RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,07:48   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 15 2008,12:33)
Ftk demonstrates more skepticism than Davetard does about those ridonkulous claims.

Not a great day for Davetard.

FtK

10/15/2008

12:14 pm

I *really* wish I knew whether all this stuff about Obama is true.

If it is, why isn’t the McCain camp flipping out about it? Shoot, they ought to be pressing hard to get at the truth about these issues, and McCain should blast Obama during the debate tonight. The American people *need* to be aware of this stuff *if* it’s being presented accurately.

Could FTK be finaly coming to realise that UD is full of liars?

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,08:08   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ Oct. 16 2008,13:48)
Ftk demonstrates more skepticism than Davetard does about those ridonkulous claims.

FtK

10/15/2008

If it is, why isn’t the McCain camp flipping out about it? Shoot, they ought to be pressing hard to get at the truth about these issues, and McCain should blast Obama during the debate tonight. The American people *need* to be aware of this stuff *if* it’s being presented accurately.

{shakes magic 8-ball}

That outcome is extremely unlikely.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,08:38   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ Oct. 16 2008,07:48)

FtK

10/15/2008

That would be a beautiful thing!  

We would all have endless hours of fun as she madly posted retractions of all her previous posts.

What will Walt Brown do?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,09:11   

Quote (J-Dog @ Oct. 16 2008,08:38)

FtK

10/15/2008

We would all have endless hours of fun as she madly posted retractions of all her previous posts.

What will Walt Brown do?

I'm with Louis. If you think that she has started to understand the difference between reality and BS, just look at her recent posts on her blog

Reasons why I could vote democrat - an attempt at humor, recycling lots of Limbaugh-esque falsehoods.

A link to John West's latest excrement on EN&V

Another attempt at conservative humor

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,09:49   

Quote (J-Dog @ Oct. 16 2008,14:38)

FtK

10/15/2008

What will Walt Brown do?

I wouldn't go that far. Retractions aren't exactly the order of the day. I'd take a simple acknowledgement of the mere possibility that she might be wrong and an adult discussion.

But it's extremely unlikely and so I get to make fun of her until she sorts herself out. Win-win in my book!

Mockery: it's what's for dinner!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,12:34   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 16 2008,08:08)

FtK

10/15/2008

{shakes magic 8-ball}

Louis

Agreed. It is unlikely, but you never know.

I find it strange that FtK has been posting here for quite a while, something must be telling her that people here are more honest than at UD.* Plus she is now seeing (possibly for the first time), just how dishonest UD is.

I think you are right but you can never be certain.

Come on FtK. Wake up. See who is more honest/open. As the people in Northern Ireland say: "catch yerself on".

* The reason I say that is the folks over on UD tend to share FtK's worldview, yet she continues to post over here.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,13:06   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Oct. 15 2008,23:49)
Dave seems pretty excited about something

DaveScot
10/15/2008
6:47 pm

Obama Investigation Team Lands in Hawaii

It is a press release from Andy Martin, recent guest of Sean Hannity.  Andy seems to be an upstanding fellow. So long as you aren't Jewish that is.  Or the person in New York that he has been harassing as part of a child custody battle (one of his two outstanding arrest warrants).

I don't know about all that. He seems to be a friendly sort.  Certainly, he takes a darn nice mugshot.

So..... then, to take stock:

DaveScot is using Dr. Dembski's Intelligent Design Blog to shill for his political theories, viz, that John McCain's political salvation depends on the investigations of a rabid anti-Semite who is wanted by the state of NY for outstanding warrants.

Ya know, a year or two ago, when we were asking "where will ID go from here?" I don't think any of us predicted that.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Spottedwind

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,13:16   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 16 2008,14:06)
So..... then, to take stock:

DaveScot is using Dr. Dembski's Intelligent Design Blog to shill for his political theories, viz, that John McCain's political salvation depends on the investigations of a rabid anti-Semite who is wanted by the state of NY for outstanding warrants.

Ya know, a year or two ago, when we were asking "where will ID go from here?" I don't think any of us predicted that.

The phrase 'rock bottom and started to dig' comes to mind.

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,13:25   

"Teach from the penitentiary!"

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,18:14   

Was there something embarrassing on the Howard Stern Thread http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/3680

[ETA: Apart from the (paraphrased) "blacks only vote for blacks because they are stupid black voters" comments by DS, of course) ]

I thought it was quite a recent one, but it looks to me like it might have had its date modified (possibly) to shift it off the front page.

