RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (383) < ... 375 376 377 378 379 [380] 381 382 383 >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2019,19:09   

Quote (Henry J @ Mar. 03 2019,16:03)
Or a parrot that was taught hundreds of words, and used them for what they mean.

Which is more than you can say for Batshitcrazy77, KF of Joe.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2019,17:14   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Mar. 03 2019,20:09)
Or a parrot that was taught hundreds of words, and used them for what they mean.

I like to imagine that somewhere out there, someone's got a Norwegian Blue, that, because Norway, they named Björnagain.

"Rawwk Quantum Entanglement."
"Rawwk Uncertainty Principle."
"Rawwk Higgs Field."
"Shut up Björnagain you stupid parrot."

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2019,17:37   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 04 2019,17:14)
Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Mar. 03 2019,20:09)

I like to imagine that somewhere out there, someone's got a Norwegian Blue, that, because Norway, they named Björnagain.

"Rawwk Quantum Entanglement."
"Rawwk Uncertainty Principle."
"Rawwk Higgs Field."
"Shut up Björnagain you stupid parrot."

Remarkable birds.  Beautiful plumage.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2019,22:04   

Seversky March 4, 2019 at 9:42 pm
Robert Sheldon @ 3

On the other hand, Seversky, it is utterly predictable that when a scientist wants to sound deep and spiritual, they bring up QM

Not just scientists, as our own BA77 demonstrates.

linky

:D  :)  :p

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 05 2019,02:12   

My wife & I have been discussing what to call our blur ringneck parakeet we bought here in Trondheim. Now we know.

(except it'll be Bjørnagain, because it's Norwegian, not Swedish).

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,12:51   

Robert Sheldon March 6, 2019 at 9:57 am
BA,
posting ads in your comments? Really? Or is that just a new feature of the comment section?

Bornagain77 March 6, 2019 at 11:37 am
Robert Sheldon,

It is just a new, annoying, feature, in that the last comment in the thread will be interrupted by an advertisement.

linky

Maybe if Bs77's comments weren't 6 terabytes of cut and paste babble, Barry wouldn't have to cram so many ads all over.   :D  :D  :D

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,14:34   

OTOH, if it wasn't for ba77, there wouldn't be as much space for ads.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,16:07   

Mohammadnursyamsu March 6, 2019 at 3:59 pm
Unfortunately creationists do not comprehend creationism. Allow me to explain creationism.

1. Creator, chooses, spiritual, existence of which is a matter of chosen opinion
2. Creation, chosen, material, existence of which is a matter of fact forced by evidence

All science would be in category number two. All subjectivity belongs in category number one. Creationism is the only philosophy which validates bot subjective opinion, and objective fact, each in their own right.

Choice is the mechanism of creation, how any material thing originates.

If I say “I find this painting beautiful”, then the word “beautiful” is chosen by spontaneous expression of emotion with free will. I could have chosen the word “ugly”, which would have been an equally logically valid opinion. The word “beautiful” refers to a love for the way the painting looks. Out of this love the word “beautiful” was chosen. The existence of this love is therefore a matter of chosen opinion, meaning it is equally logically valid to choose the opinion my love for the way the painting looks is not real, as to choose the opinion that it is real.

A subjective statement like about beauty, addresses human beings as being creators. As having free will and choosing. Emotions, like love, are motivation to choices, they make choices, and therefore they belong in category number one, the creator category.

Both God and the soul are defined in terms of that they make choices, which is why they belong in category number one, and therefore the rules of subjectivity apply to God and the soul. This is why the existence of God is a matter of faith, which faith is a form of chosen opinion.

A fact is obtained by evidence of a creation forcing to produce a 1 to 1 corresponding model of it. If I say the moon is a sphere, then those words provide a 1 to 1 corresponding picture of the moon. If I say the moon is a cube, then the picture does not correspond, and therefore the stated fact is inaccurate.

I guess many believers are led astray by not comprehending creationism. In the schoolbook for the Hitler Youth it talks about the spirit, and soul attributes of people. How nice, they recognize spirit and the soul, must be good people these nazi’s. But they acknowledged spirit and soul as matters of FACT of biology. Meaning nazi’s have a measuring calculating attititude in regards to the worth of people, the attitude that is appropiate for factual issues. How many creationists today would fall for the ruse of nazi’s acknowledging the spirit and soul? Too many.

now we're cooking with gas!

Edited by stevestory on Mar. 06 2019,21:31

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,16:09   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Mar. 06 2019,15:34)
OTOH, if it wasn't for ba77, there wouldn't be as much space for ads.

