RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (637) < ... 566 567 568 569 570 [571] 572 573 574 575 576 ... >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 19 2012,13:18   

Sigworthy

It is well known that thorny games such as the prisoner's dilemma can be solved if both players can credibly commit themselves to cooperating, but how can I convince you that I will cooperate when it is a dominant strategy for me to defect? (And, if you and I are game theorists, you know that I know that you know that I know that defecting is a dominant strategy.)

from Richard Thaler's contribution to http://www.edge.org/contrib....anation

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2012,15:16   

Another sig worthy quote:

I have no interest in math. This is biology.

From our very own guest star, Robert Byers.

I've run out of sig room or I'd grab it.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 21 2012,02:33   

Quote (Kristine @ Jan. 14 2012,21:39)
Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 14 2012,17:11)
Last night I saw the new film version of Le Carre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. If I hadn't read the book the book and seen the BBC mini-series, it would have been incomprehensible, and still worth seeing.

But the reason for bringing it up here is that one of the minor characters, Peter Guillam (played by Benedict Cumberbatch), looks exactly like the DI Fellow Dr Stephen Meyer.

(I was going to make a joke about Dembski playing Karla when I realized that Karla _is_ Dembski.)

I want to see it!

That made me think of something: if a movie (or more appropriately, a miniseries) were to be made about the whole evo-ID fight, which actors would you choose to play which personalities on our side and the IDists'? Just for fun, let's say that it can be any actor from any era. (I'm sorry, but so many "actors" today just suck.)

For William Dembski, I would choose a 1980s Dwight Schultz. :)

Our very own Jeannot is a Dembski look-alike, poor guy. Except he's French so he'd never wear that sweater.

There's  a guy in the physical geography dept in the uni here in Frankfurt who's a dead ringer for Meyer, too.

--------------
ID theorists don’t postulate a designer for their arguments. - Crandaddy
There is no connection between a peppered moth, natural selection, and religion that I can see. - FtK

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 21 2012,03:12   

Quote (Robin @ Jan. 20 2012,16:16)

Byers is too inane to be sigworthy.

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2012,11:05   

Best way to stop your children from becoming an atheist:

http://digg.com/newsbar....athiest

So true.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2012,21:19   

Just FYI - I'm not AWOL or ignoring you guys - we're moving. Signing a lease February 1 in the region where I work. We have been fixing up Barky's house to sell.

That, and I'm getting a new office. :)

I might have another part time position, an archivist position (at last!;) temporarily. So that will make three jobs, plus the freelance work.

But I'm still around!

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2012,09:23   

Quote (Kristine @ Jan. 23 2012,21:19)
Just FYI - I'm not AWOL or ignoring you guys - we're moving. Signing a lease February 1 in the region where I work. We have been fixing up Barky's house to sell.

That, and I'm getting a new office. :)

I might have another part time position, an archivist position (at last!) temporarily. So that will make three jobs, plus the freelance work.

But I'm still around!

Nice Kristine! Congrats on the new office! And no more insane neighbors I presume?

Good luck!

--------------

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2012,13:24   

Hi Kristine, if I lived in your neighbourhood, I'd bring you bread and salt.

--------------
Barry Arrington is a bitch.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2012,17:00   

EVILutionists not welcome!!  :angry:

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2012,20:47   

Quote (Kattarina98 @ Jan. 24 2012,13:24)
Hi Kristine, if I lived in your neighbourhood, I'd bring you bread and salt.

Hey, thanks! The deer would probably get into the salt, though. ;)

Quote (Robin @ Jan. 24 2012,09:23)

Nice Kristine! Congrats on the new office! And no more insane neighbors I presume?

Good luck!

No neighbors - at least not very close. We'll have some wooded land. :) T'will be dark and quiet - maybe dark enough for me to check out some telescopes from the Astronomical Soc.

