RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (614) < ... 609 610 611 612 613 [614] >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2018,12:47   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ May 15 2018,01:13)
Quote (N.Wells @ May 13 2018,19:12)
I've always likened your stuff to Neato rather than Roomba.  Roomba is way more random in its navigation.

The more I think about what you said the more it seems like you are trying to get yourself a lucritive advertising gig going with Neato Robotics.

If true then go N.Wells go! That would certainly help make the expected "weird story" even weirder.

Oh and in neuroscience news is this new evidence for what the model/theory predicts is at least somehow possible:

www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/14/scientists-transplant-memories-between-sea-snails-via-injection

Since Darwinian theory accounts for this and more with a (still lacking better word) generalization stated like "inheritable morphological change over time" news like this is no problem at all. That though is not true for neuroscientific theories that now have to ultimately model in once unimaginable (more than generalization) specific detail that must now include both RNA and DNA networks of genetic systems. That's where science action pertaining to "intelligent cause" is happening. Neuroscience must follow the evidence into the area Darwinian theory explained from an outside view type perspective. They have entirely different tools and required vocabulary therefore one never replaces the other. For example: physics never replaced astronomy.

The future is in emerging areas of science where there are few experts, still at the ground floor and all that. In context of the "Weird Science" series requiring an obligatory Lisa: what we got is (as they say for human development) "coming of age" while DI's little junior he's still all in a rage. But did you notice he was come come coming of age too? At least in the video anyway.

1) Re Neato:  No, and I don't see how you reach that conclusion.

2) Re the possibility of "acquired memories" becoming encoded into RNA.  Well, maybe, but I don't see how "Darwinian theory" predicts this at all, since Darwin knew nothing about RNA or DNA.  Evolutionary theory predicts that if a new strip of DNA or RNA does something that confers an advantage to its owner, it will likely become more common in succeeding generations, but it doesn't predict that RNA should develop the ability to encode new memories and appropriate responses.  (It doesn't predict that this wouldn't occur either.)

3)  Similarly, I don't see how your model necessarily entails any predictions anywhere close to what the Guardian article is suggesting.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2018,14:52   

Quote (N.Wells @ May 15 2018,10:47)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ May 15 2018,01:13)
Quote (N.Wells @ May 13 2018,19:12)
I've always likened your stuff to Neato rather than Roomba.  Roomba is way more random in its navigation.

The more I think about what you said the more it seems like you are trying to get yourself a lucritive advertising gig going with Neato Robotics.

If true then go N.Wells go! That would certainly help make the expected "weird story" even weirder.

Oh and in neuroscience news is this new evidence for what the model/theory predicts is at least somehow possible:

www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/14/scientists-transplant-memories-between-sea-snails-via-injection

Since Darwinian theory accounts for this and more with a (still lacking better word) generalization stated like "inheritable morphological change over time" news like this is no problem at all. That though is not true for neuroscientific theories that now have to ultimately model in once unimaginable (more than generalization) specific detail that must now include both RNA and DNA networks of genetic systems. That's where science action pertaining to "intelligent cause" is happening. Neuroscience must follow the evidence into the area Darwinian theory explained from an outside view type perspective. They have entirely different tools and required vocabulary therefore one never replaces the other. For example: physics never replaced astronomy.

The future is in emerging areas of science where there are few experts, still at the ground floor and all that. In context of the "Weird Science" series requiring an obligatory Lisa: what we got is (as they say for human development) "coming of age" while DI's little junior he's still all in a rage. But did you notice he was come come coming of age too? At least in the video anyway.

1) Re Neato:  No, and I don't see how you reach that conclusion.

2) Re the possibility of "acquired memories" becoming encoded into RNA.  Well, maybe, but I don't see how "Darwinian theory" predicts this at all, since Darwin knew nothing about RNA or DNA.  Evolutionary theory predicts that if a new strip of DNA or RNA does something that confers an advantage to its owner, it will likely become more common in succeeding generations, but it doesn't predict that RNA should develop the ability to encode new memories and appropriate responses.  (It doesn't predict that this wouldn't occur either.)

3)  Similarly, I don't see how your model necessarily entails any predictions anywhere close to what the Guardian article is suggesting.

He's using his well-worn copy of the creationist playbook again.

1.  Something is discovered.
2.  Current theory didn't explicitly predict it.
3.  Therefore current theory is completely wrong.
4.  Therefore our alternative (which makes no predictions at all) wins by default and supplants current theory.
5.  Therefore Jesus.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

ChemiCat

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2018,00:38   

You are being too kind, NWells, Gaulin's dreck contains no predictions.

Unless, that is, you translate 'predictions' as biblical prophesies. Then retrofit them into your pseudoscience to resemble predictions. Just like his Cambrian Explosion insertion.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2018,20:38   

What, you mean predictions of things already known don't count?

ChemiCat

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2018,02:44   

What, you mean predictions of things already known don't count?

Only in the religious circles inhabited by the likes of Gaulin.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2018,18:54   

The US public has apparently began to fight back against conspiracy theorists:

www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/six-more-families-sue-alex-jones-over-sandy-hook-conspiracy-n876881

Discovery Institute network may be next. For the sake of "theory of intelligent design" it's best to end the scam the theory is now caught up in, which makes such a thing impossible to be fully taken seriously, by those who not suffer from a fear filled addiction that does not respond to reason.

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

ChemiCat

(Permalink) Posted: May 25 2018,09:26   

For the sake of "theory of intelligent design" it's best to end the scam the theory is now [...]

You used three words too many, Gaulin.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: May 25 2018,16:09   

Discovery Institute network may be next. For the sake of "theory of intelligent design" it's best to end the scam the theory is now caught up in, which makes such a thing impossible to be fully taken seriously, by those who not suffer from a fear filled addiction that does not respond to reason.

"Intelligent design" comes from the Discovery Institute.  You have yet to demonstrate that there is any value to be had in reviving its corpse.  

Since it was fatally flawed in the original conception, resurrecting a new version with the old name seems profitless.  You might as well try to resurrect Nazi ideology, except a new compassionate and politically correct version, as opposed to the mistaken version unfortunately pushed by the regrettable Mr. Hitler.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: May 25 2018,17:00   

Quote (N.Wells @ May 25 2018,16:09)

"Intelligent design" comes from the Discovery Institute.  You have yet to demonstrate that there is any value to be had in reviving its corpse.  

Since it was fatally flawed in the original conception, resurrecting a new version with the old name seems profitless.  You might as well try to resurrect Nazi ideology, except a new compassionate and politically correct version, as opposed to the mistaken version unfortunately pushed by the regrettable Mr. Hitler.

Gary: From the Nazi Theory I have a model for making the trains run on time.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: May 25 2018,19:58   

Quote (Texas Teach @ May 25 2018,17:00)
Gary: From the Nazi Theory I have a model for making the trains run on time.

Do you recall what was in the booklet I found online that the Nazi party forced science teachers to teach from? Something about humans having been created in current form and all who evolved into another race are not what our creator intended?

A good system for quickly packing train cars full of people then running over anyone who gets in the way would certainly help keep the trains running on time.

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

18399 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (614) < ... 609 610 611 612 613 [614] >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]