RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (16) < ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 >   
  Topic: RFJE's Personal Thread, Because our toilet is already cluttered< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 24 2009,21:29   

Gotcha.  My bad, sorry 'bout that.

See dat, RFJE?  Yer gonna get da raccoon treatment, fer sure.  (shudders at the thought)

:p     :)

FrankH

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2009,08:49   

How about you RFJE?

Can you show us what ID or whatever you believe in actually works?  I've asked Daniel and he seems to have slinked away.  Remember, if you are going to have something to replace Evolution, it must stand on its own and not called upon in anyone's perceived notions of how something else fails.

Thanks in advance.

--------------
Marriage is not a lifetime commitment, it's a life sentence!

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2009,10:48   

Quote (khan @ Feb. 25 2009,05:19)
Quote (jeffox @ Feb. 24 2009,22:07)
Khan wrote:

You shall die alone, and the raccoons shall chew on your bones.

No!!   No!!    Anyt'ing but dat!  Dem dere raccoons is da sunzabitches a da whole Koddampt woods, eh!  Any fox knowzat, ya know.  I'd radder haf a squirrel bite offa my. . . . . er,

How'd we get into dis, anywayz?

:)    :)     :)

That was meant for the RFJT.

I would not give your bones to the raccoons.

no?

I would, those little fuckers would eat you alive if they had a chance!

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"Abbie Smith (ERV) who's got to be the most obnoxious arrogant snot I've ever seen except for when I look in a mirror" DAVE TARD
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2009,11:09   

Quote (khan @ Feb. 24 2009,21:55)

Just make sure it happens in that order.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 27 2009,17:43   

(khan @ Feb. 24 2009,21:55)

Just make sure it happens in that order.

I think that that's up to the raccoons.  Talk to them.  No, wait. . . .

:)    :p    :)

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 28 2009,00:14   

My dog, who has never killed anything very much bigger than himself, "treed" two raccoons about his size just the other night. I was reminded of about 15 years ago when I was working on a mountain lion project. We had two puppies that were being trained as lion dogs. They kept on the trail even after the "experienced" dogs had quit. And they treed the lion.

That's me on the right. (A much younger me).

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2009,13:11   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Feb. 28 2009,01:14)
My dog, who has never killed anything very much bigger than himself, "treed" two raccoons about his size just the other night. I was reminded of about 15 years ago when I was working on a mountain lion project. We had two puppies that were being trained as lion dogs. They kept on the trail even after the "experienced" dogs had quit. And they treed the lion.

Your words say "about 15 years ago" but your mustaches speak of an era long-past.  ;)

--------------
I've found my personality to be an effective form of birth control.

dnmlthr

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2009,13:17   

Hey! Don't bash the 'tash/don't knock it until you've tried it etc.

--------------
Guess what? I don't give a flying f*ck how "science works" - Ftk

bfish

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2009,18:01   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Feb. 27 2009,22:14)

One of the most amazing experiences I've ever had was helping to track mountain lions on the Utah/Idaho border. We caught several over the course of ten days, including two kittens - although we never caught Subcommander Marcos, as you seem to have done.

Amazing how strong these animals are. Their shoulder muscles are iron. I got to stand about 15 feet away from one, me standing on a rise holding the leash to one of the dogs, he breathing hard at the top of a small tree that put us at the same height. After perhaps a minute of staring at each other, he bolted out of the tree, the dog jerked itself free of my hands, and the chase was joined again.

Ah, memories.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 01 2009,18:10   

Quote (Wolfhound @ Mar. 01 2009,11:11)
Quote (Dr.GH @ Feb. 28 2009,01:14)

Your words say "about 15 years ago" but your mustaches speak of an era long-past.  ;)

You know, you are right. I didn't really think back to when I did that project. It was close to 20 years ago.

--------------

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2009,05:49   

Quote (dnmlthr @ Mar. 01 2009,14:17)

I'm afraid I'll have to wait until menopause sets in.  Or else borrow somebody else's upper lip.  The latter would be quicker by about 20 years, methinks.  And probably tickle rather nicely.

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 02 2009,10:35   

We used ketamine to knock the cats out while we worked on them. Their eyes don't close, so we tied the bandana over their eyes to prevent retina damage and drying. We were also doing a bit of aversive training as when they came to, they had a sore ass (ketamine shot), a sore ear (ID tattoo), a sore thigh (blood sample), a sore tongue (ketamine antagonist shot), a radio transmitter around their neck, and human stink all over their face.

On warm days we would also have pored water and rubbing alcohol over their belly to cool them down to 102F.

All and all, they were pissed off kitties.