I must admit I'm dying to see the faces of Family Sasquatch when we haul out the moving van next week. Rev. Barky thinks they may be happy, but they have had so much invested in fighting with us that I think they will be pissed to see us go (and to learn where we are going - a very nice area). They always got pissy whenever we went on vacation - we were not there to be a target. I found that, um, more indicative of their forcing intimacy than any distaste for us.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2012,06:25   

No neighbors - at least not very close. We'll have some wooded land. :) T'will be dark and quiet - maybe dark enough for me to check out some telescopes from the Astronomical Soc.

Oh, what a wonderful world... Production discontinued.

--------------
The fundamental choice to be made, given the available information, is not whether chance provides a better explanation than design, but whether natural laws provide a better explanation than a design.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2012,12:15   

Quote (Robin @ Jan. 20 2012,16:16)

Dave Luckett responds

You’re nuts, Byers. You’re barking, gurgling, rolling-eyed, drooling, foaming at the mouth, wetting your pants doolalli. You’re insane. I’ve found you occasionally entertaining in the past - but that is now, for me, overlaid with the shame of realising that in the eighteenth century people went to Bedlam Hospital to be amused by the mad, and I am doing the same. I am ashamed of myself for that

quit being such a pussy Dave LOLOLOL

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2012,12:45   

I'm sure the folks at UD are concerned:

According to the new study of almost 200,000 people in 11 European countries, people who are religious have higher self-esteem and better psychological adjustment than the non-religious only in countries where belief in religion is common. In more secular societies, the religious and the non-religious are equally well-off.

"The results suggest that religiosity, albeit a potent force, confers benefits by riding on cultural values," study researcher Jochen Gebauer of Humboldt University in Berlin and colleagues wrote online Jan. 5 in the journal Psychological Science.

Many studies have shown benefits to religion, from an increase in self-control to greater happiness among the faithful. But where these benefits come from is still an open question. It could be something related to religion or religious teachings; alternatively, the social side of religion might play a role. For example, a December 2010 study published in the journal American Sociological Review found that it's the social networks fostered by attending religious services that make religious people more satisfied with their lives.

No wonder I feel so damn good about myself!

:D

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 27 2012,22:31   

I had recalled that there was a thread devoted to Paul Nelson, but I could not find it with the search function.

A few here might be interested that Paul is the first, and apparently only, faculty member for the "Master of Arts in Science and Religion" (MASR) program at Biola.
A sample of courses;
CSSR 530 – Darwin, Evolution, & Design

A survey of the issues and ideas involved in relating classical Darwinian and contemporary evolutionary models with a biblical worldview. Special emphasis is given to controversies that are used by skeptics to call Christian theism into question.

CSSR 631 – Modern Physics, Cosmology, & Design

A survey of the issues and ideas involved in relating modern physics and astronomy to a biblical worldview. Special emphasis is given to controversies that are used by skeptics to call Christian theism into question.

CSSR 652 – Human Origins Seminar

An in-depth focus on the current archaeological, anthropological, and biochemical evidence related to the debate on human origins.

CSSR 653 – Origins of Life Seminar

A detailed review of the current evidence, models and mechanisms relating to chemical evolution and the origin of life.

In all honesty, I am far more qualified than Paul.   :D
(Except for that young earth creationist problem he has).

In other academic news, a press release from Arizona State boasted about their new hire, PT Meister Reed Cartwright.

Bravo!

Edited by Dr.GH on Jan. 27 2012,20:42

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2012,01:15   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Jan. 27 2012,20:31)
I had recalled that there was a thread devoted to Paul Nelson, but I could not find it with the search function.

A few here might be interested that Paul is the first, and apparently only, faculty member for the "Master of Arts in Science and Religion" (MASR) program at Biola.
A sample of courses;

A survey of the issues and ideas involved in relating classical Darwinian and contemporary evolutionary models with a biblical worldview. Special emphasis is given to controversies that are used by skeptics to call Christian theism into question.

A survey of the issues and ideas involved in relating modern physics and astronomy to a biblical worldview. Special emphasis is given to controversies that are used by skeptics to call Christian theism into question.

An in-depth focus on the current archaeological, anthropological, and biochemical evidence related to the debate on human origins.

A detailed review of the current evidence, models and mechanisms relating to chemical evolution and the origin of life.

