RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: Science Break, News in science< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2018,20:06   

The previous "Science Break" got locked after spammers contaminated it, so I have to start a new one.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2018,20:06   

I read that labs in Japan and Russia have recently started attempts to produce atoms of element 119, to be followed by element 120. I suppose they could do it in either order. They're both getting raw materials from ORNL (Oak Ridge National Laboratories), for one of the isotopes they need for this, the one that is itself an artificial element that has to be made in a laboratory. If successful this would start a new row on the table, giving it a total of 8 rows. (In school I was taught that it had just 7 rows.)

The article said that elements passed 120 may be beyond current technology, because their expected half lives are so short, and any atoms they produced would decay before they got in range of the detectors. Of course, all they detect for any of these really heavy elements is the decay products from nuclei that no longer exist when the decay products are detected, but still.

On interesting tidbit here is that for the last dozen or so elements added to the table, they can count the number of atoms that have been detected.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2018,20:52   

Quote (Henry J @ Mar. 28 2018,20:06)
I read that labs in Japan and Russia have recently started attempts to produce atoms of element 119, to be followed by element 120. I suppose they could do it in either order. They're both getting raw materials from ORNL (Oak Ridge National Laboratories), for one of the isotopes they need for this, the one that is itself an artificial element that has to be made in a laboratory. If successful this would start a new row on the table, giving it a total of 8 rows. (In school I was taught that it had just 7 rows.)

The article said that elements passed 120 may be beyond current technology, because their expected half lives are so short, and any atoms they produced would decay before they got in range of the detectors. Of course, all they detect for any of these really heavy elements is the decay products from nuclei that no longer exist when the decay products are detected, but still.

On interesting tidbit here is that for the last dozen or so elements added to the table, they can count the number of atoms that have been detected.

Count them?  They could name them.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2018,12:31   

I with they'd continue the pattern established with Uranium, Neptunium, and Plutonium.

Jovium, Saturnium, Yahwehnium, Odinium, Mithranium...

Imaging giving your SO a bracelet studded with Mardukium crystals.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2018,12:55   

Quote (fnxtr @ Mar. 29 2018,12:31)
I with they'd continue the pattern established with Uranium, Neptunium, and Plutonium.

Jovium, Saturnium, Yahwehnium, Odinium, Mithranium...

Imaging giving your SO a bracelet studded with Mardukium crystals.

Unobtanium.   :)

--------------
"Science is what got us to the humble place we’re at, and what hard-won progress we might realize comes from science, with ID completely flaccid, religious apologetics bitching from the sidelines." - Eigenstate at UD

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 29 2018,15:10   

Um... radioactive?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2018,13:59   

A couple of years ago, scientists discovered an enzyme in a waste recycling center in Japan that digests plastic. During a recent experiment to understand how this enzyme works, scientists accidentally created a mutated version that breaks down plastic even better than the one found in nature.

ID Creationist Response #1: How did a random mutation improve the function? Fake News!!!!

ID Creationist Response #2: The scientists were intelligent designers of the experiment, so it's really proof of ID!!!!

I'm not sure which one they'll gravitate towards, because I can't tell which is more retarded.

linky

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2018,14:00   

The previous "Science Break" got locked after spammers contaminated it, so I have to start a new one.

Locking threads spammers are keen on really inhibits their abilities. I occasionally forget to unlock them later. Mibad.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2018,20:30   

PBS Nova is airing a show about climate right now. (Now in Mtn time; might be different in other TZ's).

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2018,11:33   

Glacier Loss is Accelerating Because of Global Warming

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2018,11:36   

Inspired by that numbnut who said CO2 doesn't trap heat, which has been known to be wrong since 1896, I wondered what the temp of Earth would be without greenhouse gases. This is interesting:

At present, roughly 30% of the incoming solar radiation is reflected back to space by the clouds, aerosols, and the surface of Earth. Without naturally occurring greenhouse gases, Earth's average temperature would be near 0°F (or -18°C) instead of the much warmer 59°F (15°C).

NASA: Refining the role of greenhouse gases.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2018,12:01   

Yep. Too little of those would be bad in the other direction.

11 replies since Mar. 28 2018,20:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]