RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (424) < ... 411 412 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 420 421 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,08:42   

Never shows up? Didn't He split the Red Sea so C Heston could get to the other side? Knock down the tower of babble which was way shorter than modern skyscrapers? Drown everybody without the Chinese and Egyptians even noticing?

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,10:00   

Quote (Henry J @ Aug. 21 2019,16:42)
Never shows up? Didn't He split the Red Sea so C Heston could get to the other side? Knock down the tower of babble which was way shorter than modern skyscrapers? Drown everybody without the Chinese and Egyptians even noticing?

Yep same as Hurricane Katrina guilty as charged ....but being 'murika he did fly by in a 747 landed  said a few homilies mounted up and fucked off back to where it was nice and dry.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,10:09   

Quote (k.e.. @ Aug. 21 2019,10:00)

Yep same as Hurricane Katrina guilty as charged ....but being 'murika he did fly by in a 747 landed  said a few homilies mounted up and fucked off back to where it was nice and dry.

No, that was President Bush.  Oh wait, he didn't land.  Never mind.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,10:11   

Holt crap J3GO is doubling down on wales tails being limbs ........ somebody call me Ishmael.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,10:16   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Aug. 21 2019,18:09)
Quote (k.e.. @ Aug. 21 2019,10:00)

No, that was President Bush.  Oh wait, he didn't land.  Never mind.

A god would have at least landed ...right? Never mind, gods since Constantine have always played second fiddle to their lords and masters the clergy. Bush these days seems the model of proprietary no?

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,16:17   

It's pretty easy to see why Barry is paying Denise to throw up four links to science stories every day. Not counting those, Uncommon Descent has had eight OPs in the three weeks of August.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,18:29   

PaV, the man who killed Darwinism twice,  is absolutely, positively, the dumbest son of a bitch who has ever lived.  I'm quoting his entire message here:      
3 PaV

August 21, 2019 at 10:34 am

Tjguy:

Where do you get the figure for CO2 being 200 times the concentration of methane?

At Wikipedia, for “Atmospheric Methane,” they show methane as being around 500 ppm for the last two millenia. Levels of CO2 is actually less than that. I’ve seen something elsewhere that says methane is 170 ppm, which is about less than half that of CO2.

N.B. I just saw that the graph is in ppb–parts per billion, not million.

However, this level–500 ppb over the last 800,000 years, has, in our current time frame, jumped to 1,700 ppb, or 1.7 ppm. Multiply this by 84 and you get, as an equivalent to CO2 greenhouse effects, 143 ppm. This means that CO2 has increased from about 180 ppm to around 380 ppm. That’s a ‘doubling’ while methane has more than tripled from an almost constant value of 500 ppb over the last million years. All of this increase is recent, and never been seen before.

Is our warming due to a tripling of methane concentration in modern times? And, is this release of methane due to increased seismic/volcanic activity?

These are questions deserving attention.

CO2 is 0.04% of the atmosphere.  That's 40,000 ppm, you idiot!  Or 40 million parts per billion.  

Did I mention you're an idiot?  

You say methane is 1.7 ppm?  You say that's equivalent to 143 ppm CO2?  What's 40,000 / 143?  My calculator just says "PaV is an idiot."

And where the hell did you ever get "CO2 has increased from about 180 rpm to around 380 ppm" from?  Some other idiot?

Link

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,18:33   

Quote (stevestory @ Aug. 21 2019,16:17)
It's pretty easy to see why Barry is paying Denise to throw up four links to science stories every day. Not counting those, Uncommon Descent has had eight OPs in the three weeks of August.

And PaV's reply to one of those is above.  And you should read the OP.  He wrote that too.

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,18:56   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Aug. 21 2019,18:29)
PaV, the man who killed Darwinism twice,  is absolutely, positively, the dumbest son of a bitch who has ever lived.  

I dunno.  Joke Gallien is giving him a serious run for his money.   :D

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,20:34   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Aug. 21 2019,18:56)

Quote (CeilingCat @ Aug. 21 2019,18:29)
PaV, the man who killed Darwinism twice,  is absolutely, positively, the dumbest son of a bitch who has ever lived.  

I dunno.  Joke Gallien is giving him a serious run for his money.   :D

Amen.  
4 ET

August 21, 2019 at 10:36 am

CO2 only absorbs/ emits in 3 different wavelengths/ frequencies. Only 2 of which are in the thermal IR range. And only 1 of those 2 is significant. That means CO2 is invisible to 92% of what the earth radiates. And less than half of that 8% is directed back towards the earth.

We will die of CO2 poisoning before CO2 causes any significant change in temps.
and

5 ET

August 21, 2019 at 5:45 pm

TJGuy @ 2 CO2 outnumbers methane 5 to 1 “this comparatively smaller amount of methane is still 19 times greater a problem for climate change over a 5 year period, and 4 times greater over a 100 year period.”

Ocean Methane is Ubiquitous

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2019,20:54   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Aug. 21 2019,19:29)
PaV, the man who killed Darwinism twice,  is absolutely, positively, the dumbest son of a bitch who has ever lived.  I'm quoting his entire message here:      
3 PaV

August 21, 2019 at 10:34 am

Tjguy:

Where do you get the figure for CO2 being 200 times the concentration of methane?