In other academic news, a press release from Arizona State boasted about their new hire, PT Meister Reed Cartwright.

Bravo!

That puts nelson, craig, dembski, and hunter all under the same roof. And speaking of hunter, check out his first name on this page:

tard university

--------------
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. - Jesus in Matthew 10:34

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. -Jesus in Luke 19:27

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2012,11:44   

That is an All-Star Lineup Of The Stupid!!!

BTW - This pic came up when i googled "Cornelius Hunter:

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

afarensis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2012,13:56   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Jan. 27 2012,22:31)

A sample of courses;

Bravo!

Nelson doesn't teach the human origins seminar Instead it is taught by an old earth creationist who "...does not believe that the scientific record supports biological descent from a common ape-like ancestor."

The required reading/viewing is:

Textbooks:

Fazale, Rana, and Hugh Ross. 2005. Who Was Adam? A Creation Model Approach to the Origin of Man. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress.
   Klein, Richard G., and Blake Edgar. 2002. The Dawn of Human Culture: A Bold New Theory on What Sparked the "Big Bang" of Human Consciousness. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.
   Lubenow, Marvin L. 2004. Bones of Contention: A Creationist Assessment of Human Fossils. Revised and expanded ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.
   Miller, Keith B. 2003. Perspectives on an Evolving Creation. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans.

DVDs:

“DNA vs. The Book of Mormon.” 2003. (50 min. online Video Stream) Brigham City, UT: Living Hope Ministries. (see this web page: http://www.mscbc.org/video....ed.htm)
   “Journey of Man, The Story of the Human Species.” 2003. (DVD) directed by Clive Maltby and Spencer Wells. Bethesda, MD: PBS

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2012,22:35   

Quote (J-Dog @ Jan. 28 2012,09:44)

LOL!

--------------
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. - Jesus in Matthew 10:34

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. -Jesus in Luke 19:27

The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2012,23:20   

Quote (afarensis @ Jan. 28 2012,11:56)

Quote (Dr.GH @ Jan. 27 2012,22:31)

A sample of courses;

Bravo!

Nelson doesn't teach the human origins seminar Instead it is taught by an old earth creationist who "...does not believe that the scientific record supports biological descent from a common ape-like ancestor."

The required reading/viewing is:

Textbooks:

Fazale, Rana, and Hugh Ross. 2005. Who Was Adam? A Creation Model Approach to the Origin of Man. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress.
   Klein, Richard G., and Blake Edgar. 2002. The Dawn of Human Culture: A Bold New Theory on What Sparked the "Big Bang" of Human Consciousness. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.
   Lubenow, Marvin L. 2004. Bones of Contention: A Creationist Assessment of Human Fossils. Revised and expanded ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.
   Miller, Keith B. 2003. Perspectives on an Evolving Creation. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans.

DVDs:

“DNA vs. The Book of Mormon.” 2003. (50 min. online Video Stream) Brigham City, UT: Living Hope Ministries. (see this web page: http://www.mscbc.org/video......ed.htm)
   “Journey of Man, The Story of the Human Species.” 2003. (DVD) directed by Clive Maltby and Spencer Wells. Bethesda, MD: PBS

On that page at the Biola site it says:

"Course Objectives / Learning Outcomes

After successfully completing this course students will have:

Summarized recent scientific advances in human-origins research
   Explained the major ideas in human evolution
   Critically evaluated the human evolutionary paradigm
   Differentiated between various approaches used by Christians to integrate the biblical and scientific accounts of humanity's origin
   Critically evaluated Christian human origins models from scientific and biblical perspective"  (my emphasis)

In other words, the students will learn how to spew ridiculous, dishonest bullshit to integrate the biblical and scientific accounts of humanity's origin fool themselves and other gullible sheep into thinking that their fairy tale religious beliefs can be legitimately mixed with, or completely supported by, scientific reality.

These are pretty funny:

"Prerequisites

None

Relation to Curriculum

M.A. Science and Religion elective.

