RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (438) < ... 426 427 428 429 430 [431] 432 433 434 435 436 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,09:55   

Ed GeorgeOctober 18, 2019 at 7:54 am
VB

Should a Christian baker be forced to attend a SSM marriage if it violates his or her religious beliefs.

My understanding is that the issue is just baking a cake, not attending the wedding. He may be required to deliver the cake, but that is not the same as attending the service.

Should that baker be required to depict SSM sexual practices on a cake they do not offer to the general public?

No. But they also wouldn’t be required to depict opposite sex sexual practices. Has this every been an issue?

I agree that the issue revolves around the line between religious freedom and anti-discrimination. In the past, people used religious freedom as an argument against inter-racial marriage, but that didn’t pass muster. But in spite of this, it is my understanding that any church can still refuse to conduct a wedding service for an inter-racial couple. And I would support their right to do this, even though I personally think that they are being racist.

Many states have laws that prevent businesses from discriminating based on race, gender, religion and sexual orientation in the delivery of their services. The baker and florist fall under these laws. Providing a service is not the same as condoning the practice. For example, JW’s do not believe in transfusions or transplants. But an emergency room doctor who happens to be a JW cannot refuse to provide transfusions on religious grounds.

Linky

How low does your IQ have to be, to think that the Federal Gummint is going to force bakers to hand-illustrate gay sex scenes on cakes?

Every day at UD is a competition for Dumbest Commenter.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,10:09   

Re "Dark matter is a supersolid that fills ’empty’ space, strongly interacts with ordinary matter and is displaced by ordinary matter."

Is there a hypothesis in the running that fits that description?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,10:16   

Quote (Henry J @ Oct. 18 2019,11:09)
Re "Dark matter is a supersolid that fills ’empty’ space, strongly interacts with ordinary matter and is displaced by ordinary matter."

Is there a hypothesis in the running that fits that description?

I haven't kept up with physics much since graduation, but I can confidently say that nothing he's talking about is even remotely intelligent.

ETA: But a supersolid is a quantum thing, so expect 12,000 c&p words from BatShit77.  :p  :p  :p

Edited by stevestory on Oct. 18 2019,11:18

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,10:28   

BobRyanOctober 18, 2019 at 1:40 am
If there’s limited difference between humans and animals, then why do vets exist? There are no vets in nature.

I have a sneaking suspicion that BobRyan is not the crack-smoking creationist dummkopf he pretends to be.

If anybody knows who BR is, feel free to include me in the joke. Email is my username here at gmail.  :)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,15:14   

Ed GeorgeOctober 18, 2019 at 2:01 pm
KF

FYI, there is no such thing as what you abbreviate;

The legal system and the majority of the population, including a significant percentage of Christians, disagree with you.

there is only a twisted fiction under false colour of law.

And supportedunder the full force of law and the majority of the population, most of whom are not homosexual. Society is judged by how we treat our minorities and the weakest amongst us. Since the 60s the judgment has only gotten more favourable.

Aided and abetted by the nihilism implicit in legal positivism.

No, aided and abetted by those who realize that sexual orientation is not a sickness and that we can’t continue to marginalize homosexuals in our society because of something written in an ancient text.

lol

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,15:33   

Screenshotted in case that dumb old bigot deletes it:

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,15:35   

I would trade my bank account for them to put an upvote / downvote system in the comments.  :D   :D   :D

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,15:59   

Potassium Fluoride is a Bible-thumping ignoramus operating under false color of intellectualism.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,16:56   

Ed GeorgeOctober 18, 2019 at 3:40 pm
KF

EG and Hazel are both highly educated; ability to understand is not the issue.

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I am highly educated, and understand everything you write. There is no need to repeat it multiple times. 🙂 But understanding and accepting are not the same thing. I don’t mean to be critical, but you seem to feel that if we understand what you are saying, we must accept what you are saying as gospel. You don’t seem to allow for honest disagreement.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,17:57   

ET Ed George: No, aided and abetted by those who realize... – US AG Barr on the importance...
ET Ed George: Society is judged by how we treat our... – US AG Barr on the importance...
ET Ed George: Word games that have the power of law... – US AG Barr on the importance...
ET Ed George: The will of the people is that SSM... – US AG Barr on the importance...

Ed's going to need a restraining order from that dumbass.

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2019,23:52   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 18 2019,17:57)

ET Ed George: No, aided and abetted by those who realize... – US AG Barr on the importance...
ET Ed George: Society is judged by how we treat our... – US AG Barr on the importance...
ET Ed George: Word games that have the power of law... – US AG Barr on the importance...
ET Ed George: The will of the people is that SSM... – US AG Barr on the importance...

Is it really surprising that the painfully ignorant YEC and Liar-For-Jesus moron Joe Gallien is also a raging homophobic bigot?    ???

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,08:53   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Oct. 19 2019,07:52)
Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 18 2019,17:57)

Is it really surprising that the painfully ignorant YEC and Liar-For-Jesus moron Joe Gallien is also a raging homophobic bigot?    ???

Oh really? I thought he was a bigoted raging homo dog birthday party organiser who does sad to make sadder dogs look happy. He probably does same sex dog marriage as a side hustle. Probably even marries cats and dogs.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,17:43   

Ed GeorgeOctober 19, 2019 at 4:12 pm
Hazel

I am pretty sure that Ed probably agrees a lot with what I wrote in #94, and has no interest in your extremely repetitious philosophical concerns or claims.

