RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 386 387 388 389 390 [391] 392 393 394 395 396 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,15:25   

To get somebody high, how about an airplane, or maybe a balloon?  :p

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,15:26   

Hyper septic-ism:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-376389

kairosfocus

04/08/2011

12:01 pm
Onlookers:

The above shows the problem. How does Aci know that I have posted anything in this thread,and it is not the Internet throwing up noise fits?

ANS: he is implicitly applying a filter on functional specificity and complexity, so he infers that it is not plausible that posts are noise rather than intelligent action.

(The various metrics simply work to quantify this. And, A is apparently unaware of the work of Durston et al who have quantified FSC metrics for 35 protein families, or the Evo Informatics Lab, who are working out the issue of the impact of active information on evolutionary searches. He is also not aware that something so basic as the file sizes we see for ever so many documents are measures of functionally specific information. Most importantly, he is again trying to duck the challenge to show how on undirected chance plus blind necessity, we have empirical evidence of the creation of such FSCI. Without positive evidence of that the materialistic scenarios for origin of life and of body plans are so much empty speculation. )

GEM of TKI

PS: Aci, you have indeed reappeared, but only to show how your dodging the important things to focus on trivia, is inadvertently revealing. Having already adequately spoken to such secondary matters [for the astute reader aware of problems with regulation in 3rd world environments, e.g. think of recent scandals on Chinese products . . . ], I need not prolong exchanges on what was from the outset a side issue raised for distractive effect.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,15:43   

I wonder how many emails are flying back and forth over there *begging* for Davey Banhammer to come out of retirement and save the Uncommon Dipshits.

ETA: Amusing thought: It would be hysterical if Davey left the back door open and is releasing comments in retribution for polluting his beloved UD with all the Jebus talk. The current mods are all over there saying, "I thought *you* were approving them!"

Edited by Lou FCD on April 08 2011,16:47

--------------
Lou FCD is still in school, so we should only count him as a baby biologist. -carlsonjok -deprecated
I think I might love you. Don't tell Deadman -Wolfhound

Work-friendly photography
NSFW photography

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,15:47   

no way was i talking about passing that shit to those flakes

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell.Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,15:49   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 08 2011,15:26)
Hyper septic-ism:

Gaahhh...what a load...

The main issue I have with hyper-skeptism resulting from epistemic doubt (and this includes the core tenet of Presuppositionalism) is that it is question begging - it presumes that knowledge must be absolute as opposed to relative and that I (and all other "Non-believer" as they put it) must accept and rely upon this "fact". But it isn't a fact and as far as I care doesn't matter.

Here's the mental exercise I've tossed out before to foil such silly arguments - my entire world view is derived from "I'm hungry". I don't necessarily know anything - such as whether this thing that I'm experiencing and call "reality" is real or an illusion and I don't care. All I "care" about (assuming for the discussion that such perspectives even exist) is being able to perceive a way to consistently change my state of feeling "hungry" to a state of feeling "satisfied". I don't care if my hunger is real or imaginary - it makes no difference. I "feel" it regardless, just like I "feel" the warmth of the sun, the desire for companionship, sadness when a loved one dies, and attraction to the natural world. Not one of those "emotions"/"perceptions" has to be real - and quite frankly I don't give a rat's ass if every single one of them isn't - they need be perceived and by association have the characteristics of being consistent, repeatable, and predictable.

That right there is more than sufficient for a successful, enjoyable, and vibrant human life - particularly mine.

Oh...and god is completely unnecessary and contributes nothing to that world view.

Hmmm...I think I'm now hungry...for some scotch. :)

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed. Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,15:51   

kairosfocus

04/08/2011

Onlookers:

The above shows the problem. How does Aci know that I have posted anything in this thread,and it is not the Internet throwing up noise fits?

let me save you the trouble, gordon.

you aint posted shit son.  just a bunch of flapping your big fat sticky soup coolers on topics which you aint got the sense to know how little you know.  

i would like to see gordon mullings fight Dracunculus medinensis exiting his perineum

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,15:53   

Quote (Robin @ April 08 2011,16:49)
Hyper septic-ism:

Gaahhh...what a load...

