RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (444) < ... 434 435 436 437 438 [439] 440 441 442 443 444 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 19 2019,18:10   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Nov. 19 2019,12:21)
Looks like the DI is in financial trouble.  John West himself has a post on EN&V begging for money so they can continue the fight against evil Darwinism.   The EN&V home page now has a pop-up of Ann Gauger begging for donations.  

Douglas Axe already bailed from the sinking ship and took a job at Biola.  I expect more cost saving measures soon.   2020 doesn't look to be a very good year for the DI's anti-science circus.  :)

It's very sad.  Ann Gauger was going to get a picture of a brand new ID lab, but there's no money.

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 19 2019,19:41   

Reapers Plague
November 19, 2019 at 7:36 pm
BA77

Morally noble altruistic behavior of any type, (for instance calling the sign that said “Let the baby die” reprehensible), is simply completely antithetical to Darwin’s ‘survival of the fittest’, i.e. red in tooth and claw, theory. As Darwin himself stated

;
That’s nice. Except that Darwin wasn’t the one who coined “survival of the fittest” or “red in tooth and claw”. When someone starts a thousand word tome with two easily proven falsehoods, it saves me the effort to read the rest. Thank you for your consideration.

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 19 2019,20:40   

Reapers Plague

ET

It makes me glad that a known reprehensible, quote-mining coward thinks so.

Were you bullied as a child or are you just naturally a sociopath? You, obviously, are not worth talking to. I assume this happens to you often.

I don’t think that RP is long for UD.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 19 2019,21:14   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Nov. 19 2019,17:41)
Reapers Plague
November 19, 2019 at 7:36 pm
BA77

Morally noble altruistic behavior of any type, (for instance calling the sign that said “Let the baby die” reprehensible), is simply completely antithetical to Darwin’s ‘survival of the fittest’, i.e. red in tooth and claw, theory. As Darwin himself stated

;
That’s nice. Except that Darwin wasn’t the one who coined “survival of the fittest” or “red in tooth and claw”. When someone starts a thousand word tome with two easily proven falsehoods, it saves me the effort to read the rest. Thank you for your consideration.

(20 seconds of Google-fu later):

...In however complex a manner this feeling may have originated, as it is one of high importance to all those animals which aid and defend one another, it will have been increased through natural selection; for those communities, which included the greatest number of the most sympathetic members, would flourish best,and rear the greatest number of offspring.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2019,21:48   

Joke justifying the Leviticus treatment of homosexuals.
First off with God the death is not a final ending. Perhaps it, the order to kill, was just a way to physically reset the soul, which was placed in a defective body.

So with that in mind, the context would be in the time it was written to rid your population of sexual deviants intent on committing perverse, immoral and unnatural acts. There isn’t any “being fruitful and multiplying” with same sex partners. So they weren’t even fulfilling that purpose so they need a reset.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2019,23:39   

Kinda like this.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2019,05:32   

Reapers PlagueNovember 20, 2019 at 9:34 pm
ET

First off with God the death is not a final ending. Perhaps it, the order to kill, was just a way to physically reset the soul, which was placed in a defective body.

So with that in mind, the context would be in the time it was written to rid your population of sexual deviants intent on committing perverse, immoral and unnatural acts. There isn’t any “being fruitful and multiplying” with same sex partners. So they weren’t even fulfilling that purpose so they need a reset.

So, killing homosexuals is a mercy killing? You are one sick f&$@.

ha

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2019,07:53   

kf et al would like this article, I'm sure:

Was Same-sex behavior hard-wired from the beginning?

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2019,10:12   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Nov. 21 2019,05:53)

One more example of the evils of Darwinism

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2019,13:29   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Nov. 21 2019,06:53)

Interesting. That makes sense. After all, growing the reproductive organs is one set of mechanisms, and behavioral preference of partners is a possibly different set of mechanisms (or lack thereof?). So any correlation between them would require some additional regulatory mechanism added on top of that.

Then there are snails, who as I understand it, avoid the issue altogether.

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2019,14:16   

I don't think the regulars at UD and at least one famous historian are going to like this in the Grauniad (also Church Times)
Christians must repent for centuries of antisemitism which ultimately led to the Holocaust, the Church of England has said in a document that seeks to promote a new Christian-Jewish relationship.

