RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (639) < ... 538 539 540 541 542 [543] 544 545 546 547 548 ... >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,10:04   

I feel some sympathy for Mabus as well. I think it came up around the time I first saw his pic from that atheist convention.

He doesn't look like a monster. He does look a bit creepy when you link that pic to his online rants, but I think if he was a balanced fellow IRL, I wouldn't mind at all. Lots of subjectivity in there.

But without whishing any physical/psychological harm to come to him, I still feel pretty creeped-out when I learn that he's turning up at real life events. If he is as deranged as his online persona, I don't want to wait for the day we read the headlines about the fundie shoot-out at an atheist event.

Incarcertion is clearly not the right solution. But a psy evaluation and eventual treatment would be the best, most human thing to do.

Maybe the Police is not the best agency to notify. Social services or mental-health services might be a wiser choice.

Hang in there, Mabus.

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,11:24   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Aug. 10 2011,10:04)
I feel some sympathy for Mabus as well. I think it came up around the time I first saw his pic from that atheist convention.

He doesn't look like a monster. He does look a bit creepy when you link that pic to his online rants, but I think if he was a balanced fellow IRL, I wouldn't mind at all. Lots of subjectivity in there.

But without whishing any physical/psychological harm to come to him, I still feel pretty creeped-out when I learn that he's turning up at real life events. If he is as deranged as his online persona, I don't want to wait for the day we read the headlines about the fundie shoot-out at an atheist event.

Incarcertion is clearly not the right solution. But a psy evaluation and eventual treatment would be the best, most human thing to do.

Maybe the Police is not the best agency to notify. Social services or mental-health services might be a wiser choice.

Hang in there, Mabus.

Not sure about Canadian law, but here in the US, only a relative can commit someone - I don't believe that a social worker can do it on their own.  It might be, I just don't know.  I know it is easier when they are picked up by the police and a a judge orders and eval.  My info may be out of date and not applicable up north, but there you go.

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,11:34   

Quote (J-Dog @ Aug. 10 2011,15:56)
Meh, perhaps I'm wrong about a lot of things, this included, but I dislike the baying of crowds and perhaps it makes me more sympathetic towards Mabus than it should.

MabusHulk give you big wet sloppy kiss!*

* Oh all right, I admit you are right about the baying of crowds, but
1.) Mabus is NUTZ
2.) Me like funny MabusHulk**

** Onlookers - But not if somebody gets hurt / CYA

Mockery = Teh Gud!

Mocking Mabus is good and proper. It is The Right Thing To Do ™.

Taking it off line....well I am in two minds about that, strongly erring on the side of what people are suggesting. He has made repeated death threats over a number of years. Regardless of whether he is dangerous or not, that alone is "rolled up newspaper across the nose time for psych evaluation" territory.

But the madness of crowds? Baying internet hordes hounding a mentally ill person (if he is) or a childish miscreant (if he is)? Not so comfortable with that. PZ and similar targets have business with Mabus. Not sure I do.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,11:55   

Quote (Louis @ Aug. 10 2011,17:34)
Quote (J-Dog @ Aug. 10 2011,15:56)
Meh, perhaps I'm wrong about a lot of things, this included, but I dislike the baying of crowds and perhaps it makes me more sympathetic towards Mabus than it should.

MabusHulk give you big wet sloppy kiss!*

* Oh all right, I admit you are right about the baying of crowds, but
1.) Mabus is NUTZ
2.) Me like funny MabusHulk**

** Onlookers - But not if somebody gets hurt / CYA

Mockery = Teh Gud!

Mocking Mabus is good and proper. It is The Right Thing To Do ™.

Taking it off line....well I am in two minds about that, strongly erring on the side of what people are suggesting. He has made repeated death threats over a number of years. Regardless of whether he is dangerous or not, that alone is "rolled up newspaper across the nose time for psych evaluation" territory.

But the madness of crowds? Baying internet hordes hounding a mentally ill person (if he is) or a childish miscreant (if he is)? Not so comfortable with that. PZ and similar targets have business with Mabus. Not sure I do.

Louis

Louis, let's face it: Mabus hasn't even tried to make a SINGLE coherent discussion anywhere on the internet.

There is an underlying problem. Some of us offered a calm talk to get where he's coming from: NADA. The guy is fucked up bad. Doesn't listen to reason, or calming posts. No, he just threatens poeple, their families, their lives...

How much more can you tolerate? Internet threats are not such a big deal in and of themselves, but when it gets into real life (showing up at atheist events), it should be at least investigated into. Dontcha think?

--------------

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,12:33   

People like Mabuse never look like monsters, but they do remind some women of their ex-husbands (I'm not included in this statement), and some men of that one particular co-worker.

