RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (459) < ... 442 443 444 445 446 [447] 448 449 450 451 452 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 22 2019,20:24   

Quote (stevestory @ Dec. 22 2019,17:38)
Sven Mil
December 22, 2019 at 7:26 pm
Call it whatever you want, but the nonsense you spout is no better than BA’s quantum mechanics schtick.
Irreducible complexity is just a way to shoehorn design into something complex.
It amounts to:
“look at how complex this is! It must be designed!”

linky

It's evolution.  Holy spirit->elan vital->CSI.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 22 2019,21:09   

bump

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 22 2019,21:29   

Maybe somebody should ask them: If the universe was designed, how come our sun does not have a waste disposal system?

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 22 2019,21:59   

Quote (Henry J @ Dec. 22 2019,21:29)
Maybe somebody should ask them: If the universe was designed, how come our sun does not have a waste disposal system?

If you gave them some sort of truth serum, I think the answer would be some combination of god’s plan/mysterious ways/The Fall.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 23 2019,06:12   

ET
December 22, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Acartia Eddie:

Am I the only one who notices the similarity between the debating styles of Sven and ET?

Only you [insert any given evoTARD] could. Unlike Sven I provide the evidence and references to support what I say.

[citation needed]

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 23 2019,07:59   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Dec. 23 2019,05:59)

If you gave them some sort of truth serum, I think the answer would be some combination of god’s plan/mysterious ways/The Fall.

dont forget the "RAPTURE™"

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 23 2019,17:06   

BS77 and Silver think that christians created representative gummint

The Romans would be shocked to hear that.

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 23 2019,19:00   

Quote (stevestory @ Dec. 23 2019,17:06)
BS77 and Silver think that christians created representative gummint

The Romans would be shocked to hear that.

The Greeks beat the Romans to it by five centuries.

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 23 2019,19:13   

Quote (k.e.. @ Dec. 23 2019,06:59)

Too late; I forgot.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 24 2019,09:27   

Quote (Henry J @ Dec. 24 2019,03:13)

Too late; I forgot.

Don't  worry only all the JW idiots left...erm were "uplifted" while everyone else enjoyed a morning  Java. The ones that didn't make  it becuz you know nail painting ...and......Joe's dog birthday partay organizer vs his own swamp swim thru the outboard oil slicked drains of Louisiana  missed the alarm due to the delay getting into their reimagined prerafaelite minimalist pigment economics for the walmart spring cotton collection in humidity absorbing salvation for turtles which die from ID perspiration. Joe must get up before getting his fingers burnt trying to download the ID app of the millennium....Jerusalem donkey uber transport ......wait for it .only posts once a year ..... Death rides on haiy asses on demand.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 24 2019,10:33   

But what's that in English?

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 24 2019,18:29   

Quote (k.e.. @ Dec. 24 2019,09:27)
Quote (Henry J @ Dec. 24 2019,03:13)

Too late; I forgot.

Don't  worry only all the JW idiots left...erm were "uplifted" while everyone else enjoyed a morning  Java. The ones that didn't make  it becuz you know nail painting ...and......Joe's dog birthday partay organizer vs his own swamp swim thru the outboard oil slicked drains of Louisiana  missed the alarm due to the delay getting into their reimagined prerafaelite minimalist pigment economics for the walmart spring cotton collection in humidity absorbing salvation for turtles which die from ID perspiration. Joe must get up before getting his fingers burnt trying to download the ID app of the millennium....Jerusalem donkey uber transport ......wait for it .only posts once a year ..... Death rides on haiy asses on demand.

I don't want to be on even the same landmass as k.e.'s eggnog.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 25 2019,10:22   

Ed George
December 25, 2019 at 10:15 am
VB

That’s not saying much since by modern progressive standards anyone who is a religious white male non progressive is a racist.

Non-progressive does not mean racist. You can believe that welfare is bad, that universal health care is bad, that homosexuals shouldn’t be allowed to marry or serve in the military, that abortion should be banned, and oppose affirmative action without being a racist. However, if you believe that inter-racial marriages shouldn’t be allowed, that immigration should be dominated by white Christians, then you are a racist. It’s really quite simple.