PS: bfish, sounds like fun. We put a radio collar on one of the dogs and followed them that way. We could hang back while the dogs played/worked. Every once in a while a dog would get scratched.

Edited by Dr.GH on Mar. 02 2009,08:40

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2009,01:55   

Quote (Wolfhound @ Mar. 02 2009,03:49)
Quote (dnmlthr @ Mar. 01 2009,14:17)

I'm afraid I'll have to wait until menopause sets in.  Or else borrow somebody else's upper lip.  The latter would be quicker by about 20 years, methinks.  And probably tickle rather nicely.

Wolfie, I hope you have all of 20 years before menopause. My wife and I got to share "menopause in a bottle," AKA  tamoxifen following her first mastectomy. Her cancer has returned 5 years following a second mastectomy, and is unfortunately now considered incurable. She takes the estrogen blocker Arimidex, which so far has actually reduced the size and number of active sites in her lymph nodes, and so far there are no brain, lung or liver tumors (the next most likely sites for secondary breast cancers).

We are hopeful that with the anti-science swine out of the White House, medical research will catch-up in time to save her, and millions of other women's lives.

--------------

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2009,02:33   

With a daughter suffering Parkinsons Disease, I have some interest in the same subject. I am impressed by the work being done by dedicated scientists to devise workarounds to the hindrances put up for stem cell research. But the effort might have been put to better use.

--------------
YEC creationists denigrate science without an inkling of what their lives would be without it. YEC creationism is an enrageous, abominable insult to the the human intellect.
                                                         Me.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2009,02:47   

Quote (Quack @ Mar. 03 2009,00:33)
With a daughter suffering Parkinsons Disease, I have some interest in the same subject. I am impressed by the work being done by dedicated scientists to devise workarounds to the hindrances put up for stem cell research. But the effort might have been put to better use.

Yes, we need to be very clear that the people who oppose science from their religious stupidity are killing people we love.

The swine who oppose government research and public education because it doesn't serve private industry profit are both stupidly uninformed, and are killing people we love. (This would be all the libertarians, and Ann Rand worshipers).

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2009,07:01   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Mar. 03 2009,02:55)
My wife and I got to share "menopause in a bottle," AKA  tamoxifen following her first mastectomy. Her cancer has returned 5 years following a second mastectomy, and is unfortunately now considered incurable. She takes the estrogen blocker Arimidex, which so far has actually reduced the size and number of active sites in her lymph nodes, and so far there are no brain, lung or liver tumors (the next most likely sites for secondary breast cancers).

Holy shit, Dr. G.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

dnmlthr

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 03 2009,07:19   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Mar. 03 2009,07:55)
Her cancer has returned 5 years following a second mastectomy, and is unfortunately now considered incurable.

I hate to hear that.

We are hopeful that with the anti-science swine out of the White House, medical research will catch-up in time to save her, and millions of other women's lives.

Indeed. Makes you wonder about the power of ideologically induced blinders and 'won't happen to me'-ism.

--------------
Guess what? I don't give a flying f*ck how "science works" - Ftk

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,05:17   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Mar. 03 2009,02:55)
Wolfie, I hope you have all of 20 years before menopause. My wife and I got to share "menopause in a bottle," AKA  tamoxifen following her first mastectomy. Her cancer has returned 5 years following a second mastectomy, and is unfortunately now considered incurable. She takes the estrogen blocker Arimidex, which so far has actually reduced the size and number of active sites in her lymph nodes, and so far there are no brain, lung or liver tumors (the next most likely sites for secondary breast cancers).

Holy crap!   I know such platitudes are useless but I am truly sorry for what you and your wife are having to endure.   :(  

I'm of the same mind as you with regard to the changing of the guard.

--------------

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,05:32   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Mar. 03 2009,08:55)

I'm sorry to hear that, Dr G.

Yet, sadly, it brings to light the inherent problems of fighting against science for ideological and theological reasons. No amount of "Jesus loves you" can replace an able lab with able scientists using all the WORKING tools they can to help those who are in pain.

What would be the state of the world if everyone shared, for exemple, the beliefs of Jehovah witnesses about blood transfusion. The more you think about it, the more crazy it looks, and really gives the best arguments against blind religious fanatism.

Although I would not wish harm to anyone, I wonder what would be your average IDCreationist's reaction if confronted with such an issue.

I kinda remember about Dr Dr writing a desastrous account of his visit to a "healing preacher" with his wife and his son who is afflicted with Down syndrome.

I wish this kind of tragedy would open one's mind, but sadly it rarely does.

Anyway, hold fast, Dr G!

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

FrankH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,13:41   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Mar. 04 2009,05:32)
Quote (Dr.GH @ Mar. 03 2009,08:55)

I'm sorry to hear that, Dr G.