UD software should put ads in batshit comments, likes every 10,000 words or so, just to break up the monotony.   :D  :p  :D

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,19:08   

Dense O'Dreary (News) at UD

Would you know if a robot was writing the news about ID? How?

The large spike in the both the quality of the writing and its correct scientific content would be a dead giveaway.   :)

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,19:38   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 06 2019,16:07)
Mohammadnursyamsu March 6, 2019 at 3:59 pm
Unfortunately creationists do not comprehend creationism. Allow me to explain creationism.

1. Creator, chooses, spiritual, existence of which is a matter of chosen opinion
2. Creation, chosen, material, existence of which is a matter of fact forced by evidence

All science would be in category number two. All subjectivity belongs in category number one. Creationism is the only philosophy which validates bot subjective opinion, and objective fact, each in their own right.

Choice is the mechanism of creation, how any material thing originates.

If I say “I find this painting beautiful”, then the word “beautiful” is chosen by spontaneous expression of emotion with free will. I could have chosen the word “ugly”, which would have been an equally logically valid opinion. The word “beautiful” refers to a love for the way the painting looks. Out of this love the word “beautiful” was chosen. The existence of this love is therefore a matter of chosen opinion, meaning it is equally logically valid to choose the opinion my love for the way the painting looks is not real, as to choose the opinion that it is real.

A subjective statement like about beauty, addresses human beings as being creators. As having free will and choosing. Emotions, like love, are motivation to choices, they make choices, and therefore they belong in category number one, the creator category.

Both God and the soul are defined in terms of that they make choices, which is why they belong in category number one, and therefore the rules of subjectivity apply to God and the soul. This is why the existence of God is a matter of faith, which faith is a form of chosen opinion.

A fact is obtained by evidence of a creation forcing to produce a 1 to 1 corresponding model of it. If I say the moon is a sphere, then those words provide a 1 to 1 corresponding picture of the moon. If I say the moon is a cube, then the picture does not correspond, and therefore the stated fact is inaccurate.

I guess many believers are led astray by not comprehending creationism. In the schoolbook for the Hitler Youth it talks about the spirit, and soul attributes of people. How nice, they recognize spirit and the soul, must be good people these nazi’s. But they acknowledged spirit and soul as matters of FACT of biology. Meaning nazi’s have a measuring calculating attititude in regards to the worth of people, the attitude that is appropiate for factual issues. How many creationists today would fall for the ruse of nazi’s acknowledging the spirit and soul? Too many.

[URL=https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/logic-and-first-principles-13-the-challenge-of-creeping-scientism-and-of-linked-nominalism

/#comment-673877]now we're cooking with gas![/URL]

Sadly, at 404 degrees. Bummer.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,20:32   

Quote (clamboy @ Mar. 06 2019,20:38)
]

[URL=https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/logic-and-first-principles-13-the-challenge-of-creeping-scientism-and-of-linked-nominalism

/#comment-673877]now we're cooking with gas![/URL][/quote]

UD's dysfunctional URL namers strike again. Fixed.

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,22:37   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 06 2019,20:32)
]

Sadly, at 404 degrees. Bummer.[/quote]
UD's dysfunctional URL namers strike again. Fixed.

Thank you. That boggled the mind. And I mean pretty much every word in the post and following discussion, including this recent gem:

"The reason one cannot obtain any facts whatsoever about what the agency of a choice was, is because facts use the logic of being forced."

Blink. Blink.

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 06 2019,22:46   

Quote (clamboy @ Mar. 06 2019,22:37)

Thank you. That boggled the mind. And I mean pretty much every word in the post and following discussion, including this recent gem:

"The reason one cannot obtain any facts whatsoever about what the agency of a choice was, is because facts use the logic of being forced."

Blink. Blink.

Even money says it's a Poe trying to draw Gordo and Batshit into a "serious" discussion.   :)

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,00:02   

Quote (clamboy @ Mar. 06 2019,23:37)
Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 06 2019,20:32)
]

UD's dysfunctional URL namers strike again. Fixed.[/quote]

Blink. Blink.

Thanks, Deepak.  :D  :)  :p

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,02:39   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Mar. 06 2019,22:46)
Quote (clamboy @ Mar. 06 2019,22:37)

Blink. Blink.

Even money says it's a Poe trying to draw Gordo and Batshit into a "serious" discussion.   :)

Even moneys but odd socks

--------------

timothya

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,04:40   

"Mohammadnursyamsu" used to infest talk.origins a couple of years ago with his "choice is supreme" nonsense. It might be interesting to see how the UD nonsense peddlers deal with him.

