RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,13:59   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Dec. 02 2006,13:55)
Has anyone done John A. Davison vs. DaveScot before?

That's gotta sting.

Is this good news or bad news, Lou? :p

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,14:01   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Dec. 02 2006,13:27)
Good news for Richard Hughes! :p

It's closer than I thought it'd be..

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,15:44   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1826#comment-78967

7. Joseph // Dec 2nd 2006 at 3:24 pm

Dave-FYI

Some incredibly dense- I’m talking walking black hole dense- people have interpretted your OP to mean that ID = religion.

Yes Recip Bill, I’m talking about you and your fellow disdainers of reason and original thought.

Comment by Joseph — December 2, 2006 @ 3:24 pm

True..

"Indeed, intelligent design is just the Logos theology of John’s Gospel restated in the idiom of information theory."

:D

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,15:48   

That's gotta sting.

Sorry to burst your bubble. The proper way to do such a search is to use quotes around multiple words, such as "John A. Davison" vs. DaveScot. Otherwise, it returns any reference to any Davison and any John on the same page (e.g. John Howell's geneaology includes the marriage of Nellie Davison to Henry Howell).

Google on "John A Davison"

Addendum: From a Google on  John A Davison without the quotes (fourth page), I discovered there is a John Davison Rockefeller. Googling then on "John A Davison", Rockefeller, I found out that our John A Davison claims a relationship with the Rockefeller clan.

--------------
Proudly banned three four five times by Uncommon Descent.
There is only one Tard. The Tard is One.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,16:04   

Oooh, I'd forgotten THIS:

[The stage is split in half. On the left, Davison's study--a room full of books, piles of books, thousands upon thousands of books. In the center a desk covered in manuscripts. Davison occupies the chair, quill in hand, dashing out another screed. Outside it is snowing, or raining, or sleeting.

On the right, a telephone on a card table. Seated at the table a youth, gender unimportant. Maintains perfect stillness until the phone rings--as it must.]

Davison: It is a frigid night, and possibly raining, snowing, sleeting perhaps. In five strokes of the quill I will have completely gutted Darwinism and replaced it with Bergism! Ah... but I am faint with hunger. To the telephone, anon! [He digs under stacks of manuscripts to find the phone. Success.] Hello, Domino's? I'd like to order a pizza. [to self] #### these tiny buttons.

Youth: [picking up phone] Thank you for calling Domino's. How may I be of service?

Davison: I would like to order a pepperoni pizza. Extra cheese. Oh, and with olives.

Youth: Is that all?

Davison: That's about it. What's the total?

Youth: Twelve eighty including tax. Your phone number?

Davison: 555-6219. 232 4th Ave southeast... My name is John... John Davison... John A. Davison... I will not soon be forgotten. [awkward pause] I have my own blog.

Youth: [nonplussed] Uh... great. That pizza will be delivered in about a half hour. [tries to hang up]

Davison: Hold on there, youngster. Is it finished yet?

Youth: We've hardly had--

Davison: Okay... well... is it finished now?

Youth: Sir, I haven't even called the order in--

Davison: How about now?

Youth: No.

Davison: Now?

Youth: Still no.

Davison: I've changed my mind. I want salami instead of pepperoni. Genoa salami. With the fatty parts cut out.

Youth: I'm afraid we're--

Davison: Is it done yet?

Youth: Look, Mister John A. Davison, you have no idea how this works. Pizza doesn't appear magically when you say the word. It's a process. It takes time. Twenty minutes, plus driving time. Got it? Goodbye. [Youth and Davison hang up simultaneously]

Davison:[Davison picks up the phone again, dialing.] I have completely eviscerated Darwinism, you know.

Youth: You again? Look, Mr. Davison, the cheese is finished, and it's going in the oven, so--

Davison: Is it done?

Youth: Uh, no.

Davison: Then we have time to chat. You see, we deal here with fundamental differences in the way we view the world which I believe are rigidly fixed in our genome or, if I may use the term, "prescribed." I know that doen't sound right but I have no other explanation. There is also the problem of pride. Does anyone really expect those who have dedicated their professional lives to a phantom to easily come to grips with just that? Yet that is exactly what the situation boils down to. Can you imagine Dawkins conceding that everything he has ever written is meaningless drivel? In a way it is a blessing that Gould and Mayr were spared that realization but I am have no compassion for Dawkins whatsoever. It will be interesting to see how he responds to the inevitable. We shouldn't have to wait much longer.

Youth: I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about--

Davison: Well I guess nobody wants to hear about how many times life may or may not have been created. That is too bad. I may present that evidence anyway. For the moment let me explain how I intend to go about it.

Youth: [Slams phone down] #######.

