Pages: (33) < ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] >   
  Topic: The Skeptical Zone, with Lizzie< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2017,06:32   

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2017,08:48   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....8dx-h8M

--------------
"But it's disturbing to think someone actually thinks creationism -- having put it's hand on the hot stove every day for the last 400 years -- will get a different result tomorrow." -- midwifetoad

"I am in a rush to catch up with science work." -- Gary Gaulin

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2017,08:56   

I agree that Byers brain doesn't think it is a brain.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2017,10:15   

Quote (fnxtr @ April 19 2017,09:48)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....8dx-h8M

If Byers was hopelessly addicted to bath salts and veterinary tranquilizers, that might explain a few things.

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2017,22:41   

KN provided, in "Moderation Issues", a pretty good defense, or maybe explanation, of fifthmonarchyman's behavior, pointing out that FMM does not, and indeed can not, use words according to their generally accepted definitions, and that when FMM says that all people know the Christian god exists and is the only god capable of existing, FMM really does mean it.

FMM and their position of presuppositionalism makes me want to write an original post, in light of the spike in sales of the novel "1984" since last November's American election. FMM reminds me of O'Brien, especially when that character is talking to Winston Smith in the Ministry of Love after Smith's arrest and routine torture. Smith foolishly attempts to use reason when responding to O'Brien, as if O'Brien could actually be convinced that his position is even questionable. When Patrick (sorry to pick on you again, Patrick) demands that FMM "put up or shut up", that is the equivalent of Smith demanding O'Brien defend his, or rather, The Party's, view. To FMM, Patrick is, like Smith to O'Brien, insane. (Further ETA: the same holds for keiths, who continues to point out what, to many, would be considered proper points of contention. But again, keiths is, to FMM, insane.)

I hope that makes sense. I have been doing some reading on presuppositionalism, pro and con, and I think my take is a right one. Debate is impossible since, for FMM, holding a position contrary to theirs is, by definition, irrational (ETA: and you already know that FMM's position is the correct one, you are simply stuck in - what? - a state of rebellion against what you know to be true). It's weird, but that is what presuppositionalism entails.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,00:30   

You can't use reason to argue against a presupposationalist, because they assume that your reasoning, lacking the necessary christian perspective, must be inferior to their belief. But it's a double-edged sword. Since our reasoning must be defective, what hope is there that he can convince us that he's correct? None. According to his own argument he's pointlessly wasting his time.

FMM is lost in an especially labyrinthine form of cluelessness.

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,00:48   

Except, FMM has repeatedly asserted that they are not proposing an argument. FMM is merely stating what they know (for a certain definition of "know") to be true.

Wacky, yes, but the wacky interests me.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,10:08   

But he's not just picking random internet pages and making random comments. Saying what he's saying, where he's saying it, implies some kinda argumentation. Although FMM is incredibly clueless, so I suppose he doesn't understand that either.

Sakes alive, I just went and checked out the latest three comment threads, and it's a garbage dump over there. 4-5 people quarreling over who insulted who and whether or not it was justified.

Ugh.

Edited by stevestory on April 20 2017,11:09

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,10:12   

In general, most good websites have a clear purpose. If TSZ has one, I haven't divined what it is.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,12:56   

Quote (stevestory @ April 20 2017,08:12)
In general, most good websites have a clear purpose. If TSZ has one, I haven't divined what it is.

To be the. Monster Trucks mudpit of ID?

--------------
"But it's disturbing to think someone actually thinks creationism -- having put it's hand on the hot stove every day for the last 400 years -- will get a different result tomorrow." -- midwifetoad

"I am in a rush to catch up with science work." -- Gary Gaulin

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,15:29   

Quote (stevestory @ April 20 2017,05:12)

You could read the "about" page. Dr Elizabeth Liddle, the blog founder and owner, sets out her stall quite clearly. On the other hand, her last active participation (apart from one comment in November 2016) was back in January, 2016.

She built it. People came. Any forum is only as good as the people that contribute.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,15:32   

FMM and their position of presuppositionalism makes me want to write an original post, in light of the spike in sales of the novel "1984" since last November's American election.

You'd be very welcome! I see you are already registered there.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,22:11   

Quote (clamboy @ April 19 2017,23:41)
When Patrick (sorry to pick on you again, Patrick) demands that FMM "put up or shut up", that is the equivalent of Smith demanding O'Brien defend his, or rather, The Party's, view. To FMM, Patrick is, like Smith to O'Brien, insane.

Pick away.

I'm not yet personally insane enough to expect FMM to actually support his views.  It is, however, The Skeptical Zone, so I feel something of an obligation to keep asking.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2017,22:12   

Quote (Alan Fox @ April 20 2017,16:32)
FMM and their position of presuppositionalism makes me want to write an original post, in light of the spike in sales of the novel "1984" since last November's American election.

You'd be very welcome! I see you are already registered there.

Hear, hear!

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2017,15:12   

I was amused to see this at TSZ:
My talk addresses the design of chromatin and the problem of evil.

It's not satire, it's Sal.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: June 02 2017,13:28   

Saltire?

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

clamboy

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2017,19:48   

Despite forays into civilized discussion, phoodoo remains a horrific troll, and continues to sink and sink:

http://theskepticalzone.com/wp....-179079

976 replies since Aug. 15 2011,22:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (33) < ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]