RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   
  Topic: Is the US is losing the battle for science ?, Creationism< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

(Permalink) Posted: July 16 2010,10:28   

Speaking as a teacher, I have noticed a definite trend within the schools I taught at.

There is a (for lack of a better word) divide forming.  On one side you've got a small group of students with some real knowledge, skills, and potentional in regards to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).  On the other side, there is a large number of students for whom STEM is out of reach.  

By "out of reach" I mean, the students don't have the knowledge and skills that they should have for the course or grade they are in.*  They also don't have any interest in STEM because of a variety of factors, but many come from previous instruction by poor quality teachers.

Of course, socio-economic issues are a big part of this as well (though they can afford $250 Nike shoes and 3 X-boxes, but they are still on the school lunch program).

Unfortunately, because everything in our future revolves around science, these kids (who will grow up to be a large block of voters) will not understand the issues or how to deal with them.

In that regard, I think that, yes, we are losing the battle for science.

* My favorite example was a student who had been placed in Chemistry I who was in his third year of developmental math (i.e. not yet up to 8th grade math level).

Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

39 replies since July 15 2010,16:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]