RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < ... 327 328 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 336 337 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2008,11:16   

There will hopefully be a few more reasonable Kansans (or at least better educated Kansans) after the spring semester here at KSU. The Center for the Understanding of Origins (a joint venture of the KSU Biology, Physics, Geology, Philosophy, English & History departments) will be sponsoring several lectures coinciding with the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth and the 150th anniversary of the publication of "The Origin of Species". Here's the lineup so far:

February 26/27: Jeffrey Schwartz, physical anthropologist from the University of Pittsburgh

March 25: David Quammen; Wallace Stegner chair in Western American Studies at Montana State University; author of "The Reluctant Mr. Darwin."

April 8/9: Kenneth Miller, biologist from Brown University; will speak on intelligent design and evolution.

And we are working on an invitation (sponsored as well by our chapter of Phi Beta Kappa) for  Robert J. Richards, Morris Fishbein Professor of Science and Medicine at the University of Chicago and the author of "The Tragic Sense of Life: Ernst Haeckel and the Struggle over Evolutionary Thought". If we can make these arrangements, his talk would probably be in April sometime after Miller's appearance here.

I know that FtK wants us to celebrate the Disco boys bogus "Academic Freedom" Day in February; thankfully there are academics who really understand what academic freedom means, and some of them will be here in the spring. Make your plans to visit Manhattan for one of these events!

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2008,11:21   

We need another one of these...Disco Demolition Night

It is Steve Dahl's Birthday!  Maybe he could invite Rob, and Casey to a new "disco celebration"?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

bfish

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2008,13:12   

Quote (J-Dog @ Nov. 20 2008,09:21)

It is Steve Dahl's Birthday!  Maybe he could invite Rob, and Casey to a new "disco celebration"?

Yikes! I spent all too much of my freshman year in college listening to Steve Dahl and Garry Meyers. Might explain my grades. And everything that's happened subsequently. I can haz time machine?

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2008,18:05   

Uh oh. FTK has just been interviewed by the Onion.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2008,18:36   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Nov. 22 2008,19:05)

Damn, they're good.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2008,18:45   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Nov. 22 2008,18:05)

Nailed It!

Are they reading our site again???!!!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2008,22:18   

Damn, they're good.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Lowell

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,00:16   

It could use some random capitalization, but still pretty hilarious.

By the way, what is with the capitalization thing? What makes people think that capitalizing X makes X more real? I've sunk into the depths at Slate's "Faith-Based" forum and that rhetorical device (if it can even be called that) is all the rage.

--------------
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most well documented events of antiquity. Barry Arrington, Jan 17, 2012.

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2008,10:40   

Quote (Lowell @ Nov. 23 2008,00:16)

By the way, what is with the capitalization thing? What makes people think that capitalizing X makes X more real? I've sunk into the depths at Slate's "Faith-Based" forum and that rhetorical device (if it can even be called that) is all the rage.

I think it's based in a lack of education.  It's not that they are purposely using a rhetorical device, it's that they don't have a sufficient grasp of language.  They cannot use language to express themselves adequately, so they resort to weirdness: capitals, quotation marks, asterisks, etc.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2008,11:01   

Quote (blipey @ Nov. 25 2008,10:40)

I think it's based in a lack of education.  It's not that they are purposely using a rhetorical device, it's that they don't have a sufficient grasp of language.  They cannot use language to express themselves adequately, so they resort to weirdness: capitals, quotation marks, asterisks, etc.

HAY DAMMIT I ARE NOT UNEDUMACATED !!!!!?#()@#%&! !!  

DARWINNISTS

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2008,14:19   

Quote (blipey @ Nov. 25 2008,16:40)

"WHAT?"*

Louis

*Oh but surely these things, in the right hands, can be tools for effective communication? Of course in the wrong hands....

{evil laughter}

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2008,15:09   

Quote (Louis @ Nov. 25 2008,14:19)
Quote (blipey @ Nov. 25 2008,16:40)

"WHAT?"*

Louis

*Oh but surely these things, in the right hands, can be tools for effective communication? Of course in the wrong hands....

{evil laughter}

Same with ALL CAPS MAN!

I had to go ballistic earlier with old Christian Martyar William Wallace at ERV's site.  Well, okay, I didn't have to go ballistic, but hot damn it sure felt good.  

If you do go over to the site to read my tirade, I think it should be pointed out that to be enjoyed fully, you must picture me holding Wiliam's head firmly in my hands, and emphasizing each syllable with a firm push, forcing Mr. Wallace's head into sharp contact with a hard surface, closely resembling a brick wall.

My comment is at the end.

ERV

--------------

EyeNoU

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,15:56   

FtK says her laptop died and her blogging days will have to cease. Anybody care to lend her a laptop so she can continue? Where's Blipey when you need him?

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,16:00   

Quote (EyeNoU @ Dec. 01 2008,15:56)
FtK says her laptop died and her blogging days will have to cease. Anybody care to lend her a laptop so she can continue? Where's Blipey when you need him?