Final Examination

No"

I'm sure that they prefer students who have little to no previous science education. It's much easier to brainwash them that way.

--------------

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2012,11:23   

UD's way of organising comments is a mess; it's logical but not convenient to follow.

--------------
Barry Arrington is a bitch.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2012,13:22   

Quote (The whole truth @ Jan. 28 2012,23:35)

LOL!

On that Biola faculty page, "George" Hunter doesn't seem to be proud of his PhD from the University of Illinois in Biophysics and Computational Biology

Protein structure analysis and prediction
by Hunter, Cornelius George Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001, 138 pages; AAT 3017108

It seems "George" tried to parlay that work into a faculty position at Rice University - http://www.cs.rice.edu/Colloqu....4.shtml

Guess it didn't work out.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2012,19:29   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 31 2012,04:22)
Quote (The whole truth @ Jan. 28 2012,23:35)

LOL!

On that Biola faculty page, "George" Hunter doesn't seem to be proud of his PhD from the University of Illinois in Biophysics and Computational Biology

Protein structure analysis and prediction
by Hunter, Cornelius George Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001, 138 pages; AAT 3017108

It seems "George" tried to parlay that work into a faculty position at Rice University - http://www.cs.rice.edu/Colloqu....4.shtml

Guess it didn't work out.

How could someone do all that book learnin' and still be as thick as two bricks.

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2012,03:48   

How could someone do all that book learnin' and still be as thick as two bricks.

Just a rhetorical question, I presume?

--------------
The fundamental choice to be made, given the available information, is not whether chance provides a better explanation than design, but whether natural laws provide a better explanation than a design.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2012,05:02   

Quote (MichaelJ @ Jan. 31 2012,01:29)

Quote (W. A. Dembski PhD PhD MA @ Jan. 31 2012, 01:59)
Uhhhhh . . . Wut?

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2012,06:01   

Not ignoring you guys either. I' currently freezing my ass off in Poland and have limited access to the interweb.

-12C at noon, wonderful...

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 01 2012,20:19   

*Gloat*

My new digs. I got snookered into completing a book review on short notice this week, plus putting together an application for a scholarship to a Air 'n' Space Museum conference due today, plus working both jobs, plus packing. Ahhhh! But here we are, with delivered pizza and drinks in our new place, plus two freaked out cats. It's so quiet you can hear the deer exhale! :)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,01:06   

Quote (Kristine @ Feb. 01 2012,18:19)
*Gloat*

My new digs. I got snookered into completing a book review on short notice this week, plus putting together an application for a scholarship to a Air 'n' Space Museum conference due today, plus working both jobs, plus packing. Ahhhh! But here we are, with delivered pizza and drinks in our new place, plus two freaked out cats. It's so quiet you can hear the deer exhale! :)

Congratulations Kristine. Just point me to the guest room...

--------------
"But it's disturbing to think someone actually thinks creationism -- having put it's hand on the hot stove every day for the last 400 years -- will get a different result tomorrow." -- midwifetoad

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,01:37   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Jan. 31 2012,06:01)
Not ignoring you guys either. I' currently freezing my ass off in Poland and have limited access to the interweb.

-12C at noon, wonderful...

Just make sure the front-to-back ratio stays on the right side of the scale.

--------------

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,07:44   

Quote (Kattarina98 @ Jan. 30 2012,11:23)
UD's way of organising comments is a mess; it's logical but not convenient to follow.

I love the way the preview pane responds instantly to typing though, including html edits. No messing about with previews and hitting the 'post' button when you meant 'preview'.

--------------
Evolutionists trust entropy for creation of life but are like men who horse a crocodile to get across a river - niwrad.

The organism could already metabolize citrus. Joe G

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2012,08:05   

Quote (Kristine @ Feb. 01 2012,20:19)
*Gloat*

Sweet!

What's the scholarship to the Air n Space Museum conference all about? Just curious since they (well...the Udvar Hazy Center at Dulles and the Main center in DC) are in my backyard.

--------------

19094 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (637) < ... 566 567 568 569 570 [571] 572 573 574 575 576 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]