replications than took place in the evolution of reptiles to mammals wherein there are many exceedingly complex biological systems that separate them. If P.falciparum had been seen generating any complex biological systems such as those that distinguish mammals from reptiles then it would have falsified the ID hypothesis. None were observed. This doesn’t prove ID but it certainly lends strong support to it. All perfectly scientific.

P.S. I understand that an actual black swan has been observed and Popper’s hypothetical example was indeed falsified. That is exactly how science is supposed to work. Now it’s up to the time & chance worshippers to falsify the ID hypothesis. Good luck.

Besides the math issues bolded above, I guess I missed the part where Behe had any evidence about an "intelligent agent". I hope that the commenters (so far none) can explain that a bit better. I suspect that they will identify the agent for us, per usual.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,06:37   

DaveScot: The biological ID hypothesis can be stated as:

We already know, or may reasonably presume, that complex biological systems can be generated by intelligent agents. There’s a whole discipline called “Genetic Engineering” devoted to it. What we don’t know is whether any non-intelligent means can generate complex biological systems. A single observation of a complex biological system generated by a non-intelligent cause will falsify the biological ID hypothesis.

Well, we have that observation on many levels. Every time a person is conceived and born. Every time we observe the evolution of a novel structure such as nylonase. Every time we reconstruct and verify the evolutionary history of life. And every time a virus such as HIV has evolved significant new biochemical properties.

DaveScot: All perfectly scientific.

Sure it is. Other than the logical fallacy. What DaveScot is doing is assuming his conclusion, petitio principii. He has implicitly predetermined that life is *not* "a complex biological system generated by a non-intelligent cause".

--------------

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,06:53   

This is a critical point.  Well said.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,07:51   

Here's a howler from the comment thread on DT's latest idiocy. Someone named Lutepisc sez  
Dave, I think you’ve got a book in you. I can see it starting to develop like one of those old Polaroid pictures…

More like a sweat stain on a USMC t-shirt...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

djmullen

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,08:19   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 06 2007,06:28)
Has DaveTard jumped the shark? His new post at UD proposes what he calls an ID hypothesis      

and then alleges that Behe has tested it      
P.falciparum replicating billions of trillions of times in the past few decades represents the largest search to date for a “black swan”. This is orders of magnitude more replications than took place in the evolution of reptiles to mammals wherein there are many exceedingly complex biological systems that separate them. If P.falciparum had been seen generating any complex biological systems such as those that distinguish mammals from reptiles then it would have falsified the ID hypothesis. None were observed. This doesn’t prove ID but it certainly lends strong support to it. All perfectly scientific.

P.S. I understand that an actual black swan has been observed and Popper’s hypothetical example was indeed falsified. That is exactly how science is supposed to work. Now it’s up to the time & chance worshippers to falsify the ID hypothesis. Good luck.

Besides the math issues bolded above, I guess I missed the part where Behe had any evidence about an "intelligent agent". I hope that the commenters (so far none) can explain that a bit better. I suspect that they will identify the agent for us, per usual.

I wonder if it has ever occurred to Dave or Behe or any other IDist that p.falciparum, like every other organism on the planet, is the product of several billion years of evolution and that it might be about as well adapted to its host as it can get?

Nah.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,08:58   

I love it when they play science. Davetard is now defining his terms...

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,09:05   

Quote (keiths @ Nov. 06 2007,05:26)

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Nov. 05 2007,16:15)

Worldwide, the English-language version has sold 1.25 million copies, and there are 31 foreign-language editions.

(From Dawkins' speech at the AAI convention)

Big deal. My own book has sold around 10000000 copies.

(We all are using the binary system, right?)

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

hereoisreal

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,09:08   

I wonder if it has ever occurred to anyone that symmetry, in every  organism on the planet, is the product of several billion years of evolution and that it might be about as well adapted to its host as it can get?

Nah.

Zero

--------------
360  miracles and more at:
http://www.hereoisreal.com/....eal.com

Great news. God’s wife is pregnant! (Rev. 12:5)

It's not over till the fat lady sings! (Isa. 54:1 & Zec 9:9)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,09:16   

Wait, wait, wait. THIS is DaveTard's great contribution to ID? A 'hypothesis' that basically states "ID is right"?

And his idea of 'proving' this is the stability of P.falciparum. Everything else proving evolution can be ignored.

P.falciparum hasn't changed, therefore Goddidit.

And it's the responsibility of real scientists to disprove this breathtaking methodology.

Seriously, I think Dave is getting desperate. I think he's pissed at how little he has to show for the last 3 years of his retirement (unless you count a firm reputation as an inadvertent comic genius), and so he's trying to forcibly grab some kind of cheesy scientific legitimacy. In one stroke, DaveTard creates "ID predictions" where there were none before: "anything complicated is designed".

But pitiful as it is, Dave Tard *is* now as qualified to write books on ID as anyone else who is currently doing so.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,09:27   

Quote (Kristine @ Nov. 05 2007,23:05)
Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Nov. 05 2007,14:57)
Has Dembski joined the HIV deniers club yet?

He quotes Jonathan Wells and Tom Bethell approvingly.

He doesn't have the guts to come out and say that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, however. I doubt that he believes that anyway. But he'll quote approvingly the "open-mindedness" of others because it suits his purpose (as it suited DaveScot's for the same reason).

It's like the whole age of the earth question - "Oh, it could be this or it could be that - what's the difference?" No thought of the consequences. It's just a game to them.

And these guys have the nerve to speak of morality.

Hermagoras said it best:  
To DaveScot,

I’m not surprised that you are skeptical of the HIV/AIDS connection, since you seem to be enjoy taking the oddball view for its own sake. To repeat your own (extraordinarily chilling) word to AIDS victims, I’m sure this behavior is thrilling and the thrill is a reward but you don't have any right to complain if you get hurt doing it.

Thanks for the ino/links, Kristine.

What total douchebags they are.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,09:29   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Nov. 06 2007,09:16)
But pitiful as it is, Dave Tard *is* now as qualified to write books on ID as anyone else who is currently doing so.

Well, he is a hell of a better writer than Denyse - of course, so is my 7th grade son...

In one of her latest screeds, she opens a paragraph with "First"... 1,000 words later she finishes up, and still hasn't gotten to "Second!  ".

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,09:44   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 06 2007,07:51)
Here's a howler from the comment thread on DT's latest idiocy. Someone named Lutepisc sez  
Dave, I think you’ve got a book in you. I can see it starting to develop like one of those old Polaroid pictures…

More like a sweat stain on a USMC t-shirt...

If anyone has posting powers at UD please use them to encourage Dave Tard to write an ID book.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,10:11   

Dippy Joe G chimes in:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-146278

Joseph

11/06/2007

10:10 am
My 2 cents:

Intelligent Design: The Design Hypothesis

and

Explaing the “I” in ID

Put your coffee down, click the links. Amazingly stupid.

--------------

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 06 2007,10:17   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Nov. 06 2007,10:11)
Dippy Joe G chimes in:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-146278

Joseph

11/06/2007

10:10 am
My 2 cents:

Intelligent Design: The Design Hypothesis

and

Explaing the “I” in ID

Put your coffee down, click the links. Amazingly stupid.

This is like getting a front row seat to someone's mental illness.  I should feel empathy but instead i can't stop laughing.

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 705 706 707 708 709 [710] 711 712 713 714 715 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]