Getting back to the founding fathers and the constitution, anyone who believes that they intended for all humans, regardless of sex and race, haven’t read the constitution or a history book. KF’s “under false colour of law” is the same argument that was used against granting blacks, Chinese and women the vote, on legalizing inter-racial marriage, etc. The big question is, who decides what is constitutionally protected and what is “under false colour of law”?
linky

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2019,06:08   

Quote (stevestory @ Dec. 25 2019,10:22)
Ed George
December 25, 2019 at 10:15 am
VB

That’s not saying much since by modern progressive standards anyone who is a religious white male non progressive is a racist.

Non-progressive does not mean racist. You can believe that welfare is bad, that universal health care is bad, that homosexuals shouldn’t be allowed to marry or serve in the military, that abortion should be banned, and oppose affirmative action without being a racist. However, if you believe that inter-racial marriages shouldn’t be allowed, that immigration should be dominated by white Christians, then you are a racist. It’s really quite simple.

Getting back to the founding fathers and the constitution, anyone who believes that they intended for all humans, regardless of sex and race, haven’t read the constitution or a history book. KF’s “under false colour of law” is the same argument that was used against granting blacks, Chinese and women the vote, on legalizing inter-racial marriage, etc. The big question is, who decides what is constitutionally protected and what is “under false colour of law”?
linky

As with all fundamentalists KF only accepts the one law he puts into the bible, the US constitution, any other religous and legal text himself.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2019,17:57   

Oh boy!  The IDiots at the DI have announced a new top secret sooper dooper research project:  The arrival of Intelligent Design 3.0!

After the Discovery Institute staff Christmas lunch last week, Stephen Meyer sat down with me for a quick video discussion of an extensive research project that, until now, has been deliberately kept from public. It’s Intelligent Design 3.0, an effort not to make the scientific case for ID directly but, instead, to use design insights to open up avenues for new scientific discoveries…

ID 1.0 was pretend to be science, ixsnay on the odgay, and got their lying asses handed to them at Kitzmiller v. Dover.  :D

ID 2.0 was admit God did it, write more garbage pseudo-science books for ignorant laymen (Meyer, Behe, Wells), do anything to try and keep ID in the public eye as its support numbers asymptotically approached zero.  :D

I can't wait to see what the clowns, er, ID researchers have come up with.  Looks like they've given up on a scientific case for ID and must have some new angle to bamboozle their True Believers into coughing up more money.  :)

--------------

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2019,19:38   

Kansas Citizens for Science had some great t-shirts made back in the early 2000's, with two columns labeled Great Discoveries in Science on the right and Intelligent Design on the left. Guess which column was blank! :-)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2019,21:08   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Dec. 27 2019,18:57)
Oh boy!  The IDiots at the DI have announced a new top secret sooper dooper research project:  The arrival of Intelligent Design 3.0!

After the Discovery Institute staff Christmas lunch last week, Stephen Meyer sat down with me for a quick video discussion of an extensive research project that, until now, has been deliberately kept from public. It’s Intelligent Design 3.0, an effort not to make the scientific case for ID directly but, instead, to use design insights to open up avenues for new scientific discoveries…

ID 1.0 was pretend to be science, ixsnay on the odgay, and got their lying asses handed to them at Kitzmiller v. Dover.  :D

ID 2.0 was admit God did it, write more garbage pseudo-science books for ignorant laymen (Meyer, Behe, Wells), do anything to try and keep ID in the public eye as its support numbers asymptotically approached zero.  :D

I can't wait to see what the clowns, er, ID researchers have come up with.  Looks like they've given up on a scientific case for ID and must have some new angle to bamboozle their True Believers into coughing up more money.  :)

I’ve been following pandasthumb since 2004. I have yet to see any ID Science.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2019,22:22   

Jhervati
December 27, 2019 at 5:14 pm
An abiogenesis explanation for the origin of life does NOT entail the spontaneous emergence of a complex protein. The explanation would involve much simpler structures that over millions of years would gradually evolve into self-sustaining biological organisms. On the other side, what is the probability that an all-powerful intelligent designer just sprang up out of the void who is able to create those complex proteins with a snap of His fingers??
linky

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 27 2019,23:23   

Then again, why would the "designer" need to snap its fingers if it had a universe in which what it wanted could evolve?