Yes, I agree with what you said at 94. To better explain why I don’t respond to things like this, I tend to avoid responding to anyone who starts off with declarations that there are ??? self-evident truths, and then lists things that are not self-evident. Things like “we are inescapably under moral governance”, or that “to close the gap between IS and OUGHT we need a necessary being”. These are not self-evident truths, they are opinions. But by declaring them as self-evident truths he is announcing that any argument that calls into question these “truths” is a false argument. Life is too short to put any effort into responding to such comments.

hahaha

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,17:47   

Same thread:
VividbleauOctober 19, 2019 at 4:44 pm
Hazel
I would prefer to think that your not intellectually dishonest...

Your quite the intellectual, VB.  :)

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,18:46   

I wonder if in that sentence fragment the "your" was intended to be "you're"? (The meaning is quite different.)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,19:58   

It was meant to be you're. VB is being a straight asshole to Hazel.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,20:06   

Still in the same thread:
96 ET October 16, 2019 at 7:38 am

hazel:

Teenage births have declined substantially ET.

They are still happening, hazel. And now there is a TV show helping to enable the problem.

That sounds like a show I might enjoy.  Anybody have any idea which show Joe is talking about?

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,20:14   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Oct. 19 2019,20:06)

hazel:

They are still happening, hazel. And now there is a TV show helping to enable the problem.

That sounds like a show I might enjoy.  Anybody have any idea which show Joe is talking about?

Knowing ET’s mentality, it might be The Smurfs.

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,22:01   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Oct. 19 2019,20:06)

hazel:

I think it costs $29.95 to watch.    :O

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

Tony M Nyphot

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,23:02   

CONTEXT hazel. You keep ignoring the context.

Hmmm...I wonder who typed up that reply?

--------------
"I, OTOH, am an underachiever...I either pee my pants or faint dead away..." FTK

"You could always wrap fresh fish in the paper you publish it on, though, and sell that." - Field Man on how to find value in Gary Gaulin's real-science "theory"

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2019,23:58   

So there was a breach of context?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2019,06:31   

ID-themed science fiction explores mind-matter collision

ID-friendly philosopher Eric Holloway wrote ID As A Bridge Between Francis Bacon And Thomas Aquinas here, which garnered a lot of attention. But in science fiction, he turns his attention to the consequences of a materialist vs. a non-materialist interpretation of the human mind.

Posted on October 20, 2019 AuthorNews Comment(0)

Easier than trying to do any science.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2019,08:34   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 20 2019,14:31)
ID-themed science fiction explores mind-matter collision

ID-friendly philosopher Eric Holloway wrote ID As A Bridge Between Francis Bacon And Thomas Aquinas here, which garnered a lot of attention. But in science fiction, he turns his attention to the consequences of a materialist vs. a non-materialist interpretation of the human mind.

Posted on October 20, 2019 AuthorNews Comment(0)

Easier than trying to do any science.

Sounds to me like "Bovine" vs "Divine" or Ghosts vs Gravity. Saturday night special rapping vs Sunday morning kneeling. Good vs mediocre.

They're such martyrs.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2019,21:01   

HazelOctober 20, 2019 at 7:40 pm
kf writes, “it is clear that Hazel’s move is a pass.”

Yes, kf, that is exactly what I’ve been saying. What part of “I’m not going to go over that issue anymore” is hard to understand?

KairosfocusOctober 20, 2019 at 7:49 pm
Hazel, unfortunately, a “pass” on this subject itself has consequences. KF

HazelOctober 20, 2019 at 7:51 pm
What kind of consequences, kf?

linky

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2019,23:12   

Watch as Hazel taunts KF a second time...

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2019,08:33   

Quote (fnxtr @ Oct. 18 2019,14:59)
Potassium Fluoride is a Bible-thumping ignoramus operating under false color of intellectualism.

Is his "KF" label really short for that?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2019,08:45   

HazelOctober 21, 2019 at 6:57 am
Darn, I had forgotten that: thanks for the reminder! 🙂

Also, re 342, as I have said above, I am comfortable and confident about my worldview, and am not concerned about your belief that it is contributing to the collapse of civilization. Your dire concerns about what you see as the consequences of my not wanting to discuss your worldview anymore are your problem, but not mine.

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2019,10:18   

Quote (Henry J @ Oct. 21 2019,08:33)

No, that wouldn't adequately reflect how toxic he is.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2019,13:31   

Ed GeorgeOctober 21, 2019 at 8:50 am
KF

It is obvious you struggle with self evident truth, which is absolutely pivotal and is actually diagnostic. KF

Not accepting your self-evident truths as being self-evident is not struggling. If something is self-evident, it does not need to be demonstrated or explained. The fact that you have to explain why your claimed SETs are self-evident is proof that they are not self-evident. They are things that you have concluded to be true based on your examination. The problem is, these conclusions are dependent on assumptions that have not been proven beyond any reasonable doubt.
poor dumb kf

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2019,15:21   

Quote (Henry J @ Oct. 21 2019,06:33)

It's "KairosFocus".

Even his very name is pedantic puffery.

--------------

13131 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (438) < ... 426 427 428 429 430 [431] 432 433 434 435 436 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]