Cubist

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,05:26   

Quote (timothya @ Mar. 07 2019,04:40)
"Mohammadnursyamsu" used to infest talk.origins a couple of years ago with his "choice is supreme" nonsense. It might be interesting to see how the UD nonsense peddlers deal with him.

Could have sworn that Syamsu posted some of their nonsense on this board a few years back? Sadly, I can neither recall which posts in specific those might be, nor have I had any luck with googling the site for them.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,09:43   

Would it surprise you to know that at UD they're defending racist hooligans? It's not obvious if they don't know who Tommy Robinson is, or if they just don't care.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,09:48   

how boring and lame have the creationists gotten? Bill Dembski has posted on his personal blog twice in the last five months, both times about how it was unfair that Amazon stopped carrying something.

New at UD--Bill Dembski complains about Amazon censorship!

We need new, more entertaining creationists. These washed-up dolts are boring.

Edited by stevestory on Mar. 07 2019,10:50

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,09:49   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Mar. 07 2019,10:43)
Would it surprise you to know that at UD they're defending racist hooligans? It's not obvious if they don't know who Tommy Robinson is, or if they just don't care.

I love Batshit77's "but some of his best friends are minorities" bit.  :D  :D  :D

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,10:28   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 07 2019,07:48)
how boring and lame have the creationists gotten? Bill Dembski has posted on his personal blog twice in the last five months, both times about how it was unfair that Amazon stopped carrying something.

New at UD--Bill Dembski complains about Amazon censorship!

We need new, more entertaining creationists. These washed-up dolts are boring.

The "something" being a book by a white supremacist.  Which, as someone has been known to say, speaks volumes.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,17:56   

Brother Brian March 7, 2019 at 2:43 pm
BA77

Brother Brian, so you don’t think objective morality exists? Really?? Perhaps you would like to come over to my basement for a little one on one scientific test of your hypothesis?

That’s the Christian spirit.

Batshit77's a creep

Edited by stevestory on Mar. 07 2019,18:56

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,17:58   

Bob O'H March 7, 2019 at 9:56 am
bs77 – please try not to lie. I haven’t “personally support[ed] censorship of this ‘violent racist’”. I haven’t expressed an opinion on it. You also don’t help yourself when writing “Not to defend Robinson’s character, ” whilst quite clearly trying to defend him.

I would also appreciate it if you didn’t make false statements about my worldview. You don’t even know what my worldview is, so please don’t pretend you do.

(Same thread)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 07 2019,18:02   

When Barry finally gets tired of propping up the Failing Uncommon Descent, please nobody invite batshit 77 over here. He's clearly a person of low character and we need to maintain some kind of standards. It's bad enough with Joe around.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2019,02:02   

William J Murray - MultiCosmonaut  
William J Murray   March 7, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Reportedly, millions of people, currently and throughout history, have used meditation and other techniques to go out-of-body with their consciousness and visit other-dimensional worlds. I’d say that for those people, the “multiverse” is an empirical fact of their experience. I’ve done it, members of my family have done it, and several people I know have done it. There are books that teach how from a purely secular and scientific perspective. There are countless reports and videos online from very sincere and believable experiencers, some who have been doing it virtually every day for decades. I’ve run into people that have done it and had no idea even how to frame the experience because it is so far outside of the mainstream narrative.

In the Multiverse can save your soul thread.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2019,16:08   

Brother Brian March 8, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Vividbleu

Well cough cough you did.
How can something exist if it does not exist objectively?

I have never said that our sense of morality does not exist in an objective sense. I am not aware of anyone, even psychopaths, who do not have their own sense of morality. It is how our individual morals are derived that I am claiming is subjective. The great variation in these morals that we see in the world, and throughout time, fully supports this. All the navel gazing that I have read on this web site and others about this subject does little to change this.

linky

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2019,18:43   

On one of the ud threads, I forget which one, someone claims that creationism has been on the decline lately and someone else asks for "scientific evidence" that this is so.

whether or not this counts as scientific evidence, I don't really give a shit, but it amuses me.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2019,21:17   

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2019,23:01   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 08 2019,18:43)
On one of the ud threads, I forget which one, someone claims that creationism has been on the decline lately and someone else asks for "scientific evidence" that this is so.

whether or not this counts as scientific evidence, I don't really give a shit, but it amuses me.

I’m sure they think they’re just lulling us into a false sense of security before their triumphant return.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

11468 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (383) < ... 375 376 377 378 379 [380] 381 382 383 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]