Davison: [not missing a beat] As long as there exists simple criteria sufficient to account for a common ancestor, one can assume that such an ancestor existed. However, even that may not be so because it is possible that organisms which share a common genetic background may have independently aquired that condition through separate and independent evolutionary events. That is to say that evolution may have been repeatable. I do not favor this view but it cannot be eliminated at present.... Ah... What's that beeping noise? [Looks quizzically at the phone. Hangs up the receiver. Pauses. Picks it up again.]

[masking voice with an atrocious accent.] Ees thees Daw-mee-nose?

[Fadeout]

The only thing missing is after he gives the 'Youth' his order, he needs to say "Got that? Write it down!"

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,16:10   

Davidsons comments to the above parody are also good..

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,16:53   

7. Joseph // Dec 2nd 2006 at 3:24 pm

Dave-FYI

Some incredibly dense- I’m talking walking black hole dense- people have interpretted your OP to mean that ID = religion.

Yes Recip Bill, I’m talking about you and your fellow disdainers of reason and original thought.

Comment by Joseph — December 2, 2006 @ 3:24 pm

Now my fish are bleeding.  Stop it.    

But Joseph is right: ID has nothing to do with religion generally, or Christianity specifically:    

Thus, in its relation to Christianity, Intelligent Design should be viewed as a ground-clearing operation that gets rid of the intellectual rubbish that for generations has kept Christianity from receiving serious consideration.- WAD

The objective is to convince people that Darwinism is inherently atheistic, thus shifting the debate from creationism vs. evolution to the existence of God vs. the non-existence of God. From there people are introduced to ‘the truth’ of the Bible and then ‘the question of sin’ and finally ‘introduced to Jesus.’” - P.Johnson

It HAS been gratifying to get my props over at UDense. Click here, scroll down to "coon's age," and follow DS's link back AtBC. But this is nothing, visage-in-lights wise, next to my auto accident with Harvey Pekar in 1994, and subsequent extended depiction in American Splendor (in the "Windfall Lost" issue and story, for those of you aware of Pekar's brilliant work.)

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,16:59   

Quite right, Zach.  I stand corrected.

--------------
Lou FCD is still in school, so we should only count him as a baby biologist. -carlsonjok -deprecated
I think I might love you. Don't tell Deadman -Wolfhound

Work-friendly photography
NSFW photography

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 02 2006,19:18   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Dec. 02 2006,16:59)

You're not doing that right. Next time try one of these chestnuts instead.

DaveScot: And I’ve grown weary of your silly replies. Adios.

DaveScot: Get lost. And stop taking up space in the spam bucket.

DaveScot: Get lost Zachriel. I gave you a second chance to mend your ways but you’re still running about on the net posting trash talk about our site here.

--------------

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,03:03   

Wes, are you listening?

Curiously, it's listed under "off-topic".  I guess this means that posts about global warming, theology and other such matters are on-topic on an ID blog.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,05:45   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Dec. 02 2006,22:03)
Wes, are you listening?

Curiously, it's listed under "off-topic".  I guess this means that posts about global warming, theology and other such matters are on-topic on an ID blog.

Bob

I recently spoke in chapel there, and, for the good of your soul, you do well to look at the text of my message

Will I learn anything there about ID, and how it is science and not religion?

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,05:48   

Quote (Zachriel @ Dec. 02 2006,19:18)

DaveScot: Get lost Zachriel. I gave you a second chance to mend your ways but you’re still running about on the net posting trash talk about our site here.

Your mama says I was doing it right last night, homo. - dt

How's that?

--------------
Lou FCD is still in school, so we should only count him as a baby biologist. -carlsonjok -deprecated

NSFW photography

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,05:57   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ Dec. 02 2006,08:35)

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Dec. 02 2006,13:27)
Good news for Richard Hughes! :p

LOL.

BTW. Love your new siggy.

Ah! John still manages to stir a little interest. He complains here about David Springer's treatment of him. I wonder if Dave would like to justify himself there? Have you got the cojones, Dave?

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,07:13   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Dec. 03 2006,05:48)

Quote (Zachriel @ Dec. 02 2006,19:18)

Your mama says I was doing it right last night, homo. - dt

How's that?

Much better. That angels don't have mamas doesn't matter. Being wrong doesn't matter. Admitting error is to be avoided at all costs — even if that means introducing new, er, misstatements. You still need to work on your condescension, though.  ;-)

--
Zachriel, angel that rules over memory, presides over the planet Jupiter.
Member AMF, Angelic Motive Force: Pushing planets on celestial spheres — one epoch at a time.
http://zachriel.blogspot.com/

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,10:08   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Dec. 02 2006,13:59)

That's gotta sting.

Is this good news or bad news, Lou? :p

Well, I suppose that depends on which one of us you ask....