Yet, sadly, it brings to light the inherent problems of fighting against science for ideological and theological reasons. No amount of "Jesus loves you" can replace an able lab with able scientists using all the WORKING tools they can to help those who are in pain.

What would be the state of the world if everyone shared, for exemple, the beliefs of Jehovah witnesses about blood transfusion. The more you think about it, the more crazy it looks, and really gives the best arguments against blind religious fanatism.

Although I would not wish harm to anyone, I wonder what would be your average IDCreationist's reaction if confronted with such an issue.

I kinda remember about Dr Dr writing a desastrous account of his visit to a "healing preacher" with his wife and his son who is afflicted with Down syndrome.

I wish this kind of tragedy would open one's mind, but sadly it rarely does.

Anyway, hold fast, Dr G!

Yep, it's amazing how some change when they are confronted with a problem.  Nancy Reagan is all for fetal stem cell research as her hubby died of a condition she believed stem cell research could have cured.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,13:43   

DR. G.

My thoughts are also with you and your missus.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

FrankH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,13:45   

Dr. G,

Believe me when I say that sucks.  Hope it comes around for you and yours.

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,16:32   

Thanks for the kind words.

My main point was that beating back the forces of ignorance is well and truly a matter of life and death. (how is that for comic book prose?)

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,16:36   

I haz it back.

Edited by Dr.GH on Mar. 04 2009,16:00

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,18:04   

an now iz gone

PS: Wolfie, When the time comes, remember they are not "heat flashes," they are "power surges."

Test: Iz it back?

Yeah iz back

Edited by Dr.GH on Mar. 04 2009,20:24

--------------

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,18:31   

Dunt wurry Dr. G. You haz experienssed ze quantum!

You can never know if you haz teh edit button until you open teh box.

As for that stupid cat, there are only 3 options:

-dead
-alive
-bloody furious

Pick yours :)

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Bing

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,19:31   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Mar. 04 2009,05:32)

Close, but not quite.  The Dr.Dr. went to faith healer Todd Bentley.  The Dembski spawn is autistic.

We have twin 7-year-old boys, one of whom is autistic (largely nonverbal, still not fully toilet trained, serious developmental delays).

Full article at the Baptist Press

hereoisreal

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 04 2009,21:09   

Story # 202 on my site:

WALK TO ARCHIE
Flipping channels one day, I stopped shortly to see a beautiful little child being prompted to “walk” in a “healing” service.

I prayed, “O God, this little child should not be ‘used’ in this manner.  I wish I had him in my arms.”  
Just then the preacher commanded loudly, “Walk to Archie.”

Zero

--------------
360  miracles and more at:
http://www.hereoisreal.com/....eal.com

Great news. God’s wife is pregnant! (Rev. 12:5)

It's not over till the fat lady sings! (Isa. 54:1 & Zec 9:9)

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2009,01:56   

Quote (RFJE @ Feb. 21 2009,12:56)
Dr. G.H.

If these well-meaning folks want to combine evolution with the Bible, they would have to construct a model that does not "destroy" Adam.  Let me explain.

Please indulge me even hypothetically for a moment, as if I'm reporting my findings of mythology.

According to the Bible, Adam started a chain reaction.  He brought sin, and because of sin he brought death.  The law was added later to define sin and show man what sin was.  But it had no power to help man to do right or forgive sin.  A complex sacrificial worship system was set up to "push back" sin, until the redeemer came.  Christ came and was seen by God as the perfect eternal sacrifice, and He is declared to be the way to God, through faith in his sacrifice.

If death came in the world because it just the ending of biological processes--starting at microorganisms--then the story of Adam is a myth or some kind of symbolic story--then there is no such thing as the original sin, nor the sin nature of man which we inherited from Adam, and therefore the death of Christ is meaningless.  Then Christ and the apostles are either crazy, or liars.

Then there is no basis for the church or Christians, because there is no need for Christ, and Christ is the only person who authorizes the church--the Bible is the only source where the church finds its foundation.

SO to mesh the two is to say the church is just a social club of do-gooders, hypocrites, sexual deviates, and simpletons who need "the opiate for the masses."

Well sonofabitch. Hmmm. Adam can't be a metaphor and Christ's redemption be for something a bit more complicated than that? Have you actually read the new testament? And have you read the Gospel of Thomas? If you haven't read Thomas, you should.

So, in a nutshell, yep. We leaned, collectively, that the bible myth is a myth. Sorry.

The O wasn't there BTW. Bag of Oxygen in one hand, bag of carbon in the the other.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2009,02:02   

Gary, good luck. Peace.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star