Joined: Jan. 2006
[Graffiti moved to Bathroom Wall. -Admin]
|Quote (BWE @ April 11 2008,16:58)|
|Quote (Louis @ April 11 2008,09:59)|
|Quote (BWE @ April 11 2008,14:59)|
|Here's the thing. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I have an extra keen sense of the absurd and an overactive brain. Those are like crack and a crackpipe when you put them together.|
I too poke things with sharp sticks just to see what they do. I'm not proud of that but it's the cross I have to bear.
OK that is vastly too close to home for comfort!
Have I ever told you about driving Karma? No? Oh! Well then. You are in luck!
Driving Karma keeps me safe on the roads. Here's how it works:
Every time someone cuts me off, forgets a turn signal, goes to slow or to fast, or whatever another driver may do that could potentially irk me, I smile and wave and do my best to sort out my end of the issue.
The reason I do this is that no matter how egregious or heinous of a transgression has been trespassed upon me, I know that I either have or will do something equally as stupid and this time it just happened to be the other driver's turn. Because I create no negative karma through that side of the equation, and I shit you not, I drive perfectly serenely, not because I am an especially good driver, although I don't wreck cars or get tickets as a rule, but because I have good driving Karma. If I want to merge, I just pick a rear bumper, turn on my signal and merge. If somebody is hurried and stressed and trying to close the space, I don't worry because I have good driving karma and I know they will make room. They always do. And I always let other people merge so that I can feel good about it myself when it's my turn.
It doesn't work quite the same on message boards because half or maybe 99% of the fun is the absurdity of the world. As a matter of fact, it's almost the only thing I write about. Well, absurdity is one thing, but I like to walk a very fine line where the air is fresh and most travelers are afraid to tread - a line between irony, satire and mock hostility. The dangers inherent in the landscape include actually forgetting that it's a joke (very rare, but potentially abusive language can result), frustrating others by missing a bit of humanity in a post and satirizing what was asked in an honest fashion and finally, not being funny. I remind myself to stay on the lookout for signs of any of those transgressions and to smile and apologize quickly if I notice them because, just like driving, if someone else gets upset, I don't have to worry about my karma.
I operate the same driving policy.....about 80% of the time. The other 20% are when I am the stressed, maniacal idiot in the car steaming along at double the speed limit. I am justly ashamed of those times.
They are becoming less frequent as I harmonise my driving chakras and meditate on the ineffible oneness of the combustion engine.
Message board karma? I give as I get. I'm exceedingly happy to be exceedingly pleasant to people willing to give and take a degree of intellectual effort. And I think I can say hand on heart that the majority of the time I manage this (feel free to disagree with examples of course). I think, for example, that using the word "fuck" is a trivial thing, and irrelevance. Form not substance. I think, for example, that failing to support one's claims in any manner and endlessly repeating them is exceedingly rude. Substance not form. I don't get energised about the former example.
So, apart from a decidedly blunt and vicious defense of certain humourous expressions (hardly the most damaging thing in the world), what have I got to answer for in this case?
Don't skirt around the issue, come out and say it. If I disagree, I'll let you know how and why. No more or less can be asked of any of us.