RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (464) < ... 458 459 460 461 462 [463] 464 >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2020,19:48   

Very interesting. I'm inclined to think that someone wouldn't plant the quoted comment as a false flag.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,00:38   

Stevestory: "Saying what he did, isn’t he begging to be outed? Is it more likely that it’s somebody posing?"

I wonder about that.  We already have one poseur, Truthfreedom, pretending to be Edward Feser, a philosopher, which he is very definitely not.  I hesitate to say that Vividbleau has become poseur #2.  He's made some pretty squiggy arguments, but none so bad that I would name a fake university after him.  

Many of the Prager videos I've seen have been outright fraudulent.  There's one in particular where a black lady tells the "truth" about the Democratic party and totally fails to mention the party's sea change in 1932 when FDR took over, the Dixiecrats (left over racists from the pre-32 party) or how Nixon converted all those Dixiecrats to Republicans.

Vivid's never pulled anything that low that I've seen.

Edited to add: And I can't see really see Prager posting on UD.  That blog's numbers are so low he wouldn't let his third under-assistant (provisional) waste his time on it.

Edited by CeilingCat on Mar. 22 2020,00:42

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,02:29   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Mar. 22 2020,09:18)
My Top Sekrit source allowed me to quote them

Did you notice that UD commenter "vivibleau" in effect revealed his
identity last November?  Stop me if you always knew this, but ...  In
a comment on November 9 he bragged:

"I have been aware of this for many years, but it was dramatically
brought home last week when I was a guest on “Real Time With Bill
Maher.” Given that the other two guests on the panel and more or less
the entire studio audience were on the left, their reactions to what I
said proved my point."

Link:
https://uncommondescent.com/intelli....-687502

Looking at the Bill Maher show website soon after that, I found the
video.  The only right-wing guest was a certain gentleman who has
modestly named a university after himself, albeit one that exists only
on YouTube.

Link to show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....-KV6D90

So that is who  vividbleau  is.  He is someone who has fairly well
incriminated himself on the subject of coronavirus, though no one at
UD is mentioning that (PZ Myers went after him recently on that).

But maybe you knew all this.

I'll pass on the offer of the prize of bog roll.

That's not quite how I see it. If you follow the UD link you can see that Vivid has put all of that comment in quotation marks, closing with:

[...]On that point, ironically, left and right can agree.” Dennis Prager

In a follow up post s/he writes in response to that comment:

Those points are from Dennis Prager and the point he is making is that left and right have different perceptions of reality.

So my take is that VividBleu is a fanboy/girl of Prager, which IMO is about par for the average UDer, and not Prager hisself.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,07:24   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Mar. 22 2020,01:38)
Stevestory: "Saying what he did, isn’t he begging to be outed? Is it more likely that it’s somebody posing?"

I wonder about that.  We already have one poseur, Truthfreedom, pretending to be Edward Feser, a philosopher, which he is very definitely not.  I hesitate to say that Vividbleau has become poseur #2.  He's made some pretty squiggy arguments, but none so bad that I would name a fake university after him.  

Many of the Prager videos I've seen have been outright fraudulent.  There's one in particular where a black lady tells the "truth" about the Democratic party and totally fails to mention the party's sea change in 1932 when FDR took over, the Dixiecrats (left over racists from the pre-32 party) or how Nixon converted all those Dixiecrats to Republicans.

Edited to add: And I can't see really see Prager posting on UD.  That blog's numbers are so low he wouldn't let his third under-assistant (provisional) waste his time on it.

“150 years ago Democrats started the Klan, therefore today they’re the racists!” Is about the stupidest nonsense I’ve ever seen.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,08:23   

Man, TruthFreedom is a loon. He makes BatShit77 look mentally stable.  :p

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,08:57   

Kairosfocus is now promoting an article about the coronavirus on the website watt’s up with that, a climate science denial blog.

What a genius that guy is.  :D

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,09:17   

From that article KF linked:

Conclusions

Should the world be concerned? Perhaps.

Will there be a terrible Wuhan pandemic? Probably not.

Again, the analogy to climate change alarm is striking. Alarm based on lack of underlying scientific knowledge plus unfounded worst case projections.

Proven human to human transmissibility and the likely (since proven) ineffectiveness of surgical masks were real early concerns. But the Wuhan virus will probably not become pandemic, or even endemic.

