RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 292 293 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 301 302 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
cogzoid

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,13:23   

Jesus called people names, and so does DR. Dembski.  Don't you see the parallels?  What a bunch of whiners.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1853#comments

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,13:34   

TerryL

C. If you seriously believe that what Jesus would do is support a judical decision that flies in the face of free expression and serious scientific debate, I suggest you pop out a New Testament and re-read the words of Jesus before making any further poorly-considered estimates of what he would or wouldnít do. As I recall, he said something about the truth setting you free. Censuring debate via judical fiat seems contrary to that notion.

No Terry, you might want to re-read the words of Jesus before you quote mine him. †Hereís the context of your ďquoteĒ:

ďIf you hold to my teachings you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.Ē

Nothing about free expression, nothing about scientific debate. †Itís about holiness and propriety. †Calling people dick heads probably falls outside that standard. †Itís amazing to me that you creationists seem to have so little knowledge of the Bible which is foundational to your beliefs.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,13:52   

In fairness, we should record this comment:
http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1853#comment-80700
12. bj  // Dec 12th 2006 at 2:23 pm

When I was a lad, long ago, I played baseball. When beaten by an opposing team, we would often complain about the unfairness of it all. We would accuse the other team of cheating, being lucky, or just generally being the scum of the earth. Our coaches would tell us to shut up, stop whining, improve our game and beat them next time.

Generally, I am a supporter of IDís cultural goals, but I found the above to be good advice.

Blessed are the whiners, for they shall inherit the earth. I donít remember that one.

...before the whole thread gets deleted.

Bob
P.S. Alan: I've passed your message on.  We'll see what happens.  I might not join in (I only started on the thread because I wanted to try and push it in one direction.  But I'm being distracted by consciousness), but I appreciate you making the effort, and  hope someone turns up from the Other Side.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,13:58   

DaveScot // Dec 12th 2006 at 2:44 pm

Jones has a lot of chutzpah kvelling like a maven and macher when all he did was schlep the ACLU brief out as his own like a common gonif. No mench is he, the mamser!

A pisher nudnik with a schlock spiel. Talking out of his tuchus like some kind of shamus.

But in all fairness Iím not sure that makes him a putz. †

Comment by DaveScot ó December 12, 2006 @ 2:44 pm

Dave's not one to use vulgar name calling.

William Dembski // Dec 12th 2006 at 2:47 pm

Okay, I changed putz to schlemiel. Satisfied?

How about: "As a Christian Seminary Professor I used a word I shouldn't have and I apologize for any who were offended."

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,15:21   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Dec. 12 2006,13:52)
In fairness, we should record this comment:
http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1853#comment-80700

12. bj  // Dec 12th 2006 at 2:23 pm

When I was a lad, long ago, I played baseball. When beaten by an opposing team, we would often complain about the unfairness of it all. We would accuse the other team of cheating, being lucky, or just generally being the scum of the earth. Our coaches would tell us to shut up, stop whining, improve our game and beat them next time.

Generally, I am a supporter of IDís cultural goals, but I found the above to be good advice.

Blessed are the whiners, for they shall inherit the earth. I donít remember that one.

...before the whole thread gets deleted.

Bob
P.S. Alan: I've passed your message on.  We'll see what happens.  I might not join in (I only started on the thread because I wanted to try and push it in one direction.  But I'm being distracted by consciousness), but I appreciate you making the effort, and  hope someone turns up from the Other Side.

threads still there!
I think this thread will be their anti-censorship thread.

"Censorship, what censorship? Look at all the rude comments we've allowed to stay".

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gaugerís work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,15:25   

Okay, I changed putz to schlemiel. Satisfied?

Well that brings up an interesting question: How many hypocrites called Jesus a ďschlemielĒ for not overthrowing the Roman Empire and getting crucified instead?

Just a little theological question to the Reverend from ghastly unsaved Salome here.

Oh, and that whole thing about ďrender unto Caesar.Ē Render what? Rend oneís garment in whining grief, as they are doing? If theyíre going to make Judge Jones into a modern-day Herod, it still doesn't change the fact that Dembski made a bet about the outcome of the Dover trial and now has to turn water into that flask of scotch. Heís the one who issued the challenge. Sacrifice, man. Itís good for the soul.