I don't feel any sympathy for him. What a boring, snorefest PITA.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,13:24   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Aug. 10 2011,08:04)
(snip)He doesn't look like a monster.(snip)

Morticia: Why, Wednesday, where's your Hallowe'en costume?

Wednesday: I'm going as a homicidal maniac. They look just like everybody else.

Dennis is probably just a bag of wind, but y'never know...

--------------
"But it's disturbing to think someone actually thinks creationism -- having put it's hand on the hot stove every day for the last 400 years -- will get a different result tomorrow." -- midwifetoad

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,15:17   

Quote (Kristine @ Aug. 10 2011,12:33)
People like Mabuse never look like monsters, but they do remind some women of their ex-husbands (I'm not included in this statement), and some men of that one particular co-worker.

And I hope you read that while you were lurking, Mabus, Zzzdiv, zod-off, or whatever legion of supersockynonhero names you are calling to your aid when you are barfing all over this Bathroom Wall like a callow freshman marketing major from North Dakota at his first house party.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,16:20   

Perhaps it's just the fear those of who teach have had instilled in us in recent years, but he reminds me too much of those kids that fantasize about killing everyone else at school.  Sometimes they're just blowing off steam, but how do you tell them from the ones that one day decide to try it in the real world?  The fact that we've gotten to the point where we have more drills for "intruder" than for fire or tornado perhaps makes me overly touchy on the subject.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,16:38   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Aug. 10 2011,16:20)

Perhaps it's just the fear those of who teach have had instilled in us in recent years, but he reminds me too much of those kids that fantasize about killing everyone else at school.  Sometimes they're just blowing off steam, but how do you tell them from the ones that one day decide to try it in the real world?  The fact that we've gotten to the point where we have more drills for "intruder" than for fire or tornado perhaps makes me overly touchy on the subject.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,16:39   

Quote (Badger3k @ Aug. 11 2011,02:24)
Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Aug. 10 2011,10:04)

Hang in there, Mabus.

Not sure about Canadian law, but here in the US, only a relative can commit someone - I don't believe that a social worker can do it on their own.  It might be, I just don't know.  I know it is easier when they are picked up by the police and a a judge orders and eval.  My info may be out of date and not applicable up north, but there you go.

In my experience here in OZ, the police are the best people to call as they can get stuff done the fastest. Unless it is voluntary, it is incredibly hard to commit somebody, or even raise any interest. My BIL tried to commit suicide a few times and even then he was only kept overnight.

I think that the fact that Mabus is barely coherent is a plus in that if the police knock on his door, he isn't sane enough to pretend he was doing it all for a lark.

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,16:43   

In my experience here in OZ

I stopped reading at this point. Australia! *Drools*

I need to travel more!

--------------

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,17:54   

We have "Lockdown" drills where we have to secure the rooms, keep everyone quiet, etc.

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,17:57   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Aug. 10 2011,16:43)

I need to travel more!

Australia?  Damn, I was hoping for munchkins and flying freaking monkeys (ok, they were apes in the movie, but..., flying primates!).

That, and a few bricks of that golden road (unless it is just painted bricks), or a bit of that Emerald city... :D

--------------

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,18:03   

Quote (Badger3k @ Aug. 10 2011,23:57)
Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Aug. 10 2011,16:43)

I need to travel more!

Australia?  Damn, I was hoping for munchkins and flying freaking monkeys (ok, they were apes in the movie, but..., flying primates!).

That, and a few bricks of that golden road (unless it is just painted bricks), or a bit of that Emerald city... :D

I was expecting a black inmate in a wheelchair...

--------------

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 10 2011,23:08   

Quote (Badger3k @ Aug. 10 2011,17:54)

We have "Lockdown" drills where we have to secure the rooms, keep everyone quiet, etc.

That's them.  We actually had one scare last year where we were told it wasn't a drill.  It turned out it was nothing to do with us (some mentally ill person down the road started shooting at hallucinatory intruders), but we stayed on lockdown for a good half hour.  Fun trying to get teenagers interested in chemistry again after that.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,06:30   

There's a petition at Change.org that you can sign aimed at the Montreal police, asking them to officially state whether or not the "David Mabus"/Dennis Markuse threats over the internet are violations of law:

It is time for the police to take his threats seriously. The problem must be addressed before it escalates beyond Internet bullying and veiled threats to become something worse.  Please make a public statement whether Mr. Markuze has violated Canada's uttered threats laws (criminal code section 264)

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,06:43   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Aug. 11 2011,12:30)
There's a petition at Change.org that you can sign aimed at the Montreal police, asking them to officially state whether or not the "David Mabus"/Dennis Markuse threats over the internet are violations of law:

It is time for the police to take his threats seriously. The problem must be addressed before it escalates beyond Internet bullying and veiled threats to become something worse.  Please make a public statement whether Mr. Markuze has violated Canada's uttered threats laws (criminal code section 264)

Eh, I got a mail from "Change" stating that you went there from a link I posted on Facebook. I am immensely proud!

