RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 252 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 262 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
socle

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,11:56   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Aug. 27 2010,06:56)
Dembski's former boss, Albert Mohler, declares evolution and Christianity to be incompatible.

Comments are open over there.

Mohler:

"We end up with enormous problems if we try to interpret a historical fall and understand a historical fall in an old-Earth rendering," Mohler said, referring to the school of interpretation that views a metaphorical reading of the creation passages in Genesis as compatible with both Christianity and evolutionary science. "This is most clear when it comes to Adam's sin."

"Was it true that, as Paul argues, when sin came, death came?" Mohler asked. "Well just keep in mind that if the Earth is indeed old, and we infer that it is old because of the scientific data, the scientific data is also there to claim that long before the emergence of Adam -- if indeed there is the recognition of a historical Adam -- and certainly long before there was the possibility of Adam's sin, there were all the effects of sin that are biblically attributed to the fall and not to anything before the fall. And we're not only talking about death, we're talking about death by the millions and billions."

I think his head is about to 'asplode.

Anyway, everyone knows Dembski already solved this problem, as long as we grant that effects can precede their causes. I think StephenB proved that once.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,12:16   

Evolution makes Women Prettier

But beer works faster! -dt

--------------
I知 referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I知 not an evolutionist, I知 a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,13:06   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Aug. 27 2010,20:16)

OH YEAH? GIRYMAN MUDFENCE INUIT CARRYING CONCEALED PINKO CARPET MUNCHING FEM NCO ARMY BRAT CRABURETOR CHAIN SAW DEPUTY SHERIFF DEET DOG CANCER CURE K9 WALKING BACKWARDS CANUK DYKE SMARTER THANA DODGE FULL OF TURNIPS HOMO!!

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"Abbie Smith (ERV) who's got to be the most obnoxious arrogant snot I've ever seen except for when I look in a mirror" DAVE TARD
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,13:16   

Quote (k.e.. @ Aug. 27 2010,14:06)

OH YEAH? GIRYMAN MUDFENCE INUIT CARRYING CONCEALED PINKO CARPET MUNCHING FEM NCO ARMY BRAT CRABURETOR CHAIN SAW DEPUTY SHERIFF DEET DOG CANCER CURE K9 WALKING BACKWARDS CANUK DYKE SMARTER THANA DODGE FULL OF TURNIPS HOMO!!

OK, put down the cheezypoofs and back away from the Inuit woman slowly...

--------------
I知 referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,13:20   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Aug. 27 2010,21:16)
Quote (k.e.. @ Aug. 27 2010,14:06)

OK, put down the cheezypoofs and back away from the Inuit woman slowly...

SHUT UP I'M TALKING.
MICHAEL DELL LIKED MY COFFEE AND SO SHOULD YOU. I INVENTED INUITS. d.t.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"Abbie Smith (ERV) who's got to be the most obnoxious arrogant snot I've ever seen except for when I look in a mirror" DAVE TARD
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,13:34   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Aug. 27 2010,11:16)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder?

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,13:57   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Aug. 27 2010,10:16)

He looked at a sample of more than 2,000 men and women in America, following them through four decades of life.

Their attractiveness was assessed from photographs taken during the study, which also collected data on the number of children they had.

Assessed by whom?

This looks like it came from The Onion.

--------------
"But it's disturbing to think someone actually thinks creationism -- having put it's hand on the hot stove every day for the last 400 years -- will get a different result tomorrow." -- midwifetoad

Tom Ames

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,15:02   

Has anyone ever figured out WTF "Coffee!!" means?

(Other than that UD is run by people with 2nd-rate intelligence, I mean.)

--------------
-Tom Ames

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,15:11   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Aug. 27 2010,15:02)

Not quite, although I suspect it has got something with brains - or lack thereof, and dregs to do.

--------------
YEC creationists denigrate science without an inkling of what their lives would be without it. YEC creationism is an enrageous, abominable insult to the the human intellect.
                                                         Me.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,15:16   

Haven't you ever wanted to ask creationists "What grounds do you base your argument on?"

Veal. Tip. I'll get me coat.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

Tom Ames

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,15:21   

From the context I'd guess that it means that they've got a latte consternation about something.

Edited by Tom Ames on Aug. 27 2010,13:26

--------------
-Tom Ames

Tom Ames

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,15:25   

Or that there's some kind of fake controversy brewing.

--------------
-Tom Ames

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,15:36   

When you wake up to it, it smells.

--------------
罵et痴 not make a joke of ourselves.

Pat Robertson

Gunthernacus

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,15:39   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Aug. 27 2010,16:25)
Or that there's some kind of fake controversy brewing.