Not to mention, why would it need fingers?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2019,08:51   

Quote (Henry J @ Dec. 28 2019,00:23)
Not to mention, why would it need fingers?

So it can stroke its big white beard, duh.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2019,15:30   

ID 3.0: Exploring the Infinity Gauntlet as a Possible Mechanism for Intelligent Design

--------------
Lou FCD is still in school, so we should only count him as a baby biologist. -carlsonjok -deprecated
I think I might love you. Don't tell Deadman -Wolfhound

Work-friendly photography
NSFW photography

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2019,16:00   

Jstanley01
December 28, 2019 at 2:25 pm
My favorite David Bentley Hart lecture focuses on the differences between, “the mythic and devotional stories that peoples tell about their gods and the ontological and modal claims that the great monotheistic traditions of the ‘axial age’ and after have made about God,” where Hart zooms in on “the qualitative conceptual gulf” between them. Specifically, on a distinction of category which must be made between the ritual sacrifices pandemic to our species from deep time and the sacrifices that Abraham’s God required when He came on stage.

Hart not only shows that the two served wholly different functions, but that they were at odds. And not only at odds; Hart shows how the latter exposed and overthrew the former’s bankruptcy and corruption. Not by prevailing in war, much less by winning, for all time, abstract intellectual arguments via books, lectures or blog posts. Rather, it was by a victory won on a hill called The Place of a Skull where the two kinds of sacrifice contended in the singular sacrifice of one man — whom all previous sacrifices back to Isaac had foreshadowed — where Abraham’s God answered the depth of humankind’s genuine existential needs once and for all, proximately and ultimately.

It turns out, the problem wasn’t death, like everybody thought. It was sin, go figure.

On the way, Hart successfully disposes of the simplistic hypothesis of Marx and Freud et. al. – which lightweights like Dawkins love to parrot — that religion evolved to comfort human beings, in our angst over our mortality, with childish hopes of an afterlife. A notion which the evidence that Hart canvases from the prehistory and history of religion not only renders mistaken, but laughable.

When it comes to humankind’s “mythical and devotional stories,” laying aside the first, there’s a whole lot wrapped up in that second adjective, “devotional.” The bulk of which still survives in underground form today (paganism with its pantheon having receded since Christ, but in principle, it has not vanished, but rather, still rules). And none of it is pretty.

David Bentley Hart – Death, Sacrifice, and Resurrection
maybe this is ID 3.0

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2019,18:32   

Quote (stevestory @ Dec. 28 2019,14:00)

Jstanley01
December 28, 2019 at 2:25 pm
My favorite David Bentley Hart lecture focuses on the differences between, “the mythic and devotional stories that peoples tell about their gods and the ontological and modal claims that the great monotheistic traditions of the ‘axial age’ and after have made about God,” where Hart zooms in on “the qualitative conceptual gulf” between them. Specifically, on a distinction of category which must be made between the ritual sacrifices pandemic to our species from deep time and the sacrifices that Abraham’s God required when He came on stage.

Hart not only shows that the two served wholly different functions, but that they were at odds. And not only at odds; Hart shows how the latter exposed and overthrew the former’s bankruptcy and corruption. Not by prevailing in war, much less by winning, for all time, abstract intellectual arguments via books, lectures or blog posts. Rather, it was by a victory won on a hill called The Place of a Skull where the two kinds of sacrifice contended in the singular sacrifice of one man — whom all previous sacrifices back to Isaac had foreshadowed — where Abraham’s God answered the depth of humankind’s genuine existential needs once and for all, proximately and ultimately.