The date on the post is currently 7 October 2008. However the comments start on 13 october.  

It's in the overwhelmingevidence.com  news page dated 2008-10-14 04:11

The internal post number 3680 places it between the "artificially evolved creatures" (3679 on the 13th) and "Joe the plumber"  (3682 on the 16th)

The date in the google cache version is 13th october (taken on the 15th)

The linked-to video on you tube was added on 13th october.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,19:26   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ Oct. 16 2008,18:34)
Quote (Louis @ Oct. 16 2008,08:08)

FtK

10/15/2008

{shakes magic 8-ball}

Louis

Agreed. It is unlikely, but you never know.

I find it strange that FtK has been posting here for quite a while, something must be telling her that people here are more honest than at UD.* Plus she is now seeing (possibly for the first time), just how dishonest UD is.

I think you are right but you can never be certain.

Come on FtK. Wake up. See who is more honest/open. As the people in Northern Ireland say: "catch yerself on".

* The reason I say that is the folks over on UD tend to share FtK's worldview, yet she continues to post over here.

But in the FTKiverse we aren't honest. We're mean, atheists on a daily basis and we don't ****SEE**** the hand of GOD JEBUS TEH DIZYNER Teh Godzyner in NACHEWER ergo we cannot be telling the truth. Anyway she's firmly convinced she's in possession of The Truth™ already. She knows vastly more than us horrible evilushunists and those meanie science professors.

Getting FTK to take the blinkers off is a ground up affair. When she can answer the three simple questions I asked her on the other thread we'll be in a starting position. Aiming higher than that is pointless.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,19:33   

Quote (steve_h @ Oct. 16 2008,18:14)
Was there something embarrassing on the Howard Stern Thread http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/3680

It might have been this:

Check this out too. Evidently I’m more popular than even I thought.

...but I don't know. The link goes to a page headed "2008 Election Coverage - DAVID SCOT SPRINGER FOR PRESIDENT!", but the video component that it features never loaded for me despite various combinations of platforms and browsers. Has anyone here successfully loaded the video?

P.S. What's happened to the comic sans button?

--------------
“To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.” - Isaac Asimov

"Grow up, assface" - Joe G., Grown up, ID spokesperson, Sandwalk, April 2014

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,19:38   

This one's a gem, too:

As far as I’m concerned the current poll numbers showing Obama with a lead is meaningless. On election day, I doubt most of Obama’s supporters will even come out to vote. For example, I’d bet good money that not one person featured in that Stern clip will actually be voting.

"Her, her, her, dum neegros, too lazy to get up and vote, LOL!"

Now, if I didn't know better, I'd think that my suspicion that Intelligent Design consisted of absolutely nothing more than fundie apologetics and rightwing politics was just maybe being confirmed.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,19:48   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 17 2008,01:38)
This one's a gem, too:

As far as I’m concerned the current poll numbers showing Obama with a lead is meaningless. On election day, I doubt most of Obama’s supporters will even come out to vote. For example, I’d bet good money that not one person featured in that Stern clip will actually be voting.

"Her, her, her, dum neegros, too lazy to get up and vote, LOL!"

Now, if I didn't know better, I'd think that my suspicion that Intelligent Design consisted of absolutely nothing more than fundie apologetics and rightwing politics was just maybe being confirmed.

Hush your mouth! Surely that ain't the case? Say it ain't so!

Etc.

Ok enough with the faux outrage, you're right.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,19:51   

...but I don't know. The link goes to a page headed "2008 Election Coverage - DAVID SCOT SPRINGER FOR PRESIDENT!", but the video component that it features never loaded for me despite various combinations of platforms and browsers. Has anyone here successfully loaded the video?

Worked for me. It was one of those <insert your name/photo here> videos which lets you become the star of a fake news report. See also: make your own dummies' guide, dancing-elf christmas greeting etc.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,20:49   

Wow, 7 out of 10 responses to Scooter's post on Joe the Plumber are from... Scooter!

By Nov 4, Scooter will be the only one left on UD, and he won't even notice.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2008,23:18   

Wow, 7 out of 10 responses to Scooter's post on Joe the Plumber are from... Scooter!

Seems like Dave's transforming into JAD II.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,00:30   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Oct. 16 2008,18:49)

Here's a good non-DaveTard one:

bb

10/16/2008

10:19 pm

DaveScot,

People in my neighborhood avoid McCain signs and bumper stickers because they don’t want their home or car vandalized. That says something about liberal voters doesn’t it?

No, but it does suggest that people in your neighborhood are paranoiac morons.