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,10:24   

Barry Arrington
March 22, 2020 at 9:18 am
Mimus has been shown the door. When you “argument” is “fuck off,” you can expect to be instantly banned from this site.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,10:35   

When you “argument” is “fuck off,”

Sometimes it be like that, tho.  :D

Hey, mimus, whoever you are, you’re free to let us know over here.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,11:29   

Re "There's one in particular where a black lady tells the "truth" about the Democratic party and totally fails to mention the party's sea change in 1932 when FDR took over, the Dixiecrats (left over racists from the pre-32 party) or how Nixon converted all those Dixiecrats to Republicans."

Yeah, political parties are run by committee - and membership and opinions of committees change over time. One might even say, they evolve (or devolve, sometimes?).

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,15:37   

Barry is channeling DaveTard:

The people at CDC are scare mongering. They are government bureaucrats; that is what they do. Being smart and being inclined to scare monger are not mutually exclusive. You should write that down.

Link

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,16:27   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Mar. 22 2020,16:37)

The people at CDC are scare mongering. They are government bureaucrats; that is what they do. Being smart and being inclined to scare monger are not mutually exclusive. You should write that down.

Link

Crazy times over at UD these days. That coronavirus thread is bananapants.

Cubist

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2020,19:37   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 22 2020,07:24)
Quote (CeilingCat @ Mar. 22 2020,01:38)

“150 years ago Democrats started the Klan, therefore today they’re the racists!” Is about the stupidest nonsense I’ve ever seen.

Yep. If your most recent evidence that the Democrats are the real racists dates back to 8-10 decades ago, you're pretty much admitting that in the here and now, it's the fucking GOP who are, in fact, the real racists.

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,10:54   

Re the discussion over at UD about chloroquine, here's something for them to hear, from a friend of mine who teaches at a medical school:

"Seriously, people. Hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin *may* be a treatment for Covid-19. (Though it's hard to know: the much-ballyhooed, non-peer-reviewed study has n = 24 in the treatment group, which is split into three groups of 8 per, making its statistical power, um, questionable; also excluded from data analysis were any patients who needed ICU treatment or died, which is a little like me claiming that 100% of students pass my classes, if you exclude the students with failing grades.) What it for sure is, though, is a drug combination that can cause fatal heart arrhythmias if not properly monitored, and hydroxychloroquine is essential for treating some diseases, like lupus. So do not have your asymptomatic self pester your physician to try to score this combo of drugs. Not only will it probably not help you and possibly hurt you, you'd also be contributing to a shortage of a drug for people who really do need it. K thx."

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,12:50   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Mar. 23 2020,08:54)
Re the discussion over at UD about chloroquine, here's something for them to hear, from a friend of mine who teaches at a medical school:

"Seriously, people. Hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin *may* be a treatment for Covid-19. (Though it's hard to know: the much-ballyhooed, non-peer-reviewed study has n = 24 in the treatment group, which is split into three groups of 8 per, making its statistical power, um, questionable; also excluded from data analysis were any patients who needed ICU treatment or died, which is a little like me claiming that 100% of students pass my classes, if you exclude the students with failing grades.) What it for sure is, though, is a drug combination that can cause fatal heart arrhythmias if not properly monitored, and hydroxychloroquine is essential for treating some diseases, like lupus. So do not have your asymptomatic self pester your physician to try to score this combo of drugs. Not only will it probably not help you and possibly hurt you, you'd also be contributing to a shortage of a drug for people who really do need it. K thx."

Bares repeating.

That was similar to my take on this, but I have been out of medicine over 30 years.

Edited by Dr.GH on Mar. 23 2020,10:50

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,15:32   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 22 2020,16:27)

Link

Barry seems to think I'm clueless about statistics, and of course he expresses this in his usual self-effacing way.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,16:29   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Mar. 23 2020,15:32)

Link

Barry seems to think I'm clueless about statistics, and of course he expresses this in his usual self-effacing way.

He doesn’t know what a normal curve is. He thinks that anything shaped vaguely like a bell is a normal curve.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,16:36   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Mar. 23 2020,16:29)

Link

He doesn’t know what a normal curve is. He thinks that anything shaped vaguely like a bell is a normal curve.

Barry’s been hanging around UD too long.  He’s forgotten what normal looks like.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,17:12   

Should I include a link to Tom Lehrer?

Moreover, Werner von Braun, who first put a man on the moon, was a devout Christian

von Braun?

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,17:22   

Quote (khan @ Mar. 23 2020,17:12)

Moreover, Werner von Braun, who first put a man on the moon, was a devout Christian

von Braun?

And now that’s stuck in my head.  “Once the rockets go up who cares where they come down?  That’s not my department,” says Werner von Braun.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,19:14   

In German and English I know how to count down; and I'm learning Chinese says Werner von Braun

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,19:15   

Ed George
March 23, 2020 at 3:36 pm

I am in a quandary. There are two people arguing over what a normal distribution looks like. Should I listen to the person who makes a living as a statistician, or should I listen to a lawyer? How will I ever decide?