The main issue I have with hyper-skeptism resulting from epistemic doubt (and this includes the core tenet of Presuppositionalism) is that it is question begging - it presumes that knowledge must be absolute as opposed to relative and that I (and all other "Non-believer" as they put it) must accept and rely upon this "fact". But it isn't a fact and as far as I care doesn't matter.

Here's the mental exercise I've tossed out before to foil such silly arguments - my entire world view is derived from "I'm hungry". I don't necessarily know anything - such as whether this thing that I'm experiencing and call "reality" is real or an illusion and I don't care. All I "care" about (assuming for the discussion that such perspectives even exist) is being able to perceive a way to consistently change my state of feeling "hungry" to a state of feeling "satisfied". I don't care if my hunger is real or imaginary - it makes no difference. I "feel" it regardless, just like I "feel" the warmth of the sun, the desire for companionship, sadness when a loved one dies, and attraction to the natural world. Not one of those "emotions"/"perceptions" has to be real - and quite frankly I don't give a rat's ass if every single one of them isn't - they need be perceived and by association have the characteristics of being consistent, repeatable, and predictable.

That right there is more than sufficient for a successful, enjoyable, and vibrant human life - particularly mine.

Oh...and god is completely unnecessary and contributes nothing to that world view.

Hmmm...I think I'm now hungry...for some scotch. :)

quite so.  all of these fucks have been doing for years now is indulging their own wishful thinking that they have an ontological prior for some shit that never even existed anyway.  fortunately for us they are all a hedonistic lot that enjoys getting reamed directly in the brain-pooper with the objects of their own affectations.

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,15:55   

Hmmm...I think I'm now hungry...for some scotch.

Everyone should believe in something.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,16:01   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ April 08 2011,06:19)
Gordon E Mullings has been getting his ass handed to him by Jemima for years. That's the difference between getting learnt and getting schooled! getting schooled don't necessarily stick

"quantum" roflmao. gordon has typed hundreds of thousands of words into the UD box over the years and has convinced NO FUCKING BODY. making fun of him for it is just icing on the cake

Wow!  What website was that on?  I hope it was all saved.

--------------
...after reviewing the arguments, I’m inclined to believe that the critics of ENCODE’s bold claim were mostly right, and that the proportion of our genome which is functional is probably between 10 and 20%.  --Vincent Torley, uncommondescent.com 1/1/2016

Acipenser

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,16:29   

Hyper septic-ism:

kairosfocus

04/08/2011

Onlookers:

ANS: he is implicitly applying a filter on functional specificity and complexity, so he infers that it is not plausible that posts are noise rather than intelligent action.

(The various metrics simply work to quantify this. And, A is apparently unaware of the work of Durston et al who have quantified FSC metrics for 35 protein families, or the Evo Informatics Lab, who are working out the issue of the impact of active information on evolutionary searches. He is also not aware that something so basic as the file sizes we see for ever so many documents are measures of functionally specific information. Most importantly, he is again trying to duck the challenge to show how on undirected chance plus blind necessity, we have empirical evidence of the creation of such FSCI. Without positive evidence of that the materialistic scenarios for origin of life and of body plans are so much empty speculation. )

GEM of TKI

PS: Aci, you have indeed reappeared, but only to show how your dodging the important things to focus on trivia, is inadvertently revealing. Having already adequately spoken to such secondary matters [for the astute reader aware of problems with regulation in 3rd world environments, e.g. think of recent scandals on Chinese products . . . ], I need not prolong exchanges on what was from the outset a side issue raised for distractive effect.

I posted this in response to KF's non-reply:

Gordon, I'll take all the above verbage as an admission that you, nor can anyone else provide an example of the explainatory filter being used on any biological system.  Which, of course, just so happens to be the case with the ID metric CSI.

FYI:  the only matter you not-so-adequately addressed is your admission of ignorance on poultry production and genetic manipulations used in the aquaculture industry around the world.  