--------------
I wouldn’t be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again “how much”. I don’t think that’s a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,00:43   

5 jjcassidy

10/11/2008

10:59 pm
Gil, I’ve written before that a materialist would more likely believe that an elephant could fly than in a horse with wings. At least, they’ve seen an elephant.

The idea that it’s easier to believe that matter has properties that we’ve never seen it to have than to accept something they’ve never seen. It can be all done with emergent properties.

Is there a UD version of Poe's law?  Something like "Without a blatant indicator such as a smiley, it is impossible to tell the difference between a UD poster and a parody thereof."?

--------------
Like every other academic field, philosophy of religion has its share of hacks and mediocrities.   Edward Feser

‘Anything is a “real possibility” in the mind of one seeking to deny the obvious.’ – William J Murray

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,01:16   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Oct. 16 2008,20:49)

As sparc observed, very John Davisonesque. I like this bit where DT steers back into Obama-is-ineligible-to-be-President
mode and displays his lack of knowledge of recent American political history:

vrf

Nobody really needs to talk about the citizenship issue for it to play out. It's in one federal court in PA, one state court in WA, and rest assured courts don't take public opinion polls to decide the law. It isn't going away. It just gets to be a bigger and bigger mess the longer it goes on if it finally turns out Obama isn't qualified under the constituion. Obama's probably going to get disbarred over this as he had to swear under penalty of perjury when getting a license to practice law that he had not used any names other than Barrack Hussein Obama II. Pretty clearly he was also using Barry Soetoro as a minor in Indonesia (the law makes no distinction about your age) and as late as 20 years of age when he allegedly travelled to Pakistan using an Indonesian passport in that name during a time when you couldn't get into Pakistan with a U.S. passport. Perjury is an impeachable crime. Clinton almost got impeached for lying about a perfectly legal bj. Imagine how much worse for lying about the names you've used in the past.

My emphasis. Actually, you're wrong, Dave, he was impeached (try this link if you feel more at home there). But don't be too hard on yourself; it's a common misconception. Wikipedia:    
A typical misconception[citation needed] is to confuse it with direct and involuntary removal from office

Also, I like the little grammatical twist in calling the blowjob "perfectly legal". It seems to shift the emphasis away from the lying bit, which I find odd. Just saying.

--------------
“To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.” - Isaac Asimov

"Grow up, assface" - Joe G., Grown up, ID spokesperson, Sandwalk, April 2014

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,01:18   

Dave is so engrossed in hating Obama that he doesn't even think through what he is saying.  For example:

vrf

Nobody really needs to talk about the citizenship issue for it to play out. It’s in one federal court in PA, one state court in WA, and rest assured courts don’t take public opinion polls to decide the law.

No, but at least in the case of federal courts in Pennsylvania, they apparently do take their marching orders from the materialist Darwin lobby.

Quick!  Get Barbara Forrest and Eugenie Scott on the Obama legal team!  We'll make this citizenship case go away tout de suite!

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,09:51   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Oct. 16 2008,23:18)

Dave is so engrossed in hating Obama that he doesn't even think through what he is saying.  For example:

vrf

Nobody really needs to talk about the citizenship issue for it to play out. It’s in one federal court in PA, one state court in WA, and rest assured courts don’t take public opinion polls to decide the law.

No, but at least in the case of federal courts in Pennsylvania, they apparently do take their marching orders from the materialist Darwin lobby.

Quick!  Get Barbara Forrest and Eugenie Scott on the Obama legal team!  We'll make this citizenship case go away tout de suite!

Well, we always wondered what would happen if Dave Tard had his own blog...

So let's see... the following are the things that UDers are counting on to save McCain:

1) Joe the Plumber
2) Obama is a Kenyan citizen
3) Obama is an Indonesian citizen
4) all those Negroes are really too lazy to vote
5) we're on the verge of proving Obama's a Muslim
6) the courts will intervene

others? fathered two black kids?

Didn't Dave once ridicule Darwinists for depending on courts for everything?

Added in edit:

7) all those young kids with stocking caps on who want to vote for Obama are too flaky actually get to the polls

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,11:15   

test comic
test italic
test bold

The single-quotes in the style tag are getting translated to HTML entities, that's what. Not sure why.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,12:28   

Dave continues on his anti-Obama crusade:
17 October 2008
Voter Preference by Education Level
DaveScot

I’m filing this under education and intelligent design because it points out that a certain segment of the public veers radically from everyone else and it’s the same segment that radically opposes intelligent design.

