RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (432) < ... 422 423 424 425 426 [427] 428 429 430 431 432 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,05:04   

Post of the week (possibly unintended) has to go to Seversky on the Epstein OP.
Epstein had fingers in many pies. Why are you picking on scientific organizations?

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,07:15   

Quote (Henry J @ Sep. 30 2019,06:08)
Why would it bother him that an atom of oxygen has mass around sixteen times that of a hydrogen atom?

Surely he didn't think the comma meant thousands place did he?

hahahahahahahhahaha trick question......let's ask Joe....

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,08:32   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Sep. 30 2019,08:29)
Quote (Henry J @ Sep. 29 2019,22:08)
Why would it bother him that an atom of oxygen has mass around sixteen times that of a hydrogen atom?

He things the atomic weight of oxygen is double that becaus it is found in the atmosphere as O2.

No silly  around 16,000 times. Actually he not just thinks h2o is lighter than gravity ....except when it jumps in a elevator... he thinks Oxygen as an element only exist in pairs like police men!!!!!

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,08:54   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 30 2019,22:11)
Bio-Craplexity still down...

Have there been any activities by the Biologic Institute since 2018? The last post on their web pages dates back to January 2018

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,09:11   

Quote (k.e.. @ Oct. 01 2019,07:32)

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Sep. 30 2019,08:29)

Quote (Henry J @ Sep. 29 2019,22:08)

He things the atomic weight of oxygen is double that becaus it is found in the atmosphere as O2.

No silly  around 16,000 times. Actually he not just thinks h2o is lighter than gravity ....except when it jumps in a elevator... he thinks Oxygen as an element only exist in pairs like police men!!!!!

Except for when it exists in trios?

ETA: Or as single oxygen, wearing a couple of hydrogen atoms as ears.

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,09:37   

Quote (Henry J @ Oct. 01 2019,09:11)

Perhaps they're rabbit ears - are they tuned to the right wavelength?

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,10:41   

Quote (sparc @ Oct. 01 2019,08:54)
Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 30 2019,22:11)
Bio-Craplexity still down...

Have there been any activities by the Biologic Institute since 2018? The last post on their web pages dates back to January 2018

Hmmmm. I wonder what the UD folks would have to say about that?

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,10:42   

Quote (KevinB @ Oct. 01 2019,17:37)

Perhaps they're rabbit ears - are they tuned to the right wavelength?

depends on the context

--------------

rossum

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,10:44   

Or as single oxygen, wearing a couple of hydrogen atoms as ears.

Not any more.  Disney has pulled copyright on that particular molecule, it looks too much like a certain mouse.  :)

--------------
The ultimate truth is that there is no ultimate truth.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,14:32   

It's been 24 hrs now and Bio-Craplexity is still down.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,15:10   

so i emailed the contact email and here's what I got...

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 01 2019,18:59   

Alright, Bio-Craplexity is back up with still no science!

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,10:31   

This amuses me
Bob O'HOctober 3, 2019 at 2:08 am
ba77 – As. you’ve read Durrett and Schmidt, you’ll be able to tell me how it is relevant, i.e. go through the examples of positive selection and show that the Durrett and Schmidt model is appropriate.

Bornagain77October 3, 2019 at 5:18 am
Bob (and weave) O’Hara wants to know how the waiting time problem is even ‘relevant’ to his claims that there is evidence for positive selection for gradual Darwinian. That is an interesting question coming from a professor/statistician who admits on his ‘linked in’ page that “I torture data until it confesses. Sometimes I have to resort to Bayesianism”

Bob O’Hara
Professor at NTNU
“I torture data until it confesses. Sometimes I have to resort to Bayesianism” – 2016
“I tortured data, mainly in ecology and evolutionary biology.” – 2009
https://de.linkedin.com/in....3b0a210

Of course the problem with Bob (and weave) O’Hara’s admitting that he statistically ‘tortures data until it confesses’ is that data, like people, will confess to anything you want if you torture it/them long enough.

“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything.”
– Ronald Harry Coase (/?ko?s/; 29 December 1910 – 2 September 2013) was a British economist. Coase believed economists should study real markets and not theoretical ones,

And like economists should study real markets and not theoretical ones, I suggest that Bob (and weave) O’Hara should study the real world of the fossil record, mutations, and genetics and not his theoretical world based on his self admitted ‘tortured’ version of population genetics.