And depending on who he wants to share that scotch with [wink!] itís a whole lot more fun than OíLearyís dreary wailing and turning water into brine.

Take that cup away from me! Know what I mean?

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,15:35   

Thanks, Bob.

2ndclass

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,16:21   

The whole Narcissistic Putz post is astounding.  Dembski bemoans the fact that Judge Jones didn't use "original and impeccable reasoning."  Dembski apparently thinks that when a judge rules on a subject in which he has no expertise, he should rely on his own original reasoning instead of relying on the experts.  Heaven help us if judges start following Dembski's philosophy.

--------------
"I wasn't aware that classical physics had established a position on whether intelligent agents exercising free were constrained by 2LOT into increasing entropy." -DaveScot

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,17:34   

Holy crap the navel gazing is just unbelieveable.
†  
ďWhat would JESUS do?Ē

Iím guessing NOT side with the ACLU on anything.

Including the defense of Oliver North? Tad Jude?
He is Dr. Dembski...But yet again, this demonstrates the personal hate and prejudiced dislike of anti-intelligent design hacks...blah

Itís DR. Dembski, not MR. Dembski. Dr. Dembski has TWO PhDs...

Got that, Hooligans? You called him "Mr.!" What an insult! You must be a terrible person! But as I learned so quickly, calling him "Dr." (because he has doctorates) won't earn you any kindness, either.

Excuse me but I believe that Dr. Dembski has three Ph.D.s? (Yes, three more than I have, I admit it. I'm working on it. I do quite a bit of charity work and perform free for kids BTW.)
Guys, guys. †Letís calm down about all of this...We have NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that Judge Jones simply cut-and-pasted. †

Kudos to Matteo for showing maturity. Guys! Any women left over there, or did you scare them all away?

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,17:36   

Judge Jones: Towering Intellectual or Narcissistic Putz?
by William Dembski on December 12th, 2006 ∑ 29 Comments

WAD posts on Jones, and a bitter, ugly, pathetic frenzy follows. "By their fruits you will know them."

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,17:47   

To all the whiny crybabies at DI who are STILL stamping their feet about the Dover decision:

*ahem*

Sorry that you don't like the judge's ruling.  Please feel free to whine, weep, moan, groan, jump up and down, and throw as many hissy fits as you want to over it.  After all, it simply DOES NOT MATTER whether you like the decision or not.  All that matters is that you FOLLOW it.  If you don't, then we'll sue the crap out of you.  (shrug)

ID shot its load in court.  It lost.  Get used to it.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,17:50   

Quote (Kristine @ Dec. 12 2006,17:34)

Where does, uh, Dr Dembski teach, again . . . . . . ?

(snicker)  (giggle)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,17:58   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Dec. 12 2006,17:36)
†  
Judge Jones: Towering Intellectual or Narcissistic Putz?
by William Dembski on December 12th, 2006 ∑ 29 Comments

WAD posts on Jones, and a bitter, ugly, pathetic frenzy follows. "By their fruits you will know them."

More like "by their fruitcakes".

But hey, it keeps them from doing anything that might actually help their cause, so it's cool. Let them waste their lives.

†  

DaveScot // Dec 12th 2006 at 2:44 pm

Jones has a lot of chutzpah kvelling like a maven and macher when all he did was schlep the ACLU brief out as his own like a common gonif. No mench is he, the mamser!

A pisher nudnik with a schlock spiel. Talking out of his tuchus like some kind of shamus.

But in all fairness Iím not sure that makes him a putz. †

Comment by DaveScot ó December 12, 2006 @ 2:44 pm

Yiddish is an incredibly cool language, and now that ferkakte bulvon Spravid Dinger is trying to ruin it. :angry:

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,18:40   

Words from WAD:

At Uncommonly Dense, pinkie up and locked:
† †  
ďThe Judge Jones School of LawĒ
by William Dembski on December 12th, 2006 ∑ 2 Comments

...The humor is, granted, adolescent, but this is a site for high school students, and they are, after all, the ones that Judge Jonesís decision disenfranchised.

