RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >   
  Topic: Comment on Moderation, (temporary topic)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 03 2006,14:48   

Popper might be interested to know that a lot of philosophers of science don't believe pseudoscience exists. Rather, they think it is just really, really bad science which produces nothing.
You get the problems then of things like string theory and evolutionary psychology.

Even if there's no clear, perfect philisophical distinction between science and pseudoscience, for practical purposes there is.
I agree, whats also useful I find is the distinction between pseudoscience and protoscience. If the only exposure to ID I had was Telic Thoughts for example, I would consider classifying it as protoscience. Their claim seems to be that ID is not yet science, and it is they who need to come up with theories, test predictions etc. When I have suggested this over at UD I have been told that it is bollocks (their word not mine), and ID has infact been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, and only the atheist conspiracy says otherwise. When confronted with this you tend to classify it as a pseudoscience, so i think the label is useful and means something other than just makes unproven claims.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 03 2006,17:51   

There may never be a clearcut demarcation criterion to tell when what you are considering is science.

However, any attempt that puts "ID" as it has been pitched so far by the DI (and that means the whole ensemble of what they've said, not picking and choosing what bits to push and which to ignore) into the "science" bin is clearly hosed and should be discarded.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

31 replies since Aug. 29 2006,05:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]