Right of Reply: Our Response to Jerry Coyne
written by Günter Bechly, Brian Miller and David Berlinski – Sept. 2019
Excerpt: The whales? And in twelve million years? Not likely. The available window of time for the transition from the terrestrial pakicetids to fully marine basilosaurids (Pelagiceti) is only 4.5 million years. This corresponds to the lifespan of a single larger mammal species, as Donald Prothero correctly notes. Prothero is Coyne’s ideological ally. They should be better friends. Short time spans give rise to a generic waiting time problem—a much-discussed issue in mainstream population genetics. It is easy to see why. The time required for even a single pair of coordinated mutations to originate and spread in a population is, at least, an order of magnitude longer than the window of time established by the fossil record. Either the fossil record must go, or the waiting time must go, but they cannot go on together. The whales are the least of it. The emergence of a single pair of coordinated mutations in the human lineage required a waiting time of 216 million years. The separation of the chimpanzee and human lineages took place only six or seven million years ago. These figures are clearly in conflict. This is the standard view, the one held by mainstream evolutionary biologists. (Rick Durrett and Deena Schmidt GENETICS November 1, 2008)
https://quillette.com/2019....y-coyne

Also of note to the waiting time problem:

The waiting time problem in a model hominin population – 2015 Sep 17
John Sanford, Wesley Brewer, Franzine Smith, and John Baumgardner
Excerpt: The program Mendel’s Accountant realistically simulates the mutation/selection process,,,
Given optimal settings, what is the longest nucleotide string that can arise within a reasonable waiting time within a hominin population of 10,000? Arguably, the waiting time for the fixation of a “string-of-one” is by itself problematic (Table 2). Waiting a minimum of 1.5 million years (realistically, much longer), for a single point mutation is not timely adaptation in the face of any type of pressing evolutionary challenge. This is especially problematic when we consider that it is estimated that it only took six million years for the chimp and human genomes to diverge by over 5 % [1]. This represents at least 75 million nucleotide changes in the human lineage, many of which must encode new information.
While fixing one point mutation is problematic, our simulations show that the fixation of two co-dependent mutations is extremely problematic – requiring at least 84 million years (Table 2). This is ten-fold longer than the estimated time required for ape-to-man evolution. In this light, we suggest that a string of two specific mutations is a reasonable upper limit, in terms of the longest string length that is likely to evolve within a hominin population (at least in a way that is either timely or meaningful). Certainly the creation and fixation of a string of three (requiring at least 380 million years) would be extremely untimely (and trivial in effect), in terms of the evolution of modern man.
It is widely thought that a larger population size can eliminate the waiting time problem. If that were true, then the waiting time problem would only be meaningful within small populations. While our simulations show that larger populations do help reduce waiting time, we see that the benefit of larger population size produces rapidly diminishing returns (Table 4 and Fig. 4). When we increase the hominin population from 10,000 to 1 million (our current upper limit for these types of experiments), the waiting time for creating a string of five is only reduced from two billion to 482 million years.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pm.........4573302

The real world simply is not kind to Bob (and weave) O’Hara’s statistically tortured theoretical one in the least. For instance, when the ‘real world’ effects of mutations were added to ‘Fisher’s ‘fundamental’ proof for Darwinian evolution’ then Fisher’s supposed theoretical proof for Darwinian evolution was falsified by real world data.

Fisher’s proof of Darwinian evolution has been flipped?
– December 27, 2017
Excerpt: we re-examine Fisher’s Theorem, showing that because it disregards mutations, and because it is invalid beyond one instant in time, it has limited biological relevance. We build a differential equations model from Fisher’s first principles with mutations added, and prove a revised theorem showing the rate of change in mean fitness is equal to genetic variance plus a mutational effects term. We refer to our revised theorem as the fundamental theorem of natural selection with mutations. Our expanded theorem, and our associated analyses (analytic computation, numerical simulation, and visualization), provide a clearer understanding of the mutation–selection process, and allow application of biologically realistic parameters such as mutational effects. The expanded theorem has biological implications significantly different from what Fisher had envisioned.
https://uncommondescent.com/intelli....flipped

The fundamental theorem of natural selection with mutations – June 2018
Excerpt: Because the premise underlying Fisher’s corollary is now recognized to be entirely wrong, Fisher’s corollary is falsified. Consequently, Fisher’s belief that he had developed a mathematical proof that fitness must always increase is also falsified.
https://link.springer.com/article....-1190-x

As well, it is now found that “Promising efforts at disentangling the effects of genes and the environment on complicated traits may have been confounded by statistical problems.”

