RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (655) < ... 650 651 652 653 654 [655] >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: April 15 2018,22:21   

Quote (stevestory @ April 15 2018,08:33)
Inspired by some poor relatives who fall for every form of snake oil Alex Jones and company peddle, I had a thought about eating clay.

Back when I was in school and would come across the word Pica, it was always defined as something like "The compulsion to eat things that aren't food, i.e. clay." Clay was always the example. While eating clay is probably generally pointless, and probably only very helpful if you've ingested some strong poison, clays do contain several minerals, and organisms can adapt to crave things they need but don't understand, so is it possible that craving clay can in some limited circumstances stem from a mineral deficiency and thus be a rational response?

It is technically called "geophagy," or "plastophagy." It is common world wide. The popular over the counter nostrum "Kaopectate" was originally the clay kaolin, and pectin. Later the clay attapulgite, AKA plagorskyite was used instead of kaolin. In Yucatec Maya attapulgite is called "Sak Lu'um," and is commonly eaten to settle upset stomach, and diarrhea.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2018,03:17   

Quote (stevestory @ April 15 2018,10:33)
Inspired by some poor relatives who fall for every form of snake oil Alex Jones and company peddle, I had a thought about eating clay.

Back when I was in school and would come across the word Pica, it was always defined as something like "The compulsion to eat things that aren't food, i.e. clay." Clay was always the example. While eating clay is probably generally pointless, and probably only very helpful if you've ingested some strong poison, clays do contain several minerals, and organisms can adapt to crave things they need but don't understand, so is it possible that craving clay can in some limited circumstances stem from a mineral deficiency and thus be a rational response?

This looks like an excuse to pimp some of my wife's writing
Why Do Wild Parrots Eat Dirt In The Amazon?

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2018,09:23   

Quote (Dr.GH @ April 15 2018,23:21)
It is technically called "geophagy," or "plastophagy." It is common world wide. The popular over the counter nostrum "Kaopectate" was originally the clay kaolin, and pectin. Later the clay attapulgite, AKA plagorskyite was used instead of kaolin. In Yucatec Maya attapulgite is called "Sak Lu'um," and is commonly eaten to settle upset stomach, and diarrhea.

I love this site.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2018,09:40   

So there's a fight here in Canada over a Texas oil company sending  Alberta asphalt through a pipeline to the BC coast to try to sell overseas. The federal gov't is saying it's going to happen because it's "in the national interest".

Serious, but unfortunately because of our friend in the Caribbean I can't hear the words "constitutional crisis" without giggling.

--------------
"But it's disturbing to think someone actually thinks creationism -- having put it's hand on the hot stove every day for the last 400 years -- will get a different result tomorrow." -- midwifetoad

"I am in a rush to catch up with science work." -- Gary Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2018,13:59   

Just encountered this on Youtube:

creation history

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 08 2018,11:30   

Politics and Global Warming Poll Numbers

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 11 2018,10:20   

the all-meat diet

Although most medical practitioners balk at the idea of their patients ditching fruit and vegetables, the all-meat diet has been embraced by a cluster of cryptocurrency entrepreneurs, who describe themselves as “bitcoin carnivores”, a phenomenon previously reported by Motherboard.

“Bitcoin is a revolt against fiat [government-backed] money, and an all-meat diet is a revolt against fiat food,” said Michael Goldstein, a “bitcoin and meat maximalist” base in Austin, Texas. “Once someone has grown capable of seeing beyond the lies and myths that experts peddle in one domain, it becomes easier to see beyond them in other domains as well.”

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2018,06:35   

Oh dear, the spammers have found us again. (also on the Thrinaxodon's Rant House & YEC Professor Claims Religious Discrimination threads).

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2018,20:21   

They found us? Were we lost? :p

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2018,02:46   

We were so lost they tried giving us directions in Russian.

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2018,09:20   

Nyet!

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 20 2018,08:55   

exchange i just had on FB:

PBS NOVA: To Corals, Plastic Might Taste Like Food
Sea turtles spot plastic bags and mistake them for jellyfish. Birds get entwined in plastic and choke to death. Corals, it turns out, could be even worse off—to them, some of the chemicals in plastic might taste like food.

Teve Tory: some plastic molecules could conceivably be broken down in a biologically useful way. Maybe evolution will figure out how to digest polypropylene into glucose or something.

{name redacted} Teve Tory ...Did Evolution know that plastic would be in its Organic composition ?.

Teve Tory: {name redacted} It's a good thing evolution doesn't need to know things to work :-)

:p  :p  :p

19631 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (655) < ... 650 651 652 653 654 [655] >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]