I've also been thinking about telling them that the Holocaust was a product of intelligent design and not a result of a goal-less Darwinian process after all; I've calculated the FIASC/O of Auschwitz and it's definately more than 500 or 1000 bits.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2019,17:39   

MatSpiritNovember 21, 2019 at 4:08 pm
“Stop asking for money. Let the baby die. It’s called Darwinism. Happy Holidays.”

Sounds like a Republican explaining why they oppose Medicare for all.

linky

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2019,19:14   

RP poking the Batshitcrazy77 over his claim that publicly funded healthcare would diminish the quality of healthcare and bankrupt the country.
Really? What is your evidence? Canada has universal health care. Their infant mortality is lower. Their life expectancy is higher. Nobody loses their homes due to hospital bills. US debt to GDP is 76.4% as compared to 34% for Canada. And here is a little factoid that I am sure will drive you crazy, Canadians don’t have to pay for abortions or sex reassignment surgery.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2019,00:22   

WTF?
Okay. When institutions get this crazy (and Berezow provides a number of further examples of Lancet gone crazy) , it’s usually because their reason for existence has been undermined.

For example, chances are, your local paramedics are not dancing around dressed as pineapples or radishes to make some point. At any moment the signal will sound and who knows what they’ll have to respond to?—in a professional way. They don’t need crazy; it’s laid on for them with the job they do and they can go on being useful until they retire.

So: Is it Lancet that we don’t need any more or medical journals generally? We’ll be able to find out by seeing whether a number of other journals follow suit and ramp up the crazy.
Link

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2019,21:31   

Question:  Who is News talking about?  
While I’m sure Berry would not endorse the extremist views of ------, it is nonetheless true that his co-author is a known racist who was forced to apologetically step down in 2007 from his position at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. I only mention this because Berry himself opened the door to this “guilt by association” strategy, and I’ll take Discovery Institute’s honest search for truth and support for open inquiry over the bigotry of ------ any day.
Hint: He won a Nobel, but his name is not Steve.

Bonus: Did you laugh uncontrollably when you read the words, "Discovery Institute’s honest search for truth and support for open inquiry"?

Edited to add Link.

Edited by CeilingCat on Nov. 22 2019,21:33

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2019,23:22   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Nov. 21 2019,22:22)
WTF?  
Okay. When institutions get this crazy (and Berezow provides a number of further examples of Lancet gone crazy) , it’s usually because their reason for existence has been undermined.

For example, chances are, your local paramedics are not dancing around dressed as pineapples or radishes to make some point. At any moment the signal will sound and who knows what they’ll have to respond to?—in a professional way. They don’t need crazy; it’s laid on for them with the job they do and they can go on being useful until they retire.

So: Is it Lancet that we don’t need any more or medical journals generally? We’ll be able to find out by seeing whether a number of other journals follow suit and ramp up the crazy.
Link

Glancing quickly at my phone I read the intro as WTF77.

Which makes sense.

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2019,18:05   

News asks, How Can People Think And Speak With Only Half A Brain?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2019,19:40   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Nov. 23 2019,19:05)
News asks, How Can People Think And Speak With Only Half A Brain?

Ctrl c and Ctrl v seem important.  :)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2019,09:47   

Ed GeorgeNovember 24, 2019 at 9:19 am
It amuses me when one form of ID (God did it) constantly snipes at another form of ID (Theistic evolution), even though both sides have a prominent role for God. What makes it amusing is that when some anti IDist makes the statement “ID is just Creationism dressed up in a cheap tuxedo”, the response is always that ID does not require a deity.

ha

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2019,11:32   

Well, in the absence of evidence for it, all they have is their deity.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2019,13:18   

Ed GeorgeNovember 24, 2019 at 11:34 am
KF, I believe that honesty is important for a stable society. Any third grader could reason this out from first principles. But that doesn’t mean that it is objectively true that we must be honest. It is just one of the rules we have to follow if we want to be welcome in society. If I chose to live by myself in a cabin in the hills I would have no obligation to be honest to the rare person that stumbled upon me.

It is interesting that you picked the example of honesty. If there truly is a moral obligation for honesty, why doesn’t everyone here post under their real names? I would go further to assert that honesty is an excellent example of a value that we obtain through early teaching, repetition, indoctrination, feedback, repetition and rational extrapolation to possible consequences. I have never met a young child that has never lied through his/her baby teeth. They don’t stop doing this until they find out that the social consequences for lying are often more serious than what they are lying about.

linky

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2019,21:15   

MatSpiritNovember 24, 2019 at 9:12 pm
“Then again, if you simply value scientific honesty, you ought to be moved by the fact that thousands of professional Christians laboring for 160 years have not explained the origin of a single complex functional feature of life with the degree of rigor expected in all serious sciences. Lots of imaginative storytelling and vigorous handwaving, but nothing at all that rises to the level of a demonstration. Not even close.”