New Turmoil Over Predicting the Effects of Genes – April 2019
Promising efforts at disentangling the effects of genes and the environment on complicated traits may have been confounded by statistical problems.
Excerpt:,,, But now, two results published last month have cast doubt on those findings, and have illustrated that problems with interpretations of GWAS, (genome-wide association studies), results are far more pervasive than anyone realized. The work has implications for how scientists think about the interactions between genetic and environmental effects. It also “raise[s] the ghosts of the possibility that we overestimate … how important genetics is in contributing to differences between people,”
,,, “The new studies are really quite disconcerting,” Barton said, because they demonstrated that scientists had been mistaking biases in the polygenic score calculations for something biologically interesting.,,,
,,, Though it was always understood to be a problem, “no one realized how big of a problem it was,”,,,
“It was just that sort of feeling where the world shifts under your feet slightly,”,,, “It’s fairly humbling to see all of that work go away.”,,,
That’s not to say that genome-wide association studies do not have incredible power.,,,
It’s when they’re accumulated to make inferences about differences between populations, both in evolutionary and medical contexts, that things can go wrong.
“We have to go back to the thinking box,” Nielsen said. “This is a major wake-up call … a game changer.”
https://www.quantamagazine.org/new-tur....0190423

i.e. the ‘real world’ was not kind to the ‘tortured’ statistical one that Darwinists had constructed!

Of course the real world is never kind to those who prefer to live in their own imagined version of reality. But it is simply insulting, especially in science, that Darwinists such as Bob (and weave) insist that we accept their imagined/tortured statistical version of reality as representative of the real world.

Here is a song you may enjoy Bob (and weave)

“I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me
I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me
I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me
And you, and me”
– Matchbox Twenty – Real World (Official Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....zZIWNgg

Bornagain77October 3, 2019 at 8:02 am
Of note to the preceding comment,,, that is not for me to say that statistics, when properly used, is not very useful. What I am trying to say is that statistics, especially in the hands of Darwinists, is very much ripe for abuse:

Scientific method: Statistical errors – P values, the ‘gold standard’ of statistical validity, are not as reliable as many scientists assume. – Regina Nuzzo – 12 February 2014
Excerpt: “P values are not doing their job, because they can’t,” says Stephen Ziliak, an economist at Roosevelt University in Chicago, Illinois, and a frequent critic of the way statistics are used.,,,
“Change your statistical philosophy and all of a sudden different things become important,” says Steven Goodman, a physician and statistician at Stanford. “Then ‘laws’ handed down from God are no longer handed down from God. They’re actually handed down to us by ourselves, through the methodology we adopt.”,,
One researcher suggested rechristening the methodology “statistical hypothesis inference testing”3, presumably for the acronym it would yield.,,
The irony is that when UK statistician Ronald Fisher introduced the P value in the 1920s, he did not mean it to be a definitive test. He intended it simply as an informal way to judge whether evidence was significant in the old-fashioned sense: worthy of a second look. The idea was to run an experiment, then see if the results were consistent with what random chance might produce.,,,
Neyman called some of Fisher’s work mathematically “worse than useless”,,,
“The P value was never meant to be used the way it’s used today,” says Goodman.,,,
The more implausible the hypothesis — telepathy, aliens, homeopathy — the greater the chance that an exciting finding is a false alarm, no matter what the P value is.,,,
“It is almost impossible to drag authors away from their p-values, and the more zeroes after the decimal point, the harder people cling to them”11,,
http://www.nature.com/news....0140213

Yet to repeat, statistics, when properly used, (i.e. letting the data speak for itself instead of trying to ‘torture’ the data into saying what you want it to say), then statistics can indeed be very useful,

This Could Be One of the Most Important Scientific Papers of the Decade – July 23, 2018
Excerpt: Now we come to Dr. Ewert’s main test. He looked at nine different databases that group genes into families and then indicate which animals in the database have which gene families. For example, one of the nine databases (Uni-Ref-50) contains more than 1.8 million gene families and 242 animal species that each possess some of those gene families. In each case, a dependency graph fit the data better than an evolutionary tree.
This is a very significant result. Using simulated genetic datasets, a comparison between dependency graphs and evolutionary trees was able to distinguish between multiple evolutionary scenarios and a design scenario. When that comparison was done with nine different real genetic datasets, the result in each case indicated design, not evolution. Please understand that the decision as to which model fit each scenario wasn’t based on any kind of subjective judgement call. Dr. Ewert used Bayesian model selection, which is an unbiased, mathematical interpretation of the quality of a model’s fit to the data. In all cases Dr. Ewert analyzed, Bayesian model selection indicated that the fit was decisive. An evolutionary tree decisively fit the simulated evolutionary scenarios, and a dependency graph decisively fit the computer programs as well as the nine real biological datasets.
http://blog.drwile.com/this-co....-decade