At Wikipedia, for “Atmospheric Methane,” they show methane as being around 500 ppm for the last two millenia. Levels of CO2 is actually less than that. I’ve seen something elsewhere that says methane is 170 ppm, which is about less than half that of CO2.

N.B. I just saw that the graph is in ppb–parts per billion, not million.

However, this level–500 ppb over the last 800,000 years, has, in our current time frame, jumped to 1,700 ppb, or 1.7 ppm. Multiply this by 84 and you get, as an equivalent to CO2 greenhouse effects, 143 ppm. This means that CO2 has increased from about 180 ppm to around 380 ppm. That’s a ‘doubling’ while methane has more than tripled from an almost constant value of 500 ppb over the last million years. All of this increase is recent, and never been seen before.

Is our warming due to a tripling of methane concentration in modern times? And, is this release of methane due to increased seismic/volcanic activity?

These are questions deserving attention.

CO2 is 0.04% of the atmosphere.  That's 40,000 ppm, you idiot!  Or 40 million parts per billion.  

Did I mention you're an idiot?  

You say methane is 1.7 ppm?  You say that's equivalent to 143 ppm CO2?  What's 40,000 / 143?  My calculator just says "PaV is an idiot."

And where the hell did you ever get "CO2 has increased from about 180 rpm to around 380 ppm" from?  Some other idiot?

Link

CC your numbers are way off.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,10:25   

Evolution News and Views has published 5 new blog posts in the last week!

UD is increasingly a fake site with one pseudojournalist paid to spam the place daily and two mental patients using it for online street-preaching, so maybe that would be the place to start hanging out.

Problem is, it's a somewhat professional PR effort and no way are they going to let the creationist loons spoil the appearance, so comments are closed.  ???

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,10:59   

IDEA Center hasn't been updated with anything new in 3 years.

Intelligent Design Undergraduate Research Center is in stasis.

Access Research Network's latest news is from 2015.

Newest thing on Biologic Institute is talking about a "new book" that was published 2 years ago.

Looks like the crackmonkeys at UD and the DI-funded EN&V blog are all that's left.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,11:10   

The political scam known as ID has been withering since Kitzmiller and it's almost entirely gone. The new hotness (literally) is climate denial, but that's mostly just tediously dumb, not entertainingly dumb.  ???

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,11:53   

Steve Story:  

When I logged on today, the board told me I had a private message, but nothing was there.  Then I saw this.  Did I screw up?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,11:59   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Aug. 22 2019,12:53)
Steve Story:    

When I logged on today, the board told me I had a private message, but nothing was there.  Then I saw this.  Did I screw up?

I didn't send you any PM because that system went haywire after some software update ages ago and it doesn't work anymore. But yeah CO2 levels are currently a little above 400 ppm. You're off by a factor of 100.

Edited by stevestory on Aug. 22 2019,13:00

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,15:05   

ETAugust 21, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Drc466- The Bible seems like a good resource for extraterrestrial visitation. Image of God? You mean:

“Let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness”

VmahunaAugust 22, 2019 at 1:37 pm
ET at 9.
I guess you’re not educated enough to know that male plurals were used as Honorifics: Queen Victoria, “WE are not amused…” This continued well into the 20th century.
So Jehovah is always cast as a male, although He/It was clearly sexless. Jehovah is called “Father” for the same reason. The languages simply lacked honorifics for wimmen.
What would make more sense is for there to be 3 genders with the 3rd being “REALLY important individual regardless of gender”. But it’s too late to fix that in writings more than 2,000 years old.
linky

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,15:09   

Yeah.  I read 0.04 % as 0.04, or 4 percent.  Nothing too serious.  It would be about 200+ degrees C in the winter and we'd all (at least any of us still alive) would be gasping for breath, but as the fossil fuel boys say, plant growth would be lush.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,15:53   

In fairness to ET, I drank the Von Daniken Kool-Aid when I was 15. Got over it tho.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,16:16   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Aug. 23 2019,08:09)
Yeah.  I read 0.04 % as 0.04, or 4 percent.  Nothing too serious.  It would be about 200+ degrees C in the winter and we'd all (at least any of us still alive) would be gasping for breath, but as the fossil fuel boys say, plant growth would be lush.

Hi CeilingCat. That ghost PM would have come from me. I was suggesting exactly this had happened, but didn't know the system is broken.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,16:45   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Aug. 22 2019,17:16)

Hi CeilingCat. That ghost PM would have come from me. I was suggesting exactly this had happened, but didn't know the system is broken.

I don't remember the details, but there was some upgrade to some piece of site software that wound up breaking the messaging function. But since we use the messaging function virtually never it's not worth fixing.

Honestly once Barry gets tired of subsidizing the second to last active intelligent design site and pulls the plug, I expect this place is going to be virtually abandoned.

