RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (74) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Wildlife, What's in your back yard?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

(Permalink) Posted: May 10 2008,15:14   

Quote (Lou FCD @ May 10 2008,14:28)
I just spent about a half-hour tossing the ball with Shakespeare in the back yard.

While I was standing by the back tree line, a Catbird alighted on a branch about ten or twelve feet from me and decided it was safe to serenade us.  Shakespeare just took a seat beside me and watched him rather calmly.

It seemed like he pulled out every piece of sheet music he had.  Catbirds always fascinate me in that such a wide repertoire is contained all in one animal.

I just spent an hour and a half rescuing a baby barn swallow out of my barn loft.  The swallows like to build nests in the rafters of the lower level of my barn. I normally tear them down immediately, but they managed to put a nest in a new location and by the time I discovered it, there were already chicks in it. Those chicks are now learning to fly and one managed to find its way into the loft. I opened the loft doors and gave the little fella some time, but he never managed to fly out.  So I grabbed a towel and captured the little fella and took him down to ground level where his sibling was hopping around.  They have both now disappeared, so I assume my rescue was successful.

I have dubbed the episode "another chapter in the book why animal lovers shouldn't live in the country."

It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

2214 replies since Jan. 24 2008,14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (74) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]