Response to a Critic: But What About Undirected Graphs? – Andrew Jones – July 24, 2018
Excerpt: The thing is, Ewert specifically chose Metazoan species because “horizontal gene transfer is held to be rare amongst this clade.” Likewise, in Metazoa, hybridization is generally restricted to the lower taxonomic groupings such as species and genera — the twigs and leaves of the tree of life. In a realistic evolutionary model for Metazoa, we can expect to get lots of “reticulation” at lower twigs and branches, but the main trunk and branches ought to have a pretty clear tree-like form. In other words, a realistic undirected graph of Metazoa should look mostly like a regular tree.
https://evolutionnews.org/2018....-graphs

New Paper by Winston Ewert Demonstrates Superiority of Design Model – Cornelius Hunter – July 20, 2018
Excerpt: Ewert’s three types of data are: (i) sample computer software, (ii) simulated species data generated from evolutionary/common descent computer algorithms, and (iii) actual, real species data.
Ewert’s three models are: (i) a null model which entails no relationships between any species, (ii) an evolutionary/common descent model, and (iii) a dependency graph model.
Ewert’s results are a Copernican Revolution moment. First, for the sample computer software data, not surprisingly the null model performed poorly. Computer software is highly organized, and there are relationships between different computer programs, and how they draw from foundational software libraries. But comparing the common descent and dependency graph models, the latter performs far better at modeling the software “species.” In other words, the design and development of computer software is far better described and modeled by a dependency graph than by a common descent tree.
Second, for the simulated species data generated with a common descent algorithm, it is not surprising that the common descent model was far superior to the dependency graph. That would be true by definition, and serves to validate Ewert’s approach. Common descent is the best model for the data generated by a common descent process.
Third, for the actual, real species data, the dependency graph model is astronomically superior compared to the common descent model.
Where It Counts
Let me repeat that in case the point did not sink in. Where it counted, common descent failed compared to the dependency graph model. The other data types served as useful checks, but for the data that mattered — the actual, real, biological species data — the results were unambiguous.
Ewert amassed a total of nine massive genetic databases. In every single one, without exception, the dependency graph model surpassed common descent.
Darwin could never have even dreamt of a test on such a massive scale. Darwin also could never have dreamt of the sheer magnitude of the failure of his theory. Because you see, Ewert’s results do not reveal two competitive models with one model edging out the other.
We are not talking about a few decimal points difference. For one of the data sets (HomoloGene), the dependency graph model was superior to common descent by a factor of 10,064. The comparison of the two models yielded a preference for the dependency graph model of greater than ten thousand.
Ten thousand is a big number. But it gets worse, much worse.
Ewert used Bayesian model selection which compares the probability of the data set given the hypothetical models. In other words, given the model (dependency graph or common descent), what is the probability of this particular data set? Bayesian model selection compares the two models by dividing these two conditional probabilities. The so-called Bayes factor is the quotient yielded by this division.
The problem is that the common descent model is so incredibly inferior to the dependency graph model that the Bayes factor cannot be typed out. In other words, the probability of the data set, given the dependency graph model, is so much greater than the probability of the data set given the common descent model, that we cannot type the quotient of their division.
Instead, Ewert reports the logarithm of the number. Remember logarithms? Remember how 2 really means 100, 3 means 1,000, and so forth?
Unbelievably, the 10,064 value is the logarithm (base value of 2) of the quotient! In other words, the probability of the data on the dependency graph model is so much greater than that given the common descent model, we need logarithms even to type it out. If you tried to type out the plain number, you would have to type a 1 followed by more than 3,000 zeros. That’s the ratio of how probable the data are on these two models!
By using a base value of 2 in the logarithm we express the Bayes factor in bits. So the conditional probability for the dependency graph model has a 10,064 advantage over that of common descent.
10,064 bits is far, far from the range in which one might actually consider the lesser model. See, for example, the Bayes factor Wikipedia page, which explains that a Bayes factor of 3.3 bits provides “substantial” evidence for a model, 5.0 bits provides “strong” evidence, and 6.6 bits provides “decisive” evidence.
This is ridiculous. 6.6 bits is considered to provide “decisive” evidence, and when the dependency graph model case is compared to comment descent case, we get 10,064 bits.
But It Gets Worse
The problem with all of this is that the Bayes factor of 10,064 bits for the HomoloGene data set is the very best case for common descent. For the other eight data sets, the Bayes factors range from 40,967 to 515,450.
In other words, while 6.6 bits would be considered to provide “decisive” evidence for the dependency graph model, the actual, real, biological data provide Bayes factors of 10,064 on up to 515,450.
We have known for a long time that common descent has failed hard. In Ewert’s new paper, we now have detailed, quantitative results demonstrating this. And Ewert provides a new model, with a far superior fit to the data.
https://evolutionnews.org/2018....n-model