:p

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,08:39   

In California, a person can be involuntarily held for 78 hours for psychiatric evaluation IFF they are "a danger to themselves or others." This can be renewed twice before a hearing before a judge is required.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,09:07   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Aug. 11 2011,06:30)

I went there and signed it.  Markuze is posting there now too, as "Felixa Krulla", making threats.

Talk about having an adversary make one's case for you...  :p

--------------
JoeG: And by eating the cake you are consuming the information- some stays with you and the rest is waste.

Mindrover

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,09:30   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Aug. 11 2011,06:30)

I mught just be a lurker, but I've signed it.

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,13:57   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Aug. 11 2011,08:39)
In California, a person can be involuntarily held for 78 hours for psychiatric evaluation IFF they are "a danger to themselves or others." This can be renewed twice before a hearing before a judge is required.

He's a danger to himself and others?

--------------

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,16:25   

Looks like Mabus is in some deep kimchi

Montreal police start probe of Twitter threats

A fast-growing online petition launched Monday demanding Montreal police "Take 'Mabus's death threats seriously" quickly swamped police email facilities, spokesperson Lt. Ian Lafrenière acknowledged: "It was kind of crazy."

Police investigators have been assigned following a formal complaint filed with Station 7, Lafrenière said. He said he couldn't provide the date the complaint was first filed or any developments in the probe.

He refused to confirm the identity of the St. Laurent man, who often tweets under the name "David Mabus" and who did not return phone calls seeking comment made to his work and home numbers.

--------------
JoeG: And by eating the cake you are consuming the information- some stays with you and the rest is waste.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,16:33   

Occam - I followed your link... Got to laugh at a comment:

You can find out David Mabus' real name by Googling David Mabus! :)

And it looks as though someone is finally going to take our little deranged chew toy away.

MabusHulk now cry like little girl.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,16:43   

CTV in Montreal has now picked up the story, and identifies Dennis Markuze as "Mabus"

Montreal police investigating alleged threats made against atheists

--------------

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,16:44   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Aug. 11 2011,16:25)

A fast-growing online petition launched Monday demanding Montreal police "Take 'Mabus's death threats seriously" quickly swamped police email facilities, spokesperson Lt. Ian Lafrenière acknowledged: "It was kind of crazy."

Police investigators have been assigned following a formal complaint filed with Station 7, Lafrenière said. He said he couldn't provide the date the complaint was first filed or any developments in the probe.

He refused to confirm the identity of the St. Laurent man, who often tweets under the name "David Mabus" and who did not return phone calls seeking comment made to his work and home numbers.

wait... he has a work number?!?!?

I must know what he does as a 'job'.  I'm going to bet it's Youth Minister for a local church.

It would have to be that to allow him to spam all day every day.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,17:09   

Quote (J-Dog @ Aug. 11 2011,16:33)
Occam - I followed your link... Got to laugh at a comment:

You can find out David Mabus' real name by Googling David Mabus! :)

And it looks as though someone is finally going to take our little deranged chew toy away.

MabusHulk now cry like little girl.

I begyerpardon! :)

You wanna meetup in Chicagger, or what? Look, everybody - shiny drinkies! *Redirect* :D

ETA - spelling rose garden

Edited by Kristine on Aug. 11 2011,17:10

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,17:15   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Aug. 11 2011,16:44)

wait... he has a work number?!?!?

I must know what he does as a 'job'.  I'm going to bet it's Youth Minister for a local church.

It would have to be that to allow him to spam all day every day.

Ooh, "death and decapitation"! You can thank me for posting a comment about the latter!

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Steverino

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,17:39   

I believe, from memory....that Dennis is a photog.  Wasn't he the one who demanded a new camera from PZ a few years ago?

--------------
- Born right the first time.
- Asking questions is NOT the same as providing answers.
- It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up!

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,17:48   

Quote (Steverino @ Aug. 11 2011,15:39)
I believe, from memory....that Dennis is a photog.  Wasn't he the one who demanded a new camera from PZ a few years ago?

I think that was John Kwok.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it.
- Robert Byers

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 11 2011,18:06   

There's a story printed in a lot of Canadian outlets that features Dennis' mom, Eva Markuse, who says everybody must have misinterpreted her son, and that a free society has to let people speak the truth.

It sounds like Dennis has a prime enabler in his life.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

19153 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (639) < ... 538 539 540 541 542 [543] 544 545 546 547 548 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]