:D

Taking Zachriel's advice,

This would be more accurate but still fails to answer your question.

--------------

NSFW photography

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,10:53   

This is fun.

Not so good.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,11:16   

This would be a little more fair, Falan

--------------

NSFW photography

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,11:34   

Meanwhile, Joseph lectures a geneticist about genetics and the nested hierarchy (who does provide a cite to a cool phylogenetic tree for myosins).

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,11:39   

Quote (Zachriel @ Dec. 03 2006,11:34)
Meanwhile, Joseph lectures a geneticist about genetics and the nested hierarchy (who does provide a cite to a cool phylogenetic tree for myosins).

He'sTarding to make up for lost time.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,12:13   

Quote (Alan Fox @ Dec. 03 2006,10:53)
This is fun.

Not so good.

Good news for you, Alan.  :D

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,12:23   

I decided to look at "Atom the Immortal"'s blog site and found these...er...lyrics, I suppose:  
Open the wisdom that's been told from the days of old Unfold the dinosaur descriptions in the book of Job Behold the king of all the beast upon the face of the globe Pyrotechnically bestowed and ferocious and bold Stronger than King Kong his eyes are red like the dawn... Fire and steam from nostrils if you jostle this collosel [sic] then he might get hostile We believe these proportions describe dinosaurs that lived among men such as Stegasaraurus [!] remembered as dragons is how there [sic] reported Recorded through time every culture supports it
Power and strength of behemoth swinging his tail like a cedar log Head above the treetops a herbivore who eats grass like an ox He can never be caught he lives in lakes and lochs Among the lotus plants and reeds is where this monster rocks [ah, the famed Loch lotus ] Just another unknown like the Yeti and Sasquatch  Bones like bronze, he's the chief of the ways of God [?] No one can threaten him or catch him off guard Stone reliefs of these fabulous [maybe he means they're FAH-bu-lous rather than mythical] beasts from Hercules to the dragon Jason battled for the Golden Fleece I know it's hard to conceive what ancient people believed but every culture agrees from the Greek to Chinese Feathered serpents with wings, the Basilisk and the Sphinx, the Hydra, Chimera and the Griffin and Banshee [rhyming "Chinese " with "Banshee" was a stroke of genius]
So take your radiometric decay and your carbon 14 and just put it away We won't be swayed from the truth by your nonsense We will protest and request you change contents and recognize that you built your claims on pretense and admit that evolution is a myth of pseudoscience Some scientists wont admit that being athiest [:p] could make them biased when interpreting the evidence.  

Now that's ART.

Yo, so word up scientist ho's -- quit your lyin' and defiance of the LORD.
The dragons of Job are like the bombardier beetle, you'll get bitch-slapped when you whine and wheedle 'cause God's gonna teach you 'bout the camel and needle.
Don't jostle this collosel, 'cause He might get hostile! (don't sweat me about spelling, I'm a f___in' artist, dammit)

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,12:31   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Dec. 03 2006,11:39)
Quote (Zachriel @ Dec. 03 2006,11:34)

He'sTarding to make up for lost time.

He seems to be aspiring to be a sort of low-rent DaveScot.

But less funny.

--------------

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,12:56   

Dembski, regarding rumors of a new job:

I recently spoke in chapel there, and, for the good of your soul, you do well to look at the text of my message: http://www.designinference.com/documen....oss.pdf

For the good of my soul, I read Dembski's message.  It's a long discussion of whether Jesus suffered enough to redeem our sins.  What this has to do with Dembski's employment is beyond me.  Perhaps by suffering in obscurity at West Southwestern Bible and Taxidermy College, Dembski is doing his part to save us all.

I've selected some choice excerpts from Dembski's message for your edification.

Here he puts his math PhD to good use:

For instance, the Scriptures teach that with God a day is as a thousand years. But if a day is as a thousand years, then each day in a thousand years is itself a thousand years. Thus, if you run the numbers, a day with God is also as 365 million years.  Follow the math to its logical conclusion, and with God an instant is an eternity.

And there you have it.

Of course, this sorta blows the "day-age" idea that the six days of creation were days to God, but eons to us.

Dembski engages in a little self-analysis:

The failure here is the failure to follow Jesus’ command to love one’s neighbor as oneself. This commandment does not mean that as we look in the mirror, we should think about how much we esteem our own person and then determine in our hearts that we
need to esteem others likewise...

We need to love our neighbor as our self because our neighbor is our self. In saying this, I’m not advocating an all-is-one pantheism of the sort popularized by the Beatles in their song “I Am the Walrus."

Koo koo ka-choo.

More math from Isaac:

In mathematics there are two ways to go to infinity. One is to grow large without measure. The other is to form a fraction in which the denominator goes to zero. The Cross is a path of humility in which the infinite God becomes finite and then contracts to zero, only to resurrect and thereby unite a finite humanity within a newfound infinity.