Bob O'HOctober 3, 2019 at 9:00 am
bs77 – you have utterly failed to answer my question. It can’t have been that difficult to grasp the issue – even ET understood it. Yes, waiting time is important, but waiting time for what? And is the situation examined by Durrett and Schmidt relevant to positive selection in whale evolution?

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,11:16   

I ain't gonna wade thru all of that!  :)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,11:41   

Quote (Henry J @ Oct. 03 2019,12:16)

Nobody ever will.  :D  :p  :)

I don't know what kind of severe brain damage causes a person to think that babbling 3,427 irrelevant words is somehow any kind of plausible answer to that question. if you told me that batshit was hit in the head by a small cruise ship I would not be surprised.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,16:46   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 03 2019,11:41)
Quote (Henry J @ Oct. 03 2019,12:16)

Nobody ever will.  :D  :p  :)

I don't know what kind of severe brain damage causes a person to think that babbling 3,427 irrelevant words is somehow any kind of plausible answer to that question. if you told me that batshit was hit in the head by a small cruise ship I would not be surprised.

I’m sure it’s a simple oversight on the part of the UD moderators that the biggest crybaby about people making fun of his name is being an utter hypocrite on that himself.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,19:29   

KF has found a new factor that has led the world to its state of imminent collapse. In amongst a few hundred words:

…It was the point where the elites of our civilisation began the radical secularist atheistically driven push, taking advantage of a new, powerful mass broadcast medium, television . . . especially colour television with several dominant channels; the point when post-literacy entered…

Yes, I remember when colour TV came to our part of the world. We kids thought it was great, but our parents were muttering darkly to themselves “Nothing good can come of this…”
UD link, my emphasis.
edit: stupid link problem, it's the Sean Carroll thread, comment 43

Edited by Ptaylor on Oct. 04 2019,16:34

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,19:54   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Oct. 03 2019,20:29)
KF has found a new factor that has led the world to its state of imminent collapse. In amongst a few hundred words:

…It was the point where the elites of our civilisation began the radical secularist atheistically driven push, taking advantage of a new, powerful mass broadcast medium, television . . . especially colour television with several dominant channels; the point when post-literacy entered…

Yes, I remember when colour TV came to our part of the world. We kids thought it was great, but our parents were muttering darkly to themselves “Nothing good can come of this…”
UD [URL=https://uncommondescent.com/atheism/sean-carroll-nowadays-when-a-more-scientific-worldview-has-triumphed-and-everyone-knows-th

at-god-doesnt-exist-really/#comment-684978]link[/URL], my emphasis.

When the womenfolk started wearing pants and sassing us, that's when it went down the tube!

:D  :)  :p

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,22:39   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 03 2019,17:54)
Quote (Ptaylor @ Oct. 03 2019,20:29)

UD [URL=https://uncommondescent.com/atheism/sean-carroll-nowadays-when-a-more-scientific-worldview-has-triumphed-and-everyone-knows-th

at-god-doesnt-exist-really/#comment-684978]link[/URL], my emphasis.

When the womenfolk started wearing pants and sassing us, that's when it went down the tube!

:D  :)  :p

Next thing we knew,  they were voting and owning property.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Lethean

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,22:48   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 03 2019,10:31)
This amuses me    

New Paper by Winston Ewert Demonstrates Superiority of Design Model – Cornelius Hunter – July 20, 2018

Huh, I completely forgot Corny even existed.