Can't we all just pray for a miracle?  Maybe we should wait at least the basic 3 days, see if anything happens?

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,16:09   

FTK has an excuse for everything. It could blog from an internet cafe once a year if it wanted.

Someone better copy the website for future generations of tardaholics to pore over.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,16:47   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Dec. 01 2008,17:09)
FTK has an excuse for everything. It could blog from an internet cafe once a year if it wanted.

Someone better copy the website for future generations of tardaholics to pore over.

anybody with a linux box and a better connection than me can type

wget -l 10 http://reasonablekansans.blogspot.com/

It's been pretty boring over there lately.

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,16:48   

Who needs ftk anymore?

We could create a device like the Magic 8 Ball and fill it with ftk answers.

We'd call it the Magic Nut Ball.

Pose a question, shake the Nut Ball and viola!

For example:

How do you rehydrate a dehydrated hydroplate?

*shake*  *shake*  *shake*

LOL!

Blipy is a pig!

Go figger!

I didn't shoot the damn ducks, geese, herons, whatever!

Call Walt and he'll tell you.  Here's his number:  BR-549.

I think it makes perfect sense.

p.s.  yes, I meant to type viola.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,16:50   

Quote (EyeNoU @ Dec. 01 2008,15:56)
FtK says her laptop died and her blogging days will have to cease.

Dang. There is a god after all!

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,19:14   

Bwahahahaha Doc Bill with a good 'un!

:)   :)   :p

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,23:07   

Quote (J-Dog @ Nov. 20 2008,11:21)

Sure, why not? I loved Disco (so sue me), but I've got Fridays off now. :)

As long as we remember what replaced disco - and I ain't talking Springsteen.

*shimmy* *shimmy* *shimmy*

science's so confusing, there's no peace of mind

Once I had a love and it was divine
Soon found out I was losing my mind
etc.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,23:50   

kristine you have been missed.  this is more or less a sausage party these days (except for the neuters).  bless you khan.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Nerdette

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2008,02:25   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 20 2008,11:16)
And we are working on an invitation (sponsored as well by our chapter of Phi Beta Kappa) for  Robert J. Richards, Morris Fishbein Professor of Science and Medicine at the University of Chicago and the author of "The Tragic Sense of Life: Ernst Haeckel and the Struggle over Evolutionary Thought". If we can make these arrangements, his talk would probably be in April sometime after Miller's appearance here.

UChicago-Kansan here just encouraging attendance for Prof. Richards.  I'm currently concluding his Darwin course and have nothing but the highest praise for it.  Richards is a great professor and engaging speaker - I wish I could attend more of his lectures outside of class!

I'll try to put in a word of support towards his participation, and ask him to say hello to Kansas for me :).

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2008,06:45   

Kristine! You are my role model!

-lkeithlu
(NOT part of the sausage brigade) :D

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2008,06:54   

Quote (Nerdette @ Dec. 02 2008,10:25)
Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 20 2008,11:16)

UChicago-Kansan here just encouraging attendance for Prof. Richards.  I'm currently concluding his Darwin course and have nothing but the highest praise for it.  Richards is a great professor and engaging speaker - I wish I could attend more of his lectures outside of class!

I'll try to put in a word of support towards his participation, and ask him to say hello to Kansas for me :).

U COMPLETE TART ...Can i have ur phurmone number?

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2008,06:59   

Quote (Kristine @ Dec. 02 2008,00:07)

Kristine!

Can RTH be far behind? Lenny?!

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2008,07:15   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Dec. 02 2008,14:59)
Quote (Kristine @ Dec. 02 2008,00:07)

Kristine!

Can RTH be far behind? Lenny?!

HEY GIT IN LINE HOMO!

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 08 2008,14:57   

Hey guys,

Guess what I found on my front doorstep this morning??!

The latest edition of Walt's book....*smiles*.

So, be sure to order your copy ASAP!  Lots of new stuff.

Honestly $30 is a bargain..the book huge.  Of course, I got mine free because I'm so darn cool that Walt couldn't resist sending me copy.  AND, remember, the whole thing is online, so you don't *have* to buy it.

Oh, and here's another book you stinkers should read....

The Reason for God:  Belief in an Age of Skepticism

This book is based on many philosophical reasons for believing in God.  Looks like it's been pretty boring around here lately, so buy the book, read it, and post your thoughts.  I would LOVE to read your comments about it.

MISS YOU ALL TERRIBLY!!!!!!

Hugs and Kisses,
~FtK

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 08 2008,15:05   

Boring? What with Dembski folding his tent and all?

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 08 2008,15:11   

Quote (Ftk @ Dec. 08 2008,12:57)
Honestly $30 is a bargain..the book huge.

Do we have a Sentence of the Week award?  Or was it given to FTK in perpetuity?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 08 2008,15:39   

Quote (Ftk @ Dec. 08 2008,14:57)
the book huge.

The book huge. The book old.

I can see a pattern here!

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

10202 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < ... 327 328 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 336 337 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]