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 23 2020,22:02   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Mar. 23 2020,17:22)
Quote (khan @ Mar. 23 2020,17:12)

von Braun?

And now that’s stuck in my head.  “Once the rockets go up who cares where they come down?  That’s not my department,” says Werner von Braun.

Heh.  By pure coincidence I was listening to Tom Lehrer last night and that exact song before any of this was posted.

Must be DESIGN!!   :D

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 24 2020,16:31   

Buffalo
March 24, 2020 at 3:11 pm
We need more tests! So they can keep the body count scare going.

jfc

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 24 2020,21:25   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Mar. 23 2020,16:36)

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Mar. 23 2020,16:29)

Link

Barry’s been hanging around UD too long.  He’s forgotten what normal looks like.

I wonder if ambulance chasing counts as an essential business in Colorado?   :p

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"I'm a female retired marine biologist"

Whizz-dumb from Joe "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest female impersonator YEC.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 25 2020,09:46   

Link

He is toothache incarnate. Considerable word lawyering around "bell curve" and "bell shaped curve". Enjoy the meta-irony of these curves: https://books.google.com/ngrams....3B%2Cc0

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2020,16:58   

For a more "sophisticated" look at The Shutdown, turn to First Things magazine and read the article by editor R.R. Reno entitled Say No to Death's Dominion, written March 23, 2019.  He says of Cuomo's shutdown orders, "This statement reflects a disastrous sentimentalism. Everything for the sake of physical life? What about justice, beauty, and honor? There are many things more precious than life."

Yes, like shopping.  The article gets worse.  For instance, I've just quoted the first sentences of the opening paragraph.  That same paragraph ends with, 'The Eucharist itself is now subordinated to the false god of “saving lives.”'  To which I can only say, "Amen!"  

He goes on to say, "Truth is another casualty of this sentimentalism. The media bombard the public with warnings about the danger posed by the coronavirus, when the truth is that only a small percent of the population of New York is at risk."  One of the (over 1000) commenters to this piece reminded him that if six people play Russian Roulette, only one of them is in danger.

Later he gets into the terrible danger of sentimentalism: "There is a demonic side to the sentimentalism of saving lives at any cost. Satan rules a kingdom in which the ultimate power of death is announced morning, noon, and night. But Satan cannot rule directly. God alone has the power of life and death, and thus Satan can only rule indirectly. He must rely on our fear of death."  So we know now that Satan is behind both the virus and the efforts to stop it.

First Things is supposed to be a magazine for Catholic sophisticates.  (They list Dembski, an ex-Catholic as one of their authors.)  None of this Rush Limbaugh stuff for them.  But it appears on actual inspection to be a training ground for those who wish to comment on Uncommon Descent.  

I hope the UD crowd notices this and contributes comments to that magazine.

Cubist

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2020,03:16   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Mar. 26 2020,16:58)
For a more "sophisticated" look at The Shutdown, turn to First Things magazine and read the article by editor R.R. Reno entitled Say No to Death's Dominion

Let me see if I grok this mess. There's a bunch of guys who are totes okay with letting god knows how many thousand people just fucking die, because Money. There's a bunch of other people who would kinda like to reduce the ultimate body count, despite Money. And according to the ones who are okay with thousands of needless deaths… the ones who aren't okay with thousands of needless deaths are the "culture of death", and the ones who are okay with that are the "culture of life".

Have I got that straight?

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2020,09:13   

Cubist, that's the way it might seem to an atheist, but that's because our morality has no firm foundation, we just cling to the Golden Rule and think that mass death is bad.  Sadly, we have no moral norm beyond, "I wouldn't like mass death if it happened to me."  Pure selfishness, in other words.  "Death is icky, so don't do it to me."

If we'd just read the Bible and go to church once in a while, we'd be regaled with tales of God Himself killing people by the thousands.  The Flood, the First-Born Egyptians, all the plagues, etc.  Not to mention slavery being perfectly ok, along with it's correlate, selling your virgin daughter as a slave, along with slaughtering the inhabitants of cities you conquer down to the last Man, Woman, Child and presumably Unborn Child.  That's providing you slaughter their cattle too, of course.

And worst of all, Making it hard to go to Mass or other religious services.  Hey, they NEED those donations!

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2020,09:16   

The board notified me that I had a private message, but then it refused to actually show me any messages written since 2013.  I think it's a long standing flaw in the system. Sorry.

13918 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (464) < ... 458 459 460 461 462 [463] 464 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]