Edited by stevestory on Aug. 22 2019,17:46

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,16:54   

Quote (stevestory @ Aug. 22 2019,16:45)
Quote (Ptaylor @ Aug. 22 2019,17:16)

I don't remember the details, but there was some upgrade to some piece of site software that wound up breaking the messaging function. But since we use the messaging function virtually never it's not worth fixing.

Honestly once Barry gets tired of subsidizing the second to last active intelligent design site and pulls the plug, I expect this place is going to be virtually abandoned.

Maybe we could get a grant to keep it running from the British government on the grounds that it’s cheaper than the social upheaval they’d have to deal with on Montserrat.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2019,17:09   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Aug. 22 2019,17:54)
Maybe we could get a grant to keep it running from the British government on the grounds that it’s cheaper than the social upheaval they’d have to deal with on Montserrat.

Maybe we could offer to buy it ourselves. I'd be willing to contribute 13, maybe $14.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2019,09:16   

What PaV lacks in intelligence he makes up for in misogyny.  So he's got that going for him.

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2019,13:29   

Axel
August 23, 2019 at 11:49 am
When personhood is understood, AAronS, then the human, even the mammalian will, will be undestood, even our pets being somehwat more than machines, robots, etc.

For the Christian, free will, somewhat paradoxicaly, depends on God’s grace, otherwise it will become the sport of the demonic realm and its denizens. The divine, thoough partial witholding of such supernatural grace need not reflect adversely on the victim, its being a means of spiritual trial and subsequent growth.

Indeed, it is interesting that the Gospel story of the possessed man and the Gadarene swine, rather than signifying Jesus’ condemnation of the possessed man, indicates the contrary. Perhaps, had he not been tormented by the devils, but found them useful and congenial company, he would have appeared a very suave and successful citizen.

How can anyone say that UD and ID is not about science?

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2019,13:36   

Quote (Patrick @ Aug. 23 2019,09:16)

What PaV lacks in intelligence he makes up for in misogyny.  So he's got that going for him.

Couple of interesting points here:    
And, for the third time: read No Free Lunch. I’ve read it. I’ve digested it. I understand it. It is quite clear what CSI is.

This puts him well ahead of Dembski, who wrote it.  Doc Doc bill still doesn't realize:
  1. That the no free lunch theorem just says that no search algorithm will work on ALL data, especially a random collection.

2. The whole IDea of evolution being a search is bogus.  Doc Doc thinks the goal of the "evolution search" is to find a DNA string that will produce a viable organism that is capable of reproduction.  But if an organism can produce such an organism, it must already have such a DNA string and all it has to do is copy it to its offspring, no searching necessary.  This is essentially what every single celled organism has been doing for several billion years.

3. When evolution DOES search, it uses the "technique" of only making tiny changes which have a MUCH better chance of succeeding than making a large change.

3a. (I feel like Kairosfocus now)  For instance, the typical ID "search" is to assemble a random DNA string from 100 base pairs, declare it to be a good choice and then point out that there are gazillions of other 100 BP arrangements that could have been made that wouldn't work and therefore the odds against getting that one combination that would work are gazillions to one against.

3b. The way real organisms do it is to change one (1) base pair in a working sequence, and leave the other 99 alone.  This is known as the "Don't fuck with it if it works" principle and anyone who is not emotionally committed to ID can see where this improves the odds by a few gazillion.

PaV also says in the same piece:    
For any onlookers, our wonderful “MathGrrl” is probably some graduate student for someone who thinks he knows something about CSI, NFL, and evolutionary algorithms, and he’s sending his little protege off to the UD board to ask “discomfiting” questions.

No, that was Dembski assigning his students to do that, back when he was pretending to be an intellectual.  I believe he announced that program on Uncommon Descent.  I know his announcement was discussed at great length on this blog and great hilarity ensued.  [That was when this blog got its 'tired and wretched arguments' box at the top left of the page.]  We kept waiting for one of his students to appear here, but none of them was quite that dumb.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2019,13:47   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Aug. 22 2019,16:16)

Thanks for trying.  Reading your SIG is what made me realize that PaV has single handedly killed Darwinism twice.  He's truly an ID giant.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2019,14:34   

Quote (Patrick @ Aug. 23 2019,10:16)

Holy cow. MathGrrl, whoever you are, keep it up.

MathGrrlMarch 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm
Upright BiPed,

As I said earlier, FSCI is a subset of information, and all information requires symbols and rules in order to exist at all.

You keep using the term “FSCI” as if it has meaning, but you have yet to provide a mathematically rigorous definition for it and you have not shown how to calculate it for the four example scenarios I provided. Based on that, at the moment the term is literally meaningless.

Could you please just provide a definition and examples of how to calculate it?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2019,14:44   

Oh I just noticed the date stamp on those posts and now I has a sad.

UD was fun back in the day, before it became GEM and the Holograms.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 23 2019,16:18   

Quote (stevestory @ Aug. 23 2019,22:44)
Oh I just noticed the date stamp on those posts and now I has a sad.

UD was fun back in the day, before it became GEM and the Holograms.

Now it's just shrouded in conspiracy theories.

--------------

12691 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (424) < ... 411 412 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 420 421 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]