Other than that you appear to be confused that human fabrications, i.e., internet blogs, somehow represent self-replicating biological entities.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,16:32   

You used the G word. You have 2.57 to get out of the blast radius.

ETA: It am up there, too!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

REC

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,16:51   

Just noticed that Dreary, perhaps to not make it so obvious she is responsible for 90% of the UD crapfest, is now posting as both 'O'Leary' and 'News.'

Unless 'News' is another individual that has that same certain peculiar writing style, cites the Canadian media and politics, and links over to O'Leary's blog for no reason.....

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,16:54   

Angry from Tardchester writes:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/19991217/letters.html

..Have the authors carefully evaluated the failure rate of so-called 'safer sex'? Have they reviewed the mounting evidence that abstinence-based sex education is working, precisely by helping teens to reject the kind of pressure their articles exemplify? ..

Funny, doesn't all the research show the exact oposite?

Edited.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,16:58   

Weekend bonus:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20030205/cleisure/cleisure2.html

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,18:11   

Off topic

Gordon gives a link to a web page for an organization called "Global Village Construction Set.

Does anybody know what song is the background for the video with the three young men standing on a home made tractor? It's played on some kind of wooden xylophone type instrument. I've heard snatches of this piece before andI love it.

If anybody can provide the title to that piece then GEM of TIKI (with your help) will have made a positive contribution to the universe, at least my part of it, and that's always nice.

--------------
...after reviewing the arguments, I’m inclined to believe that the critics of ENCODE’s bold claim were mostly right, and that the proportion of our genome which is functional is probably between 10 and 20%.  --Vincent Torley, uncommondescent.com 1/1/2016

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,18:55   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 08 2011,19:11)
Off topic

Gordon gives a link to a web page for an organization called "Global Village Construction Set.

Does anybody know what song is the background for the video with the three young men standing on a home made tractor? It's played on some kind of wooden xylophone type instrument. I've heard snatches of this piece before andI love it.

If anybody can provide the title to that piece then GEM of TIKI (with your help) will have made a positive contribution to the universe, at least my part of it, and that's always nice.

Sounds more like steel drums to me.

--------------
Lou FCD is still in school, so we should only count him as a baby biologist. -carlsonjok -deprecated
I think I might love you. Don't tell Deadman -Wolfhound

Work-friendly photography
NSFW photography

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,20:19   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 08 2011,16:11)

The piece is "Gassenhauer" by Carl Orff. It was famously used as part of the score of the films Badlands (slightly different arrangement) and True Romance (though that's actually a quasi-original piece by Hans Zimmer. He made no secret of what it was based on though).

ETA: Linkage to the "Badlands" version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CxCQlYDxpg

True Romance theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du0NSnJnoEY

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

noncarborundum

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,21:22   

Quote (Lou FCD @ April 08 2011,18:55)
Quote (CeilingCat @ April 08 2011,19:11)
Off topic

Sounds more like steel drums to me.

No, I think CeilingCat is right. Steel drums have more of a twang (and, to my ear, slightly out-of-tune quality).

--------------
"The . . . um . . . okay, I was genetically selected for blue eyes. I know there are brown eyes, because I've observed them, but I can't do it. Okay? So . . . um . . . coz that's real genetic selection, not the nonsense Giberson and the others are talking about." - DO'L

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,22:11   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 08 2011,18:11)
Off topic

I don't know about the music but The Global Village Construction Set looks like a worthy project.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,22:18   

Erasmus, FCD
Gordon has typed, by my count SIXTEEN THOUSAND WORDS in that post alone.

He has to because he beleaves size matters  
He is also not aware that something so basic as the file sizes we see for ever so many documents are measures of functionally specific information.
Be thankful that you can omit reading these piles of shite of FISACO while Kairosfocus is carrying them around in his head 24 hours a day.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,22:41   

A link from one of Gordo's other blogs led me to his Google profile from which I had to learn that he is actually following himself:
GEM of The Kairos Initiative

About Me

A Caribbean-based applied scientist, educator and strategic change/ transformation advocate and facilitator.