You can tell it is a fake controversy, because while it may show up on Fox News - it is never in the French press.

--------------
Given that we are all descended from Adam and Eve...genetic defects as a result of intra-family marriage would not begin to crop up until after the first few dozen generations. - Dr. Hugh Ross

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,17:40   

Quote (Tom Ames @ Aug. 27 2010,13:02)

It's Dense's way of saying that the post is supposed to be for "fun" and shouldn't be taken seriously.  The latter part is, of course, not a problem.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2010,18:44   

As many of you know, earlier in the year, our much beloved opposite Barry Arrington threw his hat into the ring for the Colorado Board of Education. I have been keeping my Google-fu working to determine how BarryA's candidacy was progressing. I was surprised to find no mention of him in the results of the recent Republican Primary in Colorado. I was confused until an article came up recently offering some speculation that his candidacy was stillborn for lack of interest. Given that his opponent for GOP love was an actual educator, it is probably no wonder that culture warrior Arrington didn't get very far.

But, wait!!!! That's not all!1!!11!!

We get an interesting glimpse into Barry's second job as the treasurer of MichelePAC, the political action committee of everyone's favorite Republican, Michele Bachmann. It seems BarryA had a problem spelling her name.

Linky dinky

One cannot help wonder how that mutation/duplication event happened. Was it random or intelligently designed?  Zachriel, did you install Word Mutagenation on Barry's PC?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it. We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 28 2010,04:02   

Dembski's former boss, Albert Mohler, declares evolution and Christianity to be incompatible.

So the president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary now presumes to speak for the whole of Christianity? I am sure that all the other denominations will be grateful that Mohler has relieved them of that tiresome burden.

I was raised to believe that humility was a Christian virtue. Mohler appears to belong to that section of the Southern Baptist community who have abandoned that requirement, perhaps as being doctrinally unsound - or just inconvenient.

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 28 2010,04:29   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Aug. 27 2010,18:44)

We get an interesting glimpse into Barry's second job as the treasurer of MichelePAC, the political action committee of everyone's favorite Republican, Michele Bachmann. It seems BarryA had a problem spelling her name.

Linky dinky

Don't knock it. It's a political marriage made in Democratic heaven. Just imagine a Palin/Bachmann 'dream' ticket with Barry as campaign manager. The trainwreck would be a sight to behold.

I was also amusing myself by imagining staged election debates run by Barry. The auditoria would be rigged so that anyone, whether candidate or questioner, who, in Barry's opinion, spoke out of turn would be instantly plunged through a trapdoor into the dark and dusty basement below, never to be heard again.

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 28 2010,05:36   

Quote (Seversky @ Aug. 28 2010,04:29)
... The auditoria would be rigged so that anyone, whether candidate or questioner, who, in Barry's opinion, spoke out of turn would be instantly plunged through a trapdoor into the dark and dusty basement below, never to be heard again.

Thank you for making me laugh - and spilling my coffe all over the keyboard! ;-)

--------------
Barry Arrington is a bitch.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 28 2010,08:09   

Clive:
That痴 partly why these discussions are kind of hopeless, one can find writings to fit whatever they want him to say, and folks like us are caught up in the web of inconsistencies arguing with each other as if we operated under the assumption that he was consistent.

Or under the assumption that it mattered at all. Clive, even if we found out Darwin was a baby eater who liked em fried best of all it would not change anything to do with how we understand evolution to operate.

And anyway, why even bother with the inconsistencies Clive? You know he was a racist SOB so what does it even matter if he was inconsistent? Or has the "Darwin was racist" canard worn thin?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger痴 work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 28 2010,09:24   

Quote (fnxtr @ Aug. 27 2010,14:57)
Quote (dvunkannon @ Aug. 27 2010,10:16)

He looked at a sample of more than 2,000 men and women in America, following them through four decades of life.

Their attractiveness was assessed from photographs taken during the study, which also collected data on the number of children they had.

Assessed by whom?

This looks like it came from The Onion.

I googled around to find the source, a 2006 article in the Journal of Theoretical Biology by LSE evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa.

According to Wikipedia, Kanazawa and this article should have been a great target for Denyse's Coffee! series on evo-psycho. But apparently Kanazawa likes Ann Coulter, so maybe he gets a pass.

--------------

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 28 2010,19:35   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Aug. 27 2010,18:44)
As many of you know, earlier in the year, our much beloved opposite Barry Arrington threw his hat into the ring for the Colorado Board of Education. I have been keeping my Google-fu working to determine how BarryA's candidacy was progressing. I was surprised to find no mention of him in the results of the recent Republican Primary in Colorado. I was confused until an article came up recently offering some speculation that his candidacy was stillborn for lack of interest. Given that his opponent for GOP love was an actual educator, it is probably no wonder that culture warrior Arrington didn't get very far.