I say Amen! to this, once you change a single word. Listening to you ID Theorists complain, you’d almost think that you had the answers to how life started and how the various organisms developed. But you’re not even looking.

linky

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2019,02:03   

Quote (stevestory @ Nov. 18 2019,19:36)
we talk about the main idiots over there all the time, but if you want to look at the B team, Upright Biped is dumb as shit.

Upright, aka Unpleasant Blowhard, has been over at UD for many years. His usual schtick is to ask what are obviously gotcha questions using extremely oblique language about semiotics, which is evidently an evolution killer.
Lately he has switched to an argument designed, I think, to expose the hypocrisy of those who do not believe in an objective moral truth. He uses a rather odious thought experiment, aimed specifically at Ed George: “Does a woman being raped need the consensus of society in order to know for certain that the brutalization she feels is valid?”
Upright has really upped his game on this today over on the John C Wright thread. If you want to see some UD assholism on display check it out.

Edited by Ptaylor on Nov. 25 2019,19:06

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2019,05:14   

In the old testament moral framework, if Yahweh said it was okay to rape her, then it wouldn't be morally wrong.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2019,05:22   

Great ID minds at work...  Doubter on Evidence:      
Not even to mention the large body of empirical evidence from parapsychology and other paranormal research. Areas include veridical NDEs, reincarnation memories and mediumistic communications. The transhumanists have a dream that is so attractive to them it induces them to completely ignore reality.

I ignore as much of what passes for ID reality as I can, but I swear sometimes it's like trying to drive past an accident scene without gawping.

Link

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2019,07:34   

David Berlinski chats with Ben Shapiro

Did we mention? Darwinism’s over. People who make their living off it better think of some other way to seem smart.

Posted on November 25, 2019 AuthorNews Comment(0)

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2019,09:16   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Nov. 25 2019,05:22)
Great ID minds at work...  Doubter on Evidence:        
Not even to mention the large body of empirical evidence from parapsychology and other paranormal research. Areas include veridical NDEs, reincarnation memories and mediumistic communications. The transhumanists have a dream that is so attractive to them it induces them to completely ignore reality.

I ignore as much of what passes for ID reality as I can, but I swear sometimes it's like trying to drive past an accident scene without gawping.

Link

And ghosts.  Don't forget ghosts are real.  Joke Gallien sez so.   :p

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2019,11:27   

Of course ghosts are real - that's been documented in several movies. (Some of which contradict each other on the details, but never mind that.)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2019,11:48   

Tom RobbinsNovember 25, 2019 at 11:35 am
What gets me is the use of the word “naturalist”. Everything in my mind is supernatural. And I can back it up philosophically. We only measure gravity, and have mathematical models that explain how it operates… does this mean we understand even a a tiny bit of what “Gravity” is? What does it mean when we say that massive objects, indeed all objects warp space and time? It is still an analogy.
Really the ONLY thing naturalism consist of are things that we consistently observe and measure. This does not mean it is natural, it is only normalized for our minds to understand… But do we really “know” what gravity or “light” are? Why they have the properties they have? “observing”, always indirectly, a particle, that “gives” something mass… this means nothing except it satisfies some mathematical. We define characteristics of what separates life from non-life, but we have no idea at all how this miracle happened, and WHY it strives for perfection.. I mean, there was nothing at all, then we are here typing away to each other, and why is there something rather than nothing – ORDER rules everything, and I believe that is supernatural – order fights against the laws of thermodynamics, “darkness” is not a thing, its the absence of light, the universe should collapse into itself or fly apart in an unstructured manner, but something, someone, holds it all in place. We don’t know why we are here… and to date, self-aware consciousness IS supernatural, as we can’t explain it… to say its all by accident is a cop out and very arrogant to me…it goes against all of our experience. Our uniform repeated experience is ORDER, but the laws of physics say there should be no order, no heat, no light, no potential energy, no life – it should all move to the lowest entropy possible… but something will not allow it (or someone)…thanks for letting me rant.. 🙂

derp

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2019,11:52   

Tom would have written more but be suddenly, you know, really looked at his hand. Whoa.

--------------

13293 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (444) < ... 434 435 436 437 438 [439] 440 441 442 443 444 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]