At Overweening Ungulates, pinkie retracted and stowed:

From Bill Dembsky:

Around Christmas last year, Judge Jones did you the disservice of shafting you royally...Yes, the humor is adolescent, but overwhelmingevidence.com is a site for adolescents, and you are, after all, the ones who got shafted.

WAD is modest, too:

At Uncommonly Dense:
† †  
A hilarious flash animation of Judge Jones as a pull-string doll appears over at www.overwhelmingevidence.com.

At Overweenie Ungulates we learn:
† †  
"The Judge Jones School of Law" is the brainchild of brilliant professional flash animator...as well as of me and my lovely wife Jana

And it's HILARIOUS!!

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,18:52   

*Sigh* I finally had the nerve...

kharley, you are carefree and thatís how young people should be but keep in mind that the reason you can be carefree is that a lot of people arenít.One of those days you will have cares, and life is not going to seem an adventure. You will likely find broken trust and heartache in love or business or law or politics.
When that should happen, rather than give in to disillusion, remember that Jesusí sacrifice was real and that He loves you.

Can you believe this s***?

Just how "young" do you think I am tribune7?

You better go talk to God again. I think you misunderstood what he told you about my age, my past, or my responsiblities. As a matter of fact, when I was younger I had a lot of cares, the kind kids shouldn't have. For pity's sake I have a partner, and a mortgage, and student loans, and a whole wagonload of cares.

Smug little punk.
Itís not impossible, but itís impossible to justify consistently.

It's not impossible for me not to be a horrible person, but it's impossible for me to "justify" it consistently! Thank you, WinglesS. Your generosity is overwhelming.

It's like trying to talk to an apple. After a while you just want to bite into it.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,19:35   

That Flash animation...

Golly. That was... impressive.

Anyway, I guess I tend to over-analyze stuff, but I don't remember Dawkins, Dennett, and whoever the guy in the middle is [Lawrence Krauss, maybe?] as having much to do with anything Judge Jones was presented.

I can tell you that not everyone in the lineup is a member of the ACLU. Nor is anyone in the lineup an employee of the ACLU (unless the mysterious guy in the middle isn't Krauss). So how this gets to be "Judge Jones and the ACLU" I don't know. Maybe the animator got tired out before getting to the ACLU people and just called it quits. For all I know, a more accurate label for the piece could have been "Judge Jones and the NCSE" or "Judge Jones and the United Methodist Church". I guess those two groups aren't quite in the emotional baggage league of the ACLU.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,19:38   

Quote (Kristine @ Dec. 12 2006,19:52)

You will likely find broken trust and heartache in love or business or law or politics.
When that should happen, rather than give in to disillusion, remember that Jesusí sacrifice was real and that He loves you.

The place where I found broken trust and heartache wasn't in love or business or law or politics, it was in organized religion.

It seems disturbingly easy to find it there.

Seizure Salad

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,20:44   

I know this is a bit off-topic, but it's way too cool not to share with y'all.

R'arr!

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,22:05   

Quote (Jake @ Dec. 12 2006,10:41)
Recently Ive noticed more and more that the ID crowd have basically stopped producing new mathematical models, critiques of evolution etc., and have focussed more and more upon selling the ones they already have. In this respect they remind me very much of the YECs. Once a critique has been written, no matter how bad it is and how quickly is is evicerated, that critique is considered unimpeachable and totally correct in all but perhaps very minor respects. Criticism is all but ignored.

I reckon they feel they have all the arguments they need by now, and simply have to keep repeating them until people finally get it.

Wait.  ID had new critiques of evolution?  When did this happen?

In all reality, the idea has always been that they have all the arguments they need (all the old Creationist arguments) and they just have to keep repeating them.  It's been their whole schtick from the beginning.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,22:15   

Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ Dec. 10 2006,15:34)
Quote (GCT @ Dec. 10 2006,13:21)
Quote (Kristine @ Dec. 10 2006,12:21)
News flash: Atheists don't give away their money. Atheists don't believe in charity. We're a bunch of horrible monsters.

Got that? Write it down! :angry:

Oh, so maybe I should cancel my trip to Goodwill that I had scheduled for today.

Because the stingy atheists didn't donate clothes for you to buy, eh? †:)

Well, the lord don't bless us disbelievin' atheists with wealth, so we gots ta gets by somehow.  I guess that since I don't believe in the lord, maybe I should just go out and steal what I need....and burn a church too, right?  Church Burnin' Ebola Boys (and Girls) unite!