My Blogs Team Members
KairosFocus
A Nicene Creed-based Systematic Theology Survey
Transformational Leadership Seminar
IOSE

Blogs I Follow
KairosFocus
O'Leary-esque, indeed.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,23:41   

BTW, what KF calls a constitutional crisis is just the fact that homosexuals are going to get the same legal rights as heteros. in his latest post he gets mad because
the language of the UK Government's Taxpayer funded Equality and Human Rights Commission, is that Christianity is so inimical to children that it spoke of such being "INFECTED" with Christian beliefs.
Is he really un-aware of what he keeps saying about other world views.

--------------

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2011,23:41   

BTW, the next crisis that will drive KF aka Gordon E Mullings mad
Profiles overview: Public profiles

The purpose of Google Profiles is to enable you to manage your online identity. Today, nearly all Google Profiles are public. We believe that using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles dont allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public.

Keep in mind that your full name is the only required information that will be displayed on your profile; youll be able to edit or remove any other information that you dont want to share.

If you currently have a private profile but you do not wish to make your profile public, you can delete your profile. Or, you can simply do nothing. All private profiles will be deleted after July 31, 2011.

edited to correct quote tag

--------------

- William Dembski -

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2011,00:28   

strategic change/transformation advocate, eh?

HOMO

I wouldn't let the fucker near my housecat.  and i hate cats

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2011,07:33   

Gordy:
On evidence, I hold that we do not know enough to safely more than rather approximately date anything of consequence on earth beyond about 1,000 2,000 BC the odd astronomical date is the exception not the rule without injecting increasingly implausible hypotheses.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gaugers work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2011,08:08   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ April 09 2011,08:33)
Gordy:
On evidence, I hold that we do not know enough to safely more than rather approximately date anything of consequence on earth beyond about 1,000 2,000 BC the odd astronomical date is the exception not the rule without injecting increasingly implausible hypotheses.

buuuuuuuuuut I don't have any theories

Goron, you are a giant pussy!

--------------

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2011,08:12   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ April 09 2011,07:33)
Gordy:

On the other hand, what our Jewel of the Caribbean does believe in is supported by ample evidence, such as a compilation of ancient texts describing events that may have occurred over two thousand and more years ago. The fact that these accounts were written often long after the events they purport to describe, are somewhat short on empirical support and are riddled with discrepancies apparently does not matter. They still "warrant an inference to best explanation" which is that they are true. Did I see the phrase "selective hyper-skepticism" somewhere?

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2011,08:37   

someone who had never interacted with goron on the innernets might be tempted to ask him that question.

me, i already know his answer.  ~ 16000 words of jack motherfucking squat

--------------

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2011,08:54   

Jonathan M: Lynn Margulis Expresses Her Doubts About neo-Darwinism In Discover Magazine ... This is the kind of of intellectual honesty, and open-minded pursuit of facts and truth, upon which science thrives.

In the same article, Margulis also says this:
Margulis: all scientists agree that evolution has occurred that all life comes from a common ancestry... The critics, including the creationist critics, are right about their criticism. It's just that they've got nothing to offer but intelligent design or "God did it." They have no alternatives that are scientific.

She has said this previously.

Margulis: Although I greatly admire Darwin's contributions and agree with most of his theoretical analysis and I am a Darwinist, I am not a neo-Darwinist.

What she means here is that while she accepts the importance of natural selection for determining which strains survive, she rejects overly simplistic mutation and selection models.

(Margulis has been shown right about the importance of endosymbiosis in evolution, but she tends to want to extend it to cover nearly every evolutionary transition, which isn't supportable by the evidence. Margulis also tends to be a bit of a crank on AIDS/HIV and 9-11.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Margulis

--------------
Proudly banned three four five times by Uncommon Descent.
There is only one Tard. The Tard is One.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 09 2011,09:00   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ April 09 2011,15:33)
Gordy:

NOW THAT IS A QUANTUM PILLOW CHEWER

IT'S JUST THE QUEEREST BRAIN ROTTING ID PATHOLOGY

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 386 387 388 389 390 [391] 392 393 394 395 396 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]