RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (74) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Wildlife, What's in your back yard?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

(Permalink) Posted: April 28 2008,21:03   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ April 28 2008,17:07)
My best wildlife sighting of the weekend was three species of Zonotrichia sparrows, White-throated, White-crowned, and Harris' Sparrow, all feeding on the ground beneath my feeders, within a few inches of each other. I ran for the camera but they had dispersed before I could get it deployed.

While out filling in collapsed gopher tunnels in my pasture, one of my dogs flushed a wild turkey. The poor thing was having a hard time getting altitude and did a faceplant into a wire mesh fence. Dog almost caught it before it took off again, this time parallel to the fence, and hightailed it into a juniper tree.  I looked where it came from and found it a nest with 13 eggs in it.  I'm not sure how long they have been there, so I'll need to keep an eye out to see when they hatch.

It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

2214 replies since Jan. 24 2008,14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (74) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]