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,22:23   

That barrel of puppies at UD:
You will likely find broken trust and heartache in love or business or law or politics.

Already got an inexplicable unrequited jungle-fever crush on their bespectacled creationist wizard, what else do they want? I'd sure like to evolve into a superlioness on an island with him as buffalo. R'arr! (Great link, Seizure Salad.) †:D

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,22:28   

Hey, whatever happened to Joel Barflowski?  I really loved reading his site, but no new posts since 11-11.  What's up?  At least Joe G. has picked up the slack.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 12 2006,22:52   

"Mr." is always socially correct for a male possessing a Ph.D., but nevertheless perhaps we should start calling him Dr. Dr. Dembski.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 13 2006,07:28   

Reporting back on the Joseph Nested Hierarchy Quagmire.
Zachriel: I don't consider winning an argument to be a valid personal goal.

joe g: I do.

Zachriel: That's where we differ.

joe g: That is hardly the only difference.

Zachriel: Discovering and elucidating the truth is my goal.

Of course, this implies that joe really doesn't care if he is right, as long as he can be seen as right, or at least believes he is seen that way. It also means he probably can't be persuaded.

† †  
joe g: Trees do NOT form a nested hierarchy.

And so we have been stuck for ages. However, he has admitted ó only for the sake of argument, mind you óthat we can group a father's sons as a set.

--------------
Proudly banned three four five times by Uncommon Descent.
There is only one Tard. The Tard is One.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 13 2006,07:45   

Quote (Kristine @ Dec. 12 2006,18:52)
Can you believe this s***?

Just how "young" do you think I am tribune7?

It must be the devil-may-care pose you strike in your avatar. Crickey. Doesn't it hurt your neck to always be sitting like that?

--------------
Proudly banned three four five times by Uncommon Descent.
There is only one Tard. The Tard is One.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 13 2006,09:42   

It must be the devil-may-care pose you strike

And all that bathing in the coffee from discarded styrofoam cups at the Baptist chapel. I recommend it.
Crickey. Doesn't it hurt your neck to always be sitting like that?

Dude, you are talking to a belly dancer!
That Flash animation...Golly. That was... impressive...I can tell you that not everyone in the lineup is a member of the ACLU.

Yes, considering that at least one of them is not an American. Sick is what I call it. And I don't get why they're picking on you either, Wes. Geez, someone's mother was involved in this?

Well, Douglas over at UD at least has one hand still protruding from the quicksand:
Kind of cute, but the farting noises tended to drown out the points.

POINTS? You know, "he who smelt it dealt it." Ease up on the baked memes over thar, OE! Or at least light a couple for bipartisan sake.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 13 2006,09:52   

Quote (N.Wells @ Dec. 12 2006,22:52)

"Mr." is always socially correct for a male possessing a Ph.D., but nevertheless perhaps we should start calling him Dr. Dr. Dembski.

What? †Am I the only one that thought of this:

"It's Dr. Evil, I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "mister," thank you very much."

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it. †We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

jujuquisp

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 13 2006,10:03   

That Judge Jones flash animation on overwroughtexcrement.com was truly a thing of hilarity!  It was brilliant and has convinced me that i'm on the wrong side of the evolution vs. creationism...er ID debate.  DOCTOR Dembski is so rad and tubular!  You have to check it out!  I'm no adolescent, but I can ALWAYS appreciate brilliant adolescent humor!

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 13 2006,10:12   

carlsonjok ...maybe the Maestro would prefer to just called Mr Doctor Dembski or Maestro for short.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 13 2006,10:31   

Quote (jujuquisp @ Dec. 13 2006,17:03)
That Judge Jones flash animation on overwroughtexcrement.com was truly a thing of hilarity!  It was brilliant and has convinced me that i'm on the wrong side of the evolution vs. creationism...er ID debate.  DOCTOR Dembski is so rad and tubular!  You have to check it out!  I'm no adolescent, but I can ALWAYS appreciate brilliant adolescent humor!

But I bet it will fire up all the adolescents who hang out over there!  Like Troutmac and O'Leary and ...

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 292 293 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 301 302 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]