From Gallup 10/16/08 presidential tracking poll:

Education: Obama%/McCain%

High School or less: 42/48
Some College: 41/52
College graduate: 46/49
Post graduate: 55/40

Interesting, no?

Shorter Davescot: Help! We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture!"

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,12:30   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Oct. 17 2008,17:15)
test comic
test italic
test bold

The single-quotes in the style tag are getting translated to HTML entities, that's what. Not sure why.

Try it without the quotes

drew91

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,12:34   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Oct. 17 2008,12:28)
Shorter Davescot: Help! We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture!"

I love that quote.  It makes me chuckle every time I see it.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,12:47   

Any volunteer to congratulate Dr. Dr. Dembski at his own blog on having three papers under review for exactly 500 days today?

<> Conservation of Information in Search: Measuring the Cost of Success. [posted 5jun07] Paper currently under review on the mathematical foundations of intelligent design coauthored with Robert J. Marks II. This paper develops a general method for critiquing inflated claims about the power of evolutionary computing.

<> Active Information in Evolutionary Search. [posted 5jun07] Paper currently under review on the mathematical foundations of intelligent design coauthored with Robert J. Marks II. This paper critiques Olle Häggström’s 2007 article in Biology and Philosophy titled “Intelligent Design and the NFL Theorems.”

<> Unacknowledged Information Costs in Evolutionary Computing: A Case Study on the Evolution of Nucleotide Binding Sites. [posted 5jun07] Paper currently under review on the mathematical foundations of intelligent design coauthored with Robert J. Marks II. This paper critiques Thomas Schneider’s 2000 article in Nucleic Acids Research titled “Evolution of Biological Information.”
link

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,12:53   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Oct. 17 2008,10:28)
Dave continues on his anti-Obama crusade:

17 October 2008
Voter Preference by Education Level
DaveScot

I’m filing this under education and intelligent design because it points out that a certain segment of the public veers radically from everyone else and it’s the same segment that radically opposes intelligent design.

From Gallup 10/16/08 presidential tracking poll:

Education: Obama%/McCain%

High School or less: 42/48
Some College: 41/52
College graduate: 46/49
Post graduate: 55/40

Interesting, no?

(yesterday's numbers in parentheses) and the other trackers from yesterday (previous day's data). LV=likely voter, RV=registered voter.

Obama      McCain    MoE +/-   RV/LV
Today
Research 2000:  52 (52)    42 (41)    3         LV
Reuters/Zogby:  49 (49)    44 (44)    2.8       LV
Diageo/Hotline: 50 (49)    40 (41)    3.4       LV
Rasmussen:      50 (50)    46 (46)    2         LV
Battleground:   49 (50)    45 (44)    3.5       LV

Yesterday
Gallup:         49 (50)    43 (43)    2         RV  See also the LV I and LV II numbers
IBD/TIPP:       45 (45)    42 (42)    3.3       LV

(Copied from Here.)

So, I don't think that D'Tard has those numbers correct. There just aren't that many post graduates to make the marginals work.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,13:11   

Quote (sparc @ Oct. 17 2008,12:47)
<> Conservation of Information in Search: Measuring the Cost of Success. [posted 5jun07] Paper currently under review on the mathematical foundations of intelligent design coauthored with Robert J. Marks II. This paper develops a general method for critiquing inflated claims about the power of evolutionary computing.

<> Active Information in Evolutionary Search. [posted 5jun07] Paper currently under review on the mathematical foundations of intelligent design coauthored with Robert J. Marks II. This paper critiques Olle Häggström’s 2007 article in Biology and Philosophy titled “Intelligent Design and the NFL Theorems.”

<> Unacknowledged Information Costs in Evolutionary Computing: A Case Study on the Evolution of Nucleotide Binding Sites. [posted 5jun07] Paper currently under review on the mathematical foundations of intelligent design coauthored with Robert J. Marks II. This paper critiques Thomas Schneider’s 2000 article in Nucleic Acids Research titled “Evolution of Biological Information.”
link

I see one method for critiquing and two critiques.

All science so far.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2008,15:32   

DaveScot: A guy can’t be installed as POTUS that fails the background check for the highest level of security clearance in the United States of America.

Of course he can. A security statute or order can't override the Constitution. It's a decision for the electorate, not officials of the security apparatus of the previous administration.

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States.

The President has executive powers and acts as commander in chief of the armed forces.

--------------
The struggle against ignorance is to the end of time. But it is said that if you die in tard, you will be reborn in Tardhalla.

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]