Mark my words, one day the small handful of IDC blogs will finally flip the atheistic materialistic Darwinian paradigm and people like us better look out. Languishing in obtuse obscurity is their secret weapon.

--------------
"So I'm a pretty unusual guy and it's not stupidity that has gotten me where I am. It's brilliance."

"My brain is one of the very few independent thinking brains that you've ever met. And that's a thing of wonder to you and since you don't understand it you criticize it."

~Dave Hawkins~

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 03 2019,23:20   

Quote (Lethean @ Oct. 03 2019,20:48)
This amuses me    

Mark my words, one day the small handful of IDC blogs will finally flip the atheistic materialistic Darwinian paradigm and people like us better look out. Languishing in obtuse obscurity is their secret weapon.

Wait, you didn't notice when the walls fell?

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,02:18   

Quote (fnxtr @ Oct. 03 2019,23:20)
This amuses me      

Shhh. He'll have severe palpitations if he finds out.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Lethean

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,08:39   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Oct. 04 2019,02:18)

This amuses me          

Shaka, when the walls fell.

--------------
"So I'm a pretty unusual guy and it's not stupidity that has gotten me where I am. It's brilliance."

"My brain is one of the very few independent thinking brains that you've ever met. And that's a thing of wonder to you and since you don't understand it you criticize it."

~Dave Hawkins~

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,12:05   

Quote (Lethean @ Oct. 04 2019,06:39)
Quote (Bob O'H @ Oct. 04 2019,02:18)

This amuses me          

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Hahaha that's POTW right there.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,13:48   

AxelOctober 4, 2019 at 10:23 am
I find it absolutely incredible – and I mean, ‘literally’ incredible – that there has been all this hoo-haa about dating the Shroud of Turin, when the image on it is a photogrpahic negative ! I mean who would have thought in the days before photography of even TRYING to imagine what a photographic negative, i.e. reversing light and shade on ANY IMAGE, never mind a shroud, would look like?! In a month of Sundays. The way negatives look now, as well as that on the Shroud, surprise me no end. A fault of my imagination, I know, but still and all…. Yet the highest levels of education are evidently no proof against such common, everyday madness. The banality of idiocy makes a nice bookend with the banality of evil, doesn’t it ?
derp

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,14:07   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 04 2019,11:48)
I find it absolutely incredible – and I mean, ‘literally’ incredible – that there has been all this hoo-haa about dating the Shroud of Turin, when the image on it is a photogrpahic negative ! I mean who would have thought in the days before photography of even TRYING to imagine what a photographic negative, i.e. reversing light and shade on ANY IMAGE, never mind a shroud, would look like?! In a month of Sundays. The way negatives look now, as well as that on the Shroud, surprise me no end. A fault of my imagination, I know, but still and all…. Yet the highest levels of education are evidently no proof against such common, everyday madness. The banality of idiocy makes a nice bookend with the banality of evil, doesn’t it ?
derp

Dafuq

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,14:14   

Quote (fnxtr @ Oct. 04 2019,15:07)
Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 04 2019,11:48)
derp

Dafuq

Argument From Incredulity

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,14:21   

HazelOctober 4, 2019 at 9:32 am
I certainly believe that human beings are morally fallible, and have no idea why JAD thinks I don’t.

John_a_designerOctober 4, 2019 at 10:19 am
Why should I, or anyone else, care at all what you believe and think, Hazel?

HazelOctober 4, 2019 at 10:30 am
Why should anyone care what anyone else thinks, JAD?

But anyway, that’s a typical reply by you, so I think a strong case can be made that there is no reason for me to care what you think.

Therefore,

a) we shouldn’t interact with each other, as you obviously have no interest in any possibly constructive discussion, and

b) I should ignore anything you have to say about me.
linky

Then KF comes along and unloads .5 BS77loads of derp.

Tony M Nyphot

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,15:37   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 04 2019,12:48)

derp

--------------
"I, OTOH, am an underachiever...I either pee my pants or faint dead away..." FTK

"You could always wrap fresh fish in the paper you publish it on, though, and sell that." - Field Man on how to find value in Gary Gaulin's real-science "theory"

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 04 2019,15:46   

Quote (Tony M Nyphot @ Oct. 04 2019,13:37)
Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 04 2019,12:48)

derp

Game. Set. Match.

--------------

12939 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (432) < ... 422 423 424 425 426 [427] 428 429 430 431 432 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]