Dembski would feel right at home with Professor Sharon K. Robbert, who writes:

The eigenspace of an eigenvalue l is the collection of all vectors u  that are mapped to lu under the action of a fixed matrix. It is important to note that u choices exclude the zero vector because the zero vector always is mapped to itself under this type of transformation.  On our own, we are like the zero vector because no matter what we try, we cannot move away from out sinful status.  However, through the grace of Christ, we are transformed from being a zero vector to the eigenspace of the redeemed (the likeness of Christ).

Dembski:

Indeed, the only way to gauge the extent to which one person loves another is by what that person is willing to endure for the other. Without the cost incurred by suffering, love among fallen creatures becomes cheap and self-indulgent.

So when we delight in the happiness of others, we are being "cheap and self-indulgent."

God is not a Church-burning Ebola Boy:

God is not an arsonist who starts a fire, lets things heat up for us, and then, at the last moment, steps in so that he can be the big hero. Nor is God a casual bystander, who sees a fire start spontaneously and then lets it get out of control so that he can be the big hero to rescue us.

But Demsbki admits to being a church-burner himself:

We are the arsonists. We started the fire. God wants to rescue us not only from the fire we started but also, and more importantly, from our disposition to start fires, that is, from our life of arson.

Amen.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number.  -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,13:42   

For instance, the Scriptures teach that with God a day is as a thousand years. But if a day is as a thousand years, then each day in a thousand years is itself a thousand years. Thus, if you run the numbers, a day with God is also as 365 million years.  Follow the math to its logical conclusion, and with God an instant is an eternity.

But what about the days in those days and the days that make up them which are themselves made of days comprised of days?

TWAT

--------------

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,13:45   

Quote (keiths @ Dec. 03 2006,19:56)
But Demsbki admits to being a church-burner himself:

We are the arsonists. We started the fire. God wants to rescue us not only from the fire we started but also, and more importantly, from our disposition to start fires, that is, from our life of arson.

Amen.

But, surely, we didn't start the fire.  It was always burning, since the world's been turning.  No.  We didn't light it.  But we tried to fight it.

Or am I thinking of something else?

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,13:47   

Indeed, the only way to gauge the extent to which one person loves another is by what that person is willing to endure for the other. Without the cost incurred by suffering, love among fallen creatures becomes cheap and self-indulgent.

So Gays love each other more, as they must endure fundie / societal scorn on top of the crap every day life generates. I like your thinking Bill.

Or maybe he's advoacting..

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,13:52   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1822

Theology corner: Why is the ID guy at the open theology conference a pork chop at a Jewish wedding?
by O'Leary on November 30th, 2006 · 52 Comments
Recently, a caffeine-deprived friend was grousing about the fact that ID proponents don’t tend to be welcomed at “open theology” conferences.

“Open theology” implies a much more limited sort of God than the Immortal, invisible, God only wise of the Western monotheist (Jewish, Christian, Muslim) tradition.

Now, it’s unclear to me why the ID guys, who are mostly hard math and science types, should even want to hang out with these children of a lesser god. But my friend insisted on hearing the view from O’Leary’s Point, so here goes. And I have followed it up with a testable prediction, too: Keep reading &#8594;

ID guys are mostly hard math and science types? Is Denyse smoking crack?

It bears repeating that the default view of ID for this list is the position hammered out over a fifteen year period starting with Phil Johnson and moving through to Behe, myself, Wells, Meyer, Nelson, Pearcey, Gonzalez, Richards, and O'Leary.

Phil Johnson - retired lawyer
Behe - onetime biochemist
Dembski - Professor of Thumpology, Southwest Baptist Collige of Book Larnins
Wells - cultist pop author
Meyer - philosopher
Nelson - YEC philosopher
Pearcey - stay at home mom?
Gonzalez - astronomer
Richards - uh bagger at Food Lion? philosopher I think.
O'Leary - 4th rate journalist

real 'hard math and science' club you got there.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,13:58   

Meyer - philosopher
Nelson - YEC philosopher
Gonzalez - astronomer

Ahh... Davetard is a B-lister because he's over qualified!

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,14:00   

ID guys are mostly hard math and science types? Is Denyse smoking crack?

Compared to Denyse, they're 'hard math and science types'.

Compared to Denyse, my cat is a 'hard math and science type'.

Meyer - philosopher
Nelson - YEC philosopher
Gonzalez - astronomer

She left out Sal Cordova. That's just wrong.  :angry:

--------------

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 03 2006,14:05   

You guys,

Just having a medicinal glass of Merlot, checked in to catch up on the news. Now I'm mopping up all over.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]