Linky dinky

One cannot help wonder how that mutation/duplication event happened. Was it random or intelligently designed? Zachriel, did you install Word Mutagenation on Barry's PC?

I'd heard that it had been misspelled, but I didn't think I'd actually "know" the perp.  Small world, or is it just that there are only so many crackpots out there that some overlap is expected?

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 28 2010,19:39   

Quote (Seversky @ Aug. 28 2010,04:02)

So the president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary now presumes to speak for the whole of Christianity? I am sure that all the other denominations will be grateful that Mohler has relieved them of that tiresome burden.

I was raised to believe that humility was a Christian virtue. Mohler appears to belong to that section of the Southern Baptist community who have abandoned that requirement, perhaps as being doctrinally unsound - or just inconvenient.

We were always told that humility was a virtue as well, but in practice it either was forgotten completely, or else there was a load of false humility - ranging from the "I'm so pitiful aren't I awesome" bit to the "I thank Jesus that I am so awesome - it's not me, it's Him, but aren't I awesome" bit.  

Not to say there wasn't justified pride, but that's not what I was highlighting.

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 29 2010,04:11   

Corny, lay off the booze - shouldn't you be in church instead of building pathetic strawmen? After all, it's Sunday.
And then there is the complaint that those mutations really aren稚 random. So the mutations knew what to design? Of course not, but, but

But what? Of course the mutations are random with respect to the design. And that is issue at hand.

Or there is the retort that natural selection remedies all. Those mutations aren稚 random at all, they have been selected by a reproductive differential. But of course this after the fact selection does not dictate which mutations should occur.

Is he really that stupid? Either he still doesn't get it, or he is an abysmally bad liar.

--------------

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 29 2010,05:40   

( c) all of the above

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 29 2010,10:44   

Hunter may be judged by looking at those who come to his defence.

--------------
罵et痴 not make a joke of ourselves.

Pat Robertson

DiEb

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 30 2010,02:20   

W. Dembski announces that the Search for a Search is finally out. (Nothing about it being the coffin nail to Darwinism, though). As comments are turned off, I added my two cents at one of O'Leary's coffee threads's moderation queue:
@W. Dembski and R. Marks
Congrats for getting the paper out - and thanks for the kind acknowledgment!

I'm afraid that I have still a problem with the paper (which I mentioned in an email to R. Marks and on which I elaborated here), but I hope that this will be resolved by more careful reading :-)

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 30 2010,04:04   

Quote (DiEb @ Aug. 30 2010,02:20)
(snip) - and thanks for the kind acknowledgment!

I thought you were joking until I checked the paper. So they want to secure your help for future projects - and you give it for free, too.

I'm afraid that I have still a problem with the paper (which I mentioned in an email to R. Marks and on which I elaborated here), but I hope that this will be resolved by more careful reading :-)
Will the link survive?

--------------

DiEb

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 30 2010,04:38   

Quote (Kattarina98 @ Aug. 30 2010,04:04)

Quote (DiEb @ Aug. 30 2010,02:20)
(snip) - and thanks for the kind acknowledgment!

I thought you were joking until I checked the paper. So they want to secure your help for future projects - and you give it for free, too.

Perhaps I should have chosen anonymity - as this C.J. guy did :-)
Will the link survive?

Will the comment appear in a timely manner is the more pressing question...

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 30 2010,05:21   

Did anybody notice the neat piece of fantasy buried in Dembski's biographical notes?

Go to the last page of the "Paper" and look first at Marks' Brief Biological History:
Brief Biographical History:
1977-2003 Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
2003- Distinguished Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Baylor University, Waco, Texas

So, Marks was in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Washington, Seattle, from 1977 to 2003 and he's been Distinguished Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering at Baylor from 2003 to the present. No problems here.

Now look just to the left at Dembski's Biographical History:  
1996- Senior Fellow with Discovery Institute
2000- Associate Research Professor in the conceptual foundations of science at Baylor University
2007- Senior Research Scientist with the Evolutionary Informatics Lab

Dembski thinks he's still an associate professor at Baylor!!

Dr. Dr. Dembski, you are NOTHING at Baylor University! You were kicked out years ago, and you destroyed the career of President Sloan on your way out. You aren't even allowed to eat in the cafeteria at Baylor University, let alone be on the faculty! They wouldn't even accept you as an aging post-doc!

--------------
Like every other academic field, philosophy of religion has its share of hacks and mediocrities. Edward Feser

羨nything is a 途eal possibility in the mind of one seeking to deny the obvious. William J Murray

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 252 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 262 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]