It turns out, the problem wasn’t death, like everybody thought. It was sin, go figure.

On the way, Hart successfully disposes of the simplistic hypothesis of Marx and Freud et. al. – which lightweights like Dawkins love to parrot — that religion evolved to comfort human beings, in our angst over our mortality, with childish hopes of an afterlife. A notion which the evidence that Hart canvases from the prehistory and history of religion not only renders mistaken, but laughable.

When it comes to humankind’s “mythical and devotional stories,” laying aside the first, there’s a whole lot wrapped up in that second adjective, “devotional.” The bulk of which still survives in underground form today (paganism with its pantheon having receded since Christ, but in principle, it has not vanished, but rather, still rules). And none of it is pretty.

David Bentley Hart – Death, Sacrifice, and Resurrection
maybe this is ID 3.0

So much fucking science already.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2019,18:54   

How about this for science (my bold):

Silver Asiatic

Bob: "Jesus himself said he did not come to end the laws."

He did not say laws, but Law. The Law (love of God and love of neighbor) does not pass away. But God abolished the ritual laws. St. Paul teaches it. God no longer desires sacrifices of bulls and calves. Jesus is the true sacrifice. The Old Testament is fulfilled in the new. There is no longer Jew or Greek. All are one in Christ (for those who believe). Those who reject Christ (modern day Jews) are in darkness.

Any Jews at UD? What do you think?

link

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2019,20:59   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Dec. 28 2019,19:54)
Any Jews at UD? What do you think?

Pearlman, who links to his site Torah Discovery, who I think is some kind of Jewish young earth creationist.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 29 2019,15:16   

TAMMIE LEE HAYNES
December 29, 2019 at 1:40 pm
“An early embryo can’t feel pain or fear or sorry at being aborted”

So let’s take a 50 year old Nobel Prize Winning Scientist, who is under anesthesia.
Like the embryo, he can’t feel pain or fear or sorry at being killed.
So, is it okay to kill him, like you do an embryo?
And if not, why not?

IOn a happier note, Dr Dawkins made a good move when he gave up his writing about “selfish genes”. I mean, when you write books about genes that scientists can’t find, aren’t you apt to look like a goof?

That last paragraph is… Something

Edited by stevestory on Dec. 29 2019,18:47

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 29 2019,17:39   

Quote (stevestory @ Dec. 29 2019,15:16)
TAMMIE LEE HAYNES
December 29, 2019 at 1:40 pm
“An early embryo can’t feel pain or fear or sorry at being aborted”

So let’s take a 50 year old Nobel Prize Winning Scientist, who is under anesthesia.
Like the embryo, he can’t feel pain or fear or sorry at being killed.
So, is it okay to kill him, like you do an embryo?
And if not, why not?

IOn a happier note, Dr Dawkins made a good move when he gave up his writing about “selfish genes”. I mean, when you write books about genes that scientists can’t find, aren’t you apt to look like a goof?

[URL=https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/dawkins-raises-an-issue-without-intending-to-can-one-outgrow-god-without-outgrowing-morali

ty/#comment-690228]That last paragraph is… Something[/URL]

The link goes to a 404 error, but the thread is there, including that reply. Maybe a smidgen of a soupcon wrong in the URL?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 29 2019,17:48   

Quote (clamboy @ Dec. 29 2019,18:39)
The link goes to a 404 error, but the thread is there, including that reply. Maybe a smidgen of a soupcon wrong in the URL?

Thanks, fixed it.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 29 2019,18:47   

Quote (stevestory @ Dec. 29 2019,15:48)

Thanks, fixed it.

So much science!!!, so little time...

--------------

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 29 2019,19:22   

Quote (stevestory @ Dec. 29 2019,17:48)

Thanks, fixed it.

Thank you, but now I am not sure I should have pointed it out. That thread is really creepy - smiley evangelical anti-Semitism gives me the heebie-jeebies.

13760 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (459) < ... 442 443 444 445 446